Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2023, 08:25 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mondeo

Looking at upgrading the wifes dearly loving but crapped out 04 Subaru Outback. Have been looking at '12 - '16 Foresters but there is a local Ford Mondeo Trend Wagon 2017
Great little wagon. Diesel. 6.1 litres per 100 k.m. so very economical. Cruise control, heated front seats, leather seats, keyless entry & start, Bluetooth, navigation, driver assistance, power windows & tinted glass. 2 months rego. Full service records. Recently serviced. Good tyres. Excellent condition inside and out. (Small scrape on back left panel, see photo) See 188 000 k.m.

$16K private

whats your thoughts.
Old 26-04-2023, 08:28 PM   #2
stock1991
Limited supply

Default Re: Mondeo

No idea but I like the idea of diesel
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2023, 08:50 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Being local to you and with 188k's I'd say its spent a bit of time on the highway which is a good thing for a diesel, but I dont think its worth anywhere near $16k.
They're not a sought after car and being isolated puts the ball in your court.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2023, 09:12 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

DPF and DSG - avoid,

If you want a MD Mondeo look at the Ecoboost version of it, has a normal torque converter auto:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...21430092/?Cr=0

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...21117254/?Cr=1

DSG gearbox is AIDS-on-wheels for a second hand purchase, they're fragile.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2023, 09:13 PM   #5
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

don't, its the gearbox problem, nice cars but when it goes its a 8k repair. dad babied his and serviced the trans as per specs, only highway kms and it dropped its lunch at 140k. there is a reason you don't see many arounf
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2023, 09:18 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
don't, its the gearbox problem, nice cars but when it goes its a 8k repair. dad babied his and serviced the trans as per specs, only highway kms and it dropped its lunch at 140k. there is a reason you don't see many arounf
Good to see you got in before the 'but the diesel one is the wet clutch DSG' like it actually makes a difference - wet clutch, dry clutch, they're all fail and AIDS.

You're now the second AFF member reporting a wet clutch DSG failure with a diesel Euro Ford.

Hopefully it wasn't the unleaded one

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-04-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Old 26-04-2023, 09:38 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so if I was to look further I need 'selectshift' ?

Franco, you have shown 2 there must be more, what do I search for without DSG
Old 26-04-2023, 09:39 PM   #8
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Good to see you got in before the 'but the diesel one is the wet clutch DSG' like it actually makes a difference - wet clutch, dry clutch, they're all fail and AIDS.

You're now the second AFF member reporting a wet clutch DSG failure with a diesel Euro Ford.

Hopefully it wasn't the unleaded one
definitely diesel one, dad was spewing, fix a 12k car for 8k or send to wrecker for $500. he fixed it then traded it on a rav 4 hybrid.
Old 26-04-2023, 09:40 PM   #9
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post

buy a Camry, please do not buy a mondeo
Old 26-04-2023, 09:43 PM   #10
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not a Camry but go back to the Subie Forester?
Old 26-04-2023, 09:50 PM   #11
ToryMikey

Try an Ecoboost, still great on fuel but a much better transmission.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2023, 10:24 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post

Search by fuel type - petrol

All the unleaded Mondeos are torque converter autos, there's not many Ecoboost wagons, and only povvo spec ones (which have the 149KW version of the Ecoboost, not the 177KW one, same engine, same amount of torque just different tune)
Old 26-04-2023, 10:28 PM   #13
ToryMikey

Quote:
Search by fuel type - petrol

All the unleaded Mondeos are torque converter autos, there's not many Ecoboost wagons, and only povvo spec ones (which have the 149KW version of the Ecoboost, not the 177KW one, same engine, same amount of torque just different tune)
Povvo spec MD Mondeos still have a fair bit of kit IMO. A povvo spec petrol Mondeo wagon is a good reasonably priced family ride. And all Mondeos drive better than any Camry…

Although be careful, MC Mondeo Ecoboost petrols have Powerpoop gearboxes. The 2.3 naturally aspirated MC thankfully doesn’t have this problem.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2023, 02:13 PM   #14
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend recently bought a 2012-2014 (?) Mondeo diesel wagon, auto. I hope it's not the rubbish auto.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2023, 06:09 PM   #15
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After gogling Mondeo MD petrol and '14-'17 Subie Foresters the Forrester are generally more expensive, why would this be?
Are Subies just that better reliability?

