Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Default cutting

hey guys, i just spoke to my mate, he lowered his AU at home by cutting his springs a bit with a grinder... it sits really nice now..

wondering, this coudnt be a good thing to do no?
what are the risks with doing this, (apart from the spring unloading in ya face when compressing it down) wouldnt you need new shockers to adjust to the new ride height????

any thoughts would be a appreciated!

NOT SAYING I AM GOING TO DO IT... just that he said, "Nah, it's fine never had a problem, i ahve done it to all my cars!."
Rob

sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Basically the compression rates of the springs will change, giving you terrible handling, terrible saftey and possibly voiding your insurance.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
sfr rob

yep thought so... yeah, if the springs are shorter.. the shockers would be pushing too much yeah? and the handling would be all out of whack!
anyway.. just wanted to hear what others thought, good cost cutting effort by my mate though. he owns a lot of cars but most are older models so i guess it would prob increase handling on some of the bigger older cars hehe.
Old 16-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I just copied my post from another thread.....
This thread, in fact -
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...utting+springs

I may as well throw my 2 bob worth into this discussion.

Cut springs from a safety point of view is more often than not, just fine.
Cut springs stiffens the rate of a spring because of the less number of active coils.
Cut springs (if cut properly), are not brittle, do not sag, and do not break.
Cut springs generally don't bounce, handle poor, or have any other side effects if done properly (though not always).

Most standard height factory coils are very soft, cutting 1 coil off increases it's rate by a similar amount to which it has lowered the vehicle. This is mostly a good thing.

The horror stories we hear about are from people who have heated the coil whilst on the car with a gas axe to allow the spring to sag. This is a big no no as the heated area will break in a very short time.

Cutting coils with an angle grinder only heats about 10mm of the coil, which of course is of no consequence to the strength of the coil.

Vehicles riding on bump stops due to cutting coils too much is no fault of the coil being cut, but of the fool who cut too much off the coil. Like everything, this needs to be done in moderation.

There is little rocket science to coil springs, they are just a spring steel rod, wound up to form a coil spring.
3 factors govern the rate of these coils, 1 - number of active coil, 2 - wire thickness, and 3 - diameter of coil.
Change any one of these and we have a different rate/height coil.

By cutting 1 turn from a coil spring we reduce the length of the steel rod, in turn changing the leverage. Nothing more is at work here to make things dangerous.

Anyway, my usual disclaimer applies, do so at your own risk, it is illegal, insurance will be void.
However I'm of the opinion that if you are going to attempt it, at least you will be armed with the knowledge of how to do it properly.

Rick.
Old 16-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
sfr rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I just copied my post from another thread.....
This thread, in fact -
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...utting+springs

I may as well throw my 2 bob worth into this discussion.

Cut springs from a safety point of view is more often than not, just fine.
Cut springs stiffens the rate of a spring because of the less number of active coils.
Cut springs (if cut properly), are not brittle, do not sag, and do not break.
Cut springs generally don't bounce, handle poor, or have any other side effects if done properly (though not always).

Most standard height factory coils are very soft, cutting 1 coil off increases it's rate by a similar amount to which it has lowered the vehicle. This is mostly a good thing.

The horror stories we hear about are from people who have heated the coil whilst on the car with a gas axe to allow the spring to sag. This is a big no no as the heated area will break in a very short time.

Cutting coils with an angle grinder only heats about 10mm of the coil, which of course is of no consequence to the strength of the coil.

Vehicles riding on bump stops due to cutting coils too much is no fault of the coil being cut, but of the fool who cut too much off the coil. Like everything, this needs to be done in moderation.

There is little rocket science to coil springs, they are just a spring steel rod, wound up to form a coil spring.
3 factors govern the rate of these coils, 1 - number of active coil, 2 - wire thickness, and 3 - diameter of coil.
Change any one of these and we have a different rate/height coil.

By cutting 1 turn from a coil spring we reduce the length of the steel rod, in turn changing the leverage. Nothing more is at work here to make things dangerous.

Anyway, my usual disclaimer applies, do so at your own risk, it is illegal, insurance will be void.
However I'm of the opinion that if you are going to attempt it, at least you will be armed with the knowledge of how to do it properly.

Rick.

HMMMMM.
you made some very interesting points there champ! for some reason i cant search on these forums... nothing EVER comes up even in ADVANCED mode.

yeah i thought that cutting with a grinder shouldnt really make a difference in the safety aspect of the spring coil because after all, all you are doin is shortening it... not like your bending it or anything!

So what if you cut them... and then tell your insurance that you have "lowered" your car. What could they say? hehehe

I am going to get my car done properly but i am just really interested in how it can affect heaps of stuff!
Old 16-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I am going to get my car done properly but i am just really interested in how it can affect heaps of stuff!
Its not like springs are that expensive anyway....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
sfr rob

yeah... i am prepared to spend $1000 for a good set up.. and from what i read.. that is what i will get for that money!!
Old 16-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
buickman
buickman

I cut them on a cortina & the shockers started leaking after a few months. It looked good but thats about it.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
yeah... i am prepared to spend $1000 for a good set up.. and from what i read.. that is what i will get for that money!!
Do your shopping ... and that amount of money will get you a decent setup on your car ... good shocks ... lowered/matched springs ... front sway bay ... camber/castor kit.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #10
sfr rob

yeah, so i been told... if i am going to do stuff.. i think i will do it properly.. spend money and know that it is all good and safe...

[ I also ordered my bodykit from AWC last night mechan1k! cant wait.....
didnt end up goin the ts50 front bar.. wen the XR50 one. bit more cause i have to convert to XR front... but who gives a rats!lol ]