Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #121
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
it was also the players who recieved the extra money, to say they are innocent is just plain silly
While its true that there were playeres which were aware of the under the table dealings, there are still many players which acepted lower money to play!
Unfortunately the inocent ones without knowledge of the goings on recieve the same punishment as the guys who took off the books money!
Old 23-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #122
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Why?

Do you know something the rest of us don't? Can you categorically state that the players knew that the club was in breach of its salary cap?

You can't, as yet the NRL can't so until then they are innocent. Innocent until proven guilty.
get ya hand off it! you know what your paid and how you recieve the money. and if you think players dont talk about contracts and do the math youre kidding yourself

FFS its been obvious for many years that they were over the cap
Old 23-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #123
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it was also the players who recieved the extra money, to say they are innocent is just plain silly
Did every player receive extra money, or was it just a select few?

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #124
Wally
XP Coupe

I see this as a great opportunity for the Vics to give NSW some stick. The Storm can become the great spoilers, basically picking and choosing who they want field a full team against and who they want to rest their best against. They have it in their power to manipulate the ladder now.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #125
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
get ya hand off it! you know what your paid and how you recieve the money. and if you think players dont talk about contracts and do the math youre kidding yourself

FFS its been obvious for many years that they were over the cap
Are you serious?

Player managers take care of all that mate, not the players themselves. It's also apparently quite rare for players to talk amongst themselves about what they're on as it is considered taboo and not the done thing.

No need to get aggressive mate, settle down a bit hey.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #126
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
it doesnt matter, being an NRL fan i see every team they played in the last 4yrs as being cheated out of a fair contest
Old 23-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #127
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Are you serious?

Player managers take care of all that mate, not the players themselves. It's also apparently quite rare for players to talk amongst themselves about what they're on as it is considered taboo and not the done thing.

No need to get aggressive mate, settle down a bit hey.
im not getting agressive, im stating the obvious, they have been over the cap for a long time and they got caught red handed, they deserve what they got
Old 23-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #128
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
im not getting agressive, im stating the obvious, they have been over the cap for a long time and they got caught red handed, they deserve what they got
The CLUB got caught. The CLUB needs to be punished.

Without any evidence of player knowledge the players should be left out of it until such a time that there is evidence to the contrary. This investigation seems to be far from completed, which begs the question why were penalties handed out prior to all information being collected?
Old 23-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #129
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

Without any evidence of player knowledge the players should be left out of it until such a time that there is evidence to the contrary. This investigation seems to be far from completed, which begs the question why were penalties handed out prior to all information being collected?
remember minor and major premierships are team (CLUB) awards, the players still have their Dally M medals, Clive Churchill medals, test and origin caps etc. the players technically havent been punished and they never will be.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #130
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
remember minor and major premierships are team (CLUB) awards, the players still have their Dally M medals, Clive Churchill medals, test and origin caps etc. the players technically havent been punished and they never will be.
Those are all individual awards.

Ask any player past or present, the most important thing is a premiership to them.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #131
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

Ask any player past or present, the most important thing is a premiership to them.
of course theyre individual awards lol, theyre the only ones a player can win, TEAMS WIN PREMIERSHIPS, not players
Old 23-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #132
ch33z1l
Dawn

After the bulldogs were handed down what seemed a harsh penalty at the time, you would think the rest of the NRL teams would be doing the right thing. So in saying that, it's my opinion the punishment that is to be handed down to the Storm is fair and deserved, not only to reflect the action, but to set a precadent for the other clubs, that if you cheat, you will be caught, and the repurcussions will be severe.

Punishing the club is not hurting the game, rather, being unlawful and cheating the regulations is hurting the game.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #133
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
of course theyre individual awards lol, theyre the only ones a player can win, TEAMS WIN PREMIERSHIPS, not players
Yes, the TEAM wins the premiership. The Team is the player group, the club is not.

It is the club that needs to have the book thrown at them, it's not only the fact that they've done it but more so the blatant way that they did it. I mean seriously, two sets of books? FFS.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #134
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Yes, the TEAM wins the premiership. The Team is the player group, the club is not.

It is the club that needs to have the book thrown at them, it's not only the fact that they've done it but more so the blatant way that they did it. I mean seriously, two sets of books? FFS.
thats exactly what happened, the NRL isnt like the AFL, the team is all that matters, i dont know of any NRL fan that refers to their team as a club.

what do you suggest the NRL does differently?
Old 23-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #135
billo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

yer im of the opinion they the players should get some form of penalty
they have been aware from day 1 of the breaches
i mean they have accepted the overpayments
wat does the NRL do
pretent the players wherent aware?
makes me sick tbh
all the best
bil
16" rims(gay 1s)
..this is my 1st ever ford.plans to style a wee bit...
billo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #136
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
thats exactly what happened, the NRL isnt like the AFL, the team is all that matters, i dont know of any NRL fan that refers to their team as a club.

what do you suggest the NRL does differently?
With the way the AFL is it's basically the club is the business side of the entity, the team is the player group and all that has to do with on field stuff.

As for what I think they should do, I honestly can't say as I just don't know but what has been done just doesn't sit right with me.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #137
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billo
wat does the NRL do
makes me sick tbh
all the best
bil
You'd be surprised at how little of their contracts most players would know. That's why they employ player managers.

Is there any investigation into the player managers on this? They must have known something was up.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #138
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by billo
wat does the NRL do
makes me sick tbh
all the best
bil
With them being stripped of 2 premierships, you would think they would have to give up their premiership medals as well?
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #139
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
With the way the AFL is it's basically the club is the business side of the entity, the team is the player group and all that has to do with on field stuff.

