Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
BG Perana V8

Default Advice needed!

Hi everyone, am from South Africa and looking at purchasing an AU Falcon XR6.

Am desperately trying to find out info on these cars but so far have found nothing.

Hopefully some of you on here can assist me with a few of my queries.

As far as reliabilty goes what are these cars like, one of the reasons I am attracted to the car is its simple and hopefully built Australian tough.

Are there any common problems with this cars and if so what are they?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

BG Perana V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
AUIIForte

I don't have an XR6, but I do have an AU Forte, its gone over the 300,000km mark and still going very smooth. The only major thing I had to do is replace my gearbox with a strengthened one at about the 280,000km mark because that was acting up a bit.

This car has been constantly pushed hard on tracks and quarter mile runs, its seen many days driving on very rough dirt roads and has been through 2 minor crashes, but still, the car runs absolutely fine when driving on normal roads, except for a few minor rattles on the inside, which don't bother me.

I get about 500km's in one tank of fuel and my tank is about 62L, so in my eyes, its still running well.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Alanbxr8
BA XR8

I owned one (a manual) & could not have been happier, by far the best handling car I ever owned. I traded it in after 100K because I wanted an XR8, you will find its ride is very hard & you will feel every bump on the road but that's the trade off if you want a car that handles like they do.

I never had any mechanical problems, however they do scrub out the inside of the front tires
Alanbxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanbxr8
however they do scrub out the inside of the front tires
all Falcons do that...there's even a part number for it :

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Strech the budget for a BA. More power and better looking IMO.

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
dreadly
Banned

Ba ewwww Lol Au looks 100 times better... ba's are looking old and dated. An au dosent look 8+yrs old lol.. and power? what a whole 10rwkws? The Au xr6 is a far better car, and far better buy. ;)
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

Good luck scoring a BA in SA...
Old 16-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
T3man
Banned

XR6 is one of the sweetest drives - if you aren't power hungry. They are a good honest well-handing family sedan. Very reliable - you would do well to look for post Aug 2000 build (Series II or Series III) The tyre wear problem isn't a problem at all - the front end is adjustable and easily set up. Also they have IRS standard which is simply the best IRS ever fitted to a production vehicle being double wishbone design. Definitely a better proposition over a BA which has very suspect handling by comparison.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
XR6 is one of the sweetest drives - if you aren't power hungry. They are a good honest well-handing family sedan. Very reliable - you would do well to look for post Aug 2000 build (Series II or Series III) The tyre wear problem isn't a problem at all - the front end is adjustable and easily set up. Also they have IRS standard which is simply the best IRS ever fitted to a production vehicle being double wishbone design. Definitely a better proposition over a BA which has very suspect handling by comparison.
T3man - that's all true for the VCT, but what if SA only got the HP? Live rear axle still, but with 164kw, still goes well.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
BG Perana V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
T3man - that's all true for the VCT, but what if SA only got the HP? Live rear axle still, but with 164kw, still goes well.
We did indeed get the one with IRS and VCT...they are very rare though. Am looking for one of those. 172kW is enough for the moment but I do read that these motors do respond well to turbos....
BG Perana V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanbxr8
I owned one (a manual) & could not have been happier, by far the best handling car I ever owned. I traded it in after 100K because I wanted an XR8, you will find its ride is very hard & you will feel every bump on the road but that's the trade off if you want a car that handles like they do.

I never had any mechanical problems, however they do scrub out the inside of the front tires
mine does`nt ....well aligned and correct tyre pressures you wont have a problem.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have an AU XR6 and I am really happy with it, the ONLY thing I didn't like when I first got it was the ride height, it looked awful sitting higher in the back and so I added a set of lowered springs and evened the ride.
One thing I keep hearing is that the brakes aren't that good on AUI but I can't fault mine, I have ABS on it and have NEVER had any trouble stopping Lucifa.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post