Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #91
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
Thats easy fixed come to my place and look for yourself i have owned the XA for 30 years and Purchased Bob Matics XY 10 years ago.
PM me your address
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #92
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I've always admitted the VE's silhouette was very attractive, and if they fix the it's bum/face... then I think it'll be a stunner. Fixing the flares, though, would be the tricky part. Being very wedged/tapered towards the front there is no way they can escape having the 2 metre wide flares with this make-over. Unless they reduce the front track by 20 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I can't even envisage how that's possible?!
It's the garden state, they have ducks posing as officers.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 12:18 AM   #93
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I've always admitted the VE's silhouette was very attractive, and if they fix the it's bum/face... then I think it'll be a stunner. Fixing the flares, though, would be the tricky part. Being very wedged/tapered towards the front there is no way they can escape having the 2 metre wide flares with this make-over. Unless they reduce the front track by 20 inches.
On the standard Commode, I agree. When the guards are filled with a decent wheel, I think the flared guards look the goods. The bum I'm not much of a fan of, except in the HSV S1.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #94
SVD

ok...here is some insider information for you!

My brother knows the guy who drives it, it isn't a holden import...and it's not the new interior...

The guy's name is Cam (or cameron or something like that, but Cam for short...) it was imported about the start of the year, runs a twin turbo v6... and it is not the new interior...
he came round here about a month ago and yeh it's pretty damn nice to look at...kinda...but very very cheap in feel, the touch screen is also pretty rubbish.... i didn't even realize it was the same car till i showed my brother and he said, "oh, that's just cam's car..."
if you want ill see if i can rustle up some more images of it, ill get my brother to get some....it's one of two currently imported by some electronics mob who was doing work on them for the cop cars that were going to be exported.... thats all i know, for now...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #95
Deco28

Cool SVD, can't wait.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #96
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
Well I for one has to say the new styling of the commodore make the FG look like its from the 50s I mean whats with the suitcase door handles on the FG.

What?? The same as the handles on the VE and Magna and Camry, the ones that all come from the same manufacturer.......pointless drivel again, unless of course your point is to hijack another thread, in which case congratulations are due

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #97
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they want to fix the VE, then (IM ever so HO).
1) Upgrade from the BA headlights to at least the BFII - I am sure ford will help out
2) Move ahead of the Mazda Astina/Mondeo rear lights - HSV obviously hated them.
3) either soften the front guards, or position the car so that it will only ever be seen from about 45 degrees left or right of the rear.
4) get an EF cruise control setup (even my wife's 96 Mazda is easier to use intuitively)

But none of this will get fixed - I table that there is virtually zero chance of any sheetmetal change - remember this is the loss-making subsidiary of a bankrupt (ok saved by the government) company.

I really don't want Holden to die, but I wish the Australian Public was not so 'taken' by them.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #98
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
I actually agree to a certain point with Outback, IMO the styling of the FG is nowhere near as good as the VE, I am not so one eyed that I think that only Ford make good cars, I really like the VE except for the handbrake, I have never seen something so useless. The VE styling is muscular much like the B series styling was, the FG styling is fairly bland even into the FPV's, the only one I dont mind is the G6E's they have an upperclass look suited to the idea of the car.
Its pretty much a given that people who like the B-series shape dislike the FGs styling, not because its bland but because its not as macho as the B cars and the VE (the latter of which is almost comical in its steroid-pumped appearance)

To my eye the BA-F sheetmetal is among the most bland ever put out by Ford Australia (verging on 90s Camry boring) add to that the fact the front and rear clash with the AU cabin (its a shame the BA didnt get its 'own' cabin. HOWEVER the XR and GT bodykits made up for the bland panels (particularly the BF FPVs)

Each panel on the FG has it all over its B-Series predecessor (especially the god awful non bulged BA bonnet) And while the VE has a great stance and silhouette, it misses out of the graceful surface detailing of the FG.

In conclusion just because something isnt macho, doesnt mean its bland.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #99
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Re: SVDs revelation, I'm not surprised it isnt the VF interior, it just doesnt look right!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #100
JimNiki
71Mach1

My holden mate went from a monaro (company car) to a G6ET.
Work basically said if you want an 8, you need to pay the excess in fuel.

So he got the Ford and he loves it.
Had an issue with the aircon not pumping cold air out one side, but that's been fixed.
(They had to pull the whole dash out to fix an $8 part which snapped. Ford had the car for several days but gave him a loaner.)

The only thin he doesn't "get" on a car of this calibre is why is there no lock on the fuel cap. You just open it from the outside like the old days.
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #101
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
Its pretty much a given that people who like the B-series shape dislike the FGs styling, not because its bland but because its not as macho as the B cars and the VE (the latter of which is almost comical in its steroid-pumped appearance).
Sorry, but your "pretty much a given" comment is wrong (presumptuous much!!). I love the look of the bseries but also love the FG! I'm not the only one, I know plenty that love both.

Back to the topic at hand. I've seen the pics of the interior, ands it's got to be said, it looks a LOT better than the current piece of rubbish! And damn that screen is huge! All in all a better job from Holden, but time will tell whether the VE II interior will be a match for the FG. it's hard to speculate on what the round vent will look like in the overall design of the interior til we see it in the flesh. But if they stop making it out of recycled Lego plastic it should be a good step up!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #102
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
ok...here is some insider information for you!

My brother knows the guy who drives it, it isn't a holden import...and it's not the new interior...

The guy's name is Cam (or cameron or something like that, but Cam for short...) it was imported about the start of the year, runs a twin turbo v6... and it is not the new interior...
he came round here about a month ago and yeh it's pretty damn nice to look at...kinda...but very very cheap in feel, the touch screen is also pretty rubbish.... i didn't even realize it was the same car till i showed my brother and he said, "oh, that's just cam's car..."
if you want ill see if i can rustle up some more images of it, ill get my brother to get some....it's one of two currently imported by some electronics mob who was doing work on them for the cop cars that were going to be exported.... thats all i know, for now...
How did I miss this post?!

If this true then it's no wonder it looks better than the current interior cause it wasn't made by Holden in the first place! Pics SVD if you will.

That would be a bit embarrasing!
New Holden interior spied, er in an old VE, um custom made... But it's twin turbo'd er but not made by Holden either!
Great headline... Sounds like a story from Drive or Wheels to me!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #103
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I for one thinks it great that everybody has differing opinions on each of our selections of cars to choose from World would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing and every manufacturers cars would look the same.

On the FG it is only my opinion and is why I bought the Bf over the FG at the time. I know plenty of people that think similar thoughts as me (most are Holden lovers) and I know plenty that disagree too. I have been in a few VE's, FG's amongst others. IMO between these 2 manufacturers they are a much of a muchness in regards to build qualitys, some have better areas than others and vice versa.

For any car enthusiast it has to be a love of the car or that the overall package is what you want which makes you buy them, mine was a love of it, but once I test drove it I realised it was the best base package for me. I have a compulsive modifying disorder.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #104
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
My holden mate went from a monaro (company car) to a G6ET.

The only thin he doesn't "get" on a car of this calibre is why is there no lock on the fuel cap. You just open it from the outside like the old days.
When you lock the cardoors it locks the fuel filler flap as well. Get your mate to try and open the fuel filler with the doors locked.

Quote: