Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #151
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Default Re: what is the worst mistake your mechanic done to your car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmc

Isnt it simple enough to test when the shift lever opens or closes the circuit, make it correct then test with the starter live and battery connected when you are in the seat with the brake on?

The loom is under the dash, so it is rather difficult sit in the seat, foot on brake and test a circuit, unless you're a contortionist.

I'm sure, the owner would have given him a dressing down about safe work practices, after you left. This would include removing wires where necessary, to ensure the same thing doesn't happen again.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #152
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I had an old zj fairlane i was rebuilding. Rebuilt the motor myself with help of a mate. Fitted a 600 holley on it that was a bit dodgy and needed fine tuning but still worked. Got car running, sounded good but needed a tune, took it to supposed reputible mechanic. Told him what was done and that it needed a dyno tune badly. Went to work, few hours later got a call from mechanic telling me car caught on fire!!! I asked how and the dumb *** proceeds to tell me was using my car to run errands, the carby leaked, fuel all over the headers and burnt all the hard work i put into it to a crisp.

At the time i was devo and pretty poor so i could not fight it and ended up claiming my insurance to recoup some costs. Found out later the mech was high on dope at the time and a real druggy.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #153
Massi
Starter Motor

We had a "mechanic" change the power steering switch and boot for us. Took just over an hour. After finished the car wouldn't turn full lock left and the horn was beeping whenever it felt like it.

Took it straight back and he forced it full lock causing a very loud SNAP!!
Now we have no functions working on the steering wheel including horn, radio controls and cruise control. I've been back everyday for 1 week and he says they don't have the tool to removed the steering wheel. What a joke!!!
Massi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #154
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brake calipers left loose after 40000k service (wheel beaings repacked).
Worst part is they would have "test driven" the car after the service as recommended.............windows down and radio on, they would not have heard a thing.
Lucky it was I who picked up the car and not the wife. Got out and inspected. Tighten calipers on the side of the road, then proceeded to drive home and contact the dealer expressing my discontent.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #155
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
The loom is under the dash, so it is rather difficult sit in the seat, foot on brake and test a circuit, unless you're a contortionist.

I'm sure, the owner would have given him a dressing down about safe work practices, after you left. This would include removing wires where necessary, to ensure the same thing doesn't happen again.
You must be joking I assume. I was going to suggest that applying the handbrake before you start might be a good idea too but that would leave me open to the "can't reach the handbrake when you have your arms up inside the dash" bit. LOL

I meant, test the circuit while you are under the dash with the car unable to start. Just like I meant disconnect the battery before you start. If you want to live test it involving the starter motor etc, do that when you have your bum in the seat and foot on the brake. Try to get over the nagging feeling that you should be fiddling with wires under the dash when you are starting the car.

Maybe the battery is overkill. Disconnect the starter motor, or the dizzy, or the plugs, whatever is easiest and stops the car from starting up and Christining you...

Hell do something so the car wont start accidentally. I just mean, take some precaution so you can work safely as it pretty likely you are going to be testing if it starts in gear or not since thats the frigging problem you know?

And actually, my other point was that the owner of the shop had evidently had the same thing happen before, and didn't think it was really an issue. I wonder if he even tried to come up with some safer methods for his blokes?

I know its a pain in the *** taking extra time when if you are careful you can get away with it...For my part, I will happily pay a tradie extra to do it safely rather than save a few bucks at his risk.

I cant imagine anyone ever thinking "yeh, pity that guy lost his leg/died/got sick/lost his kid/ etc but at least I saved 100 bucks as it would have taken an extra hour to do it safely"

It is strange though, I found my usual sparky removing asbestos from the back of one of our meters a couple weeks ago. I asked him why the hell he wasnt wearing a mask - he said it took extra time, he didnt have one etc. I told him to go and buy a frigging mask, charge me for the time and the mask. He still didn't do it.
danmc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #156
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmc
You must be joking I assume. I was going to suggest that applying the handbrake before you start might be a good idea too but that would leave me open to the "can't reach the handbrake when you have your arms up inside the dash" bit. LOL

I meant, test the circuit while you are under the dash with the car unable to start. Just like I meant disconnect the battery before you start. If you want to live test it involving the starter motor etc, do that when you have your bum in the seat and foot on the brake. Try to get over the nagging feeling that you should be fiddling with wires under the dash when you are starting the car.

