Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2022, 01:14 PM   #1201
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Something I don't like about that big screen is how laggy the interface is
that didn't happen on the car I just drove. was vey smooth
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #1202
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
That’s the first thing every grey nomad wants turned off.
I feel like sometimes this is due to lack of understanding how it works and its just easier for them to keep doing things the old way.
Old 27-07-2022, 01:58 PM   #1203
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
I would imagine the lack of physical cable improves nvh as well?
Yep, it would be one less noise pathway through the firewall. And a reduction in vibration through the cable to the pedal.

One downside is pedal feel. You just don't have that feedback through the pedal, and it's sometimes hard to figure out how much throttle you are actually giving it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #1204
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
that didn't happen on the car I just drove. was vey smooth
Maybe when it gets laggy, disconnect car battery then reconnect again to refresh memory
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #1205
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Maybe when it gets laggy, disconnect car battery then reconnect again to refresh memory
Over the air updates will mean quicker and easier bug fixes.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 02:03 PM   #1206
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Over the air updates will mean quicker and easier bug fixes.
Kinda reminds me of video games, back in the day they released something that was complete, you went to the shop, bought the disc (or cartridge if you're my vintage or older) and played it when you got home.

These days they release it unfinished, then it has a 60GB 'day zero' patch you need to download before you can even play it chock full of bug fixes and other last minute dramas they discovered, AFTER you've just downloaded the 200GB game from the Playstation Store online
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #1207
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Yep you can tweak the throttle response with all these little electronic gizmos (I've got one on my ute you can have them as responsive as you want) but what they can't speed up is throttle off and it's a real PIA if you like manuals
That really comes down to specific vehicles. It’s not that much of a broad issue. My old WT Fiesta had real bad rev hang on gear change, WP fiesta no issue at all, my current Focus ST matches the next gear change rpm’s for you. It’s pretty good.

Many cars come with some sort of sports mode too, which sharpens everything up, no need to remap anything.

But I’m saying all this, ranger is auto only, so it’s a non issue really.
Old 27-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #1208
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Kinda reminds me of video games, back in the day they released something that was complete, you went to the shop, bought the disc (or cartridge if you're my vintage or older) and played it when you got home.

These days they release it unfinished, then it has a 60GB 'day zero' patch you need to download before you can even play it chock full of bug fixes and other last minute dramas they discovered, AFTER you've just downloaded the 200GB game from the Playstation Store online
Off topic I know, but the day I bought my Xbox Series X and Forza Horizon 5, I got it home around 4.30, set it all up, turned it on, and of course it needed a system update. That took a couple of hours to download and install. Then it needed a controller update (never heard of that before), that took the best part of an hour, then I installed the game, and straight away there was an update for that. Microsoft’s servers must have been having a slow day as my internet was running at 350mbps, by the time all this was done it was 10.55. I got one race in before bed.

To make it slightly more on topic, first car I bought was a Ranger Raptor and chucked a V8 in it
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2022, 05:55 PM   #1209
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

I really like all those features it has but I don't like the implementation - kypez how does the Tesla implementation of its infotainment screen operate?
My Gen 1 screen, called MCU1 was average to bad. They had a chip in them that only allowed X number of computing before they packed up. They recalled them and there were no issues after that.

But, Tesla then offered customers the ability to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2000. Think of it as Ford allowing Sync 2 cars to get Sync 3. MCU2 is much faster, smoother pinch and zoom, 4G LTE equipped vs the 3G of MCU1. Also has More games, Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 06:03 PM   #1210
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Teslas get updates every month, sometimes more often. It's good and bad. As we all know, software can be buggy and when you update, it might fix some issues and introduce others. Last month, I lost the ability to use the steering wheel controls up scroll through my FM presets. They fixed it with a patch but there were a few days when it didn't work. Another strange one was that the passenger side seat heater would turn on when you put the car in drive. That one took a lot longer for them to find the bug in the code than it should've.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 06:30 PM   #1211
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes you can, you do it through throttle mapping of the ECU rather than trying to use an external box to intercept the signal and modify it.

