Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #91
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: The FGX as the ultimate enthusiast collectors falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Don't be confused......
I have a special edition 5 dollar coin and yes it's worth almost 6 times its stamped value.

It's worth more because it's a special commemorative coin.
Example below

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152171395015

It's kinda like special commemorative cars. They are worth more.
Wait what - there are $5 coins...

Sell Sell Sell...

Just having a laugh to myself folks - carry on...
Old 13-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #92
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

It's all lols.....
I've put 100,000klm on my GT
There is no way I'd have saved half of them to get an extra 10k resale value....NO WAY. Too many great memories with friends and family in this thing.
Car is worth 25k. The memories and emotions are priceless.
If it's still worth 25k in 10 years time it's a BONUS but I sure as hell ain't waiting around and keeping it in mothballs to find out. I have superannuation and investments to hand over to my kids. The GT stays with me.....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 13-09-2016, 11:43 PM   #93
ESPJG32

If you are looking for the ultimate, grab a GT-F that was what you should do, everything else sits below ultimate - the last GT sold, the last FPV, THE MOST POWERFUL THEY EVER MADE....and there are a few sitting around that you can buy still...just like the old days when phase 3s sat in yards and no one figured they would be collectable - same applies....but don't lock them away drive them...you will be dead a long time
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #94
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Don't be confused......
I have a special edition 5 dollar coin and yes it's worth almost 6 times its stamped value.

It's worth more because it's a special commemorative coin.
Example below

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152171395015

It's kinda like special commemorative cars. They are worth more.
Arnt they usually worth that much because they are mint and still in the original wrapping?
This user likes this post:
Old 14-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #95
SprintFg
Banned

Quote:
It's all lols.....
I've put 100,000klm on my GT
There is no way I'd have saved half of them to get an extra 10k resale value....NO WAY. Too many great memories with friends and family in this thing.
Car is worth 25k. The memories and emotions are priceless.
If it's still worth 25k in 10 years time it's a BONUS but I sure as hell ain't waiting around and keeping it in mothballs to find out. I have superannuation and investments to hand over to my kids. The GT stays with me.....
Nothing wrong with enjoying it, I encourage that. However I'd urge enthusiasts to buy a FG fpv/fgx new or near new so there is more enjoyment to be had (being newer and less km), also grab the most enjoyable drives being the i6t or supercharged v8.

With 100,000km on yours, as you have said it's half enjoyed, you prob have another 100,000km of enjoyable trouble free driving before things start to go south. If you grab a new one now, you will reset and have at least 200,000km to enjoy.

Unfortunately You can't restart when yours is done as ford won't make them!
Old 14-09-2016, 12:36 AM   #96
DASTIG

I really don't care what my sprint will be worth in the future. I have never purchased a car expecting to make money, they are mostly liabilities so my Accountant wife tells me!! One day it will be handed on to my 9 year old son who answers the question before I get to when asked, where is the GT? "Dad is getting one of the last fords before the factory closes for good."

I will be picking up my car in the week that the factory closes and I will be driving that baby almost every day I live, just like I did with my GT when I owned it. When I drive it I will be enjoying it just like everyone of u no matter what ford you own and drive.

Enjoy it, drive safe and make sure you give all fordies a wave as u pass each other. This factory closure is coming up so fast, big group hug everyone!!!
Old 14-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #97
superyob
Banned

What about the fabled 5 second Aurion? That will have to be worth a few dollars in years to come...

And I mean only a few...
Old 14-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #98
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
What about the fabled 5 second Aurion? That will have to be worth a few dollars in years to come...

And I mean only a few...
It died of fright when it ran into a headwind.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Old 14-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #99
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post

And I mean only a few...
Understeered into a tree with Hulk at the wheel
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
6 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #100
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Spot on.

I think some of the guys really have no idea why the old bangers are so collectible....homologation race cars...

Ask yourself why are EB and EL GTs essentially worthless, EB is now 25 years old and worth jack, a fraction of it's 1992 new price. An XY GT in 1996 was worth 3 or 4 times more than it's new price of 1971. See the trend. The other plastic GTs will be worthless too like the EB. FGX will be worth even less......

Totally agree with you on the homologation race car bit, those models will always be worth the most. But also the reason an XY in 1996 was worth so much more was the inflation of the time period - GTHO was $4400 or so in '71, by early 1980s the equivalents top/lux models were blowing out to $12000. (1971 Houses 17K? Av wage 2500-5000? lolol) Then it continued on up... In the early 70's Wheels sold their XYGS302 tester for more than what they purchased it for!

As for EB GT, memory recalls about 60K ask price circa 1993, look at FGX Sprints, 25 years later they are cheaper! So we've had deflation in car prices in this time. Accelerated depreciation in used cars. Apples and Apples. But yes the P3GTHO never went down in nominal value if the old stories are true.

The money will be in those early models you could race, and in those amazing XA-C coupes.
Old 15-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #101
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Slightly off topic a little, but in the same vein...

