Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Favorite Car Reviews

When I was a teen, there was no such thing as Youtube. Anyone who wanted to see cars on TV needed a cable subscription and to tune in at a set time of the week. I LIVED for Top Gear and 5th Gear night. Of course, now the content on cars is literally never ending, and a lot of those episodes that I devoured are now on Youtube for endless viewing.

At one point, I tended to favor 5th Gear over Top Gear, mainly because they were more informative than entertainment biased. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Clarkson and Co at their peak.

The first video I want to share is this 2004 review of the then all-new, and Ford funded, Aston Martin DB9. This is the review that made me fall in love with the DB9, and Aston Martin in general.

The styling, one of the most beautiful and perfectly proportioned piece of automotive styling in the history of the car. That long bonnet, the organic shaped headlights the perfect sweep of the roof into the deck. The styling still holds its own nearly 20 years later, and the interior has aged better than expected.

But it's the engine that sold me on Aston Martin. It may have started life as a Duratec V6, but it's one of my favorite car noises ever. I especially love that slurred upshift sound from the 6-speed ZF automatic. Later cars got louder exhausts, but it's the induction note I crave. The part where the reviewer, Tom Ford, repeatedly goes up and down the gearbox, I would have listened to a 1000 times.

I fell in love with the DB9 in 2004, and still heavily adore it. The newer Astons don't seem to have the stylistic perfection or have the same purity of the naturally aspirated V12 in the DB9.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2023, 07:06 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Favorite Car Reviews

The next video is this review of the BMW E60 M5 by Tiff Needel.

What a legend Tiff Needel is, someone who was once called the "Sultan of Slide". I think we would all love to have his crazy talented car control ability. I devoured his reviews, most of them of him on a track, going sideways in a cloud of tyre smoke and a howling engine.

This review of the then new 2006 BMW M5 is one of my favorites of all his reviews. The concept of driving a quiet, comfortable four door sedan across two countries, then taking it straight to the track and driving the wheels off the thing would be a dream for most car enthusiasts.

The drawcard for the E60 M5, like all BMW M-cars of this period, was the engine, a never-ending surge of revs, accompanied by the wail of 10 cylinders and the rorty induction note. At one point, he was sliding that car for like 3 corners at full opposite lock.

I of course would love to have a E60 M5. I was one of those who actually liked the styling of the E60...............but then I liked the AU Falcon too! But, like many I suspect, owing one would be terrifying. Time has not been kind to that era of BMW's, and the V10 cars are known to be money pits. But videos like this allow me to live my fantasy without having to endure the BMW reliability headache.
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2023, 07:27 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another BMW, and another Tiff Needel review. Or shoot-out.............

The E46 M3 is arguably the best M-car ever, the CSL is probably the best BMW ever!

Again, another video that made me fall in love, this time that stunning 3.2 Inline 6. The standard version sounds bloody fantastic, but the CSL with the carbon airbox was and still is, orgasmic! This would have to be the best inline 6 ever made. Sure, there have been more powerful inline 6's, but I would challenge anyone that didn't go weak at the knees for one of these. Skip to 1.55 and 2.26 and listen to that thing sucking air on the down shift, spine tingling!

I want one, I want one, I want one. Of course, the CSL was sold in limited numbers, in fact you had to have CAMS license or sign a wavier to buy one due to the Cup tyres. A standard M3 would do me, and I would likely fit it with carbon airbox like many others have done. And I would endure any BMW-ness for this car, that engine!

Sadly, these cars are still too expensive, even examples with the SMG gearbox and high km's. This engine also appeared in the Z4M, which I love for the styling as well, but those are still commanding big money.

Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2023, 07:43 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Having owned an XR5 Turbo. This one still strikes with me and its probably the best car ive owned. And im a massive Clarkson/TG/GT fan

Never really followed reviews in OZ.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2023, 10:25 PM   #5
stock1991
Limited supply

I was just telling a work mate sell his old car sitting around doing nothing he will never finish but he loves it and........ one day. Well come that day you can buy a decent example of what you want. It is a XR5, unregistered
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2023, 11:38 PM   #6
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This one comes from the world of myth and legend, before my time

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...-down-the-hume

But my goodness, what a review!
Old 12-05-2023, 03:52 AM   #7
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's hard for me to pick a favourite, because a lot of different reviewers contribute in different ways to making absolutely brilliant videos that I like. I spend way too much time on YouTube for my own good, dreaming about cars that I can't afford.

