Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #91
cowboy
Cowboy

Default Re: Vic club rego rule changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Not against people having club rego good luck to them but if some one who has a collection of 18 or more cars surely must be able to afford the costs associated to the hobby regardless how often the cars are used.

That's a bit simplistic mate. I own 19 cars ranging from 1927 to 1978, they are my life's work and passion, I pour every spare minute and dollar into them. I'm not rich by any means, I work like a dog to support my hobby and can only afford it because I do all the work myself. If I had to pay full rego I'd be looking at over 12 grand. Add to that the fact that insurance goes up exponentially when a car goes from club plates to full rego, I'd be looking at another 6 or 7 grand a year. So, I'd be down nearly 20 grand a year if the club scheme was scrapped. At this point I simply couldn't afford to have them on the road and my hobby goes out the window.

I know a lot of guys who have multiple cars, doesn't make them rich either, usually just the opposite.

I probably only drive each car maybe 8-10 times a year but I have a smile from ear to ear every time I do.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #92
FORRD

Angry Re: Vic club rego rule changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
Club reg is only for people who are too tight *** to pay full reg .
PUT BRAIN INTO GEAR BEFORE MOUTH

Or in this case BEFORE TYPING
FORRD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #93
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
That's a bit simplistic mate. I own 19 cars ranging from 1927 to 1978, they are my life's work and passion, I pour every spare minute and dollar into them. I'm not rich by any means, I work like a dog to support my hobby and can only afford it because I do all the work myself. If I had to pay full rego I'd be looking at over 12 grand. Add to that the fact that insurance goes up exponentially when a car goes from club plates to full rego, I'd be looking at another 6 or 7 grand a year. So, I'd be down nearly 20 grand a year if the club scheme was scrapped. At this point I simply couldn't afford to have them on the road and my hobby goes out the window.

I know a lot of guys who have multiple cars, doesn't make them rich either, usually just the opposite.

I probably only drive each car maybe 8-10 times a year but I have a smile from ear to ear every time I do.
Had a rethink on this topic & I can see where you are coming from as I do know of people who have a strong passion for their hobbies.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #94
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
Club reg is only for people who are too tight *** to pay full reg .
on average I drive my car 20 - 25 'days' per year, you are suggesting I pay $600 plus extra insurance for a car that hardly turns a wheel. I own the original plates for the car but with the cost of full rego I just can't justify it, $66 per year plus $300 per year insurance is quite enough, I seriously can't see paying about $1k per year is justifiable
Old 08-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #95
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
on average I drive my car 20 - 25 'days' per year, you are suggesting I pay $600 plus extra insurance for a car that hardly turns a wheel. I own the original plates for the car but with the cost of full rego I just can't justify it, $66 per year plus $300 per year insurance is quite enough, I seriously can't see paying about $1k per year is justifiable
Same deal with us Motorcycle owners. I know it's my choice to not ride the bike a lot but $500 reg for maybe 10 rides per year gets a bit expensive.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #96
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothin suss View Post
Same deal with us Motorcycle owners. I know it's my choice to not ride the bike a lot but $500 reg for maybe 10 rides per year gets a bit expensive.
the added bonus with club rego is the comradeship of the club members, we did a run last Sunday to a local(ish) pub for lunch, lots of friendly banter and a few drinks, lunch then home, doing this also supports some of the local(ish) businesses, so club rego sometimes can be a bit secondary
Old 08-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #97
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The Vic club reg does need a good look at.

Yesterday I looked into the mechanics place next to where I work, and there was an ordinary looking mini bus on club H plates!!

Ridiculous.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #98
buickman
buickman

I pay full Rego and insurance on 3 cars . Two are daily's and 2 are hobbies one with full Rego and one with H plates . I could put both the old cars on H plates but prefer to keep one fully Rego so I can just jump in and drive it without keeping any records on usage. Most with club plates do the right thing but a with anything in life some abuse the privileges given to them not just club plates.