If you get a car remapped you can control all of these things, you can have it just like a DBC setup where what you do with the pedal is what it does at the throttle body with all the benefits that DBW brings.

The issues you're talking about is how the manufacturer wants the car to behave, the factory implementation of the DBW setup on the WZ Fiesta ST is mint, it's a manual car and the throttle response is crisp both on and off the throttle and that's a factory setup.

It's all modifiable through a remap if you want to change how the throttle behaves, the little external box is a band-aid slap on.
If you want your car tuned then there's warranty issues,....nup cable for me

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #1212
prydey
Rob

Caravan show here in Adelaide and a local Ford dealer had a stand there. I was there today and took the opportunity to have a sit in the new ranger.

It's a substantial step up in size from a territory. I'm 6'2 and getting in and out without using the sidestep was a bit awkward. Using the step seemed overkill though. Not sure if sidesteps are optional but it's probably a reason they weren't very well liked on the Territory. Bang your calves on them getting in and out. Seemed pretty comfy sitting in. Big bonnet out front. The thing that stuck out the most was rear seat room. I've been in the rear of a PX ranger and was impressed at how well I fitted, with head room etc. Well, not sure what has changed given the car is still the same T6 platform I believe, but there was zero head room in the new ranger. My head was literally touching the roof. Leg room was a bit tight as well, esp if there is a tall person up front. That was a bit of a surprise for me. Otherwise it's a pretty impressive car.
Old 30-07-2022, 05:30 PM   #1213
nibble

Finally got to sit in the new Wildtrak today. Main criticisms for me:-
- Finish inside is a little cheap. Plastics and buttons etc. should be better at that price point.

- Rear leg room is a bit tight and rear seat a little too upright for my liking.

Overall they look good and better in the metal.

The major letdown is the availability. Dealer reckons 18 months wait on Raptor FFS !!!
nibble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2022, 05:32 PM   #1214
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibble View Post
The major letdown is the availability. Dealer reckons 18 months wait on Raptor FFS !!!
Not much they can do. It's an industry problem affecting all players.
Old 30-07-2022, 05:44 PM   #1215
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Double Post
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2022, 05:45 PM   #1216
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Interesting to see a few thinking the rear seat room was a bit tight.

After putting the front seats into a comfortable position for myself (I’m 6’2 aswell) I couldn’t help but feel the room in the back looked a bit small for the size of the overall vehicle, once the little man’s seat is in there I felt he would have less room than in our SZ Territory with the middle row pushed into the rearward position.

Waiting for the dealer to get a Sport model in to have a look at the inside, the Wildtrak is very nice inside, but once we tick the canopy option box and the touring pack, the sport is a pack of Doritos short of 80K on the road.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #1217
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Took th Wife over to the Ford display at the Caravan and camping show today so she could see it in the flesh.
They had a PX3 single cab chassis sitting with 3 new Gen Rangers in Sport trim.
First thing I noticed having seen them side by side on flat ground was the different roof profile between PX and this one.
The PX noticably taller and doesnt slope away as the new model does, probably explains the lack of rear headroom that Rob mentioned.
I sat in the back and to be honest at 6'3" I still had a couple of inches of headroom but it definitely feels tighter than our PX2.
I think the way the rear seat base squab protrudes forward over the rear footwell on both side seats is the reason for the tight legroom too.
Sat in the front and it feels as though the drivers seat has been moved inboards slightly, combined with the protruding side steps means you've either got to climb up on the step and duck to get in or lean across at 45* to bypass the step which you end up hitting your calves on as Rob said.
Side steps on PX are tucked in and protrude no further than the wheels on our XLT, on the new model they are well outside that line.

The funniest part was when the salesman asked my Wife if she liked it, she said its ok, he said would you like a brochure and she said no, I wouldnt change the PX for it, he didnt know what to say.

