Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #121
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Re: Australia’s First F-35 on the Go

Yeah, China doesn't have enough land.
Old 30-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #122
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look, let's get back to basics. The basic is the $ or other iterations of the same.
For China to invade Australia would cost? More than what it is worth on the stock exchange. They get our ore for a song anyway.

While our Allies appear to be on the back foot, now might be the time for Australia to implement some sort of National Service. Hell, it doesn't have to be the full bottle, even a Dads Army kinda thing would do. Just a few months military training, boys and girls (and mums and dads) would suddenly turn Australia into a fortress. If 50% of our population knows how to fire a weapon and take orders, only a thermo nuclear attack would decide the game.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #123
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Just a few months military training, boys and girls (and mums and dads) would suddenly turn Australia into a fortress.
Yeah, that sounds way more effective than F-35s.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #124
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
But it's insurance that's worthless.

Let's speculate on worse case scenario. Say China and North Korea decide they want to go halves in Australia tomorrow? In a few days they could have 100's of 1000's of troops here, aircraft carriers, warships etc. Aside from total all out nuclear war that would kill millions of innocent people (which they couldn't seriously take as an option) or sending the majority of their army (which they WON'T take as an option) here how could the US stop them? Or any allies? We sure as hell couldn't. Best we can do is keep up relationships with anyone we see as a potential threat through other means as well as military support, that was just an example the US could easily do it too if they wanted too.
You’re taking the ****, right?

Australia is a bloody great island, many thousands of miles from the protagonists you suggest. Hence why it makes sense to be friends with the bloke who has the most powerful navy in the world.

They wouldn’t be able to land a cracker, the US Navy would cut them to pieces.

Chinese aircraft carriers? Bwahahaha. After we sold them the Melbourne for scrap, they kept it and studied it so they learn how to make one.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #125
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
While our Allies appear to be on the back foot, now might be the time for Australia to implement some sort of National Service. Hell, it doesn't have to be the full bottle, even a Dads Army kinda thing would do. Just a few months military training, boys and girls (and mums and dads) would suddenly turn Australia into a fortress. If 50% of our population knows how to fire a weapon and take orders, only a thermo nuclear attack would decide the game.
Hmm, just check with the Greenwich Observatory, there’s been no warping of the space-time continuum. It’s definitely 2013, not 1813.

But just for lols, what are you suggesting we arm this Dad’s army with? Muskets & Bayonets, or should we just go with pointy sticks?

In a conflict with anyone more powerful than Fiji, the LAST thing Australia can do is fight a protracted land-war.
Even in the unlikely event of a full-scale invasion, by say, Indonesia, our strategy would be one of containment & harassment, whilst cutting their supply lines and killing most of them before they even stepped ashore.
Plus at the same time destroying their ports, airfields, and refineries, and dropping the SAS in to say “hello.”
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #126
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Simply redraw the Brisbane Line.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #127
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Cut em a deal, they can have QLD, and take Campbell Newman with them.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #128
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I like Madayas idea, I myself think every one should do compulsory national service for a couple of years........... but at the very least everyone capable should be at least be able to load and fire a gun.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #129
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
But just for lols, what are you suggesting we arm this Dad’s army with? Muskets & Bayonets, or should we just go with pointy sticks?
Try the weapon stocks that are currently held in store in Canberra (5000+ Austeyr, Barrett .50 Calibre Rifles plus what is also in store in numerous military facilities for both perms and ressies. The production capacity of Lithgow Thales facility would provide F90 rifles very quickly and also manufactures mortars and mortar rounds very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Plus at the same time destroying their ports, airfields, and refineries, and dropping the SAS in to say “hello.”
SAS first role in the invasion scenario is to set up and train resistance forces, conduct intelligence missions and harras and attack the enemy on home ground.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #130
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Wolverines!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #131
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Personally I like Madayas idea, I myself think every one should do compulsory national service for a couple of years........... but at the very least everyone capable should be at least be able to load and fire a gun.
Thanks for the nod mate, but I don't want to sound hysterical. Personally, I do not foresee a military invasion of Australia. More modern methods, subterfuge, computer hacking, propaganda and the tried and true brown paper bag would be far more effective and a lot cheaper.

Loading and firing a gun is simple, took me seconds to learn. Operating complex weapons or equipment takes a bit longer. Following orders (=discipline) is the key. I don't think a couple of years national service is essential. Lets face it, most people do not fit the bill and it would be a huge drain on our budget and for the most time, the guys and gals would be sitting around doing not much at all. Just thoughts.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #132
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

making bits here

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-0...282?section=sa
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #133
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Suddenly the F-35's capabilities increase.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #134
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeanup, just amused as its just around the corner from me
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #135
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Defining capable is a whole new story........ and will open a whole lot of issues.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #136
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is very very interesting and shows whats in store for future conflicts, highly recommend anyone interested in this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNRMO70Hw0s
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #137
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you do about those SAM's? Your enemy has them scattered everywhere, what a pain in the *** they would be, mobility means they can be moved anywhere, and the range they now have is scary on it's own.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
Old 23-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #138
rdmr

Still don't know why oz is buying f35s. Single engine fighters were frowned upon after the raaf had the mirage. F22s make more sense. Maybe planners are looking at stol 'b' models for the future mini ran carriers.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #139
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmr View Post
Still don't know why oz is buying f35s. Single engine fighters were frowned upon after the raaf had the mirage. F22s make more sense. Maybe planners are looking at stol 'b' models for the future mini ran carriers.
so tell me how bad are those harriers, their all single engine.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #140
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Jet turbine engines are significantly more reliable these days so cannot be compared to years ago. Twin engines virtually doubles the maintenance costs.

