Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 18-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Replacing a Thermostat

Hello - I am the proud owner of a 1991 (EB series I) Fairmont Ghia. I need some help, with diagrams, of how to replace a defective thermostat in the above model Ford.

Could someone either lend a hand or point me in the right direction to where I may find instructions to do this work.

elusiverunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
XRated
Shoot.

Where are you located?

It's very easy. Two 10mm (I think!) bolts on the thermostat housing, remove the old thermostat, replace it with the new one. You will lose a little bit of coolant, just add some more. Then let the car idle for 10-15 minutes with the heater on max with the cap off the overflow bottle to bleed the system if necessary.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Replacing a Thermostat

Hi X-Rated I am in Guildford, NSW. Can you tell me, and I hate to say this, where the thermostat is - I think I know, but I am not too sure. What else will I need apart from a thermostat and some replacement coolant. Will I need any sort of gasket ?? :MrT_anim:
Old 18-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
Damo
Banned

looking at the engine from the front the top hose on the passenger side going from the radiater, at the end of that is like a little metal cup type thingy it's inside that.

Yes you will also need the gasket or some gasket maker (silicone) and the O-Ring for the thermostat as your old one will probably be all brittle.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #5
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Elusive Runner, if you need some help? I live in Yennora Not too fatr away. I have done many of them and have tools to help uif you need. The job isnt a large one just need to make sure the preparation and fitment are right.

PM me if you need help matey?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #6
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

ER, I also have a THermostat and seal here if you need them too
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

2 13mm bolts
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 08:05 AM   #8
elusiverunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Replacing a Thermostat

Thanks guys, especially you Papa Smurf. I replaced the thermostat and my original problem still persists. The original problem being that the temperature gauge reading gets to just over half way then returns to its original position. It does not seem to matter what the engine is doing the gauge just keeps going up to half way then back to the correct temperature. Also the coolant system does not seem to be presurizing - I have checked all the hoses, the radiator and so on. The coolant level in the expansion tank does not indicate a loss of coolant. I am at a loss for an answer as I am by no means a mechanic. :