Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
Pies1

Default Is the Harrier Service Value For Money?

I had my car serviced yesterday at my dealer under their Harrier extended warranty service.

I am contemplating whether I should bother using the warranty service in the future.

My car AU2 S has only done 70,000kms and infact only done 3500kms between the last two services.

Unfortunately, the dealer requires you service the car under their Harrier Extended Warranty Service plan every six months or 10,000kms or so.

They void this warranty if you take it elsewhere, or dont get it done at all.

The warranty only covers you for the first $1000.00 of repairs if something major goes wrong, you have to cough up the rest.

The other problem I have with the Harrier service is they charge a fixed rate which is $190.00 for a minor service, this same minor service is only $145-$150.00 if not under the Harrier Service, and probably even cheaper again at somewhere like Ultratune etc.

Since my car is not a daily driver, I think when the next harrier service is due, I will take the car elsewhere and do the oil change etc myself.

This would void the warranty of course, but I dont think its worth keeping the warranty going anyway.

I plan on buying another car later this year anyway.

Do any of you guys not bother with the extended dealer warranties?

Pies1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im VERY tempted to void my harrier used car waranty my self too
as they would try weasel their way outta paying for screwups anyway.. and i have to drive 40 mins to the dealership of which is in brisbane and i pass 4 OTHER ford dealers at LEAST on the way there!! and they wont let me goto another one

and i dont want me car played around with (got rims they probably will never figure out how to take off.. and i have a rather bangin stereo which would prolly end up busted if they used it..

im up for my 100,000 kay service .. dunno what i actually need done on this service. but im told its a major 1.. of at least $350 ?
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just used my harrier when my steering rack needed replacing. Saved me around $800 on parts and labour. I have to get my car serviced somewhere, so why not at the dealer who gave me the extended Harrier. Didn't cost me anything other than servicing at the dealership.

I agree that $1,000 is bugger all cover, but If I have to make a claim that's over te difference, then at least I only have to pay the difference. Well providing it can be claimed under the system.

My XR6 is a weekend car as well. I still stick to the servicing plan
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
gus351

G'day mate,
I have just finnished with my Harrier warrenty, I can't believe I stuck it out. For $160 a service and all they do is change the oil!! Mind you I have had some problems with my AUII V8 manual ute. They changed the rear shift housing (1000) and done a clutch (approx 500)

Those blokes at Ford told me I had to use genuine parts to keep my warrenty, what a load of poo!! When they done my clutch the used a Daiken!

If I were you, with a car of 70,000 I wouldn't worry about it. Mine had 100,000 when I brought it so I thought it wurth while.

It's a hard one!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post