Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-08-2005, 08:35 PM   #91
fordtickfprdx

when do you want to see it
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 08:41 PM   #92
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

are you in Adelaide then?! Get a friend to take a vid or something.

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 08:49 PM   #93
fordtickfprdx

Im in adelaide i have the falcon with the noisey liifters
Old 01-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #94
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtickfprdx
Im in adelaide i have the falcon with the noisey liifters
you'll have to be more specific than that...
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #95
fordtickfprdx

sorry its white and has big blue mud flaps on it now im into ralling where drifting originated from also has a tickford 6 5speed and a non working lsd
Old 01-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #96
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

... when you said "Couldn't catch me through the hills" were you refering to the stellar effort on Gorge Rd that employed the use of using the entirity of the road? As in your EB having red mudflaps at some stage?

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #97
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I have a couple of friends who drift (an r31 and an s13) and they started out drifting 90 degree turns using a compression lock .... the 31 came 9th at the drift nats last year

come within 20 metres of a right hand corner (start off at 60km then as you get confident (or y) increase your speed) hold your clutch in and quickly steer away from the corner and then hard into the corner as you do so drop the clutch (you will notice that your rear wheels lock) and get onto the throttle to counter steer.
however straight line fishy tails is much harder than what you would think especially if you are trying to link corners.... (VERY VERY SCARY especially as a passenger)

check out www.nissansilvia.com they have alot of helpful hints too...
Old 02-08-2005, 01:19 AM   #98
fordtickfprdx

yes but also up greenhill road
Old 02-08-2005, 02:15 AM   #99
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
by the way who says you need an lsd to drift its all about setting the car up for the corner
how do you predict/handle the diff swapping the drive wheel?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:54 AM   #100
Walkinshaw
Two > One

A gorge run. Hey if it wasnt stupid, asking for death or illigal, id give you a run up there mate. However seing it fits the three criteria listed prior, I'll let you take to the hills on your own.

Mudflaps, and an open centre, who's kidding who?

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #101
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
ill take you for a run on the dirt if you want
dirt, road or snow, i'll give you a go if i ever meet you, tight unpredicitable slippery roads are my specialty.

Edit: no drifting though, i prefer to keep all four wheels stuck to the ground

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #102
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who says an '86 can't smoke em? ;)
This is an NA 1600 4AGE 20V. No T or Z in sight :thebirds:

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #103
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockgt
ill agree with that. you dont need a lsd and u dont need a manual.
I think there is major misconception of what drift is. Spinning your wheels around a corner of whipping the *** out momentarily is not 'drift'.

I would love to see you attempt to enter a corner sideways and hold it continuously, in a 1500kg, auto, non-lsd :hihi:

Like stockstandard said - how do you predict/handle the diff swapping the drive wheel? and how do you stop the auto from changing gears mid corner? it:

There wouldnt even be ONE car in Australia yet alone Japan that drifts in comps/track with auto and/or no LSD.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #104
Walkinshaw
Two > One

there is a Blue VC commo here that drifts with an auto. Does a better job than 3/4 of the rice burners and sounds 30x as good, yet it allways seems to loose....dodgy judges...

Old 02-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #105
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
there is a Blue VC commo here that drifts with an auto. Does a better job than 3/4 of the rice burners and sounds 30x as good, yet it allways seems to loose....dodgy judges...
Same deal with the CAPA ute. LAst round i saw covered on TV, it was the ute vs a WRX. Despite the plumes of tyre smoke and not so much as a unit of traction down the back straight from CAPA... care to take a guess who the judges awared the points to?

The worst part about that sport is the manner in which it is judged. Subjectively? You bet! Throw in an ounce or two of favouratism as well...

I think it'll be a long time before we see a domestic walk away with the win...
Old 02-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #106
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Seing the sport is judged subjectivly based on approach angle, and "style" who knows what style is? Rather than furiously working the clutch and hand brake, i think holding a tinny of beer out the window a V8 with open headders and using just one gear and no pussy clutch dumpings is far classier than any handbreak comression lock crap.

There inlies the problem with the sport. Subjective judging. Sure sports such as rhythmic gymnastics and diving are also judged on style and grace, however they have a check list of points to look at, entry angle, balance, lack of splash etc. Drifting seems to have gone, erm lets make a catagory for judging "style".......Im one who thinks they need to become far more professional in their judging.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #107
Hotwire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But dan, plume's of smoke may look ok, but there is less skill in a big HP car holding a power oversteer, rather than actually setting up pre-apex entry like the judges award. The sport was started on the basis of judging pre-apex entry angle and speed, and therefore that is where the judging should stay.

If you just want to see plumes of smoke, thats what burnout comps are for. Drifting is about good budget motorsport, where you dont need to spend $30k on an engine to give you 400+rwkw just to get plumes of smoke. That is why a sprinter with 100rwkw can match it with a 800hp ute, because its about driver skill and entry to corners, not who can put on the biggest smoke show.