One of my three 'money-is-no-object' dream cars is undoubtedly the Bentley Flying Spur (the other two would be a Rolls-Royce Ghost and a Mercedes-Benz V222 S-class). It is a lounge room on wheels that can hustle and embarrass quite a few performance cars and sports cars while transporting its occupants in exquisite comfort, and that duality of character is one thing that I really admire.

This reviewer takes the Flying Spur onto the Autobahn to drive at its top speed - 330km/h, in a 5.3 metre, 2.4 tonne luxury car.

2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2023, 11:00 AM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I liked Clarkson's take on the M5. It was one of those cars that was a joy to drive in spite of the annoying tech BMW insisted on incorporating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwR1WH0rR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnZVkdzXzFQ

But the most influential was Plato's review of the MkV GTI. I went and bought one on the strength of that review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA7odlXCqMU

But the most memorable review for me, is Clarkson's take on the V12 Vantage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0Svvdrx_E
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2023, 01:05 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Back to the future. by Peter Wherrett.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Having owned an XR5 Turbo. This one still strikes with me and its probably the best car ive owned. And im a massive Clarkson/TG/GT fan

Never really followed reviews in OZ.
The Azbo lol. Loved that review from back in the day.

Tiff Needels driving on 5th gear was the highlight of that show. He was the drift king, pulled some ridiculous slip angles and managed it just hold it there in graceful slides. He was a master of car control.

Drifting the 3 wheeled Morgan was mental too. He was so worried it was going to roll, but he did it anyway.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2023, 04:13 PM   #11
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

https://www.carsauce.com/
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2023, 05:30 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Back to the future. by Peter Wherrett.

I remember plenty of Peter Wherret car reviews back in the day. They were great.

Recent times though .... I like the way SavageGeese does reviews across a wide range of makes.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2023, 06:41 PM   #13
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I liked Clarkson's take on the M5. It was one of those cars that was a joy to drive in spite of the annoying tech BMW insisted on incorporating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwR1WH0rR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnZVkdzXzFQ

But the most influential was Plato's review of the MkV GTI. I went and bought one on the strength of that review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA7odlXCqMU

But the most memorable review for me, is Clarkson's take on the V12 Vantage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0Svvdrx_E
LOVE all three of those for the same reasons you outlined!
Mustang GT

Old 12-05-2023, 07:00 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

On the subject of Jason Plato, these were two of his earliest appearances on 5th Gear.

Ferrari 575 GTC -
(Sorry about the quality, I couldn't find anything better)

Ferrari 612 Scaglietti -

For those who don't remember, Jason Plato would make an appearance at Bathurst with HRT a few times.

I liked these two reviews, and the two cars, because of the older design V12 Ferrari engine. Those V12's seemed to have a nicer tone to them.

Loved this line about turning off the electronic nannies on the 612 -

"......., now I'm going to turn it completely off, however if you're a football player or TV chef, I suggest you leave that button alone."

And did he get that big Scag dancing.

The looped take off from the 575 was particularly entertaining.

Are people seeing a pattern here? Long bonnet Coupe's with large engines..................
Mustang GT

Old 12-05-2023, 07:23 PM   #15
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I first saw Top Gear in the UK whilst on holidays, back in the early 2000's, when you had to visit Internet Cafes and burn your 64Mb (not Gb) camera card to a CD.
No streaming or whatever back then...

Thought it was a great show and was trying to explain it to mates back here.
When it finally came here they all understood.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2023, 06:40 PM   #16
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

BMW, and Clarkson, at their best............

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2023, 09:55 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I found these videos waaay back in early 2008 while waiting for my XR6 to be built and delivered. At the time, the whole new car thing would be a new experience for me.

Have been a Chris Harris fan ever since.

Mustang GT

Old 17-05-2023, 07:16 PM   #18
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The next video is this review of the BMW E60 M5 by Tiff Needel.

What a legend Tiff Needel is, someone who was once called the "Sultan of Slide". I think we would all love to have his crazy talented car control ability. I devoured his reviews, most of them of him on a track, going sideways in a cloud of tyre smoke and a howling engine.

This review of the then new 2006 BMW M5 is one of my favorites of all his reviews. The concept of driving a quiet, comfortable four door sedan across two countries, then taking it straight to the track and driving the wheels off the thing would be a dream for most car enthusiasts.

The drawcard for the E60 M5, like all BMW M-cars of this period, was the engine, a never-ending surge of revs, accompanied by the wail of 10 cylinders and the rorty induction note. At one point, he was sliding that car for like 3 corners at full opposite lock.