As mentioned many times, F22s were out of the question, not being available for sale outside the US.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #141
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

But can they fly as good as the Russians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK7u...vJ17iQ&index=2
Old 23-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #142
rdmr

I would have thought if Australia had requested f22s we would be granted purchase of them.
As for harriers, what foreign operators do with their inventory is up to them. One of the reasons we bought hornets was because of our experience with single engined mirages.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #143
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmr View Post
I would have thought if Australia had requested f22s we would be granted purchase of them.
As for harriers, what foreign operators do with their inventory is up to them. One of the reasons we bought hornets was because of our experience with single engined mirages.
the Australian built french mirage's are two engine rolls Royce avon 302 jet engine.
that are still in active service in the Pakistan military..
Old 23-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #144
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
the Australian built french mirage's are two engine rolls Royce avon 302 jet engine.
that are still in active service in the Pakistan military..
Australian Mirage IIIO's were powered by a single SNECMA Atar 9C engine. Original prototype was powered by a Avon Mk67 engine but never entered RAAF service.

As mentioned, reliability of these cannot be compared to current jet turbine engines.
Old 23-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #145
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Australian Mirage IIIO's were powered by a single SNECMA Atar 9C engine. Original prototype was powered by a Avon Mk67 engine but never entered RAAF service.

As mentioned, reliability of these cannot be compared to current jet turbine engines.
atar engine were only test same for the 67 avon, never went into production.

twin 302's in Y configuration with shared afterburner were used.
and in full service, sold around 1990 to the pakkies. that again are still fully operational.
trust me I worked on these puppie's

now all RAAF are using pratt & whittney.
avionics will still be done by GRM..
Old 23-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #146
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
atar engine were only test same for the 67 avon, never went into production.

twin 302's in Y configuration with shared afterburner were used.
and in full service, sold around 1990 to the pakkies. that again are still fully operational.
trust me I worked on these puppie's

now all RAAF are using pratt & whittney.
avionics will still be done by GRM..
I was just going by my trusty 1967 edition of Observers book of Military aircraft, and this link confirms.
Old 23-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #147
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I was just going by my trusty 1967 edition of Observers book of Military aircraft, and this link confirms.
I didn't go all threw it but it gave me the impression that we were buying from the French,
when we were building in fishermens bend under licence.
Old 23-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #148
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Joint Strike Fighters: Government to spend $12 billion on 58 more next-generation F-35sUpdated 2 hours 34 minutes ago

Photo: Prime Minister Tony Abbott says the JSF will provide a "major boost" to the Australian Defence Force. (AAP: Alan Porritt) Map: Australia
Australia will buy 58 more F-35 Joint Strike Fighters (JSF) at a cost of more than $12 billion after the Federal Government gave the go ahead for the purchase yesterday.

The extra aircraft will bring Australia's total Joint Strike Fighter force to 72 aircraft, with the first of them to enter service in 2020.

The $12.4 billion price tag makes the Joint Strike Fighters Australia's most expensive Defence asset.

The Government says it will also consider the option of buying another squadron of the next-generation fighter jets to eventually replace the RAAF'S F/A-18 Super Hornets.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who formally announced the purchase today, says the JSF is the most advanced fighter in production anywhere in the world and will make a vital contribution to Australia's national security.

"Together with the Super Hornet and Growler electronic warfare aircraft, the F-35 aircraft will ensure Australia maintains a regional air combat edge," he said before the announcement.

"The F-35 will provide a major boost to the ADF's intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities.

"The acquisition of F-35 aircraft will bring significant economic benefits to Australia, including regional areas and local defence industry."

First fighters to enter service in 2020, with new air bases in NSW, NT
The first Joint Strike Fighters will arrive in Australia in 2018 and enter service in 2020.

As part of the announcement, more than $1.6 billion will be spent on new facilities at air bases in Williamtown in New South Wales and Tindal in the Northern Territory.

The F-35 has been billed as the smartest fighter jet on the planet, designed to strike enemies in the air and on the ground without being detected by radar.

But the plane's development has been beset by delays and cost overruns.

Audio: Listen to Lisa Millar's report for AM (AM)
The head of the JSF program, US Air Force Lieutenant General Chris Bogdan, visited Australia earlier this year and declared the reliability and maintainability of the aircraft was not yet "good enough".

In late March the US House Armed Services Committee was told the planes were not affordable to use at the moment.

The committee heard software problems could delay the fighter's production, and foreign buyer delays could see countries like Australia paying millions of dollars more per aircraft.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-2...ghters/5405236
Old 23-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #149
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Should just buy a bunch of Malaysian Air Boeings if they want the ability to not be seen by radar.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #150
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Should just buy a bunch of Malaysian Air Boeings if they want the ability to not be seen by radar.
Hahaha! I like this, but come on give them a go, these will turn out to be fantastic once they iron out all the bugs.