Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 26-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Brakes on WS Fiesta

Every time I drive my car, I feel as if the brakes aren't very good, when you push on the pedal, its either soft braking or its slam your face into the steering wheel levels, there seems to be no inbetween, up to a certain point, its barely anything, after that point its excessive. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me, it feels as if there is only two levels of braking.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, I'd get that looked at. My brakes, and the other Fiesta models I've driven have very good brakes. Not great, as they seem to lack some feel and can get stodgy. But they are not like my girlfriends Astra, which has the worst brakes. Exactly like you said, there are two modes, stop and crash into the car infront of you or stop and hit your head on the steering wheel and have the car behind you tail end you. Not cool.
Old 27-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Fi.ES.TA

Yeah i will agree my brakes do feel like that.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
BruceT

Some of the reviews I read complained of "grabby brakes". Drive.com.au even listed this as one of the few cons for the car. Lack of feel and stodginess is a drum brake characteristic, and the rear drums are an inferior choice. (Is grabbiness a disk brake 'feature'?)

I can't say I've ever felt let down by the brakes. They were a little grabby, but now I have the feel of them, combined with the ABS and electronic brake force distribution, I Have no complaints.

- Jeremy Clarkson on the WS Fiesta Zetec
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you ever jump out of a Holden into a Ford you will see that all Fords have grabby brakes. It's the major difference between the ways the companies set the cars up. All Fords have on or off brakes and all GM/Holdens have progressive brakes (that will feel to a Ford driver as if you have nothing, because they are used to touchy on or off brakes) but in the end they both brake the same it's just a difference feel/setup.

Since I mostly drive Holden's I very much dislike the Ford setup, but you get used to it after the first couple of corners and recover from head butting the wheel
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
Zetec Dave

Hmm I also agree with the complaint of the brakes but I think that's what happens when you have rear drums. They definately need to improve on the brake setup.
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceT
Some of the reviews I read complained of "grabby brakes". Drive.com.au even listed this as one of the few cons for the car. Lack of feel and stodginess is a drum brake characteristic, and the rear drums are an inferior choice. (Is grabbiness a disk brake 'feature'?)

I can't say I've ever felt let down by the brakes. They were a little grabby, but now I have the feel of them, combined with the ABS and electronic brake force distribution, I Have no complaints.
New cars with ABS ESP and other brake options usually have grabby brakes, they take ages to wear in as well. Magazine editors (And I know a few of them) will tell you they get cars that have been thrashed, the brakes are usually glazed which will cause the grabbyness, they try to write as honestly as possible but it is difficult when the car is either too new or thrashed.

If your brakes are Grabby, I would go to Ford and ask them to chamfer the pads and de-glaze the pads and rotors. Try running them in again gently and you should feel an improvement.

:
Old 28-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustproof
New cars with ABS ESP and other brake options usually have grabby brakes, they take ages to wear in as well. Magazine editors (And I know a few of them) will tell you they get cars that have been thrashed, the brakes are usually glazed which will cause the grabbyness, they try to write as honestly as possible but it is difficult when the car is either too new or thrashed.

If your brakes are Grabby, I would go to Ford and ask them to chamfer the pads and de-glaze the pads and rotors. Try running them in again gently and you should feel an improvement.

:
The car has only about 500km on it since I've had it for two months, I did give the brakes a bit of a work out when I took it up to the mountains though, would that have caused my problems being a new car?
Old 28-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I noticed a huge difference to the run demo car we drove and our own.. The demo was really grabby and quick... ours has the soft start that progresses into a grab....

the dealer told us to take it easy on the brakes for a fair while, while they bed/run in. they had had a few cars come back with problems after people attacked the brakes really early in the cars life....
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Dustproof

Default Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
The car has only about 500km on it since I've had it for two months, I did give the brakes a bit of a work out when I took it up to the mountains though, would that have caused my problems being a new car?
In general terms 500Km's are pretty new, give the brakes about 1000Km's and see if they improve, your first service is a 3000Km's so if they haven't improved ask the Ford Dealer to have a look at them.