I of course would love to have a E60 M5. I was one of those who actually liked the styling of the E60...............but then I liked the AU Falcon too! But, like many I suspect, owing one would be terrifying. Time has not been kind to that era of BMW's, and the V10 cars are known to be money pits. But videos like this allow me to live my fantasy without having to endure the BMW reliability headache.
Mate before I finished reading the first sentence of this thread, this exact video popped into my head. What are the odds of that.

Another one was a Clarkson review on a Ford GTx1. Basically a targa top version of the ford GT. It was yellow and he was ripping it around a track, possibly willow springs. Can’t find it for the life of me.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2023, 08:31 PM   #19
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipXW View Post
Another one was a Clarkson review on a Ford GTx1. Basically a targa top version of the ford GT. It was yellow and he was ripping it around a track, possibly willow springs. Can’t find it for the life of me.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8o9hk
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2023, 02:00 AM   #20
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bentley Flying Spur review by Rory Reid. I thought I might add this one, because I'm a big fan of Rory Reid's car reviews. I think he's absolutely brilliant at it.

Old 18-05-2023, 06:37 AM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mclaren F1 review by Tiff.
The look in his face the first time he "give it some stick" is a classic.(6min mark)

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.

Last edited by XR Martin; 18-05-2023 at 06:45 AM.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2023, 10:42 PM   #22
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Mclaren F1 review by Tiff.
The look in his face the first time he "give it some stick" is a classic.(6min mark)

Great review!

Interesting to see so much body roll and nose dive under braking for such a focused super car.
Mustang GT

Old 19-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #23
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For my money, Peter Wherrett did the best car reviews and reports on general motoring on ABC Torque.

This video (so old that it was recorded in black and white film) is a classic Wherrett dissection of some serious engineering problems with the then new Holden HQ.

https://youtu.be/UaI0BjaFoTI

Wherrett was not the only motoring journalist of the time who was critical of poor vehicle safety. But he was able to use TV as a medium to clearly demonstrate this to the public. The short section on roll understeer is brilliant, so too is the section on how to fix locking rear brakes with a load proportion valve.

Absolutely awesome how much great footage that the ABC was able to squeeze out of those very heavy 16mm film cameras of the era. Using film also meant doing as few takes as possible.

Sure, Top Gear and Fifth Gear are great entertainment. ABC Torque from the 1970's is pure motoring journalism.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2023, 08:53 AM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
For my money, Peter Wherrett did the best car reviews and reports on general motoring on ABC Torque.

This video (so old that it was recorded in black and white film) is a classic Wherrett dissection of some serious engineering problems with the then new Holden HQ.

Wherrett was not the only motoring journalist of the time who was critical of poor vehicle safety. But he was able to use TV as a medium to clearly demonstrate this to the public. The short section on roll understeer is brilliant, so too is the section on how to fix locking rear brakes with a load proportion valve.

Absolutely awesome how much great footage that the ABC was able to squeeze out of those very heavy 16mm film cameras of the era. Using film also meant doing as few takes as possible.

Sure, Top Gear and Fifth Gear are great entertainment. ABC Torque from the 1970's is pure motoring journalism.
Yes agree, Peter Wherrett's Torque was a great motoring show we never missed growing up.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2023, 09:59 AM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Agreed. the 'Auto Expert' John Cadogan could learn a lot from Peter Wherretts style.
Old 19-05-2023, 07:09 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Agreed. the 'Auto Expert' John Cadogan could learn a lot from Peter Wherretts style.
John Cadogan could learn from a lot of people! What a moron!
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2023, 07:11 PM   #27
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

The earlier Fifth Gear episodes were like that, more obvious car reviews than a TV stunt show. Fifth Gear ended up attempting to follow the same path as Top Gear.
Mustang GT

Old 19-05-2023, 07:38 PM   #28
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Big fan of Jonny Smith, but his MST reviews are my favourite.

Other reviews are from Harry's Garage, the guy can review a car. I suppose all the years heading up EVO also helped.

Then AutoTrader and JayEmm on cars.
Old 19-05-2023, 08:14 PM   #29
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Big fan of Jonny Smith, but his MST reviews are my favourite.

Other reviews are from Harry's Garage, the guy can review a car. I suppose all the years heading up EVO also helped.

Then AutoTrader and JayEmm on cars.
Love Harry's collection of Jag's.................

Mustang GT

Old 20-05-2023, 12:10 AM   #30
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Harry's a legend. Loved his three part series on taking the Silver Shadow to the Arctic Circle. Loved watching the restoration of that Silver Shadow, too.