Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb What things would you like to see on Ford Australia's cars?

I know theres been countless threads on this, but now we know Sinead Phipps, and other senior FoA staff read what we write, heres an opportunity to throw some ideas around.

I have spent the last 2 months driving FGII XT company cars (egas and petrol) 160km a day, and gotta say its a real delight. All the qualities I've always loved about Falcon are there but enhanced. Refinement, engine note,dynamics, comfort etc are beyond reproach. Its a bit wollowy and prone to bottoming out, but I will forgive that.

Having spent alot of time with the car, I want to throw in what I think could improve it come 2014.
First of all, I attended the Marketing presentation last month, and while it cleared alot of things up for me, one thing irked me.

I am 24 years old and love that style of car. When I suggested that there are many others my age who still aspire to Falcon, it was laughed off and dismissed. Granted peoples priorities are changing, but that is mostly driven by what companies will offer them. Kids in general less interested in cars? Make something to bring them back!

Hedging your bets on an older demographic will isolate the Gen Y/Z enthusiasts, who still exist. The young at heart in the demographic they're chasing will also look to Toyota 86, Commodore- which still has broad marketing appeal.

I know they haven't given up on Falcon, I was delighted to hear that. Maybe the Transformers thing is a step in the right direction ( albeit a cynical one).

Anyway; What I want to see:
  • Less dreary centre stack/ ambient lighting in XT; It might be the fleet queen but it has zero showroom appeal ATM
  • AN ECOBOOST MANUAL. I don't care what marketing/ research says- Take a punt and deliver something extraordinary. Quicker steering ratio -4 cyl needs it to take advantage of less weight. Some R spec parts maybe. Winning Blue from the Focus. And the symposer from the ST would go a long way to addressing my above diatribe.

Doesn't have to be called an XR; XT-S, XT sports pack whatever.
  • Probably wishful thinking here, but an Ecoboost I6 would be awesome.
  • While I'm at it ; Would it be costly to put the 8 speed ZF in? Its been on the market for around the same amount of time the ZF6HP6 was before it was cheap enough for us to use.

• I know everyone harps on about this but Auto up on all windows. Detail things like that are what put off alot of customers. I worked at a Ford dealership and saw this myself.

On that note, a nicer glovebox, seats that go lower, higher range of adjustment on steering boss (Are you listening Ford)?
    Configurable dash and ICC where you can change colours
  • Mining Special ute, maybe with diesel, heavier duty parts, more ground clearance.

• Low end 6 speed manual like what Holden has, for use on afforementioned Ecoboost model aswell as entry level ute. Less power demand mean its not baulky like the Tremec, something like MX5, 86 etc.

Again, manuals are diminishing, something like this will give people a reason to look at them again.
  • I personally think the FPVs are perfect, having only recently driven some. As long as the R-spec mods filter to F6 and GT I'll be happy with that
  • More audio control from st/ wheel like Mondeo.

• Territory XR6 with scalloped headlights, dechromed front grilles (matte), kinetic skirts and rear spoiler, louder colours. Even as a limited edition C'mon Ford!

Apart from the 8 speed auto, ecoboost 6, maybe diesel in the ute, these are all realistic suggestions and take into account Fords ever decreasing budget, and possible shutdown. Alot has been covered like the seats, steering height etc so I hope they at least take that on.

Anybody have something to add? And would anybody buy the manual ecoboost model I suggested?

Last edited by FalconXV; 25-09-2012 at 11:21 PM.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: What things would you like to see on Ford Australia's cars?

No ones buying the auto Ecoboost so fat chance anyone would buy a manual version. It would be last on the list of Fords wants.

8 speed ZF would be sweet but Ford have already committed to the 2nd gen ZF 6 speed for 2014.

XR Territory would do well, but would rather they call it the Territory Sports or Territory S rather than XR6.

We can only dream about how good an Ecoboost I6 would be. It would be a thumper and better on juice.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ground clearance. Biggest complaint of my tradie special XL FGII ute, Commodores with sports suspension are even easier to live with especially with their short front overhang.

Other than that it is perfect; ride, handling, built like a tank and goes like a rocket.

In other threads I have said they need the XR8 back and a XR Territory and diesel Falcon sedan and ute. As it stands the Australian cars are great- just need some great advertising and a different approach to pricing.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
No ones buying the auto Ecoboost so fat chance anyone would buy a manual version. It would be last on the list of Fords wants.

