Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2021, 12:42 AM   #211
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
Famous last words. I had an uncle and aunty that said a similar thing about buying a Japanese car in the 60's. By the mid 70's they bought a Toyota Crown and for the next 30years they just kept upgrading with same brand. Chinese cars will be no different.
If the reason why they aren't buying them is because of a perceived lack of quality, then you might be right.

But if the reason they're not buying Chinese is political or philosophical, then you're dead wrong.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #212
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Reds under the bed
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #213
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
If the reason why they aren't buying them is because of a perceived lack of quality, then you might be right.

But if the reason they're not buying Chinese is political or philosophical, then you're dead wrong.
Nothing political about my post, all about quality. Quality will pick up faster with the Chinese more than with the Japanese and Koreans due the technology car manufacturing use these days.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #214
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The whole interesting the point about the MG, is that rather than try flog Cherrys or Ghiglis, etc, based purely on their cheapness, they bought an existing iconic brand and marketed the heck out of it.

The Chinese can, have, and will continue to, make inroads because they sell their currency short and hence make their goods cheaper. (That's an interesting Economics debate all of it's own, but the pricing is what it is.)

Quality is relative, and evolving. Obviously a Chinese car made today is in most respects better quality than a German car made 50 years ago. But they'll never be as good, and they will never catch up.
And besides, just because the majority of the population is happy to drink Goon, doesn't make it "as good" as a nice Bordeaux.

A friend recently bought an MG. She was thrilled to get a new car for that price. She doesn't care how well it handles, or how good it is mechanically, she doesn't know it's made in China, and probably wouldn't care if she did. She just likes that it's new, bright & shiny, and has a lot more features than her previous old bomb.

Somewhat ironically, the future of Chinese cars in Australia is mostly about politics and economics. We're one of the few countries without significant import duties, hence why the Chinese are relatively keen to sell here (not withstanding that we're a relatively small market)
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #215
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They're releasing an EV sports car soon with a claimed 480km range and sub 4 second 0-100km/h time.

It'll be interesting to see what that costs compared to Tesla Model 3.

Where Chinese car manufacturers can gain ground is in the segments passed over by the established brands.

They've capitalised on everyone abandoning the micro segment, what else are they going to get into in our market?
Old 12-07-2021, 07:25 AM   #216
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They're releasing an EV sports car soon with a claimed 480km range and sub 4 second 0-100km/h time.

It'll be interesting to see what that costs compared to Tesla Model 3.

Where Chinese car manufacturers can gain ground is in the segments passed over by the established brands.

They've capitalised on everyone abandoning the micro segment, what else are they going to get into in our market?
The only benefit I see if the Chinese keeping the others at least a little bit honest with pricing.

While it might not be like for like just yet if they are within spitting distance of delivering the vital states of range and recharge time then its game on.

EV unlike ICE is going to open the market right up, sure there is alot of electrical development required but with such a reduction of components versus a traditional vehicle you reply on less technical expertise.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #217
slowsnake
Banned

A friend of mine in Sydney finally contacted me after 10 years, she's a really nice young lady, 40 years old and an RN working in women's breast cancer wards, so works hard in a tough job.

I asked if she still had the old Ford Focus?....she said Billy I'm driving a beautiful black MG Essence, she said brand new and cheap to run!
She was/is over the moon owning her first new car, said it was easy to drive and very comfortable on long trips.
I said "Good onya mate" you deserve it, all the shift work and long hours paid off eh, she said yep sure did!

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2021, 11:16 PM   #218
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Oh good..............

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...d-in-australia
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2021, 12:22 AM   #219
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
That's why they keep getting sales because when everyone says it's too hard, Chinese companies find a way - there's MGs in the dealership, everything else you've got to wait 6 months, no thanks

Culturally Chinese and Taiwanese companies are fantastic to deal with, very responsive and willing to work with you.

On the other hand Ive had nothing but problems dealing with American based companies with their crap products and they respond at glacial pace.

I've been resourcing away from pain in the *** American companies - quality is crap, they can't be ****ed helping, customer service is **** and they've ****ed me more than once, it's a laugh when the Chinese copy is superior quality, cheaper, they will respond within hours instead of weeks and you can get it yesterday.