My concern is our adult disability son who has difficulty getting into a 4WD but I dont think the subies seating would be that difficult
Old 27-04-2023, 06:30 PM   #16
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Suv 4 wd is far more popular with buyers than the ( to some) old fashioned station wagon concept

The eco boost petrol Mondeo conventional auto is the one to get

Subaru s more reliable - don’t know- doubt it.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2023, 06:45 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post
Povvo spec MD Mondeos still have a fair bit of kit IMO. A povvo spec petrol Mondeo wagon is a good reasonably priced family ride. And all Mondeos drive better than any Camry…

Although be careful, MC Mondeo Ecoboost petrols have Powerpoop gearboxes. The 2.3 naturally aspirated MC thankfully doesn’t have this problem.
Indeed they do, I wouldn't buy an MC Mondeo, the only Mondeo of that generation I'd consider is an MA/MB XR5 Mondeo as a weekender and those only come in manual, as well as being rare as rocking horse ****

I think the MD Mondeo Ecoboost is a nice car, its got the torque converter auto, they drive nicely, it has the same engine as the Ecoboost Falcon just its a front driver.

I'm not huge on Subaru as a second hand buy, expensive to maintain and repair, as well as a **** to work on too, however they hold their value pretty well thats why they're more expensive on the second hand market.

I don't mind the older 00s Subaru Forester, the turbo ones.

As far as Subaru reliability goes, its much of a muchness with modern cars, there's no truly trash car on the market these days with modern stuff, especially if something has been looked after, everything has its foibles, although I'd always avoid a car with a CVT or a DSG box, its too much of an unknown and a hell of an expense when they **** the bed, and they will **** the bed.

Euro Fords don't hold their value real well.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-04-2023 at 06:51 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2023, 06:50 PM   #18
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Indeed they do, I wouldn't buy an MC Mondeo, the only Mondeo of that generation I'd consider is an MA/MB XR5 Mondeo as a weekender and those only come in manual, as well as being rare as rocking horse ****

I think the MD Mondeo Ecoboost is a nice car, its got the torque converter auto, they drive nicely, it has the same engine as the Ecoboost Falcon just its a front driver.

I'm not huge on Subaru as a second hand buy, expensive to maintain and repair, as well as a **** to work on too, however they hold their value pretty well thats why they're more expensive on the second hand market.

I don't mind the older 00s Subaru Forester, the turbo ones.

Euro Fords don't hold their value real well

This
In a nutshell
Old 27-04-2023, 07:26 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I can attest to Subie's being quite tough. This is one where she decided to do a U turn...except I was in the way doing 80kmh.

When I stopped and walked back both the lady driver and her female passenger were sitting on the guard rail, without a scratch, telling everyone that they didn't see me. So yes, they're solid

Hopefully, if you get a Subaru you wont be crash testing it like this.

My company vehicle that she didn't see.

The Subie's right front guard

Old 27-04-2023, 07:39 PM   #20
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yee gawds and little fishes. But there was some messy underwear though.
Old 28-04-2023, 11:47 AM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Subie's run CVT's as well. Not sure when they first started using them though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2023, 12:41 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

My brother in Perth has a MC Mondeo trend diesel. Had it for many years and no issues. He's driven to Adelaide in it a couple of times with his family. I've driven it and it's a nice car to drive. Gearbox is very smooth. I think it's done north of 150,000kms.
Old 28-04-2023, 02:58 PM   #23
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Biggest problem with dual clutch auto's is traffic crawl, creeping along in heavy traffic has the box jumping up and down between gears which creates excessive friction and wear.
The whole principle of their operation is to preselect the next gear to reduce shift times.
When crawling in 1st gear the box has 2nd ready to go, and it does so when the parameters are right ie. roadspeed, problem is it goes to release the clutches on 1st to engage 2nd and traffic slows again, you lift off the throttle and brake, parameters ask for 1st again, confusion sets in, clutches slip, heat, friction material buildup, box begins to fail.
We have a form of them in some of our coaches and in urban crawl they start banging between gears and shuddering, get them out of traffic and they're great.
Had clutch packs done recently on one.

