Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
botch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default anyone got a iMate JasJam ? need help & advice !

Ive just upgraded ( : well thats what tosstra call it) from CDMA to next G. I never had any probs with cdma and had excellent coverage here in country vic / nsw.

They gave me a iMate Jas Jam phone / mobile pc thing and im still learning how to operate it (has windows mobile on it, which is pretty cool).

Ive been to the local telstra shop but they werent a great deal of help as these phones have just come out.

The main problem I have is that it doesnt get service in my shed (which is my office) and inside the house. Even under the carport is sketchy at best. This is my main work phone and gets quite annoying. I have a few samsungs on nextg also and they seem to work ok (not brilliantly, but ok) in the same areas, so im guessing its not the networks problem, more so the phones???

The phone shows a U (umts - whatever that is) but no signal inside.

Does anyone else have one of these things and what sort of service do u get?

botch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Yeah ive got one, i love the thing.

UMTS is the style of network that is in use with NextG.

The little U at the top of the Today screen, i think, just means that - if an internet connection is requested, it will log onto the NextG network. eg. i have it connected to this PC, and it has a little activesync icon, because it acesses the internet through the work system... if im on a wireless connection, the little wireless icon appears instead of the U.

So you dont have the picture/icon of the antenna with little bars under it? It's got a cross next to/over it im assuming?
Old 20-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
botch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive got the antenna pic with 2 bars of signal now, but no U

do u have msn? i have heaps of quesitons for u !
Old 20-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
4.9 EF Futura

Nah i dont have any chat access sorry champ

Happy to answer questions here tho. I think ive got my head around this thing lol
Old 20-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I have had one of these devices for about 3 or 4 months now, I absolutly love it. I have never had any issues with reception at all. I am not on telstra tho. I have found my reception was at least on par with my old Nokia 6630 or better in most cases. I have used the pocket msn and the wifi, and all the other functions with little difficulty. These things just take some getting used to.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
botch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant seem to get it to hook to my wireless setup at home.
ive added teh MAC address to the modem/router but the jas doesnt seem to find it.
Old 20-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura

Wierd.

I've never had to manually do anything for the jasjam to get it hooked up to wifi... i just turn the wifi on (via comms manager, bottom right of the today screen) and it searches/finds available networks and asks me which one i want to connect to.
Old 20-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
botch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, when i turn on the wi-fi, and shows the triangle witht the round bulb on it with arrows, but when i click on the advanced tab it says STATUS: SCANNING NETWORK but never seems to connect to it. I have the correct MAC address. When i click on the LEAP tab, it has my network name under SSID and OPEN SYSTEM under the authenication tab. ??
Old 20-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
4.9 EF Futura

So, with the LEAP settings... im guessing you added these manually? I never had to do anything on any of those pages to get it to work... the most i have to do is change proxy settings depending on where im connecting...

Sounds silly.. but try this... delete the profile that exists on the LEAP page...

Simply go into the connection manager, turn on the wifi and then close the connection manager - i.e. go back to the today screen. Just see if it does anything... as this is all ive been doing, then after it's had a think about it, i get a notification asking if i want to connect (or if there's a few networks around, which one).

It might be a setting in your wireless router (i assume that's what you're looking to connect to here?). The phone is undoubtedly capable of it... i guess its just a matter of getting all the settings right lol.
Old 20-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Mine just automatically connects too, all I had to input was the WEP encryption key I use.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post