I hate the CCP like the rest of us but Chinese companies, they understand business.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-07-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Old 16-07-2021, 01:39 AM   #220
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
They should not allow them to dock, accuse them of dumping like they did to us..

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #221
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
They should not allow them to dock, accuse them of dumping like they did to us..
The CCP is making sure they have plenty of Semi-Conductors.

The sooner other countries source / make their own “chips” the better
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #222
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Ooh, the green eyed monster shows its ugly head!..

Franco is right, business is business, my brother has dealt with Americans for decades, he said he was glad when he retired, he told me they were arrogant with outsiders ( brother UK ) and slower than watching paint dry!
All his business was in Texas, he had a very hard earned contract to buy all used Hughes Drilling heads and reclaim and resell the industrial diamonds, before that they scrapped em!
He drives a Nissan XTrail, because it was reliable, cheap to run and service.

Cheers Billy.

Last edited by slowsnake; 16-07-2021 at 08:31 AM. Reason: add a bit
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #223
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
That's why they keep getting sales because when everyone says it's too hard, Chinese companies find a way - there's MGs in the dealership, everything else you've got to wait 6 months, no thanks

Culturally Chinese and Taiwanese companies are fantastic to deal with, very responsive and willing to work with you.

On the other hand Ive had nothing but problems dealing with American based companies with their crap products and they respond at glacial pace.

I've been resourcing away from pain in the *** American companies - quality is crap, they can't be ****ed helping, customer service is **** and they've ****ed me more than once, it's a laugh when the Chinese copy is superior quality, cheaper, they will respond within hours instead of weeks and you can get it yesterday.

I hate the CCP like the rest of us but Chinese companies, they understand business.
Got to agree on the American quality of late especially hand tools.. Have had quite a few "Made in the US" stone working tools breaking on me in the last couple of years and seems US companies can't be bothered honouring warranties so its back to German and Scottish stuff for me.

As for Chinese, still waiting to hear back from an enquiry made several weeks ago from the Chinese owned Bundanoon Quarry. Yeah, Nah.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #224
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did a trip up the WA coast last Easter just before the cyclone. Perth to Exmouth and back in 8 days. Europecar gave us an MG ZS. It was very new and we doubled the kilometres on it. My conclusion, reasonable city car but not great for travelling. It had zero Nm of torque, no lumbar support, poor high beam and no centre arm rest. It was economical as hell though. Would I buy one? No.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2021, 02:49 PM   #225
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Ooh, the green eyed monster shows its ugly head!..

Franco is right, business is business, my brother has dealt with Americans for decades, he said he was glad when he retired, he told me they were arrogant with outsiders ( brother UK ) and slower than watching paint dry!
All his business was in Texas, he had a very hard earned contract to buy all used Hughes Drilling heads and reclaim and resell the industrial diamonds, before that they scrapped em!
He drives a Nissan XTrail, because it was reliable, cheap to run and service.

Cheers Billy.
Every time someone mentions Ford or GM and some of the decisions they make in regards to ranging and availability outside of the USA it's representative of cultural issues with their business community and how they (don't) approach opportunities.

American companies will not help in the slightest even where they could easily, though I've had some success with American 'Mom & Pop' type small business who were happy to come to the party but any medium to large companies, forget it, they are all talking themselves up on paper but they're losing market share to Chinese companies all over the place. They're all talk but no substance, where as Chinese companies have been quietly working away in the shadows slowly improving and getting better and better.

It's very rigid and they treat foreign opportunity as a burden that they're doing a big favour to rather than opportunity to get a hold in a foreign market. They're flat out responding to your enquiry and then when they eventually do they don't even answer what you asked, my god we all speak English too as our first language.

