Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 28-01-2005, 01:41 AM   #1
NZ
~~~

Default Smartlock retrofit!

My car being EBII but made 5/92 didn't have smartock from the factory. Smartlock was introduced 10/92, 8 months after EBII cars were made. This created a problem for me as I could not run any later processors and earlier ones from EBI created problems as they did not crontrol the A/C clutch and ran a BAP sensor. Not that I was interested in running an early processor anyway.

Months ago when Ignition picked up a whole heap of sprint parts cheap among them was the ECU. I pm'ed him and paid him $250 for the ECU. The reason I wanted it was because it will suit my engine a bit better, I have a genuine maf for it as the GT engines has unique maf's, and best of all it is supported by the twEECer.

So in order to run this ECU I had to install smartlock. I have heard about smartlock bypasses but to be honest I have never seen or heard of anyone using them. I also wanted to do this project cheaply, and my friend from ford can help me if I got stuck doing it.

So awy to the wreckers I went and picked up the parts I needed.

From an NC2 Fairlaine sportsman I got the dash loom and smartlock module.
From sunny I got a non functional ED ignition switch then later got another from a local wrecker. I also found a smartlock ED Futura with an Sports dash and destroyed it for the smartlock jewel and the little strip along the bottom so I could have the smartlock writing. I can just add these to my cluster as theres a spare space for them.

First step was to remove my entire dash. Not a hard job since I have seen and done it before. I then removed the wiring loom from the dash and reinstalled only the looms back into the car. The original ignition switch (non smartlock was removed and the ignition barrels swapped between the two. I needed the keys from both to beable to remove the barrels and swap them.

With that out of the way I sat down one night and pulled the sportsman dash loom apart and pulled out all the wiring from the smartlock module plug. That took about 2 hours. Then I sat in the car and started hooking wires into others removing/ replacing plugs. The whole reason to have everything plugged up was so I could get the system running properly without gremlins.

Tonight i finished doing that. I was a bit worried because I was told the car would crank but not start, but mine didnt even crank. So I plugged the sprint processor in and turned the Key to on. Normally the jewel would flash but mine didnt so I went back over everything checking voltages at the pins on the module. Everything was in order so I tested the plug for the jewel light 12v on one side and a small but erratic voltage on the other so that suggested it was infact working. Plugged the jewlel back in and hey the thing was flashing. I left the ignition switch to on and went inside and watched the tennis. Just by chance I went out to check it and as I walked outside the door locks cycled. A good sign! turned the key and she started and ran! It run poorly because the standard maf and 19# injectors which brings me to the next stage.

I bought some near new 24# injectors from philstoj months and months ago along with a fuel rail and fuel reg. Because they are AU injectors they have the different plug. My ford friend had a brand new AU injector loom so he sold it to me. I will take the plugs off that loom and use them on my EB loom. Also I will beable to get the TPS plug from it and run the AU TPS sensor and give my AU T/B with E-series TPS already set up on it to wayne for his car (he's been waiting for it for so long now lol). The MAF is a bolt on no drama's.

It would have been easier to get a smartlock bypass (if they do exist) but this way I have learnt a lot about the system and it gives my car a little bit more security. Plus I can have remote central locking. I will beable to run the Sprint Processor now as it will suit the engine setup a bit better than the standard processor. In a few months I am getting a twEECer so I can't wait for that.

What I paid for the parts:

Dash loom: $45
Module : free in toolbox
Lock/Unlock switch: free in toolbox
1st ignition barrell: free
2nd ignition barrell: $60 (with Key)
Injection loom: $30
Maf is just a swap for my current one.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 01:52 AM   #2
InitialD
Low and Loud

Whooaa What a novel there

Looks like it wasnt too hard todo. I was wanting to fit Climate control and still have the Spack cluster like in the EB2 / ED GHIA but most looms were Smartlock. Good to know that i can retrofit smartlock now if needed :P

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

thats not too bad at all..
good to know its all working, i'd love to see how the tweecer works out for you
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Great work! No way I could have had the patience to do it. I would have blown something up! Keyless unlocking is kewlll.
I have 5 keypads if you wanna buy one ;)
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Nice effort, karl!

Fancy coming over to add smartlock to my car? ;) lol
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
NZ
~~~

;) how much for a key pad? ;)

Dave ;) its a pretty simple install you get the parts together and I'm up for it. ;) ;)

