The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

It's an old philosophy that a lot of people appear to be having a real problem coming to grips with
Most of those though are probably highly experienced playstation racers who have only ever driven in their lounge room.

Some of the comments in this thread beggar belief...

these Subaru/Toyota engineers obviously have no idea
Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85
rx8 makes do very well with next to no torque and a high rev range.

dont see people complaining if they had one of those lol. id love one, and at least the auto option in the FT86 isnt nerfed like in the rx8.

Ice
For thrills in the hills, in my experience the RX8 has come only second to Porsches.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Seems strange given that the box is derived from the same box that Lexus IS-F uses?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 3rd Car was an AE86 Trueno 1983 easily the most memorable car I ever owned. I remember passing an HSV clubsport through a mountain range in NZ called the Hikua's at 7500RPM to his surprise. these cars are still popular today are are in all the computer games
This is what this car is based on.
It will be extremely popular for years to come
Im too old for one now but would like a drive
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 05-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Just watched that video, the presenter is quite good, but how can you not help but smile during it.

Its hard coming to grips with wanting a Toyota 4 banger!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah but you cant compare the 86 to those cars, different class IMO. If it was a supra then yeah I would agree.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the car looks great, and the interior is functional and seems like it has a nice supportive seat with an excellent driving position ... From the outside the car looks good, it's certainly looking very modern and has all that LED/HID bling (GTS model) ... watching the videos the handling seems great, it does look a bit under tyred and hence easily slides but its nothing that can't be changed with a bit more rear tyre ...

But my biggest disappointment is the engine, I mean I'm not saying that cars need to have Tyre frying performance at every gear but I'm at least expecting some level of reasonable acceleration to match a common car on the road. With the 86 the engine is simply too underdone, taxis will blow it of the lights, midsized V6 family Camry's (Aurions) will leave you for dust, hell even many decent 4wds these days will keep you behind ... sorry but i just can't for the life of me call that a sports car ...

I know this car was built to be enjoyed on a winding road, but unfortunately most of us don't live near a touge track, and driving around the major cities we all mostly see straight roads with lots of traffic around ... drifting is just not part of our daily driving routine ...
Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
69Mach1

Just wondering what Subaru will do with BRZ price? I can't see how they can price it too much higher given it's the same car. Maybe if its got more fruit (bigger wheels, better sound system, etc) they might command a few more dollars, but how much, a few grand tops? It will be intersting to see how they price it as they risk customer simply walking across the road. I suppose Subaru has a slightly more prestigous brand than Toyota but for the same car I am not sure they could use it to command a significant premium. Time will tell....
Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1
Just wondering what Subaru will do with BRZ price? I can't see how they can price it too much higher given it's the same car. Maybe if its got more fruit (bigger wheels, better sound system, etc) they might command a few more dollars, but how much, a few grand tops? It will be intersting to see how they price it as they risk customer simply walking across the road. I suppose Subaru has a slightly more prestigous brand than Toyota but for the same car I am not sure they could use it to command a significant premium. Time will tell....
Agree 100%..very interesting, because to far over and no one will buy it.

I would not care if the BRZ was better equipped, if I wanted gizmo's I wouldn't buy a $30k to start with.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
EFFalcon
Last warning

I think a lot of the power complaints would go away if there was a more powerful variant available.

not everyone wants reasonable power, but some do.
this car seems to be about giving people what they've been asking for... soooooooooooooo
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 05-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
I think a lot of the power complaints would go away if there was a more powerful variant available.

not everyone wants reasonable power, but some do.
this car seems to be about giving people what they've been asking for... soooooooooooooo
The car has not really even been released yet (not here). I think it would be a very very safe bet that at some stage a more powerful version will be available. Still the base engine is what it is, unless its FI I dont think bolt ons are going to make a massive difference.

Like FPV and its V8, you dont come out with an inter-cooled version straight up. Give it a year or two, let the competition catch up and then smack them in the head again with a revision.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

You can compare the BRZ to the Focus ST on price. An optioned Subaru will be line ball with the Focus, which will be almost 2 secs quicker to 100.

I suggest you go to EVOs website, where there's a video of the BRZ up against the Megane: the comments at the end of the test by the driver are very telling...
Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
LukeyST
ST fan

For those upset by this car 'only' having 147kw, think of it this way, it has a power-weight ratio of 120kw/tonne. This is more than the current XR6 (@ 114kw/tonne) which is more than enough to get you from corner to corner on a proper driving road.

