Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Thumbs up my ride in a supercharged AU XR8..

What can I say? What can I say ? I was very fortunate to get the phone call today to install a single boost gauge to an au1 xr8 with a blower. The customer who's identity and privacy I respect took me for a drive. All I can say is omg!!! This car was simply amazing!! This car has totally changed my views on getting a turbo charged car in future . This car was very streetable and a tap of the accelerator resulted in instant massive torque with no lag!! Any more throttle and it was wheelspin city..

I am seriously contemplating not getting a ba in future but supercharging the wagon!! I know it is expensive but after today I know a ba turbo is no comparison for the street.Totally different power delivery!!

Yes the autometer boost gauge worked well too

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

So you're personal oppinion would be to instal a Supercharger over a Turbo?

Cheers
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I just rang around for some prices...I already have a fuel system good for 270rwkws. A whole vortech supercharger at around the 5 k mark. If I get bigger injectors 300 rwkws is very possible if not likely .At 14 psi it can be done.Especially with the bigger head and cam. The vct is quoted at 240rwkws at 10 psi. The wagon has more power than vct's .
My personal preference would have to go for supercharger as opposed to turbo.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 11-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Wink

You're out of control Stav! LOL!

Sounds like the ride was most enjoyable.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
You're out of control Stav! LOL!

Sounds like the ride was most enjoyable.

Cheers,

GK
I am out of control!! I have been in some fast cars and it has been a priveledge to workon gtp's and xr6turbos..to f6typhoons...this thing was very different...It suited my personal style...I dont like waiting for power to come on..I want it when I want it!!lol.

I had contemplated a ba turbo or f6 but this is the way to go!..Now the hard part..telling the wife)

Old 11-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
justa6
justa6

you say you don't won't to be waiting for your power well, my mate has a commodore 6 vortech supercharged making around 280rwkw, and i reckon you wait all day for that thing to start moving compared to my turbo. mine has a 2800 stall and it will bag the tyre's from the start, where those type of blower's you have to wait for the rev's to rise before it start's making boost. but yeah it really hit's you in the back just before you shift at 5500.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He has seen the light Haleluja
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Dont take it that way man..This thing threw us into the seat when it got any traction. We refused to hit 5000 rpm because this car was literally so aggressive way below those revs..I was most impressed!! Heck any more than a tap of the throttle at any time resulted in wheelspin.

See if I do this in drips/drabs or one go. I really want to investigate insurances and legalities of doing this properly in NSW.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

CMS 4.8L and raptor supercharger?? you should be sweet
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Ive enquired at Raptor but he advised that his supercharger is not to be run above 9 psi. I am chasing about 14 psi if I can get away with it. 14 PSI on xr6t's is seeing around 300 rwkws. I just loved the responsiveness.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines at 10 and he knows this so what's the scoop.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #12
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are warranted to 11psi
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

He sounds like an honest bloke to me. I may want to crank up the boost in the future as I may build a stronger bottom end. Brendan..I think you are having as much fun as I had today....these things are awesome.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #14
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

What sort of blower setup was on the xr8? thoughts crossed my mind a lot of times of putting a weiand 174 on mine, and then liquid lpg inject it .
Old 12-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
Stav
Smile

I think it was a vortech.He said it was good for 600hp. I got sidetracked from my topic.This car was nuts!!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 AM   #16
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

nice. I have always prefered superchargers over turbos. Imo all turbos i have had in the past have trashed my running gear ( as it is late to kick in sorta - so to say , and put out a major whack on the running gear ) , yet the good old super charger is power from the second you put your foot down, maybe not the instant kick of a turbo , but pure torque from from the start and no 'whack' on the running gear.

Lol.. gee even a poor mans 1/4 mile drag car = V8 or 6 , at least a 2500 stall converter, 4 speed auto with 4/11 diff ratio at the diff & a supercharger to top it off = You got one hell of a fast 1/4 mile car !.
Hell i was pulling off faster 1/4 mile times with my old 'HEAVY' 83 XE with just an old xb's 351 (worked a bit) with a ford mustang fiad/fiod 4 speed tranny and 4/11's in the diff ( no supercharger / straight gas ) !!! than most cars still these days ! (and that was back in 95').
I cant wait to pull this XR off the road , load it with a 460 big block , not sure about the tranny yet , but again 4/11's , supercharged , should be a treat .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #17
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Stav, what was it like down low in the revs, like when you are just going to and from work etc,etc, was it a bit slow in bringing up the torque, or did it have a high-stall converter- therefore masking any low down response?

Thanks

Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
Stav, what was it like down low in the revs, like when you are just going to and from work etc,etc, was it a bit slow in bringing up the torque, or did it have a high-stall converter- therefore masking any low down response?

Thanks

Craig
The car didnt need high end revs.The car would be very hard to control if held flat .

