Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The sorry state of (some) policing.

For the first time since 2005 I had dialog with a Qld police officer.

I'd left home to drive down the street to pick up a take-away. There is a T junction at the end of my street and a high rise has just commenced construction there. The blank hoardings around the site severely restrict vision of traffic approaching from the 50 m long road on the right. I looked left, and seeing no light glow from the right, proceeded into my right-hand turn. Half way out I saw headlights on the right side so accelerated across the road to make sure there was no chance of a collision. I noticed it was a police car and continued on around the next corner and pulled up outside the pizza place.

Officer plod pulled up behind with lights flashing. I'm alighting from my car and he says "step out of your car driver," and follows with "do you have any excuse for speeding through that intersection?"

"I wasn't speeding, I was just getting out of your way and my vision was restricted by the dangerously placed hoardings that have only recently been installed" I replied.

Plod pulls out his tablet and checks my record ... "You've been booked quite a few times for speeding" he says. "The last time was 2005!" I replied, "so what does that tell you?"

"You are a serial speeder" he replied.

"Anyone with a remote understanding of actions and consequences would congratulate me and feel a sense of achievement that the 'every K over is a killer' TV campaign has had an impact". I replied.

This officer then started to lecture me on the consequences of speeding blah blah. I asked him if he was familiar with the statistics on the Qld. Govt. website that states that the majority of fatalities are caused by inattention and fatigue and asked if he had been briefed on this statistic and if so what prevention measures had he been asked to undertake.

He inferred my remark was somewhat flippant and announced I was free to go.

I mean WTF!!! He's probably a good guy but brainwashed by the system he works for.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #2
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The sorry state of (some) policing.

Nice, lucky he didn't book you on some hoon charge after baffling him with that. I I doubt he is a good guy.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Should have offered him a slice or two....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Always thought the school bullies grew up to become police officers assigned to traffic duties. But anyway, in suburbia fair enough, there's no real reason to exceed the speed limit, and at least he gave a warning instead. My major gripe with the whole system is having police resources dedicated to policing straight sections of dual carriageway 110kph highways at 2am in the morning, where that extra 5 to 10kph (or more) actually gives a huge advantage in getting to your destination in a time efficient manner.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its funny, 2 of my best mates are Qld Police - One in general duties and one in CERT and apparently Traffic Police are not well likes by the rest of the force...lol...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best move the police could make, if they want to build a better rapport with the public, is to jettison the HWP division. Make them part of the roads authority rather than police.

Most peoples dealings with police are coloured by their interactions with the HWP and makes them less likely to be helpful/cooperative/etc in other matters.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There used to be a lovely police officer years ago in Bunderberg he was that well liked he had to move to Mackay. He grew up in Bundy and obviously loved his dad as he used to wait around at cane farming time to catch his dear old dad crossing the road between his property in his unregistered tractor just so he could book him.
He was then that well liked in Mackay especially by truck drivers as he had a thing for trucks , that some lovely person new his home address and plastered it all over facebook .
Morel of this true story is .....You can run from your actions but you cant hide from them....

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Always thought the school bullies grew up to become police officers assigned to traffic duties. But anyway, in suburbia fair enough, there's no real reason to exceed the speed limit, and at least he gave a warning instead.
Hard to break the speed limit when turning right from a standstill.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I have the utmost respect for police officers. Having said that, I do not consider the highway patrol as being police officers, but just a bunch of lowly, ego driven, hoon maniacs in uniform funded by the state.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2016, 12:56 AM   #10
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky you don't live in WA with the new 1 strike legislation coming up
Old 23-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
I have the utmost respect for police officers. Having said that, I do not consider the highway patrol as being police officers, but just a bunch of lowly, ego driven, hoon maniacs in uniform funded by the state.
Hey ! I was in the Highway Patrol.
Not fair koala Bear !
Sure so maybe I bashed a full on bad mongrel within an inch of his life for having a go at me and threating to kill people who I love, and I get called the maniac.
He stepped over the line and got a lesson in diplomacy.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Its funny, 2 of my best mates are Qld Police - One in general duties and one in CERT and apparently Traffic Police are not well likes by the rest of the force...lol...
That's true but, hey the Gov are the ones who have power to push on such things in what they want and that's part of the job you are payed to do, fact is no one is payed to be liked in any position.
Old 23-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
This is true in other parts of the country as well.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Not fair koala Bear !
Sure so maybe I bashed a full on bad mongrel within an inch of his life for having a go at me and threating to kill people who I love, and I get called the maniac.
Where the uniforms designed by Hugo Boss?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Not fair koala Bear !
I really hope that's a joke

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Anyone who's owned a Scanner and listened to Police bands will tell you that HP think that they're not the same Police force as GD.
Old 23-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #17
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo View Post
I really hope that's a joke
If he really was a HWP cop he's probably not joking.That is the disrespect for law that these cops have.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
If he really was a HWP cop he's probably not joking.That is the disrespect for law that these cops have.
If it is true, and I hope it's not, than Castellan you are an absolute disgusting piece of ****.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Where the uniforms designed by Hugo Boss?
No I am Sheriff Rossco P Coltrane, but look more like Uncle Jesse nowadays are you Boss Hogg, Big Damo bro.
Old 21-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #20
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I had a good run in with the boys in blue last night at 10pm.