I heard that the new $5 notes are now hitting the streets...Does this mean we should be keeping some old ones in the hope that they will be worth millions later or are we better off mothballing a couple of hundred new ones?

I'm so confused???
Yeah, I'd keep some for the laughs. If you fold the note a couple of times near the necklace it looks like a bunch of teeth fellating a ...
Old 17-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #102
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 40 years time will you be even able to fuel, register, or drive your FGX on the roads of the future?
If they can't be used they will be worthless.
Old 17-09-2016, 12:29 AM   #103
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
In 40 years time will you be even able to fuel, register, or drive your FGX on the roads of the future?
If that's the case keep them well and maybe they will be a museum piece. Not reading the posts from the past week due to double shifts and no sleep, all I can say is its all about cycles. Back when I started driving I was blowing up about fuel going up above 89c per litre. Got used to almost $2 a litre, and these days it's under $1.20. Factoring in inflation from 2003, and that I haven't payed for a tank since 2010 (how good are fuel cards) did the world magically find more fuel, oil, whatever, or have people now realised that using coal to produce steam to provide rotation to the powerstations to charge up their cars isn't entirely carbon friendly. Nucleur is no better, South Australia probably thinks the same
Old 17-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #104
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
G'day... Good point and that'll apply to all fossil fuel only vehicles.
About five or so years back I was listening to an old bloke from Stateside on radio who was visiting Australia to talk about such stuff..

Here's a few things I recall : The myth is that we'll 'run out of' oil . Not exactly true was his point . He said that by about 2040 the reachable in all practicality oil resources will be gone. He suggested that they believe there's a lot more left but it's way too far down or not financially viable to reach .This may or may not be overcome in time if technology develops.

Of all the current use stuff , one country uses more than 25 % of it..GOOD OLD YANKS..of that 25% one part of that country infrastructure uses nearly half of that.. GOOD OLD U.S. MILITARY..It'd be more if their massive aircraft carriers and subs weren't nuclear powered .

At that time several years back now he was referring to what's happening now . Hybrids , bio based fuels like sugar beet etc..I suppose it's a bit like using technology to create diamonds now. Developing technology to speed up nature by a few tens of millions of years..

Technology holds the key to whether in 40 or so years there'll be any fossil fuel cars still plying our roads or if we're doing donuts in Tesla's..Imagine the conversation.." Listen to the hum of that beauty".
Now I'll get my tongue out of my cheek ..
Cheers Rod..
Old 17-09-2016, 11:06 AM   #105
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Quote:
Retrofit an electric motor, the F6E will have the right badge!

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #106
SPRINT 398
Starter Motor

well ive read the thread and it makes me wonder if we are all batting for the same team well ill bleed blue till i die period i personaly have owned every model falcon GT ever built with the exeption of the EB GT and the EL GT as they where not fit to where the mighty GT badge IMO ..When the arseclowns from the GM camp carry on about the GT falcon they just blew the doors off you can bet it was an E series haha ,,,i own an immaculate 2007 BF11 GT that i brought new, and it will be in the shed when im dead.They are the best looking of the 2005 to 2014 GT models IMO And at 90,000 km never been to a paint shop never had a windscreen not a mark in the interior or the panel and paint its probably worth 40k less than i paid for it, now at the other end of the spectrum i also had a XY GT and you would not find a better example,well i sold that car in may to buy my Sprint and it was hard to hold back the tears when it was driven out the driveway the rest of the family were crying hard,as we had owned it for 22 years. all my mates and my father tell me im off my f@@king head. Well its done and i couldnt be happier,i own my sprint outright and had enough change left to get it looking good and make it a quick car,i use it every weekend and we acually leave the house now that the XY GT has gone,something i didnt do in fear of it getting knocked off..At 54 im not going to see what a collecable they become and i couldnt give a toss ,,,,lifes to short im just going to blow the doors off every HSV i come across until they take my licence away in my 70s and buy the way its just a GTF WITH OUT THE STARTER BUTTON AND PRICE TAG ,,,,Dont let the grey hairs fool you cheers
Old 18-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #107
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINT 398 View Post
........EL GT as they where not fit to ware the mighty GT badge IMO ..
Well someone disagrees with you each to there own I guess........

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...D-157036/?Cr=0
Old 18-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #108
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont own an E series so no axe to grind....but if any mill wasnt living up to the GT standard its the 5.4 ....especially naming it a BOSS ....just my opinion

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 18-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #109
SPRINT 398
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Well someone disagrees with you each to there own I guess........

