Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 13-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Default Re: TRP Racing Ford Falcon XR6T runs 9.1@159mph, update 8.48@165mph.

*Sigh* i remember the day my flexplate came loose .... lol and i sure don't trap 166mph+ go buy a lotto ticket
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
*Sigh* i remember the day my flexplate came loose .... lol and i sure don't trap 166mph+ go buy a lotto ticket
is it a common thing?
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Revving over 7000rpm yep ....
Old 15-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Revving over 7000rpm yep ....
dodgy Ford build quality
Old 15-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
dodgy Ford build quality
Old 14-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Does ARP do a bolt upgrade for the flexplate?
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Does ARP do a bolt upgrade for the flexplate?
Yeah I think so. We definitely have an upgraded bolt kit for the flex plate. It was lock tighted on but we didn't weld it as the billet flex plate looked too shiny.

If it is loose - we will need to weld them as well to make sure they stay put!!
Old 14-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Road Games

Yep
Old 14-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
CYC06T

So after coming back from a break we have run the car up in the hoist for a sticky beak and turns out that all 6 of the ARP bolts in the flex plate have snapped off. The Flex plate basically fell out. Long story short the car will be all fixed up and back out for the test n tune on Saturday.

Off we go ....
Old 14-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
icer
Winning's Winning!

try less boost? haah

good luck!

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
prasac
Banned

lucky break, it coulda been alot worse. how much are you revving it to?
Old 15-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
CYC06T

Quote:
lucky break, it coulda been alot worse. how much are you revving it to?
Yeah - dodged a bit of a bullet methinks. We will take a few extra steps to keep them in place this time I am pretty happy though, car hasnt missed a beat and has done the most 8-sec consistent passes out of any of the top few cars.

We drained the oil out of the box to see how it was wearing, and it still looked like new.

Revving it to about 7400rpm as we cross the line. As we know, these engines are more torquey and dont really like revving much higher for long periods.

We will run some taller tyres again this weekend to try and bring it down a bit. MT 29.5 x 10.5W. This time with the stiff sidewall. Its easier than a gearing change and will keep the car in the meatier part of the torque curve we think.

We have a couple more things to get done before Jambo - especially with the competition looking to come out and set a new bench mark.

You guys heading out this weekend?
Old 15-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYC06T
Yeah - dodged a bit of a bullet methinks. We will take a few extra steps to keep them in place this time I am pretty happy though, car hasnt missed a beat and has done the most 8-sec consistent passes out of any of the top few cars.

We drained the oil out of the box to see how it was wearing, and it still looked like new.

Revving it to about 7400rpm as we cross the line. As we know, these engines are more torquey and dont really like revving much higher for long periods.

We will run some taller tyres again this weekend to try and bring it down a bit. MT 29.5 x 10.5W. This time with the stiff sidewall. Its easier than a gearing change and will keep the car in the meatier part of the torque curve we think.

We have a couple more things to get done before Jambo - especially with the competition looking to come out and set a new bench mark.

You guys heading out this weekend?
won't be out this weekend, but, will be there for Jambo. we will be racing in Extreme.

i was thinking after i read they snapped maybe putting in some dowels, was talking to Spiro this morning and told him, he said he was thinking the same thing they have revved Daniel's to over 8500rpm i'm not sure what they are using on the flexplate.

hopefully the new tyre works out, and i hear ya about consistency we were saying the same thing. better to have a car that can consistently knock out 8.40's etc than do a 8.30 for 1 pass
Old 15-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
CYC06T

Quote:
won't be out this weekend, but, will be there for Jambo. we will be racing in Extreme.

i was thinking after i read they snapped maybe putting in some dowels, was talking to Spiro this morning and told him, he said he was thinking the same thing they have revved Daniel's to over 8500rpm i'm not sure what they are using on the flexplate.

hopefully the new tyre works out, and i hear ya about consistency we were saying the same thing. better to have a car that can consistently knock out 8.40's etc than do a 8.30 for 1 pass
Yeah - we have considered dowels. Will probably be a future move when we have to pull out the engine to freshen it up next.

Will keep you posted on how we go. The new tyres will be interesting to see how they go.
Old 15-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Yeah - we have considered dowels. Will probably be a future move when we have to pull out the engine to freshen it up next.

Will keep you posted on how we go. The new tyres will be interesting to see how they go.
sweet, sounds good, hopefully you have a trouble free weekend.

Quote:
Cool - drop by and say gday.
hope u have more luck with Matt then i did, he jinxed us when we were putting the marquee down, the brackets grabbed hold of my skin between my thumb n index finger and was eating it away, fortunately Matt came to me rescue and didn't lose too much skin
Old 15-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

I will be lol someone got to stand up for the slow NA.
Old 15-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
CYC06T

Quote:
I will be lol someone got to stand up for the slow NA.
Cool - drop by and say gday.
Old 15-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like how its my fault hahah Joe was in a hurry and not happy about the car poping that did it from memory. I blame Paulie for my red light the dramatic resuce earlier had me to pumped up

I meant i will be at Jambo, I got my own lawns to mow they should just buy a slasher and pull it behind a 8 second car will have it all sorted in mins not hours. I would go help but its a bit of drive.
Old 15-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
prasac
Banned

Quote:
I like how its my fault hahah Joe was in a hurry and not happy about the car poping that did it from memory. I blame Paulie for my red light the dramatic resuce earlier had me to pumped up

