Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Centre Console Questions

The centre console I'm talking about is the bit with the cup holders and shifters.

First of all, yes I was an idiot. I had a tinned air horn sitting in my cup holder. The type that's a can of air with the horn on top. Must have got just a little too hot when my car was sitting, and it exploded.

Its busted the bottom of my cup holder, wrecked the bit that pulls out to hold bottles/cans, and somehow knocked out the light beneath my shifter. That's just visible damage.

My questions are:
- The whole thing from the back of the console right to the front looks to be one piece, is this correct?
- Is there anything essential or major under the cup holders that could have been damaged (wiring etc)?
- How hard is it to change the centre console so I can have cup holders again?
- How much on average would a wrecker charge me for one?

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
- The whole thing from the back of the console right to the front looks to be one piece, is this correct?
Yes

Quote:
- Is there anything essential or major under the cup holders that could have been damaged (wiring etc)?
Don't think there is. Only thing of interest is the airbag control unit, but it's up the front under the dash. So it should be right. You'd know by now if it wasn't
Quote:
- How hard is it to change the centre console so I can have cup holders again?
Not hard. Take the shifter handle off. Then it's 6 bolts (2 at the rear to the floor, 2 under the cup holder section, 2 under the tray at the front, and maneuver from vehicle.
Quote:
- How much on average would a wrecker charge me for one?
Dunno, seen them around/under $50 on ebay some times

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks heaps.

So there's not really any wiring or anything I need to worry about when taking it out/putting a new one in?
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 25-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you've got the courtesy light in the rear of it there will be a cable and connector.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Nah mate, just a stock Forte, so doesn't have that. Although now got me thinking, wonder if I could do stuff like putting one in when I change the console...
Quote:
Old 25-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

I have rear cup holders ...

but nah in all seriousness rik, that sucks big time man :( ...

As for removing it, it's pretty much the easiest thing you can do. It'll give you a chance to clean it aswell lol. The first time will take you longer, but after that when you know you can do it in about 45seconds. ... Bro, if I can do it then you deffinatly can ... hahaha ...

If you needa hand man or get stuck just give me a buzz and I'll talk you through it. But superroo gave all the perfect instructions.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The main wiring harness that runs to the rear of the car goes over the trans tunnel just behind the shifter. Better make sure your rear lights/indicators are working!
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cheers Nathan.

FTe342, I never thought of that! However, I had a couple of mates following me last night and they didn't say anything when we caught up again, and if they were out I'm sure the officer who was behind me for a little while would have been only too happy to let me know. Will double check though just in case.
Quote: