Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #121
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
well i too learnt something about heat pumps good to know was thinking of going that way but am yet to do research. still getting my head around the cost of solar and which way to go got around $2,500 cash in the budget which will get me a 1.52kw system installed(in country sa .yorke penninsular 2 storey house) but now i am considering going bigger with the rest of the cost interest free average usage is 15kwh per day bill has just jumped to $360 per qtr up from $310 wich is making the budget tuff and i know its only going to go up

yep! interest free is the way to go.....a 3.5 kw system will knock the crap out of your bill..quite good prices now as well

the best thing about interest free solar is that it will be paid off.....electrickery bills just keep rising

you will find it reduces your actual usage as well when your power needs are low the system feeds directly into the house hold reducing the draw from the grid

we used to be around 10 - 15 but now we are regularly under 7.....nothing has changed as far as usage goes but the draw from the grid has been negated by the array a lot of the time

as for the hot water side I'm not sure!!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #122
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
today i got my first power acc that has had the solar meter going for the full 3 month period.

over 91 days
i purchased 422kwh from the network grid at a cost of $122.23 = ($0.2069 kwh)
i exported 210kwh into the grid at a credit of $92.40 = ( $0.44 kwh)
balance to pay = $29.83.

the same 3 month period last year before fitting the solar i used 5.3kwh per day, this period i used 4.6kwh per day . thats what is going through the meter, what i use during the day while the solar is exporting will be on top of that figure as its used before it gets to the meter and is free power. ( i think some states are metered differently) i recon i am using more power now then i was this time last year. so my 2.1 kw sysyem is has almost cancelled out my power bill. still have the option to add more panels to bring it up to a 3.4kw system.

top info and backs up what I'm finding......I'm still waiting for my "first account"

gotta love the idea of these buggers owing us money instead of a damned bill in the mail all the time

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 18-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #123
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy
Yeah being single and not using a lot have put in a 1.5 unit and solar hot water to get rid of gas ans am running around $700 in credit for power and gas bills have dropped from around a $120 to 30 so all good here
yep! gotta love that!......

Old 18-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #124
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
today i got my first power acc that has had the solar meter going for the full 3 month period.

over 91 days
balance to pay = $29.83.

the same 3 month period last year before fitting the solar i used 5.3kwh per day, this period i used 4.6kwh per day . thats what is going through the meter, what i use during the day while the solar is exporting will be on top of that figure as its used before it gets to the meter and is free power. ( i think some states are metered differently) i recon i am using more power now then i was this time last year. so my 2.1 kw sysyem is has almost cancelled out my power bill. still have the option to add more panels to bring it up to a 3.4kw system.
i have just been doing some more checking on my inverter readout and for the same period as my bill was for (14/11/11 - 13/02/12 ) the inverter and panels have
produced = 370 kwh
saved = 211.2 kg CO2

so if i was to add this 370 kwh to the 422kwh imported from the grid = my total energy use of 792 kwh for the 91 days.
without the solar system that 792 kwh would have cost me $163.86 of my energy use plus the service fee of $26.19 which everyone has to pay regardless.
in my calculations last night i left the service fee in the balance to pay.

so the actual cost to me for energy used that i must pay is $3.64
without the solar this would have been $163.86

just another quick calculation and at that rate my system should pay for itself in approx 6.7 years.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250

Last edited by dave351cid; 18-02-2012 at 03:47 PM.
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #125
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I can't go solar, it's hard enough resisting the temptation to go postal!
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #126
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

over 91 days
balance to pay = $29.83.

A couple of Qs 1 What size and brand inverter, Q2 How many panels and their rating. Q3 Who installed it, were u happy with the install and the biggy howmuchizit. Not asking too much am I?
Old 19-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #127
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Anyone know if sungrid panels are any good .
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #128
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

My employer has released this offer. Any thoughts???

