Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria > FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions

FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions FPV & XR Club of Victoria Discussions

Old 16-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Exclamation Built FORD TUFF-Thank God !

Pecker73 has been very busy lately.... New Business venture on the side.

However, last Saturday - 13th October around 6.30am it all came to a sudden halt.

Picture this. Me, in a 3 tonne Transit van packed to the roof, driving through Carrum Downs, Skye & Frankston delivering the weekend papers to all the newsagents, shops & servo's. :eclipsee_

I round a bend on McClelland Drive in Skye (for the locals), and there is suddenly something on the road in front of me (a fox as it turns out). Naturally I crap my pants and hit the brakes - 1st bad move; The brakes lock up, its been very wet morning and all the roads are nice and slippery.
The papers in the back of the van all tip to the passenger side and my worst fears are realised.... Over she goes... All 3 tonne, full tank of diesel, full load of papers and a couple of pallets. I dug my feet into the floor, pushed my bum into the seat and held onto the steering wheel for dear life.. :

Very ashamedly I confess that I did NOT have my seat belt on... e Very BAD HABIT when you are getting in and out 60 odd times in a morning... - 2nd bad move;

At the time of the brake lock up I was travelling between 70 & 80 kms, so when she tipped over it went over and over.... 2 full rolls and landed back in the upright position on the side of the road...

The van had a heavy duty cargo barrier bedind the front seats...1st GOOD move; so all the goods stayed in the back.

Thanks to the many caring passersby, help was on the scene within minutes and I had a trip to the hospital... Much to everyone's amazement, and mine... I came out virtually unscathed... A few decent bruises and bumps, NO breaks, no other damage. :newangel:

I consider myself to be one of the luckiest blokes alive... I vow to NEVER travel without my seatbelt from this day forward.

THANKS FORD, you building a bloody tuff Transit Van. :thebirds:

PS - GBG, I think I now hold the 'Roll Over' Crown ! :

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Seagull
The Guy on TV

Crickey Pecker glad to hear you are OK. Thought the Sunday Herald Sun was a bit creased that I picked up at the servo on the corner of Skye Road and Mc Clelland drive. Actually there was also a HSV right off the road well hidden in the bushes - near the Franger Tip I think when I went past at 8.45 AM. Sunday morning. I think I will stick to my ultra dumped ( 4 inches at the rear ) Holden Combo then.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ten years on and still going strong.......
Seagull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Oh look and they kept the bumper for you!

Very lucky indeed. I can understand the seatbelt issue being annoying, but I feel naked if I dont have it on.

Lucky indeed. GOOD move was holding tight to the wheel and seat, quite often in roll overs people go flying out.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker73
Sweetie, only too happy to pass it on- but the fact you are okay is the most important one.....and as a local i know exactly where you are talking about. D'ya know, in the height of that thing you probably would have cleared him !!

And no seat belt.......... : trust me they hold you in beautifully!!!

Think of it this way... most people don't have the sheer talent to land it back on it's feet....... we are a very exclusive club you know.....

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

wow, now thats got to suck. glad your ok though, could have been MUCH worse.
Did the RTA come out, this being a commercial vehicle and all?
You know what to do next now don't you.
Get your shooters licence, some camp gear and go hunt that son of a down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ounZmOu411Q
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez mate, glad to hear your ok. Lucky they don't use fibreglass for the high roofs anymore.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
XRLightening

Good to hear that you are OK there Pecker73

We just know him as THE MANTIS

-------------

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria
Daily Drive:
2005 GU IV Patrol, 4.8l Petrol, Manual, Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Electronic Brakes and Cargo Barrier.
Toy Drive:
1968 XT Falcon Ute - Dead Stock, Original and ALWAYS Garaged
XRLightening is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
1600GT

jeez andy, talk about a scare!!
glad to hear that youre ok tho, coz the metal bits are faaaaaaaar easier to fix than the human ones...

mind u, could have been worse... could have been one of the falcons!! :
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker73
Pecker73 has been very busy lately.... New Business venture on the side.

However, last Saturday - 13th October around 6.30am it all came to a sudden halt.

Picture this. Me, in a 3 tonne Transit van packed to the roof, driving through Carrum Downs, Skye & Frankston delivering the weekend papers to all the newsagents, shops & servo's. :eclipsee_

I round a bend on McClelland Drive in Skye (for the locals), and there is suddenly something on the road in front of me (a fox as it turns out). Naturally I crap my pants and hit the brakes - 1st bad move; The brakes lock up, its been very wet morning and all the roads are nice and slippery.
The papers in the back of the van all tip to the passenger side and my worst fears are realised.... Over she goes... All 3 tonne, full tank of diesel, full load of papers and a couple of pallets. I dug my feet into the floor, pushed my bum into the seat and held onto the steering wheel for dear life.. :

Very ashamedly I confess that I did NOT have my seat belt on... e Very BAD HABIT when you are getting in and out 60 odd times in a morning... - 2nd bad move;

At the time of the brake lock up I was travelling between 70 & 80 kms, so when she tipped over it went over and over.... 2 full rolls and landed back in the upright position on the side of the road...

The van had a heavy duty cargo barrier bedind the front seats...1st GOOD move; so all the goods stayed in the back.

Thanks to the many caring passersby, help was on the scene within minutes and I had a trip to the hospital... Much to everyone's amazement, and mine... I came out virtually unscathed... A few decent bruises and bumps, NO breaks, no other damage. :newangel:

I consider myself to be one of the luckiest blokes alive... I vow to NEVER travel without my seatbelt from this day forward.

THANKS FORD, you building a bloody tuff Transit Van. :thebirds:

Glad to hear your okay but you know what they say ""a little on the side will get you in trouble""

i know when i was delivering papers before school and weekends the sat age nearly made the pushie flip over with all the crap in it but this is rediculous!!!

now whats ya next trick and how do ya come out of all this ?????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
MOTIV8
Just cruizin' around.....

Pecker, very lucky as this is a notorious corner for incidents as we used to live in the street to the left (Darnley). I have seen some ripper results there including a headless motorbike rider (but that was another story and very unfortunate.....) although I must admit they are a very good combination of corners in the right car.... :eclipsee_ The main thing is that you are OK and it wasn't one of your cars that got damaged - what is the verdict on the van? a write-off or is it able to be fixed. Anyway hope that you are able to continue delivering the papers - it might explain why Seagull delivered a Sunday Sun to my place on Sunday and it didnt have the TV Guide in it.....

BTW - I would have taken the fox out......
MOTIV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Thanks for all your well wishes.. The van has gone to Transit heaven, apparently the engine has come off the mounts, among other things...

As for getting a Tatts ticket, I had one for last night.. No luck, I think I exhausted my allocation on the weekend... :

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

[QUOTE=pecker73] apparently the engine has come off the mounts, among other things...

how could that possibly happened ???????????????????????? :

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #13
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

Glad to hear your ok mr pecker that is some story, I must amit that I was visulising it and having a chuckle at seeing all the papers flying every where!

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Wow, Pecker, what a whopper!!!!! Did a pretty good job of the van!!!! Great news that you came out of it well!!!!!

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post