Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default OK, start laughing ..

OK, you can all start laughing at me now .. my SV8 went in at 80,000km to have the LS1 exchanged because of "excessive wrist-pin noise". The new engine is at 1700km and when I checked it yesterday, the oil level was about half way between ADD and the bottom of the dipstick. By my calculations it's using about 1 litre of oil per 1000km .. and it's linear; ie. at 500km about 1/2 a litre, at 1000 about 1 litre .. etc. It's back at the Holden dealer today. Want to make a bet that they top it up and tell me to keep driving and they'll put it on an oil consumption test? I think I might not check the oil for another 5000km and let it empty the sump ..

If this saga keeps going like this I might tell the dealer to get their used car dept to find me a nice AUII/AUIII V8 and I'll do a trade in/swap.

[ BTW: The Dealer in this case has been pretty good. The problem is the overall build quality of these engines is very poor .. IMHO ]
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 02:02 PM   #2
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

badluck man, but good to hear you will soon own a FORD!!!
Old 14-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
niko
likes falcon's

not much has changed since the vn's lol i think that kinda oil consumption in the manual was deemed acceptable

LOL
Old 14-06-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Falcon
badluck man, but good to hear you will soon own a FORD!!!
Already own one Ford (AUII V8 ute) .. despite an issues I've had with it, the engine is basically indestructible
.. oh .. Holdens benchmark figure is about 2.5litres/10,000km. I think I'll beat that easily!!
Old 14-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont let it run empty cause then you are up for the repairs not them. My previous car was an SS and it was a good car, but it had the same problem. It took a bit of effort and 3 oil consumption tests but it was finally rebuilt (bout two years after I noticed there was a problem - issues getting rings) and it was great after. I wanted to get it fixed so that the next person who bought the car didn't have to get the engine rebuilt at there cost, this way Holden fixed it and everyone hopefully is happy including the new owner.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
not much has changed since the vn's lol i think that kinda oil consumption in the manual was deemed acceptable
mwahaha too true!

be sure & post up some pics of the AU when you get it mate.
Old 14-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

Not all LS1's are bad, I know of atleast 3 that are still good! its like with everything, you always here about the bad things.......

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
toby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
Kryton

bad luck with the oil use.
just proves all those other people wrong that like to get up and say that this is no longer an issue and hasnt been for a couple of years.
hope it works out for you.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ah the Dominatrix strikes again!

Owning a Holden or HSV is like being with a cheap dominatrix - 2nd rate leather, a hard slapping sound and loads of hot oil everywhere it shouldnt be.

My favorite quote of myself! lol. :newangel:
Old 14-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #10
XRated
Shoot.

Can't win 'em all mate. When they're not using excessive oil or piston slapping, they're a bloody good engine. Plenty of quick ones getting around, that's for sure.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

give it a propper thrashing might run it in, might blow up eitherway it wont burn oil
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #12
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Already own one Ford (AUII V8 ute) .. despite an issues I've had with it, the engine is basically indestructible
.. oh .. Holdens benchmark figure is about 2.5litres/10,000km. I think I'll beat that easily!!
you are right on that one. The Windsor is bullet-proof (except for those who don't add water or oil). My first XR8 was an AUII ute also, she never missed a beat unlike the BA I have now. She used next to no oil (500mm in 10'000), and I use to use Castrol SLX 0/w30. I changed oil every 10'000. I loved that ute. I wish I still had it...

2.5 litres is bloody dreadfull if that is for real. Know wonder we hang on the Holdens. I would rather have a car that is a few tenths slower then having an pain in the **** and hip pocket oil consumption problem.

I hope you get the problem fixed fast..

all the best

Matt

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Dont let it run empty cause then you are up for the repairs not them. My previous car was an SS and it was a good car, but it had the same problem. It took a bit of effort and 3 oil consumption tests but it was finally rebuilt (bout two years after I noticed there was a problem - issues getting rings) and it was great after. I wanted to get it fixed so that the next person who bought the car didn't have to get the engine rebuilt at there cost, this way Holden fixed it and everyone hopefully is happy including the new owner.
So if you have a Gen3 that consumes every drop of oil between a service and the engine siezes, you're up for the repairs? That's a bit harsh. My Gen3 consumed maybe a litre of oil per 10k so it never really bothered me but I would expect that, unless there's a warning light on the dash to inform you that your oil is low, the engine consuming that much oil between a scheduled service would be Holden's problem, not yours.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #14
Dilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
I think I might not check the oil for another 5000km and let it empty the sump ..
Despite being a Holden, I can't bare to see any engine go through this, don't do it. Sell it + Buy a Ford = Happy man
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #15
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Hope you can get your problems solved,i thought that they had the oil issue's all fixed on the LS1
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #16
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
So if you have a Gen3 that consumes every drop of oil between a service and the engine siezes, you're up for the repairs? That's a bit harsh. My Gen3 consumed maybe a litre of oil per 10k so it never really bothered me but I would expect that, unless there's a warning light on the dash to inform you that your oil is low, the engine consuming that much oil between a scheduled service would be Holden's problem, not yours.
I agree its very harsh, but apparently its the owners responsibility to ensure fluid levels etc, therefore if you did run out of oil and the engine siezed you would be paying the bill. It was only through a bit of luck I found out about mine, I had only had the car for two months when one of my mates decided he wanted to service it (we were waiting for someone else and he was bored) I thought he was joking when he said the oil was not appearing on the dipstick. But anyway I learnt my lesson. It did get a little better the more I drove it but from memory I was going through about 3ltrs every 5000 K's. It could not make it between services without a top up (which to Holdens credit they did free of charge)