In an effort to give employees the opportunity to reduce living expenses,
****** has reached an agreement with solar panel supplier SolarFarmers to provide a discount solar power system. The opportunity is also being made available to all permanent *** employees.
The deal comprises of three package options on purchases made through this offer based on a minimum 50 employees participating in the scheme:

1.5kW starter pack for $1,395

3kW value pack for $3,436

5kW ultimate power pack for $7,995
These prices include full installation.
In addition to the discounted prices above, *** will also be offering a subsidy to employees who take up this offer *** prior to 29th February 2012.
The subsidy provided by *** will be dependent upon both the number of employees who take up the offer and the size of the system that is purchased. Details will be communicated to those employees who participate once confirmed. The subsidy will be provided over a three year period.
If you are interested, we encourage you to look at the product FAQ's on the following pages.
*** makes no performance guarantees about the product or the vendor. Any issues relating to installation or quality of the unit will be a matter between SolarFarmers and the employee.
If you want to participate in this offer you MUST complete the registration forms and return to HR before Wednesday 29th February 2012. Forms and additional information are available from HR.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #129
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96

****** has reached an agreement with solar panel supplier SolarFarmers to provide a discount solar power system. The opportunity is also being made available to all permanent *** employees.
The deal comprises of three package options on purchases made through this offer based on a minimum 50 employees participating in the scheme:

In addition to the discounted prices above, *** will also be offering a subsidy to employees who take up this offer *** prior to 29th February 2012.
The subsidy provided by *** will be dependent upon both the number of employees who take up the offer and the size of the system that is purchased. Details will be communicated to those employees who participate once confirmed. The subsidy will be provided over a three year period.
If you are interested, we encourage you to look at the product FAQ's on the following pages.
*** makes no performance guarantees about the product or the vendor. Any issues relating to installation or quality of the unit will be a matter between SolarFarmers and the employee.
If you want to participate in this offer you MUST complete the registration forms and return to HR before Wednesday 29th February 2012. Forms and additional information are available from HR.
take the 5kw offer...it seems okay....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #130
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

"MNM96" ... that looks like a pretty good offer.
i just did a quick google on "solarfarmers"
and "growatt inverters" and they look like they should be ok.

if your going to do it , go for the biggest one you can afford.
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 20-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #131
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
A couple of Qs 1 What size and brand inverter, Q2 How many panels and their rating. Q3 Who installed it, were u happy with the install and the biggy howmuchizit. Not asking too much am I?
Q1 - the inverter is an "Aurora 3.6kw"

Q2 - the panels are "Solarfun 190w Monocrystalline " units and i have 11 of them fitted. the inverter is capable of carrying 18 of these panels so i can add another 7 later on when i save up some more $$.

Q3 - the system was installed by one of the local sparkys from Bororen who has got the acceditations to be a certified installer and supplier. he mostly works by himself though he had another young fella giving him a hand with my job. they did a very neat install. i have no complaints at all.

Q4 - as it stands now the system cost me $ 5437 .
because he is only a small operator he dosnt give a "pay it off " other like some of the big companies although the actual price was cheaper then the big companies and the products he used seemed better quality. i told him i had $5500 to spend and that was the best system he could do for that price, but when they installed it they made it ready to just add the extra panels later.

`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 20-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #132
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa
Hey mate,

Sungrid panels are quite good IMO, I used to know the guys who own it through SunPower back when I was living in WA.

They're a chinese made panel, although the actual design and testing happens at Murdoch University, they were actually originally built there but moved to China to reduce their manufacturing costs.

If I remember they have a ten year warranty and are untouched by human hand, so if they are a good price they will be a superior panel to any mediocre chinese brand.
Old 20-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #133
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96

I'd be grabbing that 5 kilowatt offer before it's off the table......you'll not regret it

very good of your employer to do this for you!.......grab it quick!

Old 20-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #134
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not as good as some but better than the average chinese brand.....

the output will fall away very quickly after a relatively short period of time, possibly a noticeable difference in generative powers after 10 years to the stage where it may be only half of the quoted output

if you can, have a look at "better" quality.....you will not regret it

as the old saying goes "long after the price is forgotten, the quality endures"..well something along those lines anyway

systems are relatively cheap now so you may find that there is little price difference between "good" panels and cheap panels

Old 20-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #135
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dave351.....neat setup.....the buggers wouldn't install my isolation switch next to my inverter so it is underneath, looks a bit untidy to me

I also have two isolation switches as well as one on the roof next to the array and one on the main switchboard.....whereas you appear to only have one

I wonder why!!!!!

when I get time I will post a shot of my array and switchboard!..

maybe we could all "show a shot of our array's"!!! Hah!

