Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #151
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
....because there is a dire shortage of the smirk emoticons from the usual suspects who regularly infer they have the inside barrier on Ford secrets.
: My thoughts exactly, maybe those that are panicking have reason...hmm!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #152
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

We'll have to simply do what Ford fans have always done. Wait and see!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #153
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Australia... GAME OVER!!..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #154
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the media should perhaps focus on a certain manufacturer at Altona rather than Geelong.

The fact that Toyota produces a global car here combined with our increasing dollar, lowered import tarriffs and the poor performance of the Middle East export market will place significant pressure on the business case for Toyota to remain a car manufacturer in Australia.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #155
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Carpoint article is a little more "glass half full"

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...-for-now-17922

Despite the low figures, Ford's recently appointed Asia Pacific boss Joe Hinrichs, who has a manufacturing background, says Ford Australia's output of 55,000 cars a year is sustainable and pointed out that Ford Australia turned a profit in the last quarter of 2009.

Ford Australia boss Marin Burela said that the company would not have invested $230 million on engineering and development if it was not here to stay.

He pointed out that the Falcon sedan outsold the Commodore sedan on two individual months in 2009 (October and November) and increased its market share from 26 per cent to 35 per cent year to year.

He said Ford Australia's current output was sustainable "but we believe we will grow from here".

"We have worked very hard in the last 18 months to continue to improve and streamline our manufacturing operations. And have a range of updates coming over the next 18 months that will boost sales and therefore production."

What seems likely is that, beyond 2015, Ford Australia may adopt an as yet unnamed global rear-drive and all-wheel-drive architecture for its large sedan and mid-sized softroader, and then tailor them to suit local tastes.

(Written by Josh Dowling BTW)
So, Ford Australia is increasing market share, will be expanding production by increasing line rate (which has been strongly speculated), have turned a profit, further integrated their engineering within One Ford and invested nearly a billion dollars to go away?

I don't think so.

Mullaly said "Mustang may share a platform with Falcon" Where is the exclamation point?!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #156
ChemicalHorizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I think the media should perhaps focus on a certain manufacturer at Altona rather than Geelong.

The fact that Toyota produces a global car here combined with our increasing dollar, lowered import tarriffs and the poor performance of the Middle East export market will place significant pressure on the business case for Toyota to remain a car manufacturer in Australia.
And the fact the engine plant has not been told its getting teh new 4 banger...at least its not public anyways. New camry cant be too far off either??
ChemicalHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #157
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by callum
Mullaly... left the door ajar for Ford Australia to help develop Ford's US muscle car, the Mustang, which uses the same rear-wheel-drive layout as the Falcon.

"We also have some really good RWDs, like the Mustang. You can imagine another new platform, just like the Falcon, that's going to be RWD for Mustang, so you can imagine driving the One Ford we're going to have every one of those, and so there's no reason why we can't have it in Australia."
Changed the punctuation of the quoted text.

"Another new platform. Just like the Falcon. That is going to be RWD for Mustang. Were going to have every one of those. There is no reason why we can't have it in Australia."

Read, in that manner, the Mustang will get a platform like the Falcon's. Both cars could be offered in Australia.

Also note, that it is possible for Ford Australia to help develop the Mustang.

The reporters/journo's and I use both terms loosely, have their own agenda. They have written it to raise hysteria and increase clicks/sales/viewers.

Retrotech thread
Old 12-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #158
Sprint347
Tickford

They're testing the waters... it won't happen.

If anything, we'll have USA designed chassis/panels and driveline, with assembly done in Australia with unique bumpers/interior tweaks to make it a 'Falcon'.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #159
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
http://www.smh.com.au/business/austr...0112-m2ze.html
Mr Mulally said Ford Australia may help to develop the rear-wheel-drive Mustang platform.
If that is the case, then there is a good chance we could make Mustang AND Falcon here.

The Falcon was down less than 3% sales in an overall market down 8% and a segment down 15-20%. Commodore dropped by 13%.

Falcon is again picking up market share, sales are static as the plant is at capacity.

Ford is making money.

Why are there so many damn negatards?

Retrotech thread
Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #160
lubby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Heard it on the radio just before. If this report is misleading as far as Aust. cars are concerned, and there is still a future for an Aust made large car (Falcon / other RWD), then it is up to Marin Burela to clarify the situation to the Australian public right now. Otherwise potential buyers will not be considering a model with no future, which will definitely affect Falcon sales from now on.

If this report is true and the replacement is the Taurus, well we know what happened the last time they tried that.

I agree///weren't ford talking about produceing a falcon with a four pot not so long ago???
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #161
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576A8002405A6He said the Mustang would continue to be rear-wheel drive, which could see it as the only rear-drive car in the Ford world.

Ford Australia president Marin Burela confirmed that the days of Ford Australia developing its own vehicles for domestic use were over.

“Ford of Australia will never go it alone again,” he said. “Why? Because the dynamics of going it alone doesn’t make business sense.”

