Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
lil au3
Starter Motor

Default Reccomended lsd oil/additives?

Hi, I'm going to change the diff oil this weekend in my AU3's LSD. The diff has a bit of a clunk when shifting down into 1st when coming to a stop, I'm hopping getting some good oil in there will help this.

Just wondering what oils and additives you would reccomend?

I'm thinking at the moment to use Penrites 'Synthetic Gear Oil 80W - 140' which claims it has the LSD additive allready in it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. If anyone can reccomend a good place in Melbourne central to purchace such a product that would be good.

lil au3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

You'll have to post up how this goes, as my LSD can be noisy at times too!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Castrol SAF XA 80W140 also has the sturaco additive. Autobarn is where I purchased it.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

i have used the penrite oil in my diff. also used the penrite oil in my gear box. done about 15000k's with it in there now and havent had any troubles.
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Penrite Limslip gear oil 85w/140 and penrite LSD additive. Good stuff it is.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Castrol SAF XA 80W140 also has the sturaco additive. Autobarn is where I purchased it.
My mechanic swears by it ... they had a VX Calais with Gen III in it ... the dif was making a hell of a noisy.

Put this in it ... was quiet as a mouse afterwards. Works wonders.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

Use the Castrol, I worked for Dana/BTR and was responsible for all the oil purchasing in ASia Pacific, the Castrol is approved as a alternative to the Mobil synthetic.

Hopwever it does not contain any sturaco as we used to purchase this separately and add after, It can be purchased from Ford, there is also another additive called Mobil 3022 this was only used for the Ford diffs whils sturaco was used by Holden and Ford for their models. I can say that Dana/BTR tested just about evey brand of oil out there in destructive testing and the only 2 to pass for LSD applications were the Mobil and Castrol with the aforementioned aditives in 6% doses. (I have even been subject to a blind smell test on burnt diff oil and it ain't pleasent!)

The additive is very agressive on seals so make sure that you have the correct additive as each affects different types of seals check with Ford as they can provide you with the additive in a pre-made up bottle to dose after changing oil. Very expensive though for 60 or 40 ml depending on which additive.
Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
lil au3
Starter Motor

Phoned Autobarn about $25-$30 for 1 litre. The say it is specifically for LSD's, but I cant work out if I need to still add the Sturaco additive?
Old 17-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
lil au3
Starter Motor

Phoned City Ford, they use an LSX - 90 then use and additive that the diff manufacturer supplies. They told me to go and get the castrol stuff from Autobarn which doesn't need the additive as it is fully synthetic.
Old 17-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
kiwikid10
WHAP!!! POW!!! ZORK!!!

lsx 90 Is a mineral oil, has been replaced by Caltex . Was Shell but Shell Australia stopped manufacture of this product, So I resourced to Caltex and the second approved supplier which was under the old Ampol brand.

All synthetic oil requires the additive, the Castrol and Mobil have specifically been tested with the sturacco and 3022 to ensure that "Diff chatter" is eliminated and that it doesn't have adverse affects on the cone or plates depending on the model as well as the seals.

Let me know your model i.e M86 and what the tag on the diff says (usually high performance LSD or similar)and I will advise what additive you need by calling my friend who is in charge of oils at Dana.
Despite what others have said the oils are designed to work with the additional additive to stop the chatter. hundreds of thousands of dollars in testing concurs this by Dana,Ford and Holden. I know I was there. I won't comment on the poor quality ones though, as they have not been built properly and it is not the fault of the oil or additive that they are noisey.
Bodykit: Havoc
Wheels:XR8 AUII 17's
Interior: upgraded to Ghia,rebolstered seats.
Have parts just need fitting: Territory front brakes, Police issue rear brakes,Full sound system,Alpine HU/Processors,Focal speakers,Xtant amps.
kiwikid10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Follow this man's advice. I did, and diff quietened down straight away. The additive is a little 150ml squeeze biottle - just put it in first, then top up with the blue diff oil. It's a bloody hard, messy job. Allow around 1 hour or so, and definitely get some sort of pump to pump it in - those plastic ones you can use for fuel will come apart so they are no good.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
lil au3
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replys. Yeah I think it still will need that additive. Just read this somewhere on the net, for a 2001 XR8 LSD

"Manufacturers recommend Castrol SAF-XA, 1.5 Ltr, Plus 100ml. Sturaco 7098 additive."

I'm thinking the SAF-XA is doing the protecting, but the Sturaco is helping to deglaze the cones, or stopping the chatter?

