The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #121
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotty
How did it park with a 12 metre gutter to gutter turning circle :1syellow1

I don't get why people say "the VE will only be a 3L" then the proof is there that the 3.5L Magna V6 owned the 4ltr falcon 6...
Terrible turning circle, let's just say that they should have put a reverse camera in it for those 3-5 point turns.

Where did you hear that the magna owned the falcon though?

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 21-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #122
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Who cares about Magnas anyway, they don't exist anymore and haven't been on sale for what, at least 5 years?

If they were that great they would still be on sale.
Old 21-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #123
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Who cares about Magnas anyway, they don't exist anymore and haven't been on sale for what, at least 5 years?

If they were that great they would still be on sale.
Amen, I'm sick of hearing about the Magna, we are or should I say were, talking about the Holden V8 sales I thought. :
Old 22-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #124
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Well that just shows your level of maturity. Your antagonism is against the forum rules innit? Why did I even bother dignifying your posts by responding, I wonder? :yeees:

fte50,

The Toyota V6 is a good engine with great economy. Heaps of torque but alas too much torque steer being a FWD layout. It's so easy to get wheelspin even on light throttle. IMO, the throttle tune is a little oversensitive meaning it requires a bit too much concentration to drive smoothly in traffic... you virtually have to drive it like your pressing your foot against egg shells.

It's not the smoothest engine around but being a big capacity V6, it's never going to be as smooth as a smaller capacity V6. Your comments regarding bore/stroke design isn't quite right. It's more to do with the laws of physics as smaller engines are always generally smoother than larger engines. Case in point: 2.0L 4 cyl is smoother than a 2.4L 4 cyl engine (which generally needs balance shafts to attenuate the bad harmonics). Similarly, a 60* V6 isn't the smoothest design around but a 2.5L V6 is always going to be smoother than a 3.5L V6 for the similar reasons.

If you still think I'm full of it, have a squiz at the Honda V6 and take note of its undersquare proportions. To use your argument, it's bore/stroke ratio shouldn't exactly lend itself to smoothness but the Honda V6 is definitely a smoother powerplant than the Camry V6. Therefore, your argument regarding the relationship between smoothness and bore/stroke ratio is flawed.

Anyway, it's amusing to read about power wars between the bread 'n' butter sixes when it's the V8s that are the real heavy hitters.

Hey, who took away my rep power? :party3:
Do you mind explaining how the Mitsubishi 380's 3.8 litre was regarded as a far smoother, and in context, bigger, V6??
I'll give you some rep points for the post in Arabic.
Old 22-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #125
HSE2

Would have been even better if there was no english in it at all.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 22-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #126
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Do you mind explaining how the Mitsubishi 380's 3.8 litre was regarded as a far smoother, and in context, bigger, V6??
I'll give you some rep points for the post in Arabic.
Aww shucks Falc'man. Just when I banned myself from this forum (after being accused of trolling despite having my character assassinated by all and sundry...).

Smoothness appears to be a matter of opinion... it seems. You say smooove, however, autospeed think otherwise...

Quote:
The 175kW 3.8 litre engine is a strong and effective performer. It’s not as smooth and quiet as some of the opposition (although it’s clearly better in this regard than the V6 Commodore) and fuel consumption in urban point-and-squirt conditions can be as high as the Commodore and Falcon sixes. However, with this test completed over a long distance and including a substantial amount of freeway driving, we saw an overall average of 10.4 litres/100km – based on previous experience, better than either the Holden or Ford would have achieved in the same conditions.

While the engine is basic in technical specification – there’s no variable inlet manifold, no variable cam timing, not even double overhead cams per cylinder bank – and is based around an old design, that’s really not discernible without opening the bonnet and looking. It’s not as good an engine as the V6 found in the Sonata (or even the hugely improved Falcon 4-litre six) but it’s also not that far behind.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Mitsu...0/article.html
Now cough up those points!
Old 22-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #127
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Aww shucks Falc'man. Just when I banned myself from this forum (after being accused of trolling despite having my character assassinated by all and sundry...).

Smoothness appears to be a matter of opinion... it seems. You say smooove, however, autospeed think otherwise...

Now cough up those points!
I don;t think those rep points will be coming your way anytime soon SSbaby. Falc'man was trying to point out that larger engines are not always rougher, i.e. less smooth then smaller ones. It is about design and build - he was trying to illustrate that a 3.8 (bigger than 3.6 if my maths is right) mitsu engine is smoother than an alloytec. You posted a link that basically proved him right.

Oh and just letting you know, while autospeed is a great website for alot of stuff (car mods etc. ) i don't really take much heed of their car reviews. The writers on there have some funny ideas IMO... then again you quoted a drive.com article earlier so....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 22-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #128
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
I don;t think those rep points will be coming your way anytime soon SSbaby. Falc'man was trying to point out that larger engines are not always rougher, i.e. less smooth then smaller ones. It is about design and build - he was trying to illustrate that a 3.8 (bigger than 3.6 if my maths is right) mitsu engine is smoother than an alloytec. You posted a link that basically proved him right.

Oh and just letting you know, while autospeed is a great website for alot of stuff (car mods etc. ) i don't really take much heed of their car reviews. The writers on there have some funny ideas IMO... then again you quoted a drive.com article earlier so....
Err, you seem to misunderstand the theory of relativity. Yes, let's just say the 3.8L V6 might be a smoother engine than Holden's V6 (if opinions count) but it doesn't support Falc'man's point. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Just like I said, the Honda 3.5 V6 is smoother than the Camry 3.5 V6, however, I don't think increasing the engine capacity to 3.8L will give the engines any more smoothness.

Now, if you compared the Magna 3.5L V6 to the 380 3.8L V6, it would be an apples vs apples comparison. And I would very much doubt the bigger engine would be smoother.

Clear?

Enough from me cause you guys are no doubt correct on all fronts.
Old 22-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #129
Wally
XP Coupe

The OP was about Holden V8 sales and predictably the usual suspects jump in denigrate anything that is not Falcon homebrand, attack anyone who doesn't tow the company line, etc. It's so endemic here, if you arent a card carrying Falcon man you must be a Holden man. Half way through this thread some forum moderator decided to play silly buggers with a 2004 member's reputation count... I mean come on guys this is playground stuff that is cyber bullying.

I wonder if members would be so brave ganging up on individuals if their real names and occupations were transparent to all. If you wouldn't do it in polite company you shouldn't do it in forums, especially with laws being considered to give recourse to victims.
Old 22-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #130
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
The OP was about Holden V8 sales and predictably the usual suspects jump in denigrate anything that is not Falcon homebrand, attack anyone who doesn't tow the company line, etc. It's so endemic here, if you arent a card carrying Falcon man you must be a Holden man. Half way through this thread some forum moderator decided to play silly buggers with a 2004 member's reputation count... I mean come on guys this is playground stuff that is cyber bullying.

I wonder if members would be so brave ganging up on individuals if their real names and occupations were transparent to all. If you wouldn't do it in polite company you shouldn't do it in forums, especially with laws being considered to give recourse to victims.
I drive a holden and Chrysler, so there goes your arguement, with the rest of your post send me a pm or considered it ignored
Old 22-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #131
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Meh

Play time over
Closed Thread