Straight line isn't what this car is about, and if you do want straight line AND handling, expect to pay a lot more than $30k (sti, evo, etc.).
Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyST
For those upset by this car 'only' having 147kw, think of it this way, it has a power-weight ratio of 120kw/tonne. This is more than the current XR6 (@ 114kw/tonne) which is more than enough to get you from corner to corner on a proper driving road.

Straight line isn't what this car is about, and if you do want straight line AND handling, expect to pay a lot more than $30k (sti, evo, etc.).
Whats the torque to weight ratio though, thats what makes all the difference. Falcon makes near double the torque and it would be a fair bit quicker as a result, but as you say its not what this car is about. But a supercharger would be a great way to get rid of that torqueless issue.

Apparently the 86 needs 98 RON to make those 147kw too, so run it on 91 or 95 and it would be even slower.

The can keep the price fairly cheap cause basically its a modified RWD Impreza.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Whats the torque to weight ratio though, thats what makes all the difference. Falcon makes near double the torque and it would be a fair bit quicker as a result, but as you say its not what this car is about. But a supercharger would be a great way to get rid of that torqueless issue.

Apparently the 86 needs 98 RON to make those 147kw too, so run it on 91 or 95 and it would be even slower.

The can keep the price fairly cheap cause basically its a modified RWD Impreza.
Really???

whats the torque ratio of a Kenworth without its load? Most Eu spec cars or sporty Japs all require 98...nothing new there.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyST

Got it in one...
Magazines, TV reviews, and online articles always...always...carry on about "power to weight", and compare that power to weight with some other cars power to weight...no mention is ever made of torque. Yes, torque is important...when you have a big heavy car to shift...but smaller cars have never been torque monsters, and especially most of the best smaller sports cars over the years have never been torquers either...
Old 05-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
69Mach1

I can understand the issue with the power/torque on this car but I guess it depends what you are used to. I have a couple of late model Subarus (so yes maybe I am biased), both with the 2.5 N/A boxer. They both have around 125kW and about 220Nm - they are not fast...and I know this but I do have fun, particularly in the 05 Liberty, the thing handles great (for my ability) and I take pleasure in pressuring or staying ahead of more powerful cars when driving through the mountains or twisty sections.

For me the 86/BRZ offers more power, another 20 odd kW, its lighter by a good 200-300kg, has a lower CoG and is cheaper.....so I guess its all about perspective.

For mine, I dont want to compare 86/BRZ to a Megane or Focus because IMO these are all wrong wheel drive and based on a non-performance base donor car. 86/BRZ is designed for performance from the beginning.......and more powerful versions will come....guaranteed.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Subaru Aus last month categorically ruled out turboed versions of the BRZ coming to Aus (maybe don't want to stuff around with the WRX formula? Who knows)

Anyways, regarding hp, EVO states on p71, that it's "197hp feels too little for the money and too little to make the chassis come alive."
Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Do you really buy a car on what someone else thinks?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think all the people complaining about the power should have a look to most models, which come out as a standard base spec with a few goodies built in and then have special models built into them by the factory approved, or owned tuning houses. It's a common development and release strategy during most product life cycles - keep adding bits to a product to string its existence out over 5-10 years.

As far as the 86 is concerned you only need to look at the TRD development of superchargers in the past to imagine what might come... and hope that it does indeed come. Have a look overseas you'll see some amazing little pieces available.

As a side note there aren't too many MX5 or Honda S2000 owners who complained about a lack of power. The market, the mass market, is simply not like us. The majority of people think a Mazda 3 is "zippy" to drive, so an 86 will be more than enough car for them... for what they need, want and can ultimately handle.

I agree that there should be a more powerful version, and I am confident something will pop up in the future.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok guys keep it civil. No one here has driven one yet so no one knows what they are like.

As far as magazine reviews, I seem to remember quite a few here casting aspersions on journos so lets all just wait and see eh?

Oh and I have already booked a test drive in an orange manual GT.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Oh and I have already booked a test drive in an orange manual GT.
Interesting to hear your review.
When's the test drive booked??
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Interesting to hear your review.
When's the test drive booked??
As soon as it arrives which they say is in a few days but sales people tend to "embellish".
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
...Oh and I have already booked a test drive in an orange manual GT.
Sssshhhh you don't want your Z to get nervous. :P
-----------------------------------

More power coming (one day) >
" The Toyota GT 86 (and the Scion FR-S, in the United States) are still months away from dealer showrooms, but Toyota is reportedly well under way with development of a supercharged version.