As for what I think they should do, I honestly can't say as I just don't know but what has been done just doesn't sit right with me.
thats exactly what i was getting at, we NRL fans dont care about the "club" and honestly we dont care. the "team" cheated so the team should suffer

i feel for the storm fans, and to a degree the honest players. if i played for the storm i dont know if i could be bothered playing the games this year. is it possible for the storm to forfeit? because i wouldnt want to get injured in a pointless game and perhaps hurt my future earnings
Old 23-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #140
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
With them being stripped of 2 premierships, you would think they would have to give up their premiership medals as well?
cant see why not, but now i wonder how many go missing before the league comes to pick them up. i can see it now "mine got stolen" lol
Old 23-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #141
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

To the loyal and passionate Storm fans, my sympathy.

Some interesting side notes from this debacle:

1. It says something about the management of the team that in these tough economic times when most clubs in any sporting code are struggling for enough money to pay the bills that they can find this much extra.

2. This is something of a precedent in the sporting world. There have been clubs stripped of Championships before but either at the amateur level or for things like the Italian soccer match fixing scandals of 1926/7 and 2004/05 and Olympic Marseille in 1993. Most salary cap breaches (and they are commonplace enough) have only resulted in fines or loss of points.

3. As noted above, the contract negotiations for most players are done by their managers and "creative" salary packaging has long been a part of most top level professional sport. The history of pro sport has been littered with tax avoidance issues globally but it's a part of what happens when the sums of money get to the level pro sports players are at. Given the actual contracts usually contain confidentiality clauses it is probable that the players as a group were unaware of the salary cap breach.

4. This will cause substantial damage to the sport (and this country) in general. It has already received major global media coverage and the editorial comment has been mostly harsh.

It's a sad day for spolovers.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #142
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
thats exactly what i was getting at, we NRL fans dont care about the "club" and honestly we dont care. the "team" cheated so the team should suffer

i feel for the storm fans, and to a degree the honest players. if i played for the storm i dont know if i could be bothered playing the games this year. is it possible for the storm to forfeit? because i wouldnt want to get injured in a pointless game and perhaps hurt my future earnings
Maybe it's time the NRL started doing things the same way as the AFL. The sport has become too big for clubs to just be clubs, they are multi million dollar businesses and need to be run as such.

Makes you wonder what the point of not just kicking them out for the rest of the season though doesn't it. I mean why would they bother trying to win if even if they win it isn't a win?

Kind of upsets the entire competition and also leaves whoever wins the 2010 Premiership with the question of whether they actually were the best.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #143
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Maybe it's time the NRL started doing things the same way as the AFL. The sport has become too big for clubs to just be clubs, they are multi million dollar businesses and need to be run as such.

Makes you wonder what the point of not just kicking them out for the rest of the season though doesn't it. I mean why would they bother trying to win if even if they win it isn't a win?

Kind of upsets the entire competition and also leaves whoever wins the 2010 Premiership with the question of whether they actually were the best.
i agree with you about everything, and i think the Melbourne Storm will look at legal avenues to fight the punishment or get out of playing the games.

remember when players get injured they have to put someone else into first grade which means more money counting against the cap, but with no chance of winning the game. so i dont see a point in playing the games

EDIT; the business model we should all be following is the NFL, all football related revenue is shared EVENLY BETWEEN THE TEAMS, all contracts are public etc. there is little or no team related scandal in NFL, as we know the players can sometimes have off fieild issues but never the team.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #144
TomXr6
Starter Motor

Probably a silly question and i don't know if anyone else has raised this, but could there be any repercussions for those who placed bets on storm for the wooden spoon?
Old 23-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #145
exdubbleya

I wonder how many players got tattoo's of their premiership wins? You can take back a trophy, ring, money etc - little harder with ink.
exdubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #146
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Still been investigated I guess, but if it's proved to be a select few you can bet the "Team" spirit will be flushed down the toilet....

I for one do not believe for a moment that the players involved new nothing of the extra $$$ sent there way, the whole idea of breaching the salary cap in the first place is to buy/keep players at the club, to say the players knew nothing is a tad naive I think....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #147
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgs
Probably a silly question and i don't know if anyone else has raised this, but could there be any repercussions for those who placed bets on storm for the wooden spoon?
From what i read in the paper this morning, the tab will be honouring the wagers that were in before they suspended betting!
Good on the guys who got some of their own back from the tab! :monkes:
Amazing that the tab doesnt have better intel with the amount of money they have in the pot!!!
Old 23-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #148
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdubbleya
I wonder how many players got tattoo's of their premiership wins? You can take back a trophy, ring, money etc - little harder with ink.
After the plastic surgens anounced a downturn in turnover in the recent years, they will be happy for the extra buisness!!!! :
Wow, 20 members viewing this thread at the same time!
Is this some kind of record???

Last edited by itchy brother; 23-04-2010 at 12:10 PM.
itchy brother is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #149
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing more our northern brothers would like than to see us fold or kicked out of the league is there? Well i hope Storm band together and go on to morally win this years minor premiership. Until it has been proven any players ultimately knew or conspired to defraud the system then you should keep your nasty comments confined to the people we do know were involved in the coverup.
I suspect there may be a few other teams out there taking stock as Storm are not likely to be Robinson Crusoe where this is concerned.
Cheers
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #150
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

I'ts possible that a few of the major sponsors could have been involved as well - giving non cash benefits to playesr under the table
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post