Had a bit of success with European companies, Poland and Italy being the stand outs for Europe, the UK is more forthcoming than American companies but still a bit rigid.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-07-2021 at 02:59 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #226
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So after a long time searching my ex just traded her 3 yo civic on a haval Jolion Ultra.
She wanted something slightly higher and easier to get in and out of, and it needed heated leather and sunroof like her old accord.
Knowing she likes to keep cars for 8-10 years, I cautioned her about the DSG trans, in the end, it was the cheapest way to get what she wanted, those features on an established brand were 10-15k more.
They offered 5k MORE than the trade in was worth, madness. The dealer was flat strap on 2 occasions i was there, and they have a waiting list on some colors of the top end models.
Interestingly, the jolion has the 4B4 Mitsubishi 1.5T engine but with a DSG instead of CVT like the Eclipse Cross.
So lets see how this pans out, luckily it was her idea, so it cant come back to bite me if it turns to crap.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 20-08-2021, 11:52 PM   #227
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wife has always liked the Rav 4. Couple of months ago she decided that time was right to get one, we looked at second hand (maybe around 100K - two or three models old - oh and she also likes manuals)
We had looked at a couple GXLs for around 20K but what we ended up with was a 2019 (new shape) GX, 6spd manual with 17K on clock. We're in Adelaide and car was in Kingston, Hobart.
Originally, they wanted 37K but when I told them that a new 2021 was same price, drive away price became just under 32K.

So flew from Adelaide to Hobart, picked it up, spent a week in Launceston with some friends and Spirit of Tasmania back to Melbourne. Drove off Ferry 5.30am next morning and hit Adelaide about 4.00pm that afternoon.

Car is like new and ex Toyota. We've picked up the remainder of fixed servicing and warranty and is everything that she wants - even came with Satnav. I have never purchased new but this one was the closest to it.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2021, 01:08 AM   #228
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sounds like the whole process has caused you to take away sweet and sour memories of your suppliers...
Old 21-08-2021, 01:14 AM   #229
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Relevant and on-topic: how to completely stuff up running an auto company, the collapse of MG Rover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MTw2nREZRM

Did they get the execs drunk and then to sign the company away?
Old 21-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #230
Late braker

The usual recipe that sells these days- low initial price, long warranty, lots of buzz word features (think connectivity)
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 08:37 PM   #231
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The rapid rise of the Chinese MG brand

2021 : 39,025
2020 : 15,253
2019 : Searching.........

Damn drive website isn't as good as caradvice as search function sucks bollocks!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #232
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive is so average.
Caradvice.com.au demise is a real loss.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #233
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Drive is so average.
The Car Advise team have a new website, basically Car Advise renamed.

Most of the staff left Car Advise / Drive and moved over to Car Expert.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/
Mustang GT

Old 07-01-2022, 10:32 PM   #234
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Sounds like the whole process has caused you to take away sweet and sour memories of your suppliers...
Don't talk about sweet and sour, the ****ers at Sunbury KFC keep giving me Aoli with my tenders instead of the sweet and sour I ask for all the time
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 12:20 AM   #235
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeez I wouldn't buy a Chinese car due to principle like GM. They are both have ****ed Australia or trying to

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Drive is so average.
Quote:
The Car Advise team have a new website, basically Car Advise renamed.

Most of the staff left Car Advise / Drive and moved over to Car Expert.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/
If I remember correctly Alborz was a member of Rexnet and copped a bit of ****. Who's laughing now?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 10:31 AM   #236
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes carexpert.com.au is ok but at this stage not a patch on the old caradvice.com.au
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2022, 06:46 PM   #237
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

The MG onslaught continues. Two models in the top 10 and 7th in top 10 brands.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...-bites-134035/

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2022, 07:05 PM   #238
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

MG prices too all rise, Surprise Surprise. Same strategy that Hyundai used. They won't be as popular once the prices rise unless they have a significant improvement in quality.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #239
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
MG prices too all rise, Surprise Surprise. Same strategy that Hyundai used. They won't be as popular once the prices rise unless they have a significant improvement in quality.
Well Hyundai started off making reasonable cars at very low prices and progessed over a few years to make cars that are right up there now with higher prices,but still retain a pretty healthy market share.I presume the Chinese manufacturers are playing exactly same techniques
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2022, 07:53 PM   #240
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Difference being, MG have done it in a fraction of the time of Hyundai!

In terms of price rises putting people off buying them, keep in mind an entry level Hyundai and even Kia now is much, much more than in the past. A base model automatic Kia Rio is now a $21,990 + on roads! So MG still have a decent price advantage.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...rice-and-specs
Mustang GT