Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Bitmap

Default Aircon noise

G'day everyone,

My air conditioning has started making a funny noise. It sounds like to me the fan and either something is against it or the ball bearings.

When I turn the air con and fan off the noise stops completely, when I turn the fan on 1 is starts and the more I turn the fan on the faster the noise gets. It makes no difference if the air con is turned on or off ( just the fan speed).

It sounds as though the noise is coming from behind the glove box and when I checked my Ellery's manual it says the fan motor is located here.

Does anyone have a better idea of what it could be and any idea how to fix it? And if I leave it for my next service (approx 6000kms) is that a problem considering it is cooling down now and I am using the air con less and less.

cheers for your help,
Paul

Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
MYEBII
MYEB

Sounds like the fan motor,or bearing or a leaf or stick caught in the fan blades
you will have to remove the glove box lid and then turn fan on and see if coming from there
MYEBII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Follow the steps below , Ithink you will find a leaf in the fan.

Open the glove box and pop the side clip ins so it lowers further down. Put your air to recirc. and you should see the little door open up and the fan within. Shine a torch in there and you will find the edge of a leaf sticking up get the old tweesers and fish the sucker out.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

i did all this and couldnt see any leaves

maybe its a bearing...
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

used to have an EA that made a similar noise and I was told that is was a bearing in the front of the A/C compresor, not sure how true this is, but it's a thought

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Bitmap

Thanks for all your suggestions- in the end it was a leaf. Got the little bugger out!.
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post