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...D-157036/?Cr=0
I didnt get that money for one of the nicest XYGTs in the country Dreams are free ... that will still be for sale when they take my licence from me in 20 years time But you never know it is 20 years old and FORD is shutting shop you would need a heathy bank balance because nobody would help you finance it unless there on what he is on
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #110
SPRINT 398
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
i dont own an E series so no axe to grind....but if any mill wasnt living up to the GT standard its the 5.4 ....especially naming it a BOSS ....just my opinion
I do think there a tad quicker than the old 200kw windsor but muzman my 5.4 6 speed auto Has the usual headers BPR cold air underdrives tune and 3.46 gears with a 75 hp nitrous shot runs 11.73 at 121mph and is a fast as the standard Sprint 8 off the bottle at 12.81 at 112 mph
Old 18-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #111
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I do think there a tad quicker than the old 200kw windsor but muzman my 5.4 6 speed auto Has the usual headers BPR cold air underdrives tune and 3.46 gears with a 75 hp nitrous shot runs 11.73 at 121mph and is a fast as the standard Sprint 8 off the bottle at 12.81 at 112 mph
sounds good , i thought you were comparing stock v current hsv at the time and IMO THE 5.4L was a distant 2nd

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 18-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #112
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
Have you ever driven a standard 5.8 clevo 351... Especially in auto. XB , XC , XD or XE ?? And those cars are 200+ kg lighter.

Where the 5.4 is lacking is in its ridiculous rear end ratio. 2.7 diff gears isn't exactly going to help move a 2 ton plus car very swiftly in the 1st 2 or 3 gears. Do nothing else to a stocker ZF auto but change out the diff gears and you have a totally different experience. Engine is capable of making power right up to 6300 - 6500 RPM out of the box so no probs....... Just my opinion.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #113
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you ever driven a standard 5.8 clevo 351... Especially in auto. XB , XC , XD or XE ?? And those cars are 200+ kg lighter.
Fair call. The GT engines were a different story though. (XB & XC)

XC Cobra #181.
Old 18-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #114
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Fair call. The GT engines were a different story though. (XB & XC)
15.8 - 16 sec quarters for the sedans . Hardtops were over 16 sec quarters.
Point being here that most N/A engines are a little lacklustre as stockers... From all eras. We've been spoilt with forced induction performance in the latest crop of local performance cars.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 18-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #115
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
exeption of the EB GT and the EL GT as they where not fit to where the mighty GT badge IMO ..When the arseclowns from the GM camp carry on about the GT falcon they just blew the doors off you can bet it was an E series haha
Hmm. EB EL GT's, try building one. See if you can make it look right.

Then do the same with a B series GT, go see your local signwriter, pick out your stripe colour and you're 98% done.
Old 18-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #116
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Hmm. EB EL GT's, try building one. See if you can make it look right.

Then do the same with a B series GT, go see your local signwriter, pick out your stripe colour and you're 98% done.
I'd own an ELGT in a heartbeat. Love them. The grille ain't my cup of tea but that's cool. It's the cars defining spit in ya face I don't care attitude. Engines and performance can be tinkered with but the overall intent and aesthetic is what you're stuck with.. ELGT had class in spades. In years to come that attribute will serve it well.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 18-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #117
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ..Total respect for all the comments in this thread and if it was ever a case of "How long's a piece of string" ..This is this in a nutshell here.
RE GT's ..While outright performance is a significant part of any Falcon wearing the famous GT insignia , it's not the whole box and dice. The GT badge means "Grand Touring " or " Gran Turismo ".
Let's be honest , the vast number of GT's weren't built as race cars outright. For the vast majority the odd track day or special event like Targa Tasmania or other Targa events is as close as they come .
The best thing for a GT is having a car that you can indeed go Grand Touring in total comfort with the big V8 easily doing the job and burbling away , the occasional show offing with a 'don't mess with me fella' squirt at the lights or country road and a better chassis/ suspension set up AND distinctive body kit and paint job that draws attention . Oh yes , and making more mundane car owners green with envy .
I'll probably never have one but I can dream as good as anyone about having one..
Cheers Rod...
3 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #118
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
15.8 - 16 sec quarters for the sedans . Hardtops were over 16 sec quarters.
Point being here that most N/A engines are a little lacklustre as stockers... From all eras. We've been spoilt with forced induction performance in the latest crop of local performance cars.
My Cobra wasn't a 16+ second car I can assure you.

A standard lazy 351 sure., anyway I guess my point is that the GT's of the era were a lot different to standard 351's.

XC Cobra #181.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 18-09-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 18-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #119
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Where the 5.4 is lacking is in its ridiculous rear end ratio. 2.7 diff gears isn't exactly going to help move a 2 ton plus car very swiftly in the 1st 2 or 3 gears. Do nothing else to a stocker ZF auto but change out the diff gears and you have a totally different experience. Engine is capable of making power right up to 6300 - 6500 RPM out of the box so no probs....... Just my opinion.
I thought it was mainly not making any torque below 4000 rpm and running out of rpm up top because the stroke is longer than the six .?

Bit tough comparing a 40 year old technology clevo .... but I know which I'd rather have to start up a build

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 18-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #120
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The 2.73 diff ratio didn't hurt the "little brother", the XR6T/G6ETs. The real problem the 5.4 had was the T6.

Whilst the GT has the name, the F6 has the gun engines. Aussie built engines that made so much torque throughout the rev range that Ford had to bring out the Miami as the 5.4 wouldn't hold a candle to it. HSVs couldn't compete until they finally introduced the LSA.
IMO, the FPV F6 will be the car to own in the future for Ford fans.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread