Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 
Default Tyres, GolfBalls, and Aerodynamics...

What has a high performance tyre, & the humble golf ball have in common???
*Link removed - article quoted in post 18*

Last edited by wulos; 09-10-2011 at 10:18 AM.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Tyres, GolfBalls, and Aerodynamics...

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Perhaps more then you may think if Hankook follow Through with THIS

Hmm, will be interesting to see it being pushed past it's boundaries in normal everyday situations, to full on stunt, drag and circuit racing....
Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

It is possible that this technology may find itself making its way onto the racetrack via the DTM series.
I'm a little intrigued to see how it goes. If nothing else, the 'winglets' may help to prevent a bit of gutter rash..
Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Reading the article, it appears they have also created another concept tyre for Electric cars. Maybe a new design for normal car tyres could be in the pipeline?

Still very cool that they have come up with a new way to look at the humble tyre.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nifty...ignoring the fact that aerodynamics on a factory car are really only there to reduce wind noise, as they don't actually start to have an "aerodynamic effect" until you are well over the speed limit...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
JR.
Once more with feeling

I wonder how creating vortexes and a separate airflow off each of the four tyres will effect the aerodynamcs of a car they're fitted to. Would it disturb the overall airflow enough to increase the cars drag coefficient?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
I wonder how creating vortexes and a separate airflow off each of the four tyres will effect the aerodynamcs of a car they're fitted to. Would it disturb the overall airflow enough to increase the cars drag coefficient?
I share your concern, what sort of cars is it intended for, ones where only the less than lower half of the wheel sees any airflow or open wheelers?
I already thought designers had a handle on how to get increased downforce with speed adaptive spoilers etc, so im not sure why these would be needed.

For sure, if they are going to provide additional downforce then they will increase the drag, and along with the increase in downforce an increase in rolling friction would be created, not going to help with fuel economy.

At the moment, it just looks like a publicity exercise to raise the brand profile, perhaps detail about how much downforce/speed required will come when they gauge the interest.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see those becoming a new fad in no time!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Perhaps more then you may think if Hankook follow Through with THIS

umm......just a warning.
when i clicked on the link it took me to a dodgy celebrity sex video page and my AVG anti virus picked it up as a identity theft threat.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
umm......just a warning.
when i clicked on the link it took me to a dodgy celebrity sex video page and my AVG anti virus picked it up as a identity theft threat.
Worked fine for me? And probably for every one else based on the above comments?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
umm......just a warning.
My anti-virus blocked it completely.

Must be a dodgy site.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine blocked it last night, but just then it worked properly.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Could be interesting if some clown rotates your tyres the wrong way..... "Houston, we have lift off"

...No problems with the link last night or again tonight.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #15
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

link is fine here too!!..
Old 09-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Interesting concept ... will see if it indeed filters through in the coming years.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #17
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i just tried the link again and it started to load bup as "hankooktyres" and then changed to "emma watson nude " before AVG came in and closed it down again as a serious threat. i dont think the pic i seen had much to do with tyres, lol.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #18
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Quote:
The contribution of aerodynamics to the performance of a car is widely understood, but until now nobody has applied the principal to tyres.

Hankook Tyre has broken new ground at the Frankfurt Motor Show by unveiling a prototype tyre that features aerodynamic winglets on its sidewalls.

The Ventus Aero features six winglets on each sidewall which create downforce and act directly on the vehicle's axles, maximising tyre grip at higher speeds.

The concept tyre also features a so-called "dimple structure" above three of the winglets on the tyre sidewalls' upper section.

The dimples create a micro-vortex as the tyre rotates and assist in reducing aerodynamic drag created by the winglets below them.

"The impetus for the development of Ventus Aero has been to scoop out the largely unused aerodynamic possibilities when it comes to tyre design," said Hankook's chief marketing officer, Hyun Shick Cho.

Hankook has applied for a patent on the technology developed for the new tyre - which is the result of the company's strong focus on innovation.

"Future transportation concepts will require innovative and smart solutions, especially from the tyre industry," said Mr Cho.

"Hankook Tyre will be expanding investment in future innovation as well as top-level motorsport like the DTM, where advanced technologies are applied to developing new high performance tyres."

Hankook says its aerodynamic sidewall technology will be applied to its racing tyres, and is likely to be incorporated into a new generation of ultra-high performance road tyres for especially fast and powerful super sports cars.

The company also used the Frankfurt show to debut its next generation of race tyres for the German-based DTM touring car series, which moves to new regulations next year.

The tyres are wider and larger in diametre and incorporate lessons about construction and compound learnt by Hankook during this year's inaugural season of tyre supply to the DTM.

Hankook also displayed another concept tyre specifically for electric vehicles called Kinergy Eco EV, featuring technologies to reduce rolling resistance, minimise battery usage, enhance battery charging speed and improve motor performance.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
wulos
Forum Director

Good to see that Hankook is on top of their cyber security. I have removed the link from my first post - the article is copied in its entirity, & posted above by xrghiawagon in post 18.
Let's hope that their tyres don't simply turn out to be a pack of ribbed condoms...