Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #241
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny

Im with Voda and am 100% happy with my setup, have been for years.
Would not go back to opt-ar$e (optus) even if they had the best plans ever.
The online billing setup is rubbish where u have to log in to see it, or pay a few $$ for a paper bill.
Voda just email it and I pay it via bpay.. Plus other family members have had serious trouble with opt-ar$e as well..
I must be the only person happy with optus lol. My bill is emailed to me and I pay on bpay too. Will be looking at the new phone once the hype dies down.
Old 30-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #242
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got my iPhone 4 32GB last night at about 12:30am. Again, the screen is insane. The speed is phenomenal, the look is incredible, HD recording is mind boggling good, photos are improved drastically. Amazing. I was the 29th person inline at T-Life Chermside, the guys and girls there were great. Telstra service has definitely improved, and I'm very happy with their plan rates. They even gave us water and an Apple along with plenty of candy. Got two hours of sleep last night, just couldn't keep my mitts of this beautiful smartphone.
Old 30-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #243
Sprint347
Tickford

I get mine on Monday, anyone want a 2 month old 3G for $300?
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #244
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
HD recording is mind boggling good,
grab yourself Imovie and you'll have the complete hd package.
Old 30-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #245
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
grab yourself Imovie and you'll have the complete hd package.
Have they put it up in iTunes yet? I still can't find it?
Old 30-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #246
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Has my fingers in my ears 'lalalalalalala' (only got my 3GS 2mths ago) i need to stay out of this thread.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #247
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint347
I get mine on Monday, anyone want a 2 month old 3G for $300?
PM Sent.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #248
TWENTY B
Au Addict

off to vodafone in the city tomorrow to get mine, if there is any left.
Old 31-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #249
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWENTY B
off to vodafone in the city tomorrow to get mine, if there is any left.
If it's Sydney city, no. Sold out by lunchtime yesterday.
Old 31-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #250
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

So for those here lucky enough to have one, can we have a rundown on first and ongoing impressions of the phone??

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #251
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

hhhmmmm 2 mth old 3GS $600 anyone
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 31-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #252
TWENTY B
Au Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
If it's Sydney city, no. Sold out by lunchtime yesterday.
HAHA, Scored big,
yes, they did run out,
but just as i got there they started calling customers that had made preorders but not picked them up..
so i got a 32gig, 1st person to get one since they sold out yesterday
coulnd't believe my luck

death grip does drop reception, but it's still awsom
Old 31-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #253
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huge flush of Iphones onto eBay today. I'm waiting for one to come along at the right price

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #254
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmcmillan
Huge flush of Iphones onto eBay today. I'm waiting for one to come along at the right price
I knew that would happen, let me know how you go id sell mine at the right price. If it doesnt sell ill buy an iPhone 4 out right in abohut 6wks
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 31-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #255
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

Well I was the 5th person inline at the Whitfords Optus store, got 2 black 16g phones one for me and one for the missus had. Got there at 7:40am and store didnt open till 9am, but glad I did. I never had a 3g or 3gs but pretty happy with the iphone 4. Very quick, great screen resolution, siginal isnt the best but still enough to make calls etc. Few thing I dont like about it that thats itunes being abit of a pain in *** moving and changing the ID3 tags for my music.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #256
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
So for those here lucky enough to have one, can we have a rundown on first and ongoing impressions of the phone??
Sensational. I keep saying the screen is great, but it's because the screen is great. I can honestly say it looks better than my iPad screen. Multitasking is quick and easy, it took Apple a while but it works perfectly. The whole phone is faster, and the battery life is quite good. Death grip? I can replicate it, it drops two bars. But I don't hold my phone like a gorilla so it hasn't effected my daily use. The speaker is better, the microphone too seems much clearer. I will say my 3G and 3GS sit better in my hand, due to the rounded back, but the slimmer and thinner iPhone 4 will no doubt become like second nature sooner or later. The camera is much better, HD video is awesome. It's just sensational.

One thing I will say though is after looking at an Android phone today, I wish the iPhone 4 has widgets. But that's it. Apple has produced a fantastic phone here.
Old 31-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #257
TWENTY B
Au Addict

i'm still real new to iphones, so i'm not sure hopw to multitask, and tips for us newbies?
although the camera is alot better, it's still trash compared to the 5mp from my N95.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #258
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Tori and I got our 16G Iphone 4's on the release day. Lucky we are with 3 and not too many are as we got ours from Carindale and we got there just before 7 am for a 8 am opening, 4th in line and had our phones by 0830 (in the city they lined up for 12 hrs).

I noticed the death grip and was worried about this but I bought a cheap belkin cover and it is all fixed now, I can hold however I like. They also have an app that enables you to log on and order your free cover, I am waiting for my new carbon fibre appearance cover to arrive (every rev head needs CF).

I would disagree with the comment about the camera, I had a N95 8G before this one and I find the apple camera to be just as good and easier to use. I must also say the screen resolution is streets ahead.

I tunes is a cinch to use (so much better than the nokia crap) and the ear phones are brilliant with their remote and good length cord.

Battery time seems ok but it has been plugged in lot while I have been downloading apps and loading songs, I will have to wait and see on this one.

I found a pretty good website for downloading ringtones too, apple charge you for theirs.

I will update with more details as I find them.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #259
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i had a little play around with iphone 4 at Bentleigh Telstra shop on the day it got released, of what i saw of its really fast compared to the last version , i don't think i'll get it through.

Last edited by Ralliart; 01-08-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #260
TWENTY B
Au Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
EXTRACT...
I noticed the death grip and was worried about this but I bought a cheap belkin cover and it is all fixed now, I can hold however I like. They also have an app that enables you to log on and order your free cover, I am waiting for my new carbon fibre appearance cover to arrive (every rev head needs CF).

I would disagree with the comment about the camera, I had a N95 8G before this one and I find the apple camera to be just as good and easier to use. I must also say the screen resolution is streets ahead.

I found a pretty good website for downloading ringtones too, apple charge you for theirs.
i got a candy case, that fixed the reception issue as soon as it went on.
i want a carbon shell, how'd you score that?

i used the cam on my N95 alot, but not just in auto mode, i used macro and manual settings a great deal to get some fantastic quality images (especially for a phone) i can't replicate those images with the iphone, maybe once i get an upgraded camera app i will have more luck.

care to share the ringtone website with us? please

I'm loving it more and more,
should have it jailbroken within the week, then it will be on for young and old.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #261
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

I brought a 32gb black iPhone 4 on release day.
A very close friend owns All Phones in Garden City Shopping Centre here in Perth and his store only got 3 iPhone 4's in.... 1 x 16gb, 1 x 32gb and another 16gb which Apple made them buy outright and to be used as an instore demo model only (hes not happy about it and would rather sell it to someone).

Anyway he was kind enough to put it to one side for me when the store recieved the stock the day before. Good not having to lineup and just casually rock up at 10am then walk out 30 mins later with the iPhone 4 walking past all the other telco shops with people lining up in big lines...

Got the Optus $59 extreme cap. Gets me $550 worth of calls, 2gb of data, unlimited free national sms & mms, free access to facebook. $10 extra per month for the 32gb iPhone 4 (will be good when i come to sell it as i sold my 16gb iPhone 3 for $300 on ebay the other day and doubt i would get that for 8gb model). Optus also gave me a free screen protector and free bumper case (have also registered with Apple to recieve a free official Apple bumper case with the free case program).

Anyway my review.....

In my opinion the iPhone 4 is the best phone out there by far... It has the Highest rez screen i have ever seen on a mobile phone, looks amazing!
REALLY REALLY fast compared to the wifes 3GS, apps and websites open in a flash. Even switching the phone to landscape doesnt lag one bit, all very very smooth. Have tried and tried and tried to "death grip" the phone but hasnt dropped a call and havent seen a single reception bar drop when held other than normal. The Phone is REALLY thin compared to the 3G / 3GS, feels tiny in your hand but feels ALOT heavier than a 3G / 3GS but crammed with the bigger A4 chip, more ram and bigger camera etc this is obviously why.

The design looks fantastic! The stainless steel band (the antenna gate) sets the phone apart. I find the speaker gives alot clearer sound than my old 3G, also seems to have a higher sound output aswell when using the phone on speaker whilst driving. The second mic next to the headphone jack also minimalizes anyway noise to give a clearer voice whilst talking.
The camera looks great and the picture quality is fantastic compared to my 3G and the wifes 3GS. The front facing camera is also great and takes good pictures. The LED flash also helps with the low light photos (download the LED flash app and use the LED flash as a torch :oP)

Battery life is a god send compared to my 3G. I used my phone all day and at work (had a solid 3 hours at work playing angry birds and put some music on and hardly chewed the battery at all... 2 days and still have 20% battery left.

Multitasking is great but not used it on my 3G i have hardly seen the reason to do so on this model but im sure i will soon enough.

If i could find ANYTHING wrong with this phone it would be the glass rear panel. Would be VERY skeptical about having dropping the phone. I hate putting cases on the iPhone as it takes away the slim factor. Bumpers look good but feel weird. So make sure you grab a front AND rear screen protector to avoid scratching etc. Have seen pics of some people who have dropped their iPhone 4 with the rear of it all cracked... yes strengthened glass still breaks!

Overall i reckon and 9 out of 10.

If 4G speed is available in OZ this time next year and the rollout becomes more available in the USA more and more consider a iPhone 4G that uses 4G speed next year for sure. (HTC EVO 4G doesnt work in Australia at all)
Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #262
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

i used the cam on my N95 alot, but not just in auto mode, i used macro and manual settings a great deal to get some fantastic quality images (especially for a phone) i can't replicate those images with the iphone, maybe once i get an upgraded camera app i will have more luck.

care to share the ringtone website with us? please

I'm loving it more and more,
should have it jailbroken within the week, then it will be on for young and old.
Here you are, link to the ringtone website here
Ringtones

I can see what you mean by the camera and the manual settings, if that is important to you then I trust it may be an issue (I have tried neither the N95 nor IPhone for this so I do not know). I have a digital SLR for all that stuff so I see no need to use a phone for this, I just use the camera on the phone for the opportune happy snap and thats all, so it does not worry me.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #263
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Go to the IStore app page and download the free case app. When you log onto it there is a Speck cover listed as graphite, in the pics it seems to look like CF.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #264
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well after a good half or or so going over the iPhone 4 at the apple store at Chermside in Bris, i can say that yes indeed the screen is a lot better then the 3GS, but other then that there isnt much that would make me switch from my new 3GS to a 4 right now. Yeah its a very nice looking phone and is a little quicker but not enough for me to warrant getting one just yet
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #265
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Well after a good half or or so going over the iPhone 4 at the apple store at Chermside in Bris, i can say that yes indeed the screen is a lot better then the 3GS, but other then that there isnt much that would make me switch from my new 3GS to a 4 right now. Yeah its a very nice looking phone and is a little quicker but not enough for me to warrant getting one just yet

I have heard a lot of similar comments to this from others in the US. I common comment is that if you are due for a new phone then get gen 4 but if not, wait as gen 3GS is not that different and not worth paying a lot of money for early.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #266
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I have heard a lot of similar comments to this from others in the US. I common comment is that if you are due for a new phone then get gen 4 but if not, wait as gen 3GS is not that different and not worth paying a lot of money for early.
It will be my next phone but not just yet
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #267
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Was looking at some vids of the new iPhone the other day, looks like a decent piece of kit but a few things did surprise me...

Still using a 3.5" screen and 5MP camera?...my X10 has a 4" screen and 8MP camera!

The reception issues mean I will wait till the next release as I hate putting my phones in a case, ruins the look and makes them too bulky.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #268
TWENTY B
Au Addict

thanks for that gecko, looks good, but it said shipping will be 6-8 weeks :cry
took my 1st proper pics thisarvo with the i4, what do you all think?

more here, http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/x...irmont%20Ghia/
Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #269
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Put 2 on lay-by at Optus Ringwood,one for the missus and one for me, should be in store in 2 weeks or so.
Had to start the contracts yesterday, even though we don't get the phones yet.
Looking forward to it as I have got an old original N95, had a play with the store demo and came away impressed.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #270
Sprint347
Tickford

Quote:
thanks for that gecko, looks good, but it said shipping will be 6-8 weeks :cry
took my 1st proper pics thisarvo with the i4, what do you all think?

more here, http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/x...irmont%20Ghia/
Not bad at all for a phone.

I love BF2 Ghias... trying to talk the lady into getting one!
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post