Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default advise on selling one of my cars

hi guys/girls i haven't sold a car for a long time and need advice on selling my XD ute.....

Iv put it up on Facebook market place awhile back but today decided to put up on gumtree within few minutes had 3 people contact me first one through the app, the other 2 are gmail accounts that come to me in text asking me to email them back......

first one

is from NT wants to know why I'm selling. i give answer,
he says "OK anything to fix up or replace". i give answer.
sends back "sounds great i would love to buy now and pay right away".
" i have agency coming for pickup and deliver to my place in darwin"
i sent back got off phone to gumtree and seems your a person of interest to them for fraudulent activity...nice try....no sale.

not sure wether to reply to the gmail ones now lol

so what do you look out for when selling a car these days? is gumtree just a waste now?

iv also tried changing my location on the Facebook ads to Melbourne to try and capture a bigger audience as I'm 4 hrs out of the city

anything else to look out for

what has been your best success in selling in the current market ?

jak

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: advise on selling one of my cars

I always use Carsales, gets rid of the time wasters
Old 22-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I always use Carsales, gets rid of the time wasters
Yep 100%. Gumtree you seem to get idiots replying whereas Carsales you seem to get the more genuine buyer.
Old 22-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
Yep 100%. Gumtree you seem to get idiots replying whereas Carsales you seem to get the more genuine buyer.
3x agree.. only ever got scammers via Gumtree..

"what is the final price of vehicle"

throw them a number well over the asking price

"please email this address and will arrange payment and collection as I'm working away off shore with no phone access or banking"

yeahnahh

Looking at the lack of private sellers on either platform you'll get dealers buying your car if there's enough fat for them to make some coin from
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #5
Dusty
searching.....

X4 for carsales.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes View Post

not sure wether to reply to the gmail ones now lol

jak

Send 'em your Phone Number & tell them Phone calls only then Delete Ignore everything else...
Saves a lot of stress/stuffing around..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #7
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marketplace and gumtree bring out the barely literate “what’s the lowest you’ll go” crowd. Unless the conversation is leading toward them wanting a time to come and look at the car, then anything else is scamworthy.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 22-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #8
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Just had this myself...I will send truck to take to NT...I said good I will de register and save myself some money...hello, hello??

That and car yards "I'll give you $X cash today"...about $5000 less than advertised.

Another one used to be I'm on an gas/oil platform, in Afghanistan, dont have a phone etc but my agent will pick it up...I say get your agent to pay me then in cash.

I still advertise on them but usually a cardboard sign in the window works best...like it did today.

I have only sold cars under $20000 for cash...not sure how I'd get paid for a dearer one?
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2021, 11:26 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I've sold plenty of cars etc. on Gumtree, yes you get the initial dickheads asking for your best final price in broken English but its generally within the first few hours and then they move on to the latest listing.
Bought and sold over 100 cars, never used Carsales or Marketplace.

I generally request only phone calls, texts or Gumtree's message service, not many call as people seem to be scared to talk, im old school from the Trading Post news paper era so enquiring over the phone was the norm but lately even i just text or use the message service as its just easier.

I'd never complete a deal over the phone though, if a buyer wont come and lay cold hard cash in my hand and drive it away then someone else will.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2021, 11:37 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Marketplace and gumtree bring out the barely literate “what’s the lowest you’ll go” crowd. .
That's when you tell them to call a suspension shop.

I'm looking at selling my 2019 Jimny soon. Not looking forward too it. I feel like there will be plenty of time wasters. I'm tempted to ring some Suzuki dealers and see if they will offer a decent price for it since they still have a waiting list. Unlikely though.

I think ill be going the Carsales route.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2021, 11:37 PM   #11
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I've sold plenty of cars etc. on Gumtree, yes you get the initial dickheads asking for your best final price in broken English but its generally within the first few hours and then they move on to the latest listing.
Bought and sold over 100 cars, never used Carsales or Marketplace.

I generally request only phone calls, texts or Gumtree's message service, not many call as people seem to be scared to talk, im old school from the Trading Post news paper era so enquiring over the phone was the norm but lately even i just text or use the message service as its just easier.

I'd never complete a deal over the phone though, if a buyer wont come and lay cold hard cash in my hand and drive it away then someone else will.
Im the same, bought and sold thousands of cars over the last 30 odd years, through all sorts of papers, websites, Gumtree and Facebook. if they cant call and talk or cant get to you to inspect ignore them, they are either a scammer or a time waster, if I get a message with will you take $xxx, I reply with sure then block them
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2021, 01:11 AM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gumtree and FB marketplace work fine.
Sold two cars over the past year.

You just have to be RUTHLESS.

I always start the ad with "PLEASE READ the WHOLE AD"
Give plenty of details
Explain that the priced is FIXED (and you will reduce it gradually if it doesn't sell)

Never, and I mean NEVER, put your phone number in the ad.
Explain that in the add also.