Drifting is a skillfull sport, not who has the most $$ to make smoke.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #108
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres two different views from a drift forum on an Aussie drift car. Shows you how much differnce their can be in the outcome, with different judges etc

"Went to the night drift last night and watched this car in action.
On the Fullock track, entery speed, was 30-40 k's quicker, exit speed and angle on the final turn was faster than anything i saw at recent nats. Including the D1 drivers.
Quickest car I have seen, drivers like a AE86..........WERD"

"i was also there last night at the QR practice. dont get me wrong, the car is awesome, and sounded very tough, and did get alot better towards the end of the night.
but 30-40kph faster down the straight passing other cars followed by hard braking, then a mid corner 'stab' 'stab' of the accelerator, followed by 30metres of grip then finally a bit of weight shift into the right hander isn't going to impress. then the angle and speed of the final corner was just a power over in 4th from the corner before followed by a straight line burnout at 160kph.
IMO cameron in the R32 and the guy in the falcon had the right idea of what drifting is about on the fulllock track. lots of speed, lots of pre apex angle, followed by controlled weight shifting to hit the apex's of the rest of the track.

i've got nothing against bolger and his cars, but his approach to the skill needed in drift is wrong. i know that with the power, engineering, experience etc that he has, if he just took some hints from some of the other drifters, he'd be unstoppable.
thats what i would like to see. him using some of the knowledge and technique from some of the best drifters, applying it to the awesome gear he has and becoming an awesome drifter.

take my post as constuctive criticism. i enjoy seeing drifters learn and progress, and take criticism as a positive to getting there."
Old 02-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #109
94EDxr6
5.SPEED

u should have seen the drift i did at the lights which are opposite the Werribee Police Station. I got LSDin 3rd
94EDxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #110
Damo
Banned

yeah it's a shame no one saw that. :

I drifted all the way form my house to work this morning, it's an hour drive, man you shoulda seen that, I linked every corner in 5th gear. :
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #111
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Good point regarding diffrent views, but the 2nd view is obviously by somone who has bhp envy. Regarding passing on the main straights, this is a way to instant win the race, IF you dont just take a racing line and fly past, you must be still 'drifting'. Now if your car has the bhp to hold a 160kmh snakie onto the main straight and pass the competition, well you win, its the other guys fault for having a slow car.

I understand where people are comming from regarding pre entry angle, however the comment regarding "nothing but a 4th gear powerslide from the previous corner" shouldn't the driver be awarded BULK points for holding a drift from the previous corners and onto the straight. No reason to punnish people because they have 800rwbhp.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #112
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

And here I am thinking that drifting is just another way to try and get from A to B faster than the other guy :
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #113
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Drifting is different to hanging the **** end out. I dare say a few people in here think it isn't.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #114
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Drifting is different to hanging the **** end out. I dare say a few people in here think it isn't.
100% spot on!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:31 PM   #115
JesseXDSpack
Petrol Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyEFGhia
On dirt? thats not that impressive... you can make anything "drift" on dirt. Im sure a stock standard XD Falcon with a 250 xflow can drift on dirt... Next you will be telling us about your impressive "drift" on grass in your 4cyl starfire VH Commodore
hey man
ummm im a hella honest guy and im tellin ya that my XD Falcon drifts on bitumen. Im not saying that its hella good at it but it can do it. any car can drift if ya do it right. My mate drifted his 120y on the bitumen today and its ed.

And i would have to say that drifting on dirt is a lot more fun and a lot more forgiving.
JesseXDSpack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #116
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
i am quite good at controlling power oversteer(not drifting) fairly good at wet weather drifting in an XF with LSD and manual stiff suspension and low profile 16s and using a back off technique before corner and turn in to create angle as handbrke is too hard in XF second gear is the go.
the XE ute was as good in STD set up with LSD,
the trouble with X series is not enough opposite lock, the trouble with Eseries is not tight enough LSD.
having said that my brother amazes me with being (crazy) brave enough to consistently (when he knows the road) drift an auto non LSD EB (in the wet) into two corners at speeds of almost flat stick in second usuing body roll and tyre roll to set up the slide.this is not common but would happen prolly 5 times in the wetter seasons of the year
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #117
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those that havent watched drift bible or similar, here is a brief summary of what sort of things your car needs and ways to drift:

Setting up a car (what is important)
1. Upgrade suspension
2. Upgrade brakes (pads and fluid)
3. Get more power
4. Upgrade seats and interiour (more support when throwing car around and better shifters)
5. Better LSD's

It is just assumed that the car that is going to be drifting will have at least a crappy LSD.

And the different ways to drift...
1. Slide (hand brake)
2. Shift lock (down shift and compression lock)
3. Power over (Power slide - yes it is considered a form of drifting)
4. Braking (Weight tansfer to throw the back out)
5. Feint (Weight transition by steering away from the turn then throwing it towards the apex)
6. Lift off (lift of the gas for weight transfer)
Old 02-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #118
fordtickfprdx

How to predict what your car is going to do depends on if you know your car or not. If you know your car then you should know how to set it up for the corner, if you come in to a coner with a scandinavion flick (TZNU you desribed what a scandinavein flick is) that willl put the car off balance enough to hold a good slide thats the best way to do it with an open wheeler. Also the mudflaps are for driving fast on dirt so the sills dont get stuffed.So im not kidding anyone, if you've ever driven fast on dirt you would realise this.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #119
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How to predict what your car is going to do depends on if you know your car or not. If you know your car then you should know how to set it up for the corner, if you come in to a coner with a scandinavion flick (TZNU you desribed what a scandinavein flick is) that willl put the car off balance enough to hold a good slide thats the best way to do it with an open wheeler. Also the mudflaps are for driving fast on dirt so the sills dont get stuffed.So im not kidding anyone, if you've ever driven fast on dirt you would realise this.
OK, but what happens when your car is in the middle of a courner and the drive wheel switches???
Old 03-08-2005, 12:22 AM   #120
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Very well written there Rollin, you also backed up one of my previous comments regarding people bagging out a car that just power slid all the way through two corners and linked onto the straight. Looking at the videos of Robbie, he is NOT the worlds best drifter and most of his drifting is started mid corner, however being able to link two corners under a power slide DOES put you into a 'drift' before the second corner.

With regards to the points being allocated to the degree of drift prior to the corner being greater than that of powerslide noise and smoke show, now thats one thing i can't change, however i disagree with it and would judge a winner diffrent to somone else. This again comes back to the problem with the judging system. Not to say that its not impressive.