Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default CAPA AU falcon EDIT

Well people, as promised, I have decided to post the results of my latest mods. They are,
CAPA Flash tune EDIT
JMM 3000 Stall Converter with a large Transmission cooler.

As for the edit, mixed results. I have achieved a nice torque increase right across the rev range, but I was a little disappointed with the RWKW figure.
In Adelaide, it was 35 deg and in the dyno room, 53 deg!

Before the Edit(no piggybacks) I got 127.7 RWKW
After the EDIT 131.8 RWKW Intake temp was 50deg. (why is it that the dynos in Adelaide read lower than dyno's from some site sponsor's in Melbourne?)

Combined with the stallie, it certainly is a new drive. Thanks Casper for your reccomendation for the Stall Convertor.

The car does pull harder than ever, even whe it has been very hot in Adelaide.
Not content, I have been speaking to a certain person in Adelaide (can't mention his name as yet, bugger!) who is more experienced with the AU edit and we are going to try to get some extra RWKW from my car shortly.

Bil Towler Automotive at Burton performed the work for me and he was great to deal with.
I will post more info after we attempt some more flash tuning. :thebirds:

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great job, definately room for improvement, in cooler conditions!
Old 18-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
stiddy
Banned

what other mods have you got?
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
what other mods have you got?

Read the Sig!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
stiddy
Banned

do'h, definately one of my best lol

130rwkw is fairly respectable...
but then again its not just about peak power.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took it for a drive tonight and it definatley harder, no question. I do have a small ticking sound from the engine under revs at the moment which has me a little worried. I will start by checking the tension on the header bolts first. If there OK then f......!
Old 18-01-2006, 11:33 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

told you the stall would blow your mind mate... just changes the entire charateristics of the car at take off.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
rodderz

You may not get much more rwkw's in terms of peak power, but the edit will make the whole rev range much better, it'll get to that peak power quicker
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 02:02 AM   #9
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Power figures are not mind boggling but respectable, but at that temperature!!!!!!!! Well done. Winter will see a massive horsepower boast, That is the problem with posting of RWKW's & strip times during unfavourable temperatures. I believe you would gain up to 5% in the right climate, problem is no one enters the temps & humidity when they post results. I notice a big difference when driving late of a night. I would like to see a comparison. Please post your progress. I would like to see an Edit Vs Unichip & chiptorque as seen on aufalcon.com.
Old 19-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
sbcb
BA Xr8

ddarby can you give us an idea of any fuel economy improvements. Is the DTE higher when filling up? if so by much?

After all a performance mod that pays for itself is easier to sell to the wife!!
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like the car is a beast now....
One thing you may want to try (when it cools down) is return the car to factory tune and run it down the strip and on the same day flash it with the custom tune and see what difference you get in times....

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Thanks for the input and all the best, I reckon the Stalli would have made a bigger inpacked than the edit imo.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:03 AM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the edit worth? Around a grand? Silly question, but an increase in 4.1kw hardly seems like value for money
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Bucky, you are a such a Negative Nancy, it's not black magic buddy. The responsiveness in normal driving is the true gain, and with any kind of tuning, it's the tuner that knows what he's doing that makes the difference. Triple Carbies or the latest EFI, you need somone good.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #15
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Thanks for the input and all the best, I reckon the Stalli would have made a bigger inpacked than the edit imo.....
I can guarantee this to be the case. The highstall changes the cars driving characteristics (for the better) far more than any tune ever could, be it edit, unichip or other.

Old 19-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not havong a dig here, but even with your you hugely massive 4.1kw at the rear wheels in performance, the only safe place you could possibly hope to harness all that power is at the track. Street racing and breaking trackion at the lights is a no no.

You guys are kiding yourself. Edit. Show us real results, before we go spending all that money on a pipe dream

Tell me this. For everyone who is hanging out for the Flasher Unit and are so impressed by the simplicity of it all, where you the same guys lining up for one of Peter Brocks Polarizers for your commodores back in the last millenium. I swear i saw half of you guys queing up.
Old 19-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
Bucky, you are a such a Negative Nancy, it's not black magic buddy. The responsiveness in normal driving is the true gain, and with any kind of tuning, it's the tuner that knows what he's doing that makes the difference. Triple Carbies or the latest EFI, you need somone good.
We have been over this before. I think you need to get your hand off it. You'll go blind. :
Old 19-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #18
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed, the stallie has made the biggest impact no question. As for fuel economy, the DTE is really no different, but from Burton to my home (about 65kms) the petrol gauge moved only the width of the needle itself. To me that's an improvement, as I was flogging it on the way home plus there is a major hill climb to where I live. It before was a petrol guzzler.
Old 19-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #19
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Bucknaked]I'm not havong a dig here, but even with your you hugely massive 4.1kw at the rear wheels in performance, the only safe place you could possibly hope to harness all that power is at the track. Street racing and breaking trackion at the lights is a no no.