“We have the Taurus that we have just introduced in the US market and it would be consistent to bring those two together at some point, we just haven’t made the decision yet,” Mr Kuzak said.

While much has been made of whether Australian customers value rear-wheel drive or would be happy with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, Mr Mulally indicated that the direction Ford takes would be guided by cost.
“I think it will be less a function decision or a design proportion decision as it will be the business decision that we talked about earlier,” he said.
The best RWD platform, by far in the Ford world is the Falcon. It would take the least amount of investment. Therefore. Combining Falcon/Mustang is a more efficient use of capital.

Retrotech thread
Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #162
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Powerstroke F250 here i come, the best american anything ever made

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #163
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
The best RWD platform, by far in the Ford world is the Falcon. It would take the least amount of investment. Therefore. Combining Falcon/Mustang is a more efficient use of capital.
The mustang is one of those apple pie, meatloaf, star spangled jobbies that sells on it's iconic reputation, so there isn't really much incentive for them to give it the FG goodies unless, as you suggest, there is a cost benefit. The FG stuff would need to be relabled as an american innovation too.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #164
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I dont want to start anything here nor have people jump up and down on me like they did when I posted this 6 month's ago, but this is what I posted 6 months ago ,

I know of a certain CEO of one of the major 4 bank's in Aus to which my Partner had a one to one meeting with the other week, and talked exstensivley to him about such topic's and according to him,
He believe's that Australia should not have an auto car industry, it is not viable.

It was in the GM preparing for bankruptcy thread,
now since this information has been a hot topic of today and the future, do people believe that a CEO of a major bank might have been right, I mean I'm sure someone with his calibre would be in a posisition to comment on such a topic, it all comes down to economic's/finance and the bean counter's doesn't it.
Let's see what the future may bring, I think this GFC has hit harder than some here believe, I mean I hear people saying, that they have been hearing topic's like this since they were knee high to a grasshopper, well that might be the case, but let me ask them if they think the GFC of late has had that much of an effect , not like it was in those day's hey, .........
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #165
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

let me see:

-The I4 is comming this year
-The I6 is being tuned to suit Euro IV specs
-A new V8 is comming this year
-The FG barely is into 2 years of Production, Most Generations last for 8-10 years
-The Falcon is leading a sales and profit revival

After all that people can assume that the falcon will be dropped? Who are these Numb-skulls?

Not only that, if the falcon was going to be canned, there would be 1000's of irate workers crying poor...i'ld imagine if the falcon was canned, this forum would have many a production worker confirming it.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #166
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I take Mullally's comments as referring to Global RWD, how the hell some journos missed the hint and went off on a total tangent that Falcon is dead is beyond me.

Ch 10 news this morning had a picture of a Toyota Aurion during the story, saying it was the Falcon. Just goes to show how much the media JUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO CLUE.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #167
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ch 10 news this morning had a picture of a Toyota Aurion during the story, saying it was the Falcon. Just goes to show how much the media JUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO CLUE.

Like the time they called the Hiace a "Toyota Hilux Van".
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #168
Mr X
mustang pilot

Hmmm If you talk long and hard enough about anything -it can be a self fulfilling prophecy.
The media literally reported Chrysler Australia out of business and perhaps the same with Mitsubishi later on.
People won't buy a car from a manufacturer perceived to be in trouble.
The media who report garbage like this should shot.
Its unpatriotic and un Australian
Here in the Falcon we have the absolute best car for local conditions with power,long legs,good economy,comfort,space,strength and awesome towing capacity.
Long may it live.
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #169
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Channel nine should be shot for dramatizing during ad breaks that it was the end of the line for the Falcon, then when they actually had the story they said it might be gone in a couple of years, This is blatant journalism going story hunting just for the sake of a story, and I'm sick of it.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #170
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps if the Falcon had gotten the global V6 rather than have kept the I6, it would have have a better chance at surviving in the OneFord world, plus open up more export markets as there is no way other countries would want to stock parts for the I6 for the low volumes Falcon would sell in.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #171
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I take Mullally's comments as referring to Global RWD, how the hell some journos missed the hint and went off on a total tangent that Falcon is dead is beyond me.
I took it the same way too!

Once again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullaly
"Another new platform. Just like the Falcon. That is going to be RWD for Mustang."
Another new platform. JUST like the Falcon. JUST like the Falcon.

I also repeat,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin Burela
... Burela confirmed that the days of Ford Australia developing its own vehicles for domestic use were over.

Ford of Australia will never go it alone again,”
The first part is what the journo has said. The bolded part is what Burela himself said. He could be saying they won't do it by themselves, but team up with the US.