Maybe the battery is overkill. Disconnect the starter motor, or the dizzy, or the plugs, whatever is easiest and stops the car from starting up and Christining you...

Hell do something so the car wont start accidentally. I just mean, take some precaution so you can work safely as it pretty likely you are going to be testing if it starts in gear or not since thats the frigging problem you know?

And actually, my other point was that the owner of the shop had evidently had the same thing happen before, and didn't think it was really an issue. I wonder if he even tried to come up with some safer methods for his blokes?

I know its a pain in the *** taking extra time when if you are careful you can get away with it...For my part, I will happily pay a tradie extra to do it safely rather than save a few bucks at his risk.

I cant imagine anyone ever thinking "yeh, pity that guy lost his leg/died/got sick/lost his kid/ etc but at least I saved 100 bucks as it would have taken an extra hour to do it safely"

It is strange though, I found my usual sparky removing asbestos from the back of one of our meters a couple weeks ago. I asked him why the hell he wasnt wearing a mask - he said it took extra time, he didnt have one etc. I told him to go and buy a frigging mask, charge me for the time and the mask. He still didn't do it.

There are plenty of things you can do to prevent the car accidentally starting in this scenario, if you stop and think about it.....You've mentioned them and there is no disagreement about it from me.

It's an obvious thing to do, AFTER it's happened.....This is why I'm saying, as long as the apprentice LEARNS from his mistakes and re-adjusts his process of elimination, there shouldn't be an issue.

You suggesting to have your bum in a seat and foot on the brake (handbrakes don't hold to well, when a car is under power), whilst testing wiring under a dash is impossible for any normal person.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #157
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to go have a lie down.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #158
RAPID_BA
Banned

Years back i left an xf falcon in a workshop to fit springs all round. When i returned i saw the car with front end on the floor and back end raised up. He asked me what sort of weird spring setup i had given to him. He was thinking "p platers"... I took it to another mechanic who realised He had fitted the rear springs on front and front to rears. He was absolutely scratching his head when i told him.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #159
danmc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
There are plenty of things you can do to prevent the car accidentally starting in this scenario, if you stop and think about it.....You've mentioned them and there is no disagreement about it from me.

It's an obvious thing to do, AFTER it's happened.....This is why I'm saying, as long as the apprentice LEARNS from his mistakes and re-adjusts his process of elimination, there shouldn't be an issue.

You suggesting to have your bum in a seat and foot on the brake (handbrakes don't hold to well, when a car is under power), whilst testing wiring under a dash is impossible for any normal person.
Ok, finished laughing now. Sorry mate but you seem to have misread what I was saying each time. I'm sure you mean well.
Old 18-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #160
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

03 RTV steel tray is the car lol
our mechanic in AYR (a 4wd megastore,not naming names)didnt do the top control arm bolts up when they replaced our ball joints.
also they didnt attach the left side sway bar.
they didnt use any of the nolathane bushes we supplied when they replaced all our springs and shocks etc.
also as i found out today, they had rounded off the bolts holding the brake calipers on on the drivers side as well as rounded off the bleed screw on the rh rear caliper.
looking at the diff,it looks like they have used silicone to put the diff cover back on.

another screw up was from king springs,ordered 1 ton rear leaves for a ba rtv trayback through supercheap,got the springs, had them fitted then a few weeks later we were looking at it thinking something was wrong,turns out the springs we were sent were ones for a tub tray or something like that,definitely not 1 tonnners.the *** end literally sits lower than the front its sagged that much.makes it hard to return them when you dont have the original ones to put back in... the leaves actually look flat, as if theres no curve in them...
Old 18-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #161
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Had my mechanic forget to put in a wheel bearing outer race when he finished changing axles and mini spool over at 2am the night before AFF drag nats. Quickly worked out something was wrong when moving the car forward and had to go back up on hoist and fix. Bound to happen after 15 hours of working on it.

My mechanic is me. lol
Old 18-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #162
Hood-G6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^lol. Nothing like last minute motors.

For sale

ADELAIDE FG OWNERS
Hood-G6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #163
TaraHymen

i just read this thread from start to finish and thought i'd add my bit. as a mechanic for 20+ years i'm only human and not a god so yes beleive it or not i make mistakes, but then who doesnt? difference is i love what i do and have pride in it so i recitfy my problems to the best of my ability.

some of these are real horror stories and make me cringe(some are exaggerated a bit too methinks) and its a shame there a fair few pack of dimwits getting around who think thier **** doesnt stink and think they're worth a million dollars. as a small business owner and employer i've had these idiots work for me which no matter how hard i try they tarnish my name without for a nansecond caring about it.

if you dont trust your mechanic then find another one. you will never be happy with the work. i've had people brings cars in with bits marked in chalk or lipstick to make sure i touch them. ie: spare tyre valve cap to make sure i check the pressure. if i see it i either get on the phone and ask the customer why or i just park the car outside. i could do the best job in the world but these people will NEVER be satisfied so it best they find someone they can trust.

you'd be pretty unlucky to find a mechanic who buggers something up or loosens something else deliberately. we all make mistakes but its how u rectify it which makes the difference. we're not all untrustworthy peices of crap.

lastly, if there are qualified mechanics who work for $20/hr send em my way, i'll take 3 thanks.
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #164
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

I am working on my ex's car today...I wonder if I will end up named in this thread???
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #165
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Snapped a rocker cover bolt, snapped throttle body bolt, lost 3 intake manifold bolts, cross threaded 4 of them.

Didn't replace or inform me. Wasn't until I went for a bit of a car detail did I notice the underside of my bonnet was coated in oil.
Old 28-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #166
red_hotxr6
Banned

What i dont understand is how so many mechanics could mis diagnose the problem that i was having with the cam in my xf, and 2 of these completley stripped my motor down....then the last one that actually found the problem, uses a rattle gun to put my spark plugs in breaking the enamel on every one of them....And how many mechanics couldnt find out why dissy gear was being stripped....it was only here on one of these forums i found out that they made and sold steel ones right here in brisbane....both problems could have been solved quite quickly and saved me a lot of money...
Even right now, another mechanic has just done work on my el,s head and now 3 weeks later, 4 rockers are broken and he has gone on holiday, i am just waiting for the bad news when he gets back...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #167
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

lol, being a boilermaker i like using hammers...back in the early 90's as an apprentice i decided to have my first go at doing brake pads on my EA.
front ones went smoothly, very basic then i got to the back,no body told be the piston screwed in so after the g clamp failed i decided to try knock the piston in with the hammer...didnt end well lol, snapped the calipre
so after that i dotn touch the car after a few drinks and i read the instructions
Old 28-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #168
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraHymen
lastly, if there are qualified mechanics who work for $20/hr send em my way, i'll take 3 thanks.
Stealership mechanics are on that kinda money, what do you pay your guys?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #169
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many years ago me and the old man were at a VW workshop and there was this split oval rear window beetle there that had just been fully restored but had issues with the carby. watched the mechanic change the carby and take it for a test drive, 10 minutes later we see the fire brigade flying past.

Seems he forgot to tighten the hose clamp from the fuel pump and it burnt to the ground, have you ever seen a VW magnesium block catch on fire, it is impressive.

Anyone that knows VW's will know what a split oval window beetle is worth, and this thing was immaculate, he'd spent $15k on paint and this was the mid 90's.

Turbo XD Ute - Project Thread

Last edited by melon466; 28-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #170
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Mechanic forgot to press the dowells into a new billet alloy flywheel when fitting my new clutch, about 250km later the car is stuck in gear with a nothing feeling sort of clutch. (I thought the occasional clutch shudder was me getting used to the new clutch as it was not standard)
Returned to the gearbox place (I used a specialist) where the car sat for 3 days till someone could have a look at what went wrong. Get a phone call to say because the dowells were not fitted the pressure plate bolts some were 1/2 out and the whole assembly had moved, the good part is the clutch and pressure plate are fine...would you like us to machine your old fly wheel and re-fit that sir?
Yes please so I can get the hell out of there

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #171
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8
lol, being a boilermaker i like using hammers...back in the early 90's as an apprentice i decided to have my first go at doing brake pads on my EA.
front ones went smoothly, very basic then i got to the back,no body told be the piston screwed in so after the g clamp failed i decided to try knock the piston in with the hammer...didnt end well lol, snapped the calipre
so after that i dotn touch the car after a few drinks and i read the instructions
I have done EXACTLY that on a Magna. Also a boily I used a 14 pound sledgy and steel wedges before mine broke. When I bought new ones I found out they screwed in too

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #172
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon466
Seems he forgot to tighten the hose clamp from the fuel pump and it burnt to the ground, have you ever seen a VW magnesium block catch on fire, it is impressive.
Heard of exactly the same thing happening to both engines on a twin engine aeroplane, twin engine fire. You can't just pull over when flying over the jungle in PNG...