What sort of car did you have before the Fiesta? Some of these issues are because technology has moved on in the last few years and brakes are now pretty sensitive, it might take some getting used to.
Old 29-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
In general terms 500Km's are pretty new, give the brakes about 1000Km's and see if they improve, your first service is a 3000Km's so if they haven't improved ask the Ford Dealer to have a look at them.

What sort of car did you have before the Fiesta? Some of these issues are because technology has moved on in the last few years and brakes are now pretty sensitive, it might take some getting used to.
This is my first car but before that I'd driven mainly Dad's 03 Mazda 323.
Old 29-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:

AS that it has gone more electronically.
Old 29-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
Dustproof

Default Brakes

Quote:
This is my first car but before that I'd driven mainly Dad's 03 Mazda 323.
I would imagine the brakes on the WS Fiesta are much better than the Mazda, another thing is that Ford seem to use Sintered pads which seem to leave lots of Black Crap on the wheels in about 2 seconds flat after cleaning them. I for one will be looking at a different spec pad, not only for cleaner running but will get better with heat. This will stop the initial grab that people are complaining of, mind you I have grabbier brakes on my Focus Diesel and the same black crap on the wheels - go figure hey!
:
Old 29-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I would imagine the brakes on the WS Fiesta are much better than the Mazda, another thing is that Ford seem to use Sintered pads which seem to leave lots of Black Crap on the wheels in about 2 seconds flat after cleaning them. I for one will be looking at a different spec pad, not only for cleaner running but will get better with heat. This will stop the initial grab that people are complaining of, mind you I have grabbier brakes on my Focus Diesel and the same black crap on the wheels - go figure hey!
:
I actually prefer the brakes on the Mazda because it feels progressive rather than "on or off" which the Fiesta feels like, caused a few awkward moments in the car when Dad's nearly smashed his face on the dash a few times haha.
Old 29-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
BruceT

Quote:
I would imagine the brakes on the WS Fiesta are much better than the Mazda...
In fact the Mazda 2 takes about 2 metres extra to stop from 80 km/h: :
https://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xc...irst_drive.htm

https://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xc...sta_mazda2.htm
I don't agree with the conclusion of the 2nd review! :

Old 30-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Car isn't a Mazda 2 though, its a Mazda 323.
Old 30-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #17
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
:
A good excuse to clean/wash up the car time to time, yeah?
Old 30-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #18
BruceT

Quote:
Car isn't a Mazda 2 though, its a Mazda 323.
The second link makes it clear it's the Mazda2 Maxx. The numbers are the same in both links for the Mazda.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is anyone else having heaps of brake dust on the fronts of their new fiesta?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup. It's a Euro Ford thing unfortunately. One application of the brakes and they are dirty all over again. Some new brake pads will fix the issue if it's annoying you though.
dannyhilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #21
Dustproof

Default Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
Is anyone else having heaps of brake dust on the fronts of their new fiesta?
Yes and it is very annoying, I will swap over to Ferrodo soon. I use them in my Motorcycle which has white wheels, dust is minimal and none of that Black Crap. I believe it is because they use HH Sintered Pads, I used these Sintered pads on my bike and got Black Crap until I swapped them out.

:disco:
Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceT
The second link makes it clear it's the Mazda2 Maxx. The numbers are the same in both links for the Mazda.
Was talking about my Dad's car.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #23
Fi.ES.TA

Rather than start a new thread ill ask here seen as though its brake related.
im wanting to paint my brake calipers,not bleeding brakes before i have no idea so is it possible to take the pads out and put them back in without re-bleeding?

And yes i have black dust on my rims but because i wash the car once a week anyway i can deal with it.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #24
Zetec Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.ES.TA
Rather than start a new thread ill ask here seen as though its brake related.
im wanting to paint my brake calipers,not bleeding brakes before i have no idea so is it possible to take the pads out and put them back in without re-bleeding?

And yes i have black dust on my rims but because i wash the car once a week anyway i can deal with it.
Should be able to change pads and do what you want to it without re-bleeding unless there's something really mechanically different with the Fiesta's braking system that I have never seen in my life. Just make sure no-one steps on the brake pedal while the brake pads are off the rotor etc. Otherwise, you'll need a special tool to crank it open again :
Zetec Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post