Old 20-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #136
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
Hey mate,

Sungrid panels are quite good IMO, I used to know the guys who own it through SunPower back when I was living in WA.

They're a chinese made panel, although the actual design and testing happens at Murdoch University, they were actually originally built there but moved to China to reduce their manufacturing costs.

If I remember they have a ten year warranty and are untouched by human hand, so if they are a good price they will be a superior panel to any mediocre chinese brand.
yeah after a bit more looking i see they do 2 panels
their A panel Sungrid.
which has a warrantry of max power of not less than 90% after 12years and 85% after 25 years
and power tolerance of -0/+5

and their B panel (which is called suntelligence)
which has a warrantry of max power of not less than 90% after 10 years and 80% after 25 years
and power tolerance of -3+3

so really i take it i would be better going for the their panel A choice

and poppa smurf i thought their panel A was just as good as other stuff out there for power drop etc?
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

10.567sec for the strip
Old 20-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #137
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
dave351.....neat setup.....the buggers wouldn't install my isolation switch next to my inverter so it is underneath, looks a bit untidy to me

I also have two isolation switches as well as one on the roof next to the array and one on the main switchboard.....whereas you appear to only have one

I wonder why!!!!!

when I get time I will post a shot of my array and switchboard!..

maybe we could all "show a shot of our array's"!!! Hah!
Different state regulations.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #138
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah after a bit more looking i see they do 2 panels
their A panel Sungrid.
which has a warrantry of max power of not less than 90% after 12years and 85% after 25 years

and their B panel (which is called suntelligence)
which has a warrantry of max power of not less than 90% after 10 years and 80% after 25 years
and power tolerance of -3+3

so really i take it i would be better going for the their panel A choice

and poppa smurf i thought their panel A was just as good as other stuff out there for power drop etc?
Definitely go for panel A. Seeing the panels up close myself, I can see that their power will not diminish as quickly as those with busbars soldered on by hand, because it is all robotised.

Also what is important when purchasing, is where the company that you are purchasing from is based. Should you have any warranty issues in the future, Sungrid have their head office in Fremantle.
Old 20-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #139
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"and poppa smurf i thought their panel A was just as good as other stuff out there for power drop etc?[/QUOTE]"

mine (R.E.C.) are guaranteed for 25 years of a minimum of 80% capacity,......my neighbour (cheap chinese) has already seen a drop off after 3 years

there are panels coming onto the market all the time and it is hard to keep up as to what will do what but generally the lower down the price scale you go the worse the drop off will be!

Old 20-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #140
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"and poppa smurf i thought their panel A was just as good as other stuff out there for power drop etc?
"

mine (R.E.C.) are guaranteed for 25 years of a minimum of 80% capacity,......my neighbour (cheap chinese) has already seen a drop off after 3 years

there are panels coming onto the market all the time and it is hard to keep up as to what will do what but generally the lower down the price scale you go the worse the drop off will be![/QUOTE]

Our panels are guaranteed 10 years at 90% and 30 years at 80%. My panels also have serial numbers, might make them more theft proof. In saying that I don't know how easy it would be to remove the serial numbers.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #141
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
"

there are panels coming onto the market all the time and it is hard to keep up as to what will do what but generally the lower down the price scale you go the worse the drop off will be!

Our panels are guaranteed 10 years at 90% and 30 years at 80%. My panels also have serial numbers, might make them more theft proof. In saying that I don't know how easy it would be to remove the serial numbers.[/QUOTE]

well that should make them pretty good!.......I'm not sure of the precise time frame mine are guaranteed for but suffice to say they will outlast me!

mine have serial numbers as well.....I only know this because the transport company put the fork lift tunes through one and we had to find the serial number to replace it!

the "theft" proof screws are supposed to be pretty good, the installers didn't like them because they slipped out of the driver bit and had to go perfect first time as they couldn't be backed out for adjustments.....

but like every thing else if they are worth money the tea leaves will find a way!

