Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #121
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vfacts May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
The biggest issue I see with Ford offering such massive discounts of limited edition models is resale value.

When a genuine retail buyer has forked out 40K on a new base XR6, to only then have Ford release a “limited edition” model offering significantly more kit for low 30s drive away prices, then imagine what this is going to do to the resale value of that base XR6. This buyer will be lucky to get low 20s for it a year later.

I don’t personally care for the highish fuel consumption of a car, or the 6 monthly servicing costs … what I care a lot about is losing huge sums of money in one year due to resale costs … and that is exactly what is driving retail buyers away from Falcons.

No matter how good or bad the car is, if it’s gonna almost half in value after one year of ownership then there is no way its ever gonna get my money again. The Falcon is starting to look exactly like that.
i think you`ll find its not just falcons that depreciate, not many cars hold their value these days, its funny people talk about more expensive cars like benz ,beemers holding value a tad better , yet if you go onto a euro forum they complain about the same depreciation on those same cars.
in my opinion the problem is that there are too many good second hand cars on the market, we are just flooded with them, the only way i can see to keep some dollars is not to update so often.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #122
stang65
FPRJET

Agreed, Why would you sell after 1 year anyway, with cars you will always lose money especially in the first 3 years.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #123
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
WA sales results for May, no way reflect the results for the rest of Australia for May 2011.
Then I started thinking, (had a rest and some panadol), and then started thinking again. If you were Holden, and you wanted to load up dealers with "registered " cars to boost sales numbers, you would do in the sales markets that are closest to your manufacturing plant. ie SA, Vic and NSW.

You would avoid sending excess stock (with immediate transport costs of $1000 per car), to the further flung places on the continent.
so holden is possibly up to their old tricks again, buying the no.1 sales mantle? assuming for a minute this is correct, it could work out cheaper than advertising and be a more effective marketing tool. many people confuse 'popular' with 'best' (not just with cars) and so registering dealer cars to put your name at the top of the pile may not be as silly as it sounds.

if they still struggle to sell, it could quickly backfire though. you also dud customers out of some of the new car warranty, as that starts from date of 1st registration. not that it would be a massive chunk of time.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #124
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Stock shortages restrict NZ sales

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578A800839E96

Quote:
Calm before the storm in NZ car industry as Japanese production kicks back in

8 June 2011

By JACQUI MADELIN in NEW ZEALAND

NEW Zealand new vehicle sales flat-lined last month as the after-effects of the Japanese earthquake constricted supply for some distributors, affecting sales rankings as well as numbers.

New passenger car sales fell 1.7 per cent compared with May 2010, to 4535 units, but commercial vehicles rose 12.6 per cent, to 2028, for an overall lift of 2.3 per cent in May sales, to 6563.

NZ’s individual top-selling vehicles in May were commercials, with HiLux on 450 sales followed by Nissan Navara (337), ahead of Suzuki Swift (286), Ford Ranger (208) and Holden Commodore (205).

NZ Motor Industry Association chief executive officer Perry Kerr said stock supply was expected to free up soon.

“Very recent reports indicate the Japanese industry is moving quicker than originally expected, and we are hopeful supply will be back to normal by the fourth quarter of this year,” he said.

GoAuto has learned that’s partly due to vehicle manufacturers, with 1000 staff from each of two companies working at a component supplier to help get it back and running.

Even used vehicle imports have become constricted, with numbers falling 4.9 per cent, to 7230, over May 2010.

Independent Motor Vehicle Dealers Association chief executive David Vinsen told GoAuto that supply constraints had been caused by a number of factors, mostly stemming from reduced car availability in Japan.

He said lease companies were stretching the lease and there seems to be a new air of austerity there, with consumers reluctant to be seen in new vehicles.

“It’s the perfect storm of reduced supply and increased demand so our [used vehicle] buyers find it difficult to get stock.”

Mr Vinsen predicts upward pressure on used-car prices as a result.

That’s not expected in the new vehicle market, in which Toyota retains its lead in May despite its sales dropping 25.6 per cent over May 2010, to 963 for 14.67 per cent share.

Toyota chief executive Alistair Davis expects sales to rise when stock becomes available.

“The market for new vehicles is growing because there’s quite a lot of business being done,” he said. “The export sector is booming and commodity prices are very high, plus there’s infrastructure spend.

“The nature of an export-led bounce-back from a recession and business growth is commercials are growing faster.”

However, passenger car sales are hurting. “Corolla sold about 85 and we wouldn’t have had a lot more in the country,” Mr Davis said.

“We’re stock constrained on a lot of passenger cars, less so commercials by an accident of ordering.”

Mr Davis confirmed Toyota would be back on track earlier than expected.

“The main reason is that is as problems are cleared up, there are more resources to throw at remaining problems,” he said.

“Production was looking like it’d take to mid-November to recover. They’re now talking 90 per cent by mid year. It’s unbelievably impressive the way the Japanese industry is bouncing back from this disaster.”

Ford took second spot despite sales falling 14.8 per cent, to 692.

Ford NZ managing director Trevor Auger said that in May 2010, 143 Territorys were sold, including 88 as rentals.