My argument is that it should be at the top. It would create more attention, get more positive press as a drivers' car, and with some sporty wrapping, vicariously get more people looking at autos and probably more of them sold. But yes sadly its a long shot. Shouldn't be, there'd be lots of suitable gearboxes out there and bugger all engineering.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
My argument is that it should be at the top. It would create more attention, get more positive press as a drivers' car, and with some sporty wrapping, vicariously get more people looking at autos and probably more of them sold. But yes sadly its a long shot. Shouldn't be, there'd be lots of suitable gearboxes out there and bugger all engineering.
Ecoboost is a lost cause and should be cancelled if the I6 is to remain as a base engine. Ecoboost Mondeo is there for buyers who want it.
Old 25-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
Trek
Blue blooded

In all seriousness, I am stuck in the past though:

Chrome bumpers
Carburetors
No pollution gear (if not, limited)
Real shapes, not a molded piece of... waste (for lack of a better word)
V8 with a savage note from factory

Otherwise it's just not a car (IMO)... it's simply transport if it defies these things and nothing more (apart from the V8 part, would be handy to have it as an option anyway) :/
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My FORD wish list is...
1. Two door Falcon
2. Aircon that works as well as a Japanese car
3. Ambient lighting, my E320 is a delight at night inside, subtle. Overhead downward facing small red LED for centre console illumination, just like a Golf
4. Better leather
5. Alacantra dash
6. Factory sunroof
7. Slightly flared guards for some fat rear rubber
8. Drink holders in the doors that hold drinks.
9. Rear cig lighter
10. An ICC that doesn't reflect in the windscreen
11. More adjustment in seat height as mentioned in OP
12. AWD like the Taurus already has.
13. Coloured centre instrumentation LED panel rather than the cheapie in the XRs, ruins instruments imo.

Yes I know buckleys but I can still ask eh!

Cheers
Geoff
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We needs the new focus ST seats in the FPV range
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford need to look at what their American cars have and whats not offered here.
Shouldn't be hard to "transplant" some of those features to the Falcon.....
Go look at a 300C (not the 300) and see what it has for $45k..G6E is povo pack in comparison..sorry..but it is..
Old 25-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Ford need to look at what their American cars have and whats not offered here.
Shouldn't be hard to "transplant" some of those features to the Falcon.....
Go look at a 300C (not the 300) and see what it has for $45k..G6E is povo pack in comparison..sorry..but it is..
I think this is where their pricing needs to be looked at, it's pretty hard to magically add technology, but the value quotient can be improved by pricing. I personally think a base model Falcon should be around a base model smaller 4wd. Sure the Falcon has a 6 cylinder but a 31grand Forester makes up the value by having 4wd which the Falcon lacks, so evens out.
Old 26-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I think this is where their pricing needs to be looked at, it's pretty hard to magically add technology, but the value quotient can be improved by pricing. I personally think a base model Falcon should be around a base model smaller 4wd. Sure the Falcon has a 6 cylinder but a 31grand Forester makes up the value by having 4wd which the Falcon lacks, so evens out.
Tell me which Falcon needs 4wd? The AWD Territory Diesel is more money, and much more car than the Subie. And much more comfortable, whilst lacking Scoobydoo's whiny power steering pump.

As for me. I would like to see more of the global tech to get added to our local lineup (2014 Falcon), but only to appease the masses that would thumb their nose at it anyway. That is all really. Maybe just some better quality sound system?
Old 26-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Tell me which Falcon needs 4wd? The AWD Territory Diesel is more money, and much more car than the Subie. And much more comfortable, whilst lacking Scoobydoo's whiny power steering pump.

As for me. I would like to see more of the global tech to get added to our local lineup (2014 Falcon), but only to appease the masses that would thumb their nose at it anyway. That is all really. Maybe just some better quality sound system?
Nah doesn't need 4wd at all, just should be the price of a smaller 4wd. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
Old 26-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
  • AN ECOBOOST MANUAL. I don't care what marketing/ research says- Take a punt and deliver something extraordinary. Quicker steering ratio -4 cyl needs it to take advantage of less weight. Some R spec parts maybe. Winning Blue from the Focus. And the symposer from the ST would go a long way to addressing my above diatribe.
Definitely. I couldn't agree more with this. The EcoBoost is a fantastic and responsive engine. Despite its primary aim of achieving better economy, it definitely has a sporty feel to it.

Quote:
  • While I'm at it ; Would it be costly to put the 8 speed ZF in? Its been on the market for around the same amount of time the ZF6HP6 was before it was cheap enough for us to use.
I don't know how costly it would be, but whether the 8 speed ZF gets the green light will obviously depend on that. It would be nice to have, though.