Old 14-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #17
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best way to ensure it doesn't happen again is flog the **** off it. That way the rings seat when they fix the problem. I'm betting on a bad ring seal. Driving a performance engine easy for run it causes more issues than it solves.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Best way to ensure it doesn't happen again is flog the **** off it. That way the rings seat when they fix the problem. I'm betting on a bad ring seal. Driving a performance engine easy for run it causes more issues than it solves.
I understand at least on some of the earlier LS1's were that the some of the bores were oval. Flogging all you want wouldn't solve that problem.
Old 14-06-2005, 06:16 PM   #19
Steffo
LPG > You

It's a bad problem, the oil consumption thing. It's even in GM's most premium cars. My mate in Texas had a C5 Corvette in 2001, 261kW LS1 V8, brand new, it was using 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles (960 mL every 1600km). And Chevrolet tried to tell him this was "normal." And the Corvette is a very expensive car (he could've bought a BMW E46 M3 for the same money, or a Porsche Boxster S, or C32 AMG Merc etc).

Nothing funny about excessive oil useage, doesn't matter if its in a Holden or anything else, its a headache no one should have to deal with.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #20
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

That's crap, i have not heard of a ls1 using oil after it's been replaced with the "fixed" engine.
It seems to be even worse in the States, check this :

http://www.pistonslap.com/

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 14-06-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 06:21 PM   #21
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I understand at least on some of the earlier LS1's were that the some of the bores were oval. Flogging all you want wouldn't solve that problem.
Sure won't. Damn dodgey US engines.

Old 14-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #22
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I agree its very harsh, but apparently its the owners responsibility to ensure fluid levels etc, therefore if you did run out of oil and the engine siezed you would be paying the bill. It was only through a bit of luck I found out about mine, I had only had the car for two months when one of my mates decided he wanted to service it (we were waiting for someone else and he was bored) I thought he was joking when he said the oil was not appearing on the dipstick. But anyway I learnt my lesson. It did get a little better the more I drove it but from memory I was going through about 3ltrs every 5000 K's. It could not make it between services without a top up (which to Holdens credit they did free of charge)
I knew of the consumption issues when I bought mine, personally I think the whole oil consumption issue was overexposed as a 'problem' provided it didn't bleed the sump dry between a scheduled service period. I had an LS1 when the BA came out and it was mildly amusing seeing the first batch of Boss motors consuming oil and the backpedaling by the morons I knew who were giving me heaps about my car drinking oil.

A good majority of people who fork out for a Ford or Commy 8 would be an enthusiast and would probably check fluid levels regularly, but there are those that will buy the car and drive it around not knowing about issues and not knowing how to open the bonnet. If a car has a scheduled service period, I would expect that fluid levels on major components would be deemed adequate unless there was a failure of a component. Either way I still would expect the manufacturer to be liable.

I check my XR8 now, and it consumes the same amount of oil as my LS1 but over a 15k service period, the LS1 was a 10k service period.
Old 14-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #23
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
That's crap, i have not heard of a ls1 using iol after it's been replaced with the "fixed" engine.
It seems to be even worse in the States, check this :

http://www.pistonslap.com/
Mine did suffer pretty extreme piston slap but ontop of the oil consumption issues it never really bothered me... until trade-in time. :P

Took it to a Ford dealer and they really came to the party for the trade. 20k on a Tiger VTS2 SS with 110k. He turned it over and it was slapping like a bastard yet he didn't bat an eyelid.

The Boss in comparison it very quiet at startup.
Old 14-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #24
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was actually my first new car (had heaps of second hand cars before that and regularly checked the oil on them) Funny enough I never had piston slap and the car was a rocket (also had a friend with an SS, and mine was quicker by a reasonable amount) After it was fixed it was fine. Yes I had the same morons give me crap about driving a car that in there words required an oil sump the same size as the petrol tank so it could make the distance between services. But I am happy the current owner has a "fixed" car, would be annoyed if I bought a second hand oil burner!!

Old 14-06-2005, 07:24 PM   #25
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I never realised the LS1's were so bad. I have never had an engine that used oil like that.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 07:34 PM   #26
LUXO_8
windsor user

gee, that is a lot hey..
my NC at 306,000 kms isnt using that much.....:P
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 07:35 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Mate that is some bad luck.Having worked on phone install in more commys than any others single person in the country ..so many times I have heard this story.
They eventually replaced the engines.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2005, 09:32 PM   #28
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mine did suffer pretty extreme piston slap but ontop of the oil consumption issues it never really bothered me... until trade-in time. :P
Ahh .. we come to the critical issue here. The "taboo" subject. Do you think that "normal" piston slap noise hurt your trade in?? ie. I can hide oil consumption, but not piston slap.

BTW: The dealer topped it up (1litre .. but I think it actually needed more) and told me to come back in another 2000km ..
Old 14-06-2005, 09:38 PM   #29
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can hide piston slap. Just make sure the engines warm as they usually don't slap when warm.

Old 14-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #30
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The noise in my original GenIII was wrist-pin; basically warm restart. When you started it from dead cold it was OK until it warmed up to almost normal temp. When you drove it for awhile then stopped .. back it came. This would be very hard to disguise .. even to a car dealer.