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #173
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even a good mechanic can make a mistake, but the best mechanics are the ones that own up to their mistake without any argument and make good any damage ASAP.(Bit hard to do though after your car has burnt to the ground)
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #174
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Newest one is on the daily that I drive now. When they did the gearbox, they didn't do the rear main.
Got it done at no charge, but have to love apprentices that don't know what they are doing

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #175
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not car related but motorbike related. I found a nail in my rear tyre one day and told my boss I had to take it over to the workshop ASAP. Drop the bike off and pick it up that night. Riding down hoddle street all of a sudden I hear a whoosh and fishtailed a little, lot complete control of the bike but thankfully managed to stay upright. Find out that instead of replacing the tyre they had just pulled the tyre off and used a piece of glass tape on the inside of the tyre!

Didn't go back there again that's for sure
Old 28-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #176
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
Snapped a rocker cover bolt, snapped throttle body bolt, lost 3 intake manifold bolts, cross threaded 4 of them.

Didn't replace or inform me. Wasn't until I went for a bit of a car detail did I notice the underside of my bonnet was coated in oil.
That's not a mistake, it's incompetence, negligence, and dishonest.

Was he related to the blokes in 2 previous posts who tried to repair their rear brakes with a large hammer?

Last edited by Olbucko; 28-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #177
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko
That's not a mistake, it's incompetence, negligence, and dishonest.

Was he related to the blokes in 2 previous posts who tried to repair their rear brakes with a large hammer?
Cmon mate thats not nice..

We did admit we are boilermakers. And it was a LOOOONG time ago for me.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #178
SXR6
Still a Ford boy... Just.

When I was younger I had a paddock basher, bent it up fairly often lol, took to it with a hammer and fixed it.
After a little bingle with a tree, was trying to fix the car, for the life of me I could not get the bonnet open. Tried everything.. Ended up smashing the grill in, trying to find tools to undo the latch from the inside. Just couldnt do it. Got dad to come and have a look to see if we can figure out why it wont open.

He reaches in the car and pops it.. Laughs at me and walks away. I'd be trying for almost 2 hrs, and didnt even think to pop the bonnet. WTF!! lol.

Now I take my time and make sure everything is done right. I dont trust mechanics. Atleast once a week I'll have a mates car on the driveway that im working on. Since that day, i've never had anything go wrong. lol.

Once they wake up its water boy time though.
SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #179
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraHymen

if you dont trust your mechanic then find another one. you will never be happy with the work. i've had people brings cars in with bits marked in chalk or lipstick to make sure i touch them. ie: spare tyre valve cap to make sure i check the pressure. if i see it i either get on the phone and ask the customer why or i just park the car outside. i could do the best job in the world but these people will NEVER be satisfied so it best they find someone they can trust.

you'd be pretty unlucky to find a mechanic who buggers something up or loosens something else deliberately. we all make mistakes but its how u rectify it which makes the difference. we're not all untrustworthy peices of crap.

I remember once I had once such customer, we did a promotion so they came in from a broucher, the oil filter was marked a few other silly things and the spare had some sort of sealing wax over the valve cap, so I checked it and left a little card along the lines of the spare was down 10lb and you might want to look to see what has leaked in your boot becasue there was some sort of wax substance over the valve cap

she saw the joke and we got her back every 3 months her parrents started coming when she got married her husband came and so on

it seems she was looking for a "good mechanic" when she found one she was very loyal and no more silly "tests" that said I see your point if they are regulars

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #180
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
Cmon mate thats not nice..

We did admit we are boilermakers. And it was a LOOOONG time ago for me.
I'm gonna go with pursuit on this one. It's not a Boilermakers fault all they know to do is hit **** with hammers. :P

My best mate is a boilermaker and I rag him for it all the time. One night, he came home with half of his pant leg missing. Asked him what happened. Moron set himself on fire lol