Quote:
  • I know everyone harps on about this but Auto up on all windows. Detail things like that are what put off alot of customers. I worked at a Ford dealership and saw this myself.
This. I couldn't agree more. Yes, there are people that don't need all the fancy gadgets, but it is what sells cars. The Falcon is seriously lacking them, unfortunately.

And not just auto up and auto down on all windows, but any other feature that you care to name which are available on cars cheaper than the Falcon.

Quote:
  • Territory XR6 with scalloped headlights, dechromed front grilles (matte), kinetic skirts and rear spoiler, louder colours. Even as a limited edition C'mon Ford!
Now, that I'm not so sure about. Territory's main demographic are families. If I recall, the F6X didn't sell particularly well, so why would an "XR6" Territory sell better?

Quote:
And would anybody buy the manual ecoboost model I suggested?
Ask me again in 2014. But I love, love, love the EcoBoost engine. It's absolutely brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ah, but how many people actually know about the EcoBoost Falcon? Most of the people I have spoken to didn't even know a 4 cylinder Falcon exists. Admittedly, "most people I speak to" isn't even equivalent to 1% if the car buying demographic, but if people actually know about the EcoBoost Falcon and went for a test drive with an open mind, I'm sure they'd be impressed.

Quote:
Ecoboost is a lost cause and should be cancelled if the I6 is to remain as a base engine. Ecoboost Mondeo is there for buyers who want it.
Not so fast. The EcoBoost Falcon has been around for what, barely six months? Secondly, I would argue that the EcoBoost is a better engine than the six. Why drop the world class, efficient engine for a large capacity six that is, rightly or wrongly, seen as a fuel guzzler?

There's room for both engines to exist in the Falcon line up. One doesn't necessarily have to be in place of the other. Having both engines gives the customers choice as to what they'd like to power their Falcon.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #14
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Nah doesn't need 4wd at all, just should be the price of a smaller 4wd. Sorry if it wasn't clear.
Yes people do often quote price as a factor... but for something Falcon's size, it's damn good money.

I doubt a 5 series BMW could come down to that price once tech was removed to make parity.

It's just more Aussies complaining, and wanting something for nothing. We can never go back to the days of Falcons with wind up windows, hand adjustable mirrors, and a tilt reach steering wheel.
Old 26-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205

Ah, but how many people actually know about the EcoBoost Falcon? Most of the people I have spoken to didn't even know a 4 cylinder Falcon exists. Admittedly, "most people I speak to" isn't even equivalent to 1% if the car buying demographic, but if people actually know about the EcoBoost Falcon and went for a test drive with an open mind, I'm sure they'd be impressed.

Not so fast. The EcoBoost Falcon has been around for what, barely six months? Secondly, I would argue that the EcoBoost is a better engine than the six. Why drop the world class, efficient engine for a large capacity six that is, rightly or wrongly, seen as a fuel guzzler?

There's room for both engines to exist in the Falcon line up. One doesn't necessarily have to be in place of the other. Having both engines gives the customers choice as to what they'd like to power their Falcon.
Half the reason no one knows about it is because no one wants to know about it. Ecoboost was the answer to a question no one was asking. I think half of Australia knew of the Toyota 86 before a single ad was broadcast - it created conversation as it was a car a significant amount of people want, likewise the same thing happened with diesel Territory leading up to its release. In the end there has been significant press coverage of Ecoboost and no one cares. I don't even think anyone even on this forum has bought one.

Unfortunately there is not room for both engines, they take sales from each other which leads them to both be unsustainable. I6 needs every sale it gets, it can't afford even the tiny amount of substitution that the barely selling Ecoboost causes.
Old 26-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Turbo xr8!
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Yes people do often quote price as a factor... but for something Falcon's size, it's damn good money.

I doubt a 5 series BMW could come down to that price once tech was removed to make parity.

It's just more Aussies complaining, and wanting something for nothing. We can never go back to the days of Falcons with wind up windows, hand adjustable mirrors, and a tilt reach steering wheel.
If its too expensive, it's too expensive. Falcon is a great car but it's a fairly simple car with a cast iron 6, the body offers a lot of space but that really doesn't cost much more to manufacture than a body offering the space of a Focus. I just think the pricing is a bit out of whack against the 20 grand Mazda 3s and the 30 grand 4wd Forester wagons.
Old 26-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #18
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think cars like the VW Passat show how the market positions the vehicles around the Falcon XT price.

VW Passat $38,990
7 spd auto
Turbo 4 cylinder
Electronic diff lock (mud, snow, sand)
8 airbags
Front parking sensors
Rear parking sensors
Rear view camera
Air pollutant filter
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Heat insulated windows
30 gig hard disk drive
Full size alloy spare
Regenerative brakes that charge battery
Tyre pressure sensors
Voice recognition
Leather interior
Satellite navigation...