Thanks kiwikid10, Diff tag says High Performance LSD. I'm thinking it will need the Sturaco 7098, but not sure where to get that from and in what quantity. Any advice would be great.
Old 17-05-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Follow this man's advice. I did, and diff quietened down straight away. The additive is a little 150ml squeeze bottle - just put it in first, then top up with the blue diff oil. It's a bloody hard (awkward), messy job. Allow around 1 hour or so, and definitely get some sort of pump to pump it in - those plastic ones you can use for fuel will come apart so they are no good.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 17-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #14
lil au3
Starter Motor

Just talked to Autobarn, again, they called a tech rep at Penrite who recommended the new 'Ten Tenths Synthetic Gear Oil 80W-140' which has the friction modifers already added. The tech sheet specifically says you don't need to put an extra additive in. $55 for 2.5L so thats not too bad.
Old 17-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil au3
Just talked to Autobarn, again, they called a tech rep at Penrite who recommended the new 'Ten Tenths Synthetic Gear Oil 80W-140' which has the friction modifers already added. The tech sheet specifically says you don't need to put an extra additive in. $55 for 2.5L so thats not too bad.
80w/140 is too light to stop the clunking, you need the 85w.
Old 17-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
lil au3
Starter Motor

Quote:
80w/140 is too light to stop the clunking, you need the 85w.
Yeah I suppose that makes sense as it only clunks when the car has driven for 15min or so. i.e. more vicious.

Penrite do a limslip 85/140 product. http://www.penrite.com.au/files/8472...M85140-PIS.pdf
it says it uses 'selected friction modifiers' does that mean I need to use the additive also?
http://www.penrite.com.au/files/NWZM.../LSADD-PIS.pdf

Talked to Autobarn again, they seem to the 80/140 is the way to go as the 140 is the viscosity when warm, so the same when warm.

Last edited by lil au3; 17-05-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 17-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil au3
Yeah I suppose that makes sense as it only clunks when the car has driven for 15min or so. i.e. more vicious.

Penrite do a limslip 85/140 product. http://www.penrite.com.au/files/8472...M85140-PIS.pdf
it says it uses 'selected friction modifiers' does that mean I need to use the additive also?
http://www.penrite.com.au/files/NWZM.../LSADD-PIS.pdf

Talked to Autobarn again, they seem to the 80/140 is the way to go as the 140 is the viscosity when warm, so the same when warm.
You will need the additive and also don't listen to Autobarn. 99% of their staff are uninformed morons (not you Aust...) that wouldn't know what they are on about. I had this stuff recommended to me by a mate who used to work at Ford doing a lot of the R&D and he told me that this stuff is the way to go. It stopped my clunking and I haven't had an issue with it in the 15k since I put it in and I gave it a flogging at the DECA skidpan day. Go out and buy it, I promise you won't be disappointed.
Old 17-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #18
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

i wonder if i chould change mine to the 85/140 and the additive. it currently has the syn gear 80/140 which has the additive in it. but of late i have noticed some diff noise. not clunking but a slight whine. i wonder if it needs the 85/140 put in it.
Old 17-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS
i wonder if i chould change mine to the 85/140 and the additive. it currently has the syn gear 80/140 which has the additive in it. but of late i have noticed some diff noise. not clunking but a slight whine. i wonder if it needs the 85/140 put in it.
You can only try. All I know is my diff had a slight whine and was clunky as hell until I changed mine.
Old 17-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #20
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

Use only Ford Motorsport diff additive. Its the best and what most gearbox and diff places use.
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #21
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a description af Castrols SAF-XA oil.

Product Description
Castrol SAF-XA is full synthetic SAE 80w-140 GL5 limited slip
differential oil. It has been reformulated to supersede the previous
Castrol SAF-XA SAE 75w-140 formulation. It has improved oxidati
stability and high temperature deposit control while retaining excelle
wear protection performance. The formulation now incorporates the
preferred limited slip additive, Sturaco 7098, for Ford and Holden
limited slip differentials at the maximum recommended treat.

Product Application

Castrol SAF-XA is primarily intended for use in rear axles of Ford
Falcon and Holden Commodore high performance models. It contai
the preferred limited slip additive and at the maximum concentration
recommended by additive supplier.

The upgraded Castrol SAF-XA has been successfully used in V8
Supercar axles in place of previous Castrol SAF-XA SAE 75w-140
formulation and provided at least equivalent wear performance.
Both limited slip and non-limited slip hypoid axles For vehicles towing caravans or heavy trailers Covers rear axle viscosity range from SAE 80w to SAE 140

Castrol SAF-XA contains the maximum
recommended treat of Sturaco 7098 for limited slip
diff performance. No further Sturaco 7098 should be
added.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #22
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Follow this man's advice. I did, and diff quietened down straight away. The additive is a little 150ml squeeze bottle - just put it in first, then top up with the blue diff oil. It's a bloody hard (awkward), messy job. Allow around 1 hour or so, and definitely get some sort of pump to pump it in - those plastic ones you can use for fuel will come apart so they are no good.
I will follow his, and your advice!!
So, to do this I need to jack up the rear of the car, undo the diff plug, somehow pump the oil out, add the additive, fill with oil till it's dribbling out the filler plug, and do up?