I have it set to email me all messages
And I then set up a rule to filter the emails.
Anybody asking "Is it available", "what's your best price", "phone me", "where are you located", "is it automatic", "is it registered", or anyone using the stupid default gumnut message, is automatically binned.
Similarly anyone asking something that I have already answered in the ad, just gets blocked. No exceptions.
Yes, I probably filtered out a few people who were potentially genuine but just a bit thick, but its the only way to preserve your sanity.

To be honest, I actually find the above strategy works better than the old days.
Once you weed out the oxygen thieves, (who are the majority) you're only left with a couple of reasonable genuine types to spend time on.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I only use Carsales - I find that one person will message and then the ones who have it saved will quickly follow up once they get the 'interest is increasing on your saved X' message.

I always list cars well above the odds then I'll 'negotiate' down' with an interested party

RRP + 20% then offer 10% 'discount'.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #14
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Just had this myself...I will send truck to take to NT...I said good I will de register and save myself some money...hello, hello??

That and car yards "I'll give you $X cash today"...about $5000 less than advertised.

Another one used to be I'm on an gas/oil platform, in Afghanistan, dont have a phone etc but my agent will pick it up...I say get your agent to pay me then in cash.

I still advertise on them but usually a cardboard sign in the window works best...like it did today.

I have only sold cars under $20000 for cash...not sure how I'd get paid for a dearer one?
When I sold our G6ET the buyer wanted to pay by bank cheque and had to wait until Monday morning to get to the bank.
When they turned up mid-morning, they had the money in cash...that wasn't the problem although it did surprise me and one of my staff said later I'd go bank it, you don't want it known you have that much here in the office...

The real problem with so much cash was counting it 4 times and getting a different total 3 times...plus I didn't realise how dirty your fingers can get ....wonder how drug dealers do it?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #15
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
When I sold our G6ET the buyer wanted to pay by bank cheque and had to wait until Monday morning to get to the bank.
When they turned up mid-morning, they had the money in cash...that wasn't the problem although it did surprise me and one of my staff said later I'd go bank it, you don't want it known you have that much here in the office...

The real problem with so much cash was counting it 4 times and getting a different total 3 times...plus I didn't realise how dirty your fingers can get ....wonder how drug dealers do it?
$119.00

https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/...xoCCK0QAvD_BwE

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2021, 12:21 AM   #16
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I always list cars well above the odds then I'll 'negotiate' down' with an interested party

RRP + 20% then offer 10% 'discount'.
Nah, that is the path to insanity.
Trying to be reasonable doesn't work when you're dealing with the drug-addled masses.

I set the price, at the upper end, and make it fixed.
Then I lower it a bit if it doesn't sell.

As soon as you start saying "negotiable" or "ono" people want to open with "what's your best price."
Or worse, you get the ****ers who waste your time, say they "definitely want to buy it" and "consider it sold" then try to low-ball you at the last minute.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Nah, that is the path to insanity.
Trying to be reasonable doesn't work when you're dealing with the drug-addled masses.

I set the price, at the upper end, and make it fixed.
Then I lower it a bit if it doesn't sell.

As soon as you start saying "negotiable" or "ono" people want to open with "what's your best price."
Or worse, you get the ****ers who waste your time, say they "definitely want to buy it" and "consider it sold" then try to low-ball you at the last minute.
I don't list ono or negotiable at all but you always get people throwing in low ball offers, it's just how it is when selling cars.

It's frowned upon in our culture to negotiate rates with the seller, the exception being houses/cars and competing for margin on contracts
Old 25-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #18
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I don't list ono or negotiable at all but you always get people throwing in low ball offers, it's just how it is when selling cars.

It's frowned upon in our culture to negotiate rates with the seller, the exception being houses/cars and competing for margin on contracts
And electronics goods. My friend used to own an electrical appliance store and she said it was amazing as to how many people wanted to negotiate prices on a $30 appliance. But those same people will go to a servo and fill up their car for more than $30 and not bat an eye lid at that price.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
And electronics goods. My friend used to own an electrical appliance store and she said it was amazing as to how many people wanted to negotiate prices on a $30 appliance. But those same people will go to a servo and fill up their car for more than $30 and not bat an eye lid at that price.
Yep, I reckon that was a problem created by the good guys with their previous advertising campaigns and same with places like JB Hi-fi/Harvey Norman etc where they've encouraged that behaviour.

All that happens is they account for it and the sticker price is inflated.

In my line of work there's a 'sticker price', then there's 20 further pricing structures that vary the sticker price and even further there's also contract pricing.

it's called a price matrix, the contract pricing is outside of that matrix.

Certain ethnicities, it's also literally a part of their culture and they attempt to negotiate everything, in their culture there's no fixed prices.

https://medium.com/illumination/how-...n-cc6d83da50a6

Stark contrast to western countries where the price is the price.

Pricing is such an interesting field, there's so many considerations, my favourite discussion is sales team vs accounts department.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 25-11-2021 at 02:40 PM.