For the price of a Falcon XT

Photo of actual base model Passat:
Old 26-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #19
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205

Everybody except one car guy at my work said "really?" or "no?" when i asked if they knew there was a 4cyl Falcon. When i told them it makes more power than my 6cyl Falcon they raised their eyebrows. These are people between 20 and 50 years of age. We listen to the radio at work, radio ads cant be that expensive??

Things id like to see....hmm. A real wagon would be good (not Territory, something lighter and larger inside than a bloated SUV). RTV would be good. Even just for the utes where its needed most. Diesel wouldnt hurt either in the utes. Even as a general option for any Falcon!

But ignore me, i wouldn't buy none of them anyway! Im not rich enough and have my wagon to custom build. Diesel RTV ute would probably sell though!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #20
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pedestrians wearing earphones
Old 26-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #21
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

As TheInterceptor said, WAGONS!!!

I'll take a FGII Falcon G6 RTV AWD wagon, with a 6.2L V8, roo bar, roof rack, mudflaps All the goodies I can get me hands on.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
zilo
BANNED

A factory sunroof option is what I miss on the current falcon.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Half the reason no one knows about it is because no one wants to know about it.
Because people are still stuck with the 20 year old perception that 4 cylinder engines are for small cars and that only milk and juice comes in 2 litres.

Quote:
Unfortunately there is not room for both engines, they take sales from each other which leads them to both be unsustainable. I6 needs every sale it gets, it can't afford even the tiny amount of substitution that the barely selling Ecoboost causes.
Correction: the Falcon needs every sale it gets. What does it matter what engine it's powered by?

The current I6's days are numbered with ever tightening emission laws. Doing the EcoBoost is an investment into the future. Dropping it after only six months would be madness.

That said, I'd love to see Ford invest in a brand new, modern and efficient I6 engine to complement the EcoBoost 4 in the future line up. Just as BMW and Merc are going back to I6s, I'd like to see Ford do the same and design an all new I6. I prefer I6s to V6s. I don't think it'll happen, though.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #24
XM-coupe

I personally think the I6 is a fantastic engine. I believe it should be further developed with direct injection in all the models including the XR6 Turbo
XM-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #25
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I think cars like the VW Passat show how the market positions the vehicles around the Falcon XT price.

VW Passat $38,990
7 spd auto
Turbo 4 cylinder
Electronic diff lock (mud, snow, sand)
8 airbags
Front parking sensors
Rear parking sensors
Rear view camera
Air pollutant filter
Heated mirrors
Heated seats
Heat insulated windows
30 gig hard disk drive
Full size alloy spare
Regenerative brakes that charge battery
Tyre pressure sensors
Voice recognition
Leather interior
Satellite navigation...

For the price of a Falcon XT

Photo of actual base model Passat:
That's global models for you Brazen.

Falcon would come with a lot more if Ford would wake up and take it global.
Old 26-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #26
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

I think some people are forgetting the the EcoBoost is part of OneFord, and future proofing the falcon.

Ford have stated that they want a 4cly in every ford variant (something along those lines). If anything, the I6 is the lost cause....only sold here, no chance of being implemented in global vehicles...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #27
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

5 yr unlimited km warranty to match the Koreans and capped price servicing in line with Toyota.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I know its not FoA but..
The I5T in the new ST. And an AWD ST.
Old 26-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #29
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some seam sealer and paint on overlapping panels,go's along way believe it or not.
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On Falcon and derivatives:

Big things:
Better brake options on XRT/G6T/GS
Larger fuel tank.
Better vision to the sides and rear possibly upgrade the reversing camera to show a split screen left and right when indicators are operating.

Little things:
Sunglass holder in utes etc.
More than one power outlet perhaps at the back of the console.
Factory brackets or bracket fittings to hold gizmos like phones etc.
Better drink holders etc. in doors.
Better ICC/smartphone integration.
Satnav that does not cost more than a whole new portable satnav to upgrade maps and has at least the same features as a $99 special let alone a $500 garmin.
Remote that has more tactile feel like earlier models.
Acoustic feedback from remote operation like earlier models e.g. BA.
No shiny silver accents in the cabin that are blinding when the sun is setting from behind.
Interior that is more "scratch proof".

Bling:
Colored brake covers like in BA
Optional no stripes and/or panda eyes on FPV inc GS.

Most of this stuff is extremely inexpensive to implement and would improve the ergonomics greatly.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post