Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Who has a twin tip?

Ive got a tip put on my ute and am having a bit of a problem with it, at higher revs there is a very noticable whistling sound coming through. A mate put it on for me and from what I can see he hasn't flanged the tip (tip was 2.5" entry) so there is a lip inside the exhaust pipe before the tip if that makes sense. I reckon that might be what's causing the noise but before I go to the trouble of cutting it off and getting him to do it again just wanted to see if anybody has had anything like this happen before.
Any ideas?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Re: Who has a twin tip?

Aust, I have a similar setup (tip entry bigger than tailpipes) and do not get any wistle.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
CFOUR
The Destroyer

never had issues with mine and i had two of them at once. might have been an excess of decibels helping though.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I would be looking in other places mate, I'd be surprised if that's what's causing it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

if it is a single outlet rear muffler with a double tip then yep i have the similar problem of it sounding abit like that at high rpm, same thing before i added the tips it didnt make the noise. no idea why, but have booked the car in for its new stainless system with twin outlet rear muffler n comp headers so it should fix the problem right up :-P
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post