This year, the run-out model sold 30 for the month. The new model is due this month, alongside the annual boost in commercial sales that follows the New Zealand National Agricultural Fieldays.

Holden sales lifted 8.4 per cent to 674 for third while Nissan sits fourth, up 22.8 per cent on 566 after ships delayed by the Australian wharf strike last month unloaded cars for May sale.

Nissan NZ managing director John Manley said: “From a Nissan perspective the Japanese situation will be rectified quite quickly, but global demand is increasing rapidly, which may make for ongoing supply constraints.”

Hyundai sits in fifth place, dropping 0.2 per cent for 516 sales, while Mazda also lost 0.2 per cent to 512 for sixth, followed by Suzuki up 4.7 per cent for 442.

Mitsubishi sits eighth, up 27.4 per cent on 363 sales, with Volkswagen ninth, up 77.8 per cent on 304.

Volkswagen general manager Dean Sheed said the VW stock shortage was caused largely by a 25 per cent increase in demand prompted by arrival of Amarok and a price realignment.

He predicts that when supply eases, Japanese brands affected would pull out all the stops, leading to good deals.

Kia rounded out the top 10 at 216 sales, up 20 per cent.

NZ top 10 makes May 2011:
Rank Make Sales % Share
1 Toyota 963 14.7
2 Ford 692 10.5
3 Holden 674 10.3
4 Nissan 566 8.6
5 Hyundai 516 7.9
6 Mazda 512 7.8
7 Suzuki 442 6.7
8 Mitsubishi 363 5.5
9 Volkswagen 304 4.6
10 Kia 216 3.3
Old 08-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #125
Supercharged

Ford could put a bigger fuel tank in the Falcon and advertise like Holden does, Falcon now does 1200 km from one tank, the general public don’t even think about the size of the tank or the fact it will cost $150.00 to fill it.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #126
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i think you`ll find its not just falcons that depreciate, not many cars hold their value these days, its funny people talk about more expensive cars like benz ,beemers holding value a tad better , yet if you go onto a euro forum they complain about the same depreciation on those same cars.
in my opinion the problem is that there are too many good second hand cars on the market, we are just flooded with them, the only way i can see to keep some dollars is not to update so often.
Agree.

We bought an IS200 in 2002 for $57k. Value 4 years later was $19K. Got $24k for the trade-in.

Next was a Territory Ghia for $56k. Value 3 years later was approx $25k. Got $26k for the trade-in.

To me the depreciation of a car, although worthy of consideration, is not necessarily something that changes my decision and I don't see much difference between makes.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #127
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
Ford could put a bigger fuel tank in the Falcon and advertise like Holden does, Falcon now does 1200 km from one tank, the general public don’t even think about the size of the tank or the fact it will cost $150.00 to fill it.
actually holden went smaller in fuel tank size..

their about the same now holden/ford, 68/70 respectively..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #128
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

According to the Holden website, the Commodore has a 71 litre petrol tank.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #129
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
According to the Holden website, the Commodore has a 71 litre petrol tank.
And according to this,http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/comm.../vz-specs.html the VZ had a 75 litre tank, meaning they have actually reduced its capacity. So whoever was implying they increased the capacity to give a false impression of fuel economy is clearly talking ****.

Last edited by stevz; 09-06-2011 at 12:58 PM.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #130
burnz
VFII SS UTE

yeah put it arseabout ford 68, holden 70, down from 75litre
Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #131
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I'm fairly certain my 9C1 VT LS1 had an 80L tank.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #132
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I'm fairly certain my 9C1 VT LS1 had an 80L tank.
correct it did..still the VE is smaller.

VN~VS 68l
VT~VZ 75l

9C1 had the optional long range ute fuel tank as standard.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #133
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
And according to this,http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/comm.../vz-specs.html the VZ had a 75 litre tank, meaning they have actually reduced its capacity. So whoever was implying they increased the capacity to give a false impression of fuel economy is clearly talking ****.

what you say is correct (holden didn't increase the tank size to give a false impression), however, nowhere in the advertising is tank size mentioned so unless you know already, or look it up, 900km on a tank seems quite impressive. once you know the tank size, its nothing special. they also quote 'melb to syd on a single tank' and this was verified by some journo's if i remember. according to google maps, city centre to city centre its about 880km. the 900km claim is more a theoretical range.

i used to get 930 odd km from my ef xr6 wagon. many times. its nothing new.

70/900 = 7.7L/100km. i recently went to bris and back from adelaide (5000km round trip), 4 people, full luggage, and my fg xr6 6sp ave 7.9L/100km for the journey.

this is what holden seem very good at. even on a ford forum, they have got us talking about their car. they advertise in such a way that it sticks in your head and to the average person it seems impressive on face value, and it even gets the opposition talking about the brand. they do have a good marketing team.

ford on the other hand..... none of their ads really stick in your head, or cement a little bit of info in your memory. as evidenced by many on here, the fg is every bit as good as the ve in regard to fuel economy, but the general public are oblivious to the fact. maybe, rather than load the ads up with info, they just need to make them a lot simpler and pick out 1 or 2 key points to hammer home. fuel economy would be one. most people see these cars as gas guzzlers still.

*hops off soap box*
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post