Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
amisupposed2b

Default Won't Start

hey there guys,

in need of abit of help. The other day my car backfired, a really nasty one at that, I managed to get her back home. But now she wont start, she chokes but just wont pull through.

I went looking for the problem and I found that no spark is getting through the leads. Maybe the coil pack?

All fuses are fine, also just for a poke around, I placed my tester on some random cable infront of the engine just to see if any electricity was getting anywhere. Nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is up with it?

amisupposed2b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
aye you
The Origional, The Best

could be the coil pack, check the alternator too
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amisupposed2b
hey there guys,

in need of abit of help. The other day my car backfired, a really nasty one at that, I managed to get her back home. But now she wont start, she chokes but just wont pull through.

I went looking for the problem and I found that no spark is getting through the leads. Maybe the coil pack?

All fuses are fine, also just for a poke around, I placed my tester on some random cable infront of the engine just to see if any electricity was getting anywhere. Nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is up with it?
The random cable could be the earth cable.

Are you a member of the RACV/NRMA/RACQ etc? If so, give them a call, they will diagnose it for free. If not, I suggest you join - they will then diagnose it for free.

How did you test for no spark? The way I was shown is to disconnect the lead on number 5 or 6 cylinder, then stick a screw driver down the lead end, and earth hold the screwdriver close to the engine lift hook near the back of the motor (just above 5/6 sparkplug), then have someone crank it - you should get arcing between the screwdriver and the engine hook thingy.

If you have no spark, then it is either a busted lead, or a coil pack failure. Also check the Engine fuse in the engine bay (it is remotely possible that it could be that, but doubtful).

Also, with the backfire, have you made sure the PCV hose is connected? What about the MAP sensor? Is the airbox shattered? This will make it not start. Any of these is probably your issue, if you can eliminate the spark issue.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
amisupposed2b

Well guys, I got her started.

Coil pack....Suprise.

JC: I test for spark the ol skool way. stuck me finger in... nah jkz jkz. Got a spare plug lying around put it in the 1st cyl. and earthed the tip.

Also with the airbox, aint got one. Im running off a free air pod. Although im going to go back after being told it isnt the best idea...

Thx for the help guys!
amisupposed2b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post