Old 20-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #142
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

are these prices ok fully installed
1.5kw system sungrid panels (the good ones) with a Macsolar 3kw inverter
quote was $4000
2.0kw panels with the same 3kw inverter $5600
3.0kw panels and same inverter $8000

10.567sec for the strip
Old 20-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #143
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
"and poppa smurf i thought their panel A was just as good as other stuff out there for power drop etc?
"

there are panels coming onto the market all the time and it is hard to keep up as to what will do what but generally the lower down the price scale you go the worse the drop off will be![/quote]

does that mean these sungrid panels have a warrantry of max power of not less than 90% after 12years and 85% after 25 years
are better warranrty than yours?
coz my take on this is if my drop below that 85% for 25 years i can get them replace which is better than your 80% for 25 years

10.567sec for the strip
Old 20-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #144
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
are these prices ok fully installed
1.5kw system sungrid panels (the good ones) with a Macsolar 3kw inverter
quote was $4000
2.0kw panels with the same 3kw inverter $5600
3.0kw panels and same inverter $8000
Ummm... Never heard of Macsolar, but they are a chinese manufactured unit.

The Chinese inverters tend to require a larger voltage to begin exporting power to the grid, so no matter how good the panels may be, a cheap inverter will reduce their performance.

I would ask to upgrade to SMA.
Old 20-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #145
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"

does that mean these sungrid panels have a warrantry of max power of not less than 90% after 12years and 85% after 25 years
are better warranrty than yours?
coz my take on this is if my drop below that 85% for 25 years i can get them replace which is better than your 80% for 25 years[/QUOTE]

without being at home with access to my records I can't say exactly what my guarantee is,

I remember the sales team and the installer stating the 25 year warranty!.....not sure of the percentage versus time factor!

Old 20-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #146
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
Ummm... Never heard of Macsolar, but they are a chinese manufactured unit.

The Chinese inverters tend to require a larger voltage to begin exporting power to the grid, so no matter how good the panels may be, a cheap inverter will reduce their performance.

I would ask to upgrade to SMA.

I'd second this upgrade and ask about the warranty on the panels

Old 20-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #147
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
I'd second this upgrade and ask about the warranty on the panels
what do you mean i have given you the warrantry info on the panels
i also get 10 year instal, frame etc

as for the mcasolar
here is the spec sheet
http://solar2000.com.au/wp-content/u...-inverter1.pdf
yeah cant find much on them ..will ask about the SMA

what size/type would i need for a 3kw system and roughly how much would it be
i take it a sunnyboy 3000TL is what i need but what is the reactive power control one ?? do i need this or not ...
can i hook up more panels to the sunny boy at a later date if i dont have anymore room on my north facing roof space ??

10.567sec for the strip

Last edited by comagutsa; 20-02-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 20-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #148
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what I mean is that some stated warranties, according to a lot of solar website forums, overstate the warranty.....there is a cash difference in some instances when replacement is not forthcoming

if you have the stated warranty in writing then that is fine assuming the company will still be around in the allotted time period, if they are not here then the warranty is not worth two bob

number of panels is governed by individual solar panel output.....

there are many and varied panel outputs but the ones that I have heard of are 190 watt, 220 watt and 250 watt..there are probably more but I don't know of them

look at size, in your case 3 kilowatt......then divide the number of panels by the kilowatt expectancy e.g. 3 kilowatt divided by 220 watt panels = 13.63 panels or 14 panels producing 3.08 kilowatts

as for prices I suggest you do your homework in your area.....I could spruke a dozen quotes to you from here but they wouldn't be worth a handful of cocky poop if you don't live here!

if you wish to expand the system at a later date then purchase a larger inverter NOW!.....upgrades on a standard system are cheaper than outright purchase later on.....once again do your homework

Old 21-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #149
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyone delt with combined solar they use blueline panels & pvi inverters any good ?
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #150
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
anyone delt with combined solar they use blueline panels & pvi inverters any good ?
I got a quote done up by them, they seemed okay but a bit dearer than a lot of the others!

cant hurt to try them!.....I don't know about those panels and inverter sorry, but someone will