Not saying it cant happen in any example, but country/highway driven examples should have better results.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2023, 04:07 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Biggest problem with dual clutch auto's is traffic crawl, creeping along in heavy traffic has the box jumping up and down between gears which creates excessive friction and wear.
The whole principle of their operation is to preselect the next gear to reduce shift times.
When crawling in 1st gear the box has 2nd ready to go, and it does so when the parameters are right ie. roadspeed, problem is it goes to release the clutches on 1st to engage 2nd and traffic slows again, you lift off the throttle and brake, parameters ask for 1st again, confusion sets in, clutches slip, heat, friction material buildup, box begins to fail.
We have a form of them in some of our coaches and in urban crawl they start banging between gears and shuddering, get them out of traffic and they're great.
Had clutch packs done recently on one.

Not saying it cant happen in any example, but country/highway driven examples should have better results.
Spot on, they're junk in suburban driving where you go traffic light to traffic light, add in hilly terrain and its a recipe for a butchered DSG and nearly 5 figure invoice.

They get on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off the clutches in 1st gear as you creep around traffic - really you should adopt a different driving style with a car with a DSG box, rather than driving it like a torque converter auto.

I'd be hanging back in traffic and creating a gap to roll around off the throttle in 1st gear, just like a manual car rather than throttle/brake/throttle/brake/throttle/brake like you can in torque converter auto cars.

They're great when they work properly though, the way they can instantly smash the next gear under WOT is quite nice.
Old 28-04-2023, 05:58 PM   #25
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for all the wisdom and input, we are now heading petrol Mondeo hoping for one in SA before the old girls 70th birthday end of May
Old 28-04-2023, 07:17 PM   #26
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Spot on, they're junk in suburban driving where you go traffic light to traffic light, add in hilly terrain and its a recipe for a butchered DSG and nearly 5 figure invoice.

They get on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off the clutches in 1st gear as you creep around traffic - really you should adopt a different driving style with a car with a DSG box, rather than driving it like a torque converter auto.

I'd be hanging back in traffic and creating a gap to roll around off the throttle in 1st gear, just like a manual car rather than throttle/brake/throttle/brake/throttle/brake like you can in torque converter auto cars.

They're great when they work properly though, the way they can instantly smash the next gear under WOT is quite nice.

Yes spot on
I drive my Dct Puma to suit the transmission and having come off 20 years of manuals it’s as you say

And yeah dct s don’t like steep or mildly steep drives - when I m doing gig delivery to houses with steep drives I park at the top - end- start and walk down/ up.
Old 28-04-2023, 09:52 PM   #27
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BFIII Falcon petrol wagon will avoid most problems listed above, has 4 (count 'em) speed torque converter auto that's cheap to renew
Old 28-04-2023, 10:09 PM   #28
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haa this is to replaced the wifes abused crappedout '04 Subie Outback.
I have an FG!! ute soon to be replaced with FGX XR6
Old 28-04-2023, 10:15 PM   #29
Swordie

Mazda 6 wagon could be an option.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2023, 10:49 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If the significant other can drive manual, Hyundai Elantra SR Turbo is worth a look:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...14738839/?Cr=1

Auto version is potato DSG unfortunately.

Or Hyundai Sonata is also OK:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...4844125/?Cr=10

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...1654071/?Cr=18

The 2018 model gets the 8sp torque converter auto, previous model has a 6sp torque converter auto.

They don't steer as nice as the Mondeo but its also Korean, not European so is a bit more robust.

Kia Optima GT, same engine and gearbox:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...4837448/?Cr=16

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...3271453/?Cr=15

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 28-04-2023 at 11:04 PM.