Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #91
tim_pato

Default Re: if you were converted from holden, what caused your life changing event???

Errrm, my bad was searching for, um well i typed ba 5spd into au and this came up, couldnt resist.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #92
chuckey
SKIDDER

Default Re: if you were converted from holden, what caused your life changing event???

when i was a young bloke my dad had a datsun 240k, he traded that for a sweet resprayed 250ci XD it got us up and down the coast and into the young young childhood memorys of me and my brother, then one fatefull day he traded it for a gemini...... yes a gemini :( our family life was thrown into turmoil as this gutless japanese badged holden would refuse to start often and liked to overheat at every oppotunity, its almost seared into my mind the amount of times my dad would tell me and my brother about how the most reliable car he owned was a 170 pursuit xr falcon back in the day, and how remembering that sweet sweet XD would almost bring a tear to his eye, from that day onwards (as a 15yo boy) i swore to never ever bow down to the evil holden legion... but alasss as an impressionable 19 year old who wanted to further impress the lady's and notch up a few more scores to my tally (yeah you know what i'm talkin bout) i succombed to the SLR 5000 charms and bought a torana..... it was then i discovered the stupid design of rear distributers and the weak 308 head gaskets that blew more than i did... oh ahhhhhhhh..... but i digress, besides the failing head gaskets and silly dizzy's the pitifull banjo diffs and m21 4 speeds made my experiance a nightmare, finally i brought a 351 xd fairmont ghia and i loved that machine, she treated me better than that slutty holden, and as a bonus chicks dig velour trim way more than sh1tty holden viynl
Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #93
stevepet

Was just looking for a cheap runaround bought a nf fairlane never let me down so i am now doing up an nl stay tuned for pics. We are now a three ford family 1 nissan and one holden.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #94
Itsme
Experienced Member

Not truly converted from holden but I have always had holdens & fords...
Both have their pros & cons but I buy what I think is suitable for my needs but I must admit the fords have stronger engines which is why I currently own one for towing my caravan.... you don't see many commodores doing that.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #95
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
er... 6yr old thread revival??? is this a record?
Don't tempt me........... or I might just go mining....

edit - multi-cultural car family here.

Mostly Fords, from 74 through to 98. There's a 5.0ltr VS ute, (for the sound) two old Rangies (sound and towing).........
and an early Mitsubishi L300, just cause it was the old family car, when us kids were growing up.
(sitting peacefully in the garage).

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it

Last edited by SPArKy_Dave; 07-08-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #96
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AU converted me from Ford to Holden for 8 years !
Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #97
Killaxb
VN2DY4

Im a fan of both. My vn bt1 was probley the most attenion grabbing car an wrnt ****in hard. Im a young dad an would cruise my baby in the falcon over a commo anyday. They drive so smooth an very reliable. Im sure theres plenty of fords out there that go hard but from experiances,my holdens have flogged my falcons powerwise but still a fan of both
Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #98
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I arrived as a migrant to Australia in 1990, and when I saw an EA Falcon for the first time at a car rental agency, I became an instant Ford fan.

However, when I got my licence in 1999 I did seriously consider buying my uncle's VB Commodore wagon as my first car, and drove my brother's TE Gemini SL around for a while before I bought the KA Laser Ghia.

I was never a fan of the square styling on the XD/XE/XF series Falcons and preferred the equivalent Commodores.

So while I had always been a Ford fan, I don't hate Holdens, and (admittedly) there were some Holdens which I liked more than Fords. Not anymore, though
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 08-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #99
Fez WQ

IS there any other car company that builds cars with a personality!!! and feel like a Ford.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #100
Spinner5711

I started with a Morris 1100S. I built a full house 1310 (Cooper S racing motor) for it and went out hunting, I had fun.

Went to a Holden FC Panel Van. Rebuilt an ex-speedway grey motor and had years of fun with that. It had a Canopy Industries 'dickie seat' in the back, so it was great for parties.

Moved on to a Valiant VE Sedan, Regal, 160 BHP 225 Slant Six. Went real well. Compared to teh morris 7 Holden, it was really smooth, quiet and powerful.

Took it up a notch to a Valiant VF Regal 770 Series Coupe. Fireball 318, a real torque monster. What a car.

Family's here now, wife hates two doors with kids. Off goes Valiant, enter first Fairlane, a leaded ZL. Roomy, comfortable etc. I went around car yards etc with a tape measure before i bought it, when I looked inside, I told the bloke that was selling it that i wouldn't bother measuring the room, we talked price and i drove off.

ZL was stolen, best value for money was a NA. once again, roomy etc.

NA died because a Commodore turned right in front of me, head-on in an intersection.

Enter my BA G220. Wow, what a car. For the first two weeks I couldn't believe that a car like it was actually needed by anybody, now I'm used to it and wouldn't have anything else, except that Fairlanes are not made anymore.