Retrotech thread
Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #172
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

Pathetic, made worse by the red team taking it as gospel. Incidentally, theyre ALWAYS right on the money with a friggin holden product...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #173
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
let me see:

-The I4 is comming this year
-The I6 is being tuned to suit Euro IV specs
-A new V8 is comming this year
-The FG barely is into 2 years of Production, Most Generations last for 8-10 years
-The Falcon is leading a sales and profit revival

After all that people can assume that the falcon will be dropped? Who are these Numb-skulls?

Not only that, if the falcon was going to be canned, there would be 1000's of irate workers crying poor...i'ld imagine if the falcon was canned, this forum would have many a production worker confirming it.
This is why this report really bugged me. Because, Ford Aus is making money, increasing market share, has great products, has heavily invested in the future and has terrific future plans.

I guess with the recent positive press the media 'numbskulls' had to try to stuff it somehow.

Retrotech thread
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #174
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well this is melting hot news and it seems the country wants a definitive answer from the horses' mouth - yet they are being tight lipped ? testing the water eh hows this for a "test" my actions will be :

1. buy the last AUSSIE RWD straight 6 produced and keep it till the wheels fall off,

2. never ever ever ever consider a front wheel drive turdus a replacement, as it just isn't

3. drive my Falcon and the others I own until Ford go back to a RWD platform here they want to give us the turdus make the flipping thing rear wheel and all wheel drive - we don't want front wheel drive

if everybody in Australia just flatout refuses to buy the turdus at all even fleets and the like and they sell ZERO of them, they will be forced to at the very least change the turdus

and to the ring slammer that said that "australians dont care if a car is rwd or fwd" needs to read this forum - it is pretty clear to me that many many people care - no front wheel drive large car Ford usa can stick it right back in the cavity from which it came and I hope it gives them cramps and constipation.

good luck selling that excrement here ford usa

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #175
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I took it the same way too!

Once again.
Another new platform. JUST like the Falcon. JUST like the Falcon.

I also repeat,
The first part is what the journo has said. The bolded part is what Burela himself said. He could be saying they won't do it by themselves, but team up with the US.
I certainly hope your right. There is certainly alot to be gained with sharing development costs around

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #176
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to Ross Greenwood, the boss of Ford Australia is Alan Mulally..........

Considering Mr Mulally's reputation in the business world and the fact that Mr Greenwood is supposed to be a business reporter, that is a bit of a stupid mistake?

Mr Greenwood then goes on to suggest that imported parts is what will save the Falcon. Um, no. What is happening is a condensing of engineering and R&D costs. Why design 2, 3, or even 4 separate large cars when you can build 1 chassis and many derivatives from that single chassis? Fairly sloppy reporting.......
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #177
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Wouldn't it be better for the Mondeo to fill the role of family car, I read on here from people that have both that the Mondeo is the much better car for normal daily driving. So kill the Falcon and have a lighter more sporty car for rwd enthusiasts. The Falcon (and Commodore) seem to be lost in the middle of nothing at the moment, too big and heavy for a performance car, not effcient enough for a sensible daily. I don't think either would be missed if something better replaced them. I'm interested in seeing what Ford say no after the media have run with this. Or will they say nothing since it's probably helping them soften the blow of what they have wanted to say for a while
IF Falcon was a shorter wheel base smaller 4 door sedan about the size of a 3 series bmw, weighed about 1500kg with the coyote V8, it would be a weapon. Basically a 4 door mustang.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #178
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia is a big country with lots of families, pets etc, the large family car is essential and has become part of the landscape here since the 60's. Even considering that Australians will settle for a FWD Taurus style almost large car in place of the beloved Falcon is an absolute brain fart.. may as well hand Holden the family vehicle monopoly right now. And if these alarmist claims are to be believed, looks like my FG will have to last me a long long time.. Personally I'd like to think we'l still get a large, powerful RWD Ford here in some capacity. Ford Aust. can still badge it as the Falcon and hopefully have a fair bit of input into it's design and specs. I'd be satisfied with that.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #179
HSE2

Our (Tasmania) club president, had a new paper come to his place to take his photo with car for a story they are doing on the announcement the Falcon is dead.

Next door neighbour has just told me that Mulally has been quoted as saying Australia just need to get used to having a global product. We "Ford" know what people want to buy. You might not know what is best for you but we sure do.

Seems vaguely familiar.

Met a FG GT-P owner last Hobart all Ford day. When asked what he thought of the car he basically replied that he wanted one of the last RWD Falcons!
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #180
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Our (Tasmania) club president, had a new paper come to his place to take his photo with car for a story they are doing on the announcement the Falcon is dead.

Next door neighbour has just told me that Mulally has been quoted as saying Australia just need to get used to having a global product. We "Ford" know what people want to buy. You might not know what is best for you but we sure do.

Seems vaguely familiar.

Met a FG GT-P owner last Hobart all Ford day. When asked what he thought of the car he basically replied that he wanted one of the last RWD Falcons!
Oh dear.....anyone remember the AU? If what is said is true it sounds very much what GM's saying used to be "We build it, you just buy it. What's good for GM is good for America."

We all know where that got GM.