I believe it'll sell initially due to the V6 which would explain why Dealerships have plenty of examples of BiTurbo's on display whilst I'm yet to see one on the road during my 1500km per week on the road for work but I think once the novelty of the V6 wears off and living with it day to day takes over around the same time the oppo gets a V6 to market, numbers will decline.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2022, 07:57 PM   #1218
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Be curious to see what the other Thailand Specials brigade comes out with to counter - its always Ford setting the bar in this game since the PX Ranger came onto the scene a decade ago, all the other clowns put no effort into their vehicles, they're very much 'this will do'.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2022, 07:59 PM   #1219
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some details on deliveries/volumes into Oz
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...and-raptor-the
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2022, 08:16 PM   #1220
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Be curious to see what the other Thailand Specials brigade comes out with to counter - its always Ford setting the bar in this game since the PX Ranger came onto the scene a decade ago, all the other clowns put no effort into their vehicles, they're very much 'this will do'.
Why would you when they sell.

They didnt do anything radical to counter PX so it'll probably be Toyota adding the 6 to level the playing field while the rest contend for 4cyl scraps.
Old 30-07-2022, 09:56 PM   #1221
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Sat in the front and it feels as though the drivers seat has been moved inboards slightly, combined with the protruding side steps means you've either got to climb up on the step and duck to get in or lean across at 45* to bypass the step which you end up hitting your calves on as Rob said.
Side steps on PX are tucked in and protrude no further than the wheels on our XLT, on the new model they are well outside that line.
Glad it wasn't just me that find entry and exit a bit awkward. I'm sure I'd get used to it, and if I could afford one, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Just something that stuck out as a first impression thing.

Getting in and out of the old Everest they had there was easier. Hopefully the new Everest doesn't suffer the same thing but probably will.
Old 30-07-2022, 10:12 PM   #1222
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As soon as I opened the rear door the first thing I noticed was how little leg room there appeared to be. It’s been a while since I owned a Ranger, but I feel like mine had more rear leg room. Who knows maybe I’m just misremembering.

How ever it might be a bit tight until the rear facing baby seat can be turned around.
Well until the next one is installed.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2022, 01:28 PM   #1223
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
As soon as I opened the rear door the first thing I noticed was how little leg room there appeared to be. It’s been a while since I owned a Ranger, but I feel like mine had more rear leg room. Who knows maybe I’m just misremembering.

How ever it might be a bit tight until the rear facing baby seat can be turned around.
Well until the next one is installed.
Front seats slide back further compares to the PX3. I am 6'4" and don't have the seat all the way back in my next gen.

Baby seats fit fine, even rear facing with ample room for a tall person to sit in the front.
Old 31-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #1224
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
Front seats slide back further compares to the PX3. I am 6'4" and don't have the seat all the way back in my next gen.

Baby seats fit fine, even rear facing with ample room for a tall person to sit in the front.
If you have a front facing child seat fitted would you mind throwing a picture in here?

When I take one for a test drive I’ll be bringing it home and just placing the seat in position to visualise it better to compare with the Territory.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:22 PM   #1225
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranger tow test the 4 v V6.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...qWH1tdfz7661AQ
Old 01-08-2022, 03:35 PM   #1226
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This:
The smaller engine used 17.3L/100km of diesel over the same road loop, whereas the V6 used 16.7L/100km.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2022, 06:09 PM   #1227
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
No towing mirrors. Typical.

Commenting on the gearbox not behaving to your liking, and then admitting you didn't have it in tow haul mode.

Looks like they were really trying to replicate the user profile
Old 01-08-2022, 07:33 PM   #1228
Gumboot

So this was how Ford made their Ranger ads before the double decaf soy latte sipping millennials took over the marketing department......

Introducing the Ford OpenCab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDw-Q5vfbjM
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2022, 08:40 PM   #1229
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
I've been critical of a few aspects of it, I'm not a fan of the F truck front end styling or the grey plastics around the lower sections and wheel arches but I have to admit, in V6 form with all that towing tech it is a seriously impressive piece of equipment.
If you we're in the market for a tow rig it would be hard to go past in any area.

I saw my first 2 in the wild today, a grey one which hides the plastics well and one in the orange colour with a bullbar that helped camouflage the boxy front, Its certainly growing on me.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2022, 09:41 PM   #1230
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

the best thing the did on the new ranger was make the dash protrude less, px 1,2,3 all hit my knee, new one has a nice flat transmission tunnel to rest my leg against
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post