Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
Jibbau

Default Advice: AU11 Futura (LPG)

Gday FF Members,

I have a vested interest in purchasing an AU11 Futura (LPG) upon having a vehicle inspection done I was told that due to it being a dedicated gas vehicle 5 valves had burnt out and that I could expect this problem to occur every 2-4 years or so.

I ask if anyone other members know of or have heard this as being a problem before and whether it's best to get back out on the road and find another car rather than negotiated a cheaper price and have this one repaired. Any help will be much appreciated!!

cheers

PS this forum is excellent!

Last edited by Jibbau; 06-01-2006 at 01:43 PM. Reason: missed a bit
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
gtfpv
GT

no i never have . a dedicated gas engine has higher compression, a differant ecu tune . which is perfect for a gas burn, and the valves are designed for lpg. as are unleaded valves . so unless it has 300 000kms on it in 4 years i would tell you they are trying to scare you into spending money with them. this would happen to a dual fuel setup before it happened to a dedicated gas engine .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Jibbau

thanks gtfpv,

the compression checks done on the engine were 70-100 on five values. the car has 110,000km so I am a bit lost as to what is the best option from here, I have negotiated a purchase price so that having the vehicle repaired will not cost me any additional money, however I am apprehensive on buying in case this is caused by something else or if this problem is going to recur in the future.

Any advice much appreciated.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=Jibbau]
hey jibbau, good mate has 2 of them now. swag 150000+ ks sr sed 60000+ ks
no problems at all with them. most of the taxi drivers I know thru work seem to be getting a good 400000 ks with out to many dramas

Whoosha.................. :eclipsee_

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Doesn't sound right to me.

Mine has done 144,000km ... not a problem with motor at all .. compression is excellent. Mine has been running smoothly (like new)

Sounds a bit dodgy to me this car you are looking at.

I'd say a duel fuel model might have that problem ... it also comes down to how the previous owner treated it ... and if it was serviced at all ... plugs changed regularly .... if there was issues with backfiring prior as well .... the service history on this vehcle might not be all that great by the sounds of it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post