Almost forgot, my second car is a Holden FE Special Sedan. I like all of 'em, i'm not really welded on to anything.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #101
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Was in the middle until a mate got his first car - EF Falcon. After that it was FORD all the way. Learnt to drive in an EH though - I don't care if its pre 1980 really, anything that old is a win in my books
Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #102
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

loved my stinking hot 192 4sp eh windowless panelvan then drove a ford was so impressed "I BOUGHT A FORD !! "
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #103
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Never liked Holdens. Never had a Holden. Never will own a Holden.

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #104
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

The XR6T.....
Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #105
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

The short answer is Commodore.

The long answer is ; I started my driving life in a TC cortina 2L 4spd and that little OHC 2L went like stink and was a great handling car. 4 wheel drifting at 90mph round bumpy old bitumen road bends, perfectly poised, convinced me of that. I moved on to a HQ panel van and loved it for many reasons and then stuck with 70s' holdens for years after because I didn't like the fords, they looked big and heavy and they wallowed compared to the holdens. Then the Commodore arrived and it was a cheap looking, under powered, recycled coke can car with a nasty plastic interior. (Every Commodore since has been mechanically uninspiring and visually dull) . Unfortunately I thought the XD wasn't much better as both camps were struggling to lighten the cars to cope with under powered wheezy emissions choked engines. So I basically stuck with my 70s' holdens till my missus came along in 01 when I finally sold my last holden, a HX ute, for a Patrol. Then when the kids came along there was really only one choice when it came to a family wagon, Falcon is the word. I love the space, comfort, and reliability of the post 80s' Fords and that big torquey i6 is the icing on the cake. Having said that, if a good HQ 4spd V8 Kingswood survivor crossed my path I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #106
westoftown

Was looking for my first car at 17, was a 50/50 split between Commodore or Falcon, joined the Ford Forums here to gather info and that's it, never looked back.

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #107
Foylema
BOOST

When i take my mates for a ride in my FG that normaly converts them! aahhaha
Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #108
Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis
Never liked Holdens. Never had a Holden. Never will own a Holden.
Never say never buddy. This is what I used to say about Fords. My last two cars have both been SS Commodores was raised as a Holden man by a dad that always owned Holdens. Picked up a brand new FPV GS last week.

Supercharged V8 converted me.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #109
SpannerXR8
2008 BF XR8

I was a die hard holden man, owned an SLR5000 before moving on to a VC Commodore.
I worked for Caterpillar when the first CAT sponsered V8 Supercar hit the track with John Bowe at the wheel.
Had a lot to do with the team and after going for a ride with Bowie around Calder Park (you may call it life changing) I was converted..........
Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #110
WPR1

I had a VY11 Berlina that was off the road more than on. Looked great but always problems from water leaking into the cabin to a faulty fuel gauge.

My current Falcon and Territory are just great. Better to drive and (touch wood) very reliable.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #111
On The Edge
BOSS 335

Super charged v8 from the factory did it for me
Old 08-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #112
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

My old man rolled home in about 1990 in a work car: a Gold EA. Looked like a limo compared to our camria.

So that kicked off the thoughts, but I didn't get converted until I started fixing taxis and learnt that the I6s routinely do a million kays unopened.

Sold!

(the torque, refinement, LPG, throttle response and smooth auto helped too)
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #113
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden all my life then drove my car and bought it.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #114
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger
Never say never buddy. This is what I used to say about Fords. My last two cars have both been SS Commodores was raised as a Holden man by a dad that always owned Holdens. Picked up a brand new FPV GS last week.

Supercharged V8 converted me.
I am the biggest badge racist fella I know. I have ford stuff everywhere. For me, Holden will never ever be an option

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #115
Rockape
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like the supercharged V8 has moved a few over.

Kawasaki ZZR1100
Old 08-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #116
falconator
Regular Yobbo

We bought a 24 ft caravan and when it came to towing,my old mans 4.1L Cortina ran rings around my 253 v8 HJ Kingswood.The Corty only had a Stromie,the HJ had a 4 barrel Rochester,twin system,etc.After that i ,SAW THE LIGHT!!

QLD number plate....V8 COUPE !!! for sale,make a offer!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #117
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

couldnt afford the the inflated prices for an original VH SL/E I wanted, a mate from work offered me his very tidy and original XF Ghia, lowered and with extractors for $600 !! I thought what the hell !!!
Im on my 5th Ford now and I still have my 4th Ford too
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #118
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

My Dad was a mechanic, and when I was a young tacka he had them both. But he used to like Brocky racing. So I liked them both. And now I have grown up and think the falcon is great. But I still like any aussie muscle car
Old 08-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #119
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's interesting that a few here have mentioned that once they actually drove the two the Ford won over, it's a pitty we can't get more non biased people to do the same as it seem's that what we have known for yr's is true, the Falcon is by far the better built/driven vehicle.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #120
adz193
EL XR6

I followed Holden like most simply because the old man did. All started when our VN was replaced with an EF XR6 when i was about 9 or 10. Then it was replaced with a BA around 6 years ago. Loved the EF and couldn't have been happier when got my EL XR 3 years ago...

I don't hate on Holdens, there are some i still like (VS Senator, HSV Coupe)
But after driving both, there is no doubt about what i would rather own

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
Closed Thread