I was returning home from a funeral in Perth and got to the intersection of Brand Hwy and Gt Nthn Hwy at Muchea. There are lights there now. When I got my green light I turned left into Gt Nthn and on my right was a ute (rodeo possibly, it was dark and raining) so off I go, get to the 110 sign and open it up to 120 and turn on the cruise. Old mate behind in the ute comes flying up behind me but still ~200 metres away. Due to the change in traffic lights I would have been a kilometre or more away before he got going. So he was coming. Fast!
I near a corner and around comes a car heading my way, I'm a bit slow dipping my high beams as I've got a bandaid on my finger and it slipped on the stalk so I gave the car a decent flash of my high beam, then I realised it was the HWP as it flashed past. Saw old mates nose dive as he smashed the brakes in the mirror. Didn't see old mates lights again. Get a few more kays up the hwy and run up behind 3 road trains labouring doing about 60. Car pulls up behind me and on go the red and blues. Bit strange I thought so I pull up, guys get out and say "someone was going awfully fast, we decided between ourselves that it was probably the XR8 not the ute that was doing the speeding" they then said "what's your name" I told them. They weren't interested in seeing my license and asked if I was speeding. I said I was doing 120...no problem. "Do you have a radar detector" no I said. They shone a torch through the windscreen to check..nothing there. I told them all they would find is a couple of beers for the trip. They laughed, said I had a nice car, I asked them if they had an FGX turbo and they said "no unfortunately, all we get is the family runabout" (Commodore SV6) then said we've gotta go sorry can't stay for a chat. We need to get old mate in the ute.

All in all a very friendly experience, with the boys. Afterall if they wanted to be nasty they could have bounced me with the speed they trapped the ute at if they wanted to and there would have been nothing I could have done about it. My guess is the fine could have been up over $1k judging by the speed old mate had been doing. If it was higher I theoretically could have had my car crushed.

So cheers to the boys last night. They aren't all *********.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2016, 04:20 PM   #21
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Last few times I stuffed up, and got caught. Nothing. I think it's all in your attitude.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #22
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I think there's a general disrespect for police officers and this thread just proves it.
They are doing a job... a tough job... and every day society makes their job even harder.
Ever wondered why less and less people are wanting to join the forces?
If it was me, I would have politely apologised for the indiscretion and kept my mouth shut after that. He doesn't need to be lectured, I'm sure he knows a great deal more about the law than you.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #23
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for "speeding through an intersection", was he claiming you exceeded the limit or that you were just using excessive speed for the maneuver?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #24
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Last few times I stuffed up, and got caught. Nothing. I think it's all in your attitude.
Yep, I've never had a problem with them. I always get out of the car to talk to them and I'm always polite and friendly and will NEVER argue with them, even if I think I'm right.
I've been pulled over doing some pretty high speeds (160+) and been honest, worst fine I copped was 129 in a 110. They won't let you off for that but have been lenient.
If you start arguing with them, be prepared to have the book thrown at you.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #25
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Just like everyday people,some good some are bad,mostly good though
Don't be cheeky/argumentative and you will be ok.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #26
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Just like everyday people,some good some are bad,mostly good though
Don't be cheeky/argumentative and you will be ok.
Define being ok. Are you saying you will be let off, or that you just wont make things worse?

Not sure about WA but NSW and QLD highway patrol wont let you off a ticket just because you were nice to them.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #27
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Define being ok. Are you saying you will be let off, or that you just wont make things worse?

Not sure about WA but NSW and QLD highway patrol wont let you off a ticket just because you were nice to them.
I think most regular cops are generally alright and can see reason But most HWP coppers are S.A,s full of their own self importance and get no respect at all from me and most other people including regular cops
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #28
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally, I've only had dealings with them at RBT pull overs.
When I was pulled over in Caboolture, lots of questions about where I came from, where I was going, etc. Pulled over in Clayfield, have a nice day.

I've been in the car with two people pulled over for speeding. One was let off with a warning instead of a 6 month suspension, the other cop reduced it to less than 13k instead of 20k over.

(The one doing 40k over was leaving a country town, road goes from 60 to 100, cop was waiting for people hitting 100 before the sign)
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #29
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
As for "speeding through an intersection", was he claiming you exceeded the limit or that you were just using excessive speed for the maneuver?

The latter I think.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #30
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got pulled over late last night myself actually by road patrol, I had just passed a road train and a pair of utes in an overtaking lane, pulled back in at 135 KM's per hour.

just as we left the overtaking lane, setting back and resetting cruise control at 110 we seen a feller was pulled up on the opposite side of the highway by police, lights flashing and the officer chatting to him, I thought no more about it.

about 5 km's up the road I see a set of flashing lights fly around the semi and come up behind me at a rapid rate of knots, I said to the wife oh well they got me, not much i can do, 135 k's is well over so its fair, had to happen one day.

however the officer pulled me up and come alongside and said "do you know why I pulled you over", I said "I wouldn't have a clue but I'm sure you are going to tell me".

he said "do you know what speed you are supposed to be doing when passing an emergency vehicle stopped on the side of the road with lights flashing", I said 25 km's per hour but you were on the opposite side of the highway.

"doesn't matter" he says and rattles on a bit more then he says "exceeding the speed limit by more than 50km's (or there about) was an immediate 12 month loss of license and a $1,000 fine".

"bit rough" says I "when he's a good 40 feet away booking another bloke"......he then says "stay there until I pull away, I'm going after the bloke that was passing you when you passed me".

there was no other bloke, only me out on our own, he's out chasing phantoms, then there were nothing but flashing lights heading way into the distance that we could see for miles, his behaviour was far worse and far more dangerous than mine.

I have never had an infringement and find it difficult to believe that for this one thing I could be fined so heavily and lose my license for such a long time with a perfectly clean record.

spoke to a couple of other officers and apparently it is a law rarely enforced on the highway and is not liked amongst the patrols.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post