;)

;)

;)

Old 28-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #7
NZ
~~~

;) but ;) beware ;) I ;) have:( promised people that I ;) would do ;) work on their ;) cars and haven't ;) been able ;) to deliver due to ;) my work ;) (cough certain ea 5 speed ;) conversion;))

god I hate this smiley -> ;)

Old 28-01-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

hahahahahahahaha ;)

It's kewl mate (;)), i probably don't have MUCH need for smartlock anyways, i'donly kinda like it so i could fit an EL ecu to control my thermos. ;) lol
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #9
NZ
~~~

hehe. seriously its really easy i reckon it would take a day to do again

Old 28-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
XRated
Shoot.

;)Excellent;)Work;)Karl;)

(;)Just;)wanted;)to;)use;)these;)smileys;)to;)anno y;)you;))

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #11
spope
Banned

I'm kinda curious about this one... not so fussed about the immobilization bit, but getting the remote central working would be cool.
Well, maybe I'll find an eb2 fairmont loom somewhere.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #12
LUXO_8
windsor user

good stuff karl, great to hear it went together without a single problem!
i will eventually have to fit smartlock to my car to run the EL dash / wiring through it. now i know who to come to to get help!...

you coming to dyno day? ill grab maf and TB then:P

NB no ones asked this yet, but does it run any harder ?? or are you still having to put the dash back in first to find out.....

Last edited by LUXO_8; 28-01-2005 at 05:28 PM.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

;) Nice job Karl ;) BTW ;) Do you have ;) any bits left from the ;) ED cluster? ;) I need an odometer that works ;)

;) Oh Karl, ;) if it ever doesn't work just remember to replace the module ;)

;);););)
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 08:40 PM   #14
NZ
~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRated
ExcellentWorkKarl

(Justwantedtousethesesmileystoannoyyou)
:

Spope: you don't need a fairmont loom just any car that has smartlock.
MADNA_6: havent driven it yet, need to put the injectors in/convert plugs for it to run properly
Chook: Yes it seems all the diagnostic flow charts in the manual end with 'Replace module, download coses and retry'

Last edited by NZ; 28-01-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 28-01-2005, 09:18 PM   #15
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Yes, it does seem that way XY MkIX.
Old 29-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #16
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

kewl, i wouldn't mind doing this to the EA just to get the thermo's and shit happening since my neighbour wrote off his EL GLi.....now I just have to convince him to sell it to me....
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #17
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Hey poof, the lock you bought WAS operational but you guys just couldn't get the barrel from what I can remember....don't blame my parts! They are of super high quality ;)

Quote:
That took about 2 hours. Then I sat in the car and started hooking wires into others removing/ replacing plugs
What do you mean 'removing/replacing' plugs? Does that mean you unplugged EB2 loom stuff and connected the ED Smartlock stuff and then left the EB2 stuff hanging there? If you did that, I can't see how you could do the conversion to a EA easily. The plugs from EAI to EAII are all different so I can't see how EA plugs would be interchangeable with ED ones.

And also, I'm guessing the only loom you needed was the ED dash loom and you just cut out all the Smartlock related stuff? What is the other 'injection loom'?

Pretty interested in this stuff, Smartlock opens up a lot of possibilities.

Sundeep
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #18
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

That was Sundeep BTW.

Sundeep
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
Old 29-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

from what i can gather he took out the EB loom and put the NC Sportsman loom in its place.

the other injection loom is an AU V8 loom so he can cut the AU injector plugs off to splice them into the EB V8 loom to run the AU injectors

please correct me if i wrong though...................

Last edited by LUXO_8; 29-01-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 29-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #20
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

I wondered why we hadn't seen you in town lately karl.... must be running low on groceries by about now?
Old 29-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #21
Sundeep
Banned