Not only is a forced-induction model envisioned by the Japanese automaker, but test mules have been built and are currently being evaluated by Toyota Racing Development (TRD).

Autocar explains that Toyota favors supercharging over turbocharging, since it doesn’t impact throttle response the way that an economical, single-turbo system might. Toyota has significant experience with supercharging, as its offered an aftermarket blower kit through TRD for select Toyota models since 1998.

Toyota’s chief engineer, Tetsuo Tada, believes that turbocharging, all-wheel drive and wide tires have made sports cars “boring to drive.” That’s a clear shot across the bow of Subaru, which has extensive experience with both turbocharging and all-wheel drive.

In fact, it’s likely that any faster versions of the Subaru BRZ will rely on turbocharging, not supercharging, for additional power. Subaru has been remarkably tight-lipped about an STI version of its BRZ coupe, but if Toyota is developing a faster GT 86, then it stands to reason that Subaru is, too.

It isn’t yet known if Toyota (and, presumably, Scion) will offer a supercharged GT 86 / FR-S as a showroom model or as an aftermarket (but dealer-installable) TRD kit. Tada won’t say what kind of horsepower the supercharged GT 86s are making, but Toyota has already admitted that the chassis could handle another 50 horsepower without modification. "
source > http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...l-gt-86-report

----------------------------------------
I also saw a video (has since been pulled) of a Jap show (Best Motoring) pitting the FR-Z (Scion version of GT86) , the BRZ and an MX5 on a 3 lap track race.

The MX-5 had a head start and was overtaken on the second lap (it just couldn't keep up). The FR-Z just edged out the BRZ for the win.

source > http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/29/j...twin-ring-mot/

EDIT > I found a copy of the vid >> http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-12...-Toyota-86.htm

Last edited by Chopped; 05-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

People are forgetting too, that the original AE86 only had 88kw's...and that didn't stop it becomeing one of the most popular/respected sporty cars of the 80's.

Its good that cars like this exsist, it all stems from Colin Chapman's way of thinking.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

The MX5 isnt really a hairdressers car, its a midlife crisis car. I cant believe people are saying this looks new, fresh and modern. looks like an old hyundai Scoupe had sex with a celica and mr2 to me. its the 2012 Paseo haha
Old 05-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #27
Poetic Justice

I don't believe the wholesale date is until Friday, flappist. Then it could be a matter of days before getting one. Could be lucky and get one of the first despatched, but it's a lucky draw.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #28
BFYOOT

Not sure if it was Motor or Wheels, but the April edition had a good readup on either this one or the subaru one (may have even been both) with the article asking certain tuning houses what they could do with it, going from basically stock standard right up to a crazy race car version. Was pretty interesting, and showed that it does have some decent possibilities.

Edit: Ok just went and checked, it was Motor April edition, and it featured both the subaru and toyotas, i.e. the left page was, for example, what STI could add to the car, while the right page was what TRD could add. Was a good read.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #29
Poetic Justice

And isn't it on the cover of one of those mags this month or last out-doing a Porsche Boxter around a track?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #30
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Got it in one...
Magazines, TV reviews, and online articles always...always...carry on about "power to weight", and compare that power to weight with some other cars power to weight...no mention is ever made of torque. Yes, torque is important...when you have a big heavy car to shift...but smaller cars have never been torque monsters, and especially most of the best smaller sports cars over the years have never been torquers either...

Torque > Talk

Yes, magazines always bang on about power to weight. Just another reason not to bother reading that ****, together with subjective drivel like this little pearler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 160
This ^^^

Wheels rated it higher than the outgoing Cayman for pure driving experience vs price
It seems a lot of the same people who claim that you can't use big output cars on the street in this day and age when trying to discount the unbelievable stonk of FPVs are the same ones who maintain that you don't need torque when you have revs or that you just need to keep stirring the pot to get the most out of it.

The reality is these days the only real opportunity to give it some herbs is more of a squirt here and there rather than winding it out on a mountain.

This is why torque is king on the street. Torque where you can and do use it is the way to have fun even on a daily commute to work. In the middle of the rev range, that's where we drive most of the time. That's where the fun is. A GT is fun to drive not because of the killerwasps but because it makes 570nm @ 2k revs.

But hey, if it is $30k that really is a small spend for a new car these days and I think the world is big enough for it too
Closed Thread