Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
mattbl

Default Quick rear spring question

I'm putting XR springs into my AU S1

I've done the front fine.

I've got the struts out of the rear. Putting the new rear spring on and the spring seems too short ie. it doesn't take up all of the length of the strut and wobbles around when the centre nut is done up.

Is this right? Does the weight of the car take up the slack when its installed and you just make sure the end of the spring is in the right position in the rubber boot?

Thanks

Matt

Old 07-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
mattbl

Oh yeah this is IRS
Cheers
Old 07-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah thats right, just make sure they seat properly when you jack it down again...
Old 07-11-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
mattbl

Thanks
Ok next stupid question

The length of the coils are different so they finish in different postions than the standards removed.
The end either doesn't go all the war the runbber boot or not all the way around the bottom of the strut.

Whats my best option?
Cheers
Old 07-11-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
mattbl

Just had a beer to think it over.
The rubber boot comes apart and you spin it around to line up

Yippee
Old 07-11-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
GTHOXR8

Great to hear Mattbl
I am doing exactly the same with mine. I've just been putting it off. How long did it take to do the front? Would appreciate any tips you gained from doing this.
GTHOXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 01:00 AM   #7
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHOXR8
Great to hear Mattbl
I am doing exactly the same with mine. I've just been putting it off. How long did it take to do the front? Would appreciate any tips you gained from doing this.
Yep all done!

If you haven't done it before I suggest the first one will take about an hour and a bit then about an hour for the others. I actually went back and redid the front as I saw I could have gotten the springs fitted into the rubber boots a bit more (about a 1/5 of a turn I'm a perfectionest!!)

As for tips I would say the correct tools is half the battle. I went out and bought a set of tube sockets today, without them I would have been swearing. A definate is 17mm, 19mm, 22mm, 24mm. Spring compressors although some guys here reckon you don't need them. Also stands are great

Go to the Technical Resourses link, there is a great write up on front and rear suspension including removal. Every other search I did said nothing about removing the bolt for the ball joint and seperating the upper control arm. You won't get them out of the front without releasing that.
Tip for the back - I removed the brake calipers and moved them to one side. This made it heaps easier.

When I first let it off the stand I didn't think it was going to stop!! LOL It's gone from a 4wd to just nice and neat. 3 fingers clearance on the front and 4 fingers on the back. I didn't want to go any lower, just get rid of the ugly AU1 ride height
Before and after pics coming tomorrow....

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by mattbl; 08-11-2005 at 01:05 AM.
mattbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 07:25 AM   #8
GTHOXR8

Thankyou very much Mattbl, especially for the tip about the rear calipers. Did you kep the same shocks and have you taken it in for wheel alignment yet?

I am also putting an xr front on mine. Got the bar and lights but no time!
Thanks again
Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 AM   #9
mattbl

Quote:
Thankyou very much Mattbl, especially for the tip about the rear calipers. Did you kep the same shocks and have you taken it in for wheel alignment yet?

I am also putting an xr front on mine. Got the bar and lights but no time!
Thanks again
Here are the pics. Not that good as i't's raining outside but you get the idea.
As for wheel alignment, I might get my guy to have a look at it but the camber is still pretty straight. I noticed a worn ball joint on the rear, I don't have the tools for that so I might just get them both done next week.

I kept the same struts, they're still ok so I can't see the point of spending another $400 or so yet if they will get me through a bit longer.

Cheers

Before

After

Last edited by mattbl; 08-11-2005 at 10:54 AM.
mattbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
GTHOXR8

Looks good
Another question, did you use a torque wrench? When i looked through the manual they specifiy various torques for tightening. Did you bother or just tighten up as much as you could?
Greatly appreciate your help
Old 08-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #11
mattbl

Quote:
Looks good
Another question, did you use a torque wrench? When i looked through the manual they specifiy various torques for tightening. Did you bother or just tighten up as much as you could?
Greatly appreciate your help
I don't have a torque wrench.
I counted the threads and marked the nut positions on the bolts before I pulled them out. They went back in the position. _2:

Torque wrench is on my list but I baulk at the price evry time I see them in the shops. I will get one some day _2:
Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #12
GTHOXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbl
I don't have a torque wrench.
I counted the threads and marked the nut positions on the bolts before I pulled them out. They went back in the position. _2:

Torque wrench is on my list but I baulk at the price evry time I see them in the shops. I will get one some day _2:
You are a champion. Thanks for the advice; my confidence in doing this job is growing.

The AU's look so much better being lowered.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Looks great.. ride height looks so, so familier (bit high for my tastes but I know EXACTLY how it would feel on the road : )

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 08:54 AM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

OK, been a few weeks now Matt. Hows the ride quality? Was it worth it?

Old 21-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #15
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
OK, been a few weeks now Matt. Hows the ride quality? Was it worth it?
Yep really happy with it. Ride is good. Looks good too, as you know I wasn't really looking at going super low. Cheap mod in my view.

Got to replace a rear ball joint and then all will be perfect.

Cheers
Old 22-11-2005, 07:52 AM   #16
GTHOXR8

Just replaced the coils on my Forte with XR6 coils. have noticed a difference especially with steering. Seems to turn in alot better.
Old 22-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Seens to be something happening more often these days. Replacing stock with factory XR springs. Gets around the insurance issues and gives better handling.
Good to see that at least they are getting put to good use rather than sitting in a shed gathering dust.