Well you can't put a ED loom in to an EA, that's for sure...I've tried it. All you get is clicks and buzzing when you try to start it, and if you're extra lucky you might get smoke. You'd probably have to do a LOT more work to put this stuff in to an EA.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #22
LUXO_8
windsor user

be careful what ya wish for clint, he'll bring the tractor!
Old 29-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #23
NZ
~~~

Sunny what I did was remove only the wiring for the smartlock from the NC loom and overlay it onto my EB loom. Some wires get spliced straight onto the eb loom wherever you can find the appropriate coloured wires such as the door lock and unlock signal wires, courtosy lamp circuit, hazard signal circuit, the others like the start signal in and strart signal out, tailgate/boot switch its just a matter of pulling the terminals out of the appropriate plugs and swapping the smartlock wiring into it (thats if you went to the trouble of leaving the terminals intact.

Smartlock will definitly go into any model. you don't even need tibbe locks your own aftermarket conversion will work heck you don't even need the door locks to be there if you wanted to do this so you could run a later processor. Dash out is definitly the way to go however it would be a fricken hard otherwise.

The other loom is just an injection loom. The AU have different plugs on the injectors so I have that loom to get the plugs from. thats all thats for. Because the sprint runs 24# injectors and I have 19# I need to change them.

PS your lock wasn't stuffed it just had no key so picking it became difficult. I just said it was I knew you'd respond lol

Grocery level is fine I've driven the car to town a fw times now its pretty dodgy without a dash boaard tho. My cluster just sat on the steering column. I had to wait untill nobody was around before i attempted entry/exit manovours its like getting in with a roll cage trying to manouver my feet around and through wiring looms to get to the pedels. Oh and I burnt a hole through my floor mat and then through the carpet. The passenger side foot well light was sitting there I couls smell this slight smell but didnt realise till the next day the bulb (globe ) had melted its way through.

Anyone want the remains of a sportsman loom? Good luck trying to sort it out its basically a whole heap of wires connected by plugs

Old 29-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #24
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB MkII

Anyone want the remains of a sportsman loom? Good luck trying to sort it out its basically a whole heap of wires connected by plugs

HAHAHA

arent most wiring looms exactly that though Karl?

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #25
LUXO_8
windsor user

me thinks he means all the electrical tape is removed, would be a bloody jumbled mess!
Old 29-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #26
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Ok fess up, who DOESN'T have part of that car in their's?
Old 29-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #27
spope
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Ok fess up, who DOESN'T have part of that car in their's?
I know I do. That sportsman was stripped in like 2 days I think.
Quote:
Good luck trying to sort it out its basically a whole heap of wires connected by plugs
It's not that hard, as long as you have the bits that you want plugs for. I stripped one of Sunny's looms for the climate control parts that way.
So, does anyone want remainders of an EA Ghia loom? ;)
I mentioned getting a Fairmont loom because then it would be a hell of a lot easier getting all the cool BEM functions to work properly. The standard GL loom and Ghia looms are wired way differently. I've got trip computer, fairmont cluster, sound, lighting, cruise, and bem, soon to have climate as well. Just easier all round. ;)
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #28
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Eh it's Sunny again, I might try the Smartlock conversion then eh. Pulling the dash out is ****. I've done it so many times now.

Another thing though, doesn't the Smartlock loom connect in to the ECU loom somewhere? If it doesn't then why do people have trouble starting their cars when they put a Smartlock ECU in? And if it did have some sort of security line in there somewhere, you'd have to cut it and join the appropriate wire instead of splicing it?!?! This is the whole reason you put Smartlock in yours though isn't it? So you could fit the Sprint ECU.

Man I'm confused.

Karl I can imagine you cruising in to 'Town' without a dash lol....it's something only you could do...the man who flattened a bootlid and tied it to the back of his car, along with a couple of rotors for good measure lol.

And I don't have any parts from 'that' Sportsman :

Sundeep
Old 30-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #29
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

LoL is all the other rubbish still in the car too karl?

imagine if the cops pulled you over... somehow i dont think they'd be that concerned about the pedals missing rubbers this time rofl...
Old 30-01-2005, 08:29 PM   #30
NZ
~~~

Sunny the line that goes to the ECU is there in the dash loom also it goes right to the passenger side. I just ran it there without going into the ECU loom, just straight to the ECU. I'm pretty sure the non smartlock ecu plugs won't have a wire to the pin (6cyl) so you'd have to raid an old loom for the tewrminal and a short bit of wire. The V8 one when they aren't smartlock they have a wire there anyway what it does i have no idea it just means that if I want to swap back I have to swap the old wire back into the plug. Its a simple simple system sunny i might have explained it NQR. get the bits together and we'll convert your car. If ya still got the key for the ED Ignition switch we can use that. Seriously you won't beleive just how simple it is. Drive that turtle EA up 'ere lol

Last edited by NZ; 30-01-2005 at 08:37 PM.