My observation of the power for daily driving was that you had control of the power but you had the power on demand literally. It was your choice how to do it. Light driving gave easy normal safe road manners.More than light throttle gave a surge of acceleration and a full throttle hit makes the car pretty much uncontrollable and would probably not be used on the roads but for track duties like wsid.

He said he had a standard box and diff.He was worried about blowing them up. Low response was amazing.There was no masking there. Xr6t's etc are uncomfortably fast..this was simply terrifying acceleration but I liked it . It gave me a huge adrenaline rush.

I just noticed you have an xr8 too. If you have a few thousand lying around the place ..just do it.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #19
Peeler
RC NITRO TRUCK addict

as long as the shocks are adjustable, and you put good rear tyres on, you can drive them everyday and at the track
LC GTR304 t350 9inch
VK BT1 LSX 454R p/glide 9inch

LX SLR LS3 p/g 9 current project
Peeler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #20
GSH
AU2 XR8

Stav your freak your already running a N/A 6 AU wagon at 14.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont be dissapointed with yourself....Keep the AU stuff this BA krap....The AU`s have character....And yours will have more when you do that bolt on!

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #21
RUKIDN
Missing the boost :(

Nothin like a blown 5 litre :sm_headba
RUKIDN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #22
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually what a stock BA na6 does at peak HP i make at 2650rpm.
Centri's are cool,be a buzz on an 8 .
Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSH
Stav your freak your already running a N/A 6 AU wagon at 14.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont be dissapointed with yourself....Keep the AU stuff this BA krap....The AU`s have character....And yours will have more when you do that bolt on!
The au is going to stay.If it breaks..Ill get another au.
My brother has 2 ba's. He said to me tonight "dont get a BA". Hes had many problems and has had enough. The wagon is here to stay as long as it runs. He did get me thinking though...I dont have good brakes.Ford has done a disgraceful job on the AU. They hardly stop a stocker. I love making it go quicker but I need to upgrade my brakes.

Are there brembo upgrades for the au1? What does it take to make this half assed poor excuse for brakes get stopping power?

Last edited by Stav; 12-07-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 13-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #24
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
My brother has 2 ba's. He said to me tonight "dont get a BA". Hes had many problems and has had enough. The wagon is here to stay as long as it runs. He did get me thinking though...I dont have good brakes.Ford has done a disgraceful job on the AU. They hardly stop a stocker. I love making it go quicker but I need to upgrade my brakes.

Are there brembo upgrades for the au1? What does it take to make this half assed poor excuse for brakes get stopping power?
just swap to AU2 or BA componetry.

i believe you just need BA front end suspension bits. there are a trillion threads on this. look up one "BA Brakes onto AU" or something along those lines.
Old 13-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #25
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah the xr8 supercharged are great.i had my s/charger on a au s2 xr8 man ute before and was pretty hard to stop the wheels spinnig right thiugh to third gaer (even with 18 and sticky rubber .1/4 mile times not good had to take off in second gear and ease on the power at calder)so i went and bought a s3 xr8 swapped it all over (took abou 4 hrs)retune$200and back upto roughly the same power levels,only thing is this one is auto ,nice and sedate till you get to abou 3grand then all hell breaks loose.spent big money on motors in the past but wouldnt bother anymore you only lose out when sell time comes.least this way just keep changin btween cars and a simple retune and instant power again.highly recommend it
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #26
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

But I imagine with the xr220 motors, the 9.4:1 comp would be a little high wouldn't it?
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #27
GSH
AU2 XR8

Quote:

See if you can grab some Tickford Brakes of the S2-S3....Mine pull me up brilliantly.....And it would be alot cheaper than going something like, forking out 3k for the PBR brakes like my mate did....Mine work beautifuly

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
GSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #28
Stav
Smile

Today my idea came to a grinding halt!! To supercharge the wagon legally will require emissions testing.It is doable but will need low exhaust noise 90db max at 2500 rpm I am told and emmissions testing so bigger cams are out!!.

The best car for supercharging is a stock car with stock exhaust,cams and ecu. This should bring the stockers to 190rwkws. Any further modifications to exhaust or cams will void the compliance plate and legality of the car. You may do exhaust work as long as it meets emissions targets and noise standards.

I need a genius exhaust shop if I am going to proceed here.Rang an engineer today. He'll talk to me at his office at a fee.

Old 14-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #29
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang tough Cisco.
Old 14-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #30
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Today my idea came to a grinding halt!! To supercharge the wagon legally will require emissions testing.It is doable but will need low exhaust noise 90db max at 2500 rpm I am told and emmissions testing so bigger cams are out!!.

The best car for supercharging is a stock car with stock exhaust,cams and ecu. This should bring the stockers to 190rwkws. Any further modifications to exhaust or cams will void the compliance plate and legality of the car. You may do exhaust work as long as it meets emissions targets and noise standards.

I need a genius exhaust shop if I am going to proceed here.Rang an engineer today. He'll talk to me at his office at a fee.
Is an n/a I6 really legal with the aditions of a 3" exhaust and cam?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post