Anything Ive missed?
Old 17-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #23
lil au3
Starter Motor

Quote:
You will need the additive and also don't listen to Autobarn. 99% of their staff are uninformed morons (not you Aust...) that wouldn't know what they are on about. I had this stuff recommended to me by a mate who used to work at Ford doing a lot of the R&D and he told me that this stuff is the way to go. It stopped my clunking and I haven't had an issue with it in the 15k since I put it in and I gave it a flogging at the DECA skidpan day. Go out and buy it, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice, is there any particular place you would recommend purchacing it from, it doesn't seem like Autobarn have the additive in stock.
Old 17-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #24
peterban
AULTD

I use a cheap 5 litre garden pressure sprayer with the sprayer nozzle removed and the end carefully bent so it doesn't dribble back out until full.
It makes life easy as you just pump the pressure up before you get under the car and the trigger allows you to start and stop as necessary.

The Castrol SAF XA states not to use any extra additives
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Here is a description af Castrols SAF-XA oil.

Product Description
Castrol SAF-XA is full synthetic SAE 80w-140 GL5 limited slip
differential oil. It has been reformulated to supersede the previous
Castrol SAF-XA SAE 75w-140 formulation. It has improved oxidati
stability and high temperature deposit control while retaining excelle
wear protection performance. The formulation now incorporates the
preferred limited slip additive, Sturaco 7098, for Ford and Holden
limited slip differentials at the maximum recommended treat.

Product Application

Castrol SAF-XA is primarily intended for use in rear axles of Ford
Falcon and Holden Commodore high performance models. It contai
the preferred limited slip additive and at the maximum concentration
recommended by additive supplier.

The upgraded Castrol SAF-XA has been successfully used in V8
Supercar axles in place of previous Castrol SAF-XA SAE 75w-140
formulation and provided at least equivalent wear performance.
Both limited slip and non-limited slip hypoid axles For vehicles towing caravans or heavy trailers Covers rear axle viscosity range from SAE 80w to SAE 140

Castrol SAF-XA contains the maximum
recommended treat of Sturaco 7098 for limited slip
diff performance. No further Sturaco 7098 should be
added.

I thought it did ... Iam sure I read it on the bottle the other day stating it already had the Sturaco in it ... and no extra was needed ... I presume a new formula has just been released.

Holden wanted $22 a bottle ... Autobarn wanted $30 a bottle.
Might be cheaper to go to Holden and get the stuff .... 2 bottles should do you. Get a third if you if you feel like you need it ... getting the last bits out of the bottle isn't that easy.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #26
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

i bought the limslip 85/140 today it cost me $21 for 2.5L and the limslip additive was $9 for 150ml. i got it from NBC which is one of our local parts stores.
Old 18-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #27
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what would you guys recommend for a very whiney diff in my au forte? (single spinner)
Old 19-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #28
lil au3
Starter Motor

Just put the Penrite 85/140 plus a bottle of Penrite 7098 Additive in the diff. Seems like the only place in Melbourne Central to have it was Burson's who had it on the shelf.

I will post up a reply in the near future to let you know how it goes.
Old 19-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I will follow his, and your advice!!
So, to do this I need to jack up the rear of the car, undo the diff plug, somehow pump the oil out, add the additive, fill with oil till it's dribbling out the filler plug, and do up?

Anything Ive missed?
No need to pump the old oil out - it will drain out (the drain plug is the lowest point on the diff). The rest is spot on, and peterban's method seems to be the easiest I have heard of - would only take 15 or 20 minutes his way.

Note that if you don't have an LSD, then you should only get diff oil that is compatible with the type of diff you have. Check the following sites for oil for all applications:

www.penrite.com.au
www.castrol.com.au

Old 19-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #30
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
No need to pump the old oil out - it will drain out (the drain plug is the lowest point on the diff). The rest is spot on, and peterban's method seems to be the easiest I have heard of - would only take 15 or 20 minutes his way.

Note that if you don't have an LSD, then you should only get diff oil that is compatible with the type of diff you have. Check the following sites for oil for all applications:

www.penrite.com.au
www.castrol.com.au
Thanks mate. I have an LSD so I'll be going with the oil/additive recommened here - hopefully it will help with some slight clunkiness and cone chatter every now and then!