Who said the reason I (and perhaps other users) went for the edit was for street racing and doing wheelspins on public streets? Poor assumtion on your behalf, bucknaked.

You guys are kiding yourself. Edit. Show us real results, before we go spending all that money on a pipe dream

What results are you looking for, or expecting? It's all not about performance, fuel economy is a factor here as well.

Tell me this. For everyone who is hanging out for the Flasher Unit and are so impressed by the simplicity of it all, where you the same guys lining up for one of Peter Brocks Polarizers for your commodores back in the last millenium. I swear i saw half of you guys queing up.

Not sure how to respond to this question!
Old 19-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #20
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

DDarby...ive been there and done that.Stop looking at dynos and get a gtech pro rr.After each mod you will know if your car is quicker.Bugger dynos mate.Between trying unichip and edit I can say that on the street they are very similar.The 1/4 mile results vary according to the tuner and not the product.

If I would have talked to you first ,I would have recommended a vernier adjustable sprocket for your existing cam and play with the cam timing.I have gained more from cam timing than any edit or chip.Also you will benefit from more power with the stall converter.

In one day I scored 115 rwkws ,128rwkws,147 rwkws as I travelled towards Sydney from Western Suburbs.I was too afraid to go into Sydney for another dyno run incase my driveline broke from all the power gain as I neared the city.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #21
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
We have been over this before. I think you need to get your hand off it. You'll go blind. :
I know we have, I think you're going blind and possibly senile...:sm_drool: You're comparing tuning a car with the polarizer. It's about AFR and now with the edit, other things can be changed should you want/need to, which is a great thing.

Old 19-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #22
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
I know we have, I think you're going blind and possibly senile...:sm_drool: You're comparing tuning a car with the polarizer. It's about AFR and now with the edit, other things can be changed should you want/need to, which is a great thing.
You are so full of it. Better stand back before you explode
Old 19-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #23
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
but then again its not just about peak power
Wise words stiddy :king:

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #24
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Yes Genebaby the responsiveness through the range is the plus but I got this from my Unichip and Casper same from the Chiptorque if I can say.....also a 22rwkw increase was nice.
Yes I know it's not the rwkw that counts but I am still not convinced Edit is as good as it is for BA for the AU. Results to date have not been very convincing.
In saying that I will be trying the Edit in the near future but I tell you what if after the tune I don't get much increase but told the driveability is better (I already got that from the Unichip)it will be thrown all the way to Sth Oz and want my money back, if on the other hand I feel a great improvement I will applaud it.
I am not trying to stir the pot.
Sorry to hijack your thread ddarby and again all the best for we all as enthusiasts want more Power !
Old 19-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #25
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
DDarby...ive been there and done that.Stop looking at dynos and get a gtech pro rr.After each mod you will know if your car is quicker.Bugger dynos mate.Between trying unichip and edit I can say that on the street they are very similar.The 1/4 mile results vary according to the tuner and not the product.

If I would have talked to you first ,I would have recommended a vernier adjustable sprocket for your existing cam and play with the cam timing.I have gained more from cam timing than any edit or chip.Also you will benefit from more power with the stall converter.

In one day I scored 115 rwkws ,128rwkws,147 rwkws as I travelled towards Sydney from Western Suburbs.I was too afraid to go into Sydney for another dyno run incase my driveline broke from all the power gain as I neared the city.
Hi useless, how about telling us about your runs with Edit and Unichip at EC.
I HEAR THEY WERE INTERESTING RESULTS !
Old 19-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Poor assumtion on your behalf, bucknaked.

You said yourself that you were flogging it all the way home. Tell me how you flog a car besides leaving it in first while keeping within the speed limits. Maybe my assumptions were wrong.

What results are you looking for, or expecting? It's all not about performance, fuel economy is a factor here as well.