I meant i will be at Jambo, I got my own lawns to mow they should just buy a slasher and pull it behind a 8 second car will have it all sorted in mins not hours. I would go help but its a bit of drive.
yeah was some issue. seems of late it's picking up some niggling problem every meet or 2. runs good for a few meets then something happens. it's unusual in the 22 years he has raced the car has only once ever had to be towed from the track. even driving on the streets i think just once it broke down broke a fan belt.

hopefully at Jambo all 3 of us can have a safe, trouble free meet.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
CYC06T

Quote:
yeah was some issue. seems of late it's picking up some niggling problem every meet or 2. runs good for a few meets then something happens. it's unusual in the 22 years he has raced the car has only once ever had to be towed from the track. even driving on the streets i think just once it broke down broke a fan belt.

hopefully at Jambo all 3 of us can have a safe, trouble free meet.
Thats definitely the plan!
Old 16-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #21
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats the plan Stan! Although I havent done a pass since Nov everytime I start to drive up it rains out.
Old 16-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
prasac
Banned

i was talking to Spiro today, he was saying Daniel will be out with the DLM Falcon tomorrow, just setup runs for a couple meets while he gets back into the swing of things.

he hopes both u n Daniel have safe trouble free passes
Old 17-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #23
xf84
CAN roadtrip!!

Man, that is very impressive!!
The Cruiser - '73 XB Fairmont Coupe - 351 Clevo, C10, XC 9".
xf84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #24
prasac
Banned

hey Phil, how'd u go on Saturday mate?
Old 18-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
CYC06T

Quote:
hey Phil, how'd u go on Saturday mate?
The short answer is not very good. The weather caused a very late start and when I finally got a pass I dropped some water in the burnout from a slightly full overflow bottle. Had to take it back to the pits to sort out. Next pass it seemed there was a slight leak in the CO2 bottle and it lost boost at launch. Next pass it didn't even come up on the trans brake before it lost boost. Sounds like a split hose or perhaps a computer issue. Will do some checking in the next week or so and sort it out for Jambo.

I was pretty bummed yesterday as it was a long day for little return, but I learnt a few new things and I they were important leanings so I will focus on the positives. There was lengthy delays with the accident that Rocco was in. It was 2 cars in front of me so we had a wait of about an hour and a half. At least it looks like he was ok.

Onwards and upwards.....
Old 19-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #26
prasac
Banned

Quote:
The short answer is not very good. The weather caused a very late start and when I finally got a pass I dropped some water in the burnout from a slightly full overflow bottle. Had to take it back to the pits to sort out. Next pass it seemed there was a slight leak in the CO2 bottle and it lost boost at launch. Next pass it didn't even come up on the trans brake before it lost boost. Sounds like a split hose or perhaps a computer issue. Will do some checking in the next week or so and sort it out for Jambo.

I was pretty bummed yesterday as it was a long day for little return, but I learnt a few new things and I they were important leanings so I will focus on the positives. There was lengthy delays with the accident that Rocco was in. It was 2 cars in front of me so we had a wait of about an hour and a half. At least it looks like he was ok.

Onwards and upwards.....
the worst is when you go out expecting to run good, we have went out alot of times hoping to run a PB and either the car or the track is not there. now we just go out hoping all is good, if it runs a number excellent

it's always a learning curve, you pick something up each meet. don't get too disheartened there are guys with alot more experience, knowledge and $'s that have trouble getting it right, sometimes things just happen no matter how hard you try and have everything as sorted as you can.

i heard yesterday about Rocco's accident. he should be ok.
Old 19-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #27
allmtr

Keep at it, mate. Awesome work so far!
allmtr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are you using for the overflow bottle? can you fit a second overflow bottle to catch it if it over fills again? Thats what I did for mine.

Whats do you use the CO2 I assuming cooling the intercooler but I am not sure how that effects boost etc.

Good luck hope you have all sorted and get some good runs in looking forward to seeing it at jambo
Old 19-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
prasac
Banned

Quote:
What are you using for the overflow bottle? can you fit a second overflow bottle to catch it if it over fills again? Thats what I did for mine.

Whats do you use the CO2 I assuming cooling the intercooler but I am not sure how that effects boost etc.

Good luck hope you have all sorted and get some good runs in looking forward to seeing it at jambo
the co2 would be for the boost controller. Phil uses the awesome AMS1000 which controls boost pressure thru the wastegates using c02 instead of springs/solenoids etc.

if you fill up an overflow bottle or catch can then you have a serious problem best position for one would be behind the rear wheels at high speeds you don't want any type of fluid getting under your wheels. people see a R2D2 looking thing on the back of mine, it's actually not R2 its my catch can, it's about 6L if it fills up it dumps behind my back wheels i have water, oil, tranny fluid everything running to mine, it's about 6L i think.

Old 20-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #30
CYC06T

Quote:
the co2 would be for the boost controller. Phil uses the awesome AMS1000 which controls boost pressure thru the wastegates using c02 instead of springs/solenoids etc.

if you fill up an overflow bottle or catch can then you have a serious problem best position for one would be behind the rear wheels at high speeds you don't want any type of fluid getting under your wheels. people see a R2D2 looking thing on the back of mine, it's actually not R2 its my catch can, it's about 6L if it fills up it dumps behind my back wheels i have water, oil, tranny fluid everything running to mine, it's about 6L i think.

Yeah any fluid is a bad thing. I have an expansion bottle and an overflow bottle. We find the car uses a fair bit of water, so it gets topped up between runs. I just overfilled it a bit and when one of my pit crew emptied it, water ran along the chassis rail and we didnt want to risk any water leaking out during the run so we went back to the pits to sort out. No biggie, just a pain in the butt.

Yep - CO2 to control boost pressure. We really need to get the two-step working, so will play with that between now and jambo maybe.