Isn't the whole point of the edit to increase the performance of the car. The flasher unit has been promoted by others as having huge gains in performance. I remember when the first BA edit came out, one person said they had an increase in 60kw. I know that was a 290, but in terms of an AU6, i would expect at least 20kw increase, maybe a little more. 4.1kw with all your mods seems low. The dyno on my car, with not zero modification, no tickford snorkel is 127.6. I would expect nothing less than 140kw.I would be very very dissapointed

Not sure how to respond to this question!

The polariser. The only thing I think that it was mean't to do was to line Peter Brocks pockets.
Old 19-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #27
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Bucknaked]Poor assumtion on your behalf, bucknaked.

You said yourself that you were flogging it all the way home. Tell me how you flog a car besides leaving it in first while keeping within the speed limits. Maybe my assumptions were wrong.

I did say that, but the speed limit around burton etc. is 90 to 100kph, so anyone can flog a car up to these speeds without wheelspin and without breaking the law no worries.

Isn't the whole point of the edit to increase the performance of the car. The flasher unit has been promoted by others as having huge gains in performance. I remember when the first BA edit came out, one person said they had an increase in 60kw. I know that was a 290, but in terms of an AU6, i would expect at least 20kw increase, maybe a little more. 4.1kw with all your mods seems low. The dyno on my car, with not zero modification, no tickford snorkel is 127.6. I would expect nothing less than 140kw.I would be very very dissapointed

Fair enough,as I have stated I am looking into this furthur. At the end of the day, I do believe at the hands of the right tuner, I can post more positive results shortly that will re-inforce that the edit IS worth the investment.
Old 19-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #28
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well heres my 2 cents worth... it sounds like a reasonable gain as we no you can get a mixed bag of results from car to car. I went the cai 1st picked up 11.3 rwk. man the **it fight that started. then unichip. got another 18.7 rwk more head shakers.finished with a 193.7 rwk on the tune day; dropped off to 186.7 on the aff dyno day (au xr8 220 ) have ran a pb 14.08 full sreet trim.. have seen simular cars with same mods return far less .. the point being its your car your cash so long as your happy with the results thats what matters there isn"t a worse feeling than shelling your hard earned for nothing .. just sit back and enjoy the new lease of life your edit +stalley has delivered to the ol AU Cheers Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #29
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
Yes Genebaby the responsiveness through the range is the plus but I got this from my Unichip and Casper same from the Chiptorque if I can say.....also a 22rwkw increase was nice.
Yes I know it's not the rwkw that counts but I am still not convinced Edit is as good as it is for BA for the AU. Results to date have not been very convincing.
In saying that I will be trying the Edit in the near future but I tell you what if after the tune I don't get much increase but told the driveability is better (I already got that from the Unichip)it will be thrown all the way to Sth Oz and want my money back, if on the other hand I feel a great improvement I will applaud it.
Sorry to hijack your thread ddarby and again all the best for we all as enthusiasts want more Power !
I don't really think you should bother with getting an edit as in terms of driveability and performance, they are pretty much doing the same thing. The edit does it in a cleaner, neater way than the chip, and it also gives you more options for bigger mods down the line like big cams and the such. Why throw away something you already have and like for another tuning solution. Your car can only be tuned so much, and unless you want to get rid of the chip and the wires, leave it as is. If you feel you want to play with rev limits and other things, then the edit is what you need.

If you didn't have a chip then yeah, go for the edit from a good tuner, but it probably won't be much different at all to you. The edit is just another tuning solution. It's like going from the Xede to the Unichip, but can do some other things which you might not need or want.

Old 19-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #30
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Stav, its a VCT. They come standard with vernier gear : Also, not such a great idea messing with cam timing on the VCT, it does it already while we are driving and you cant just advance or retard the VCT cam without taking into account the VCT mechanisms variables and changes either.

Quote:
Have to agree with Bluedriver here, I have yet to see any significant result on an AU I6 that would prove beyond doubt that the edit was significantly better. Just no data there to support it.
As for power, mine registered 135.4rwkw on the Hallam dyno (considered one that doesnt give away free kws at all, much like spiro's) with an off the shelf chiptorque that is tuned for regular unleaded (could having timing advanced a fair bit). Very similar mods to ddarby too. So basically the edit and mods in his and the off the shelf chiptorque tune and almost identical mods in mine are doing almost identical dyno figures.
Sorry but, for the time, I dont see the edit as any better than an off the shelf chiptorque for the AU I6's.