Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2022, 05:02 PM   #91
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Picked up a new D-Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Nah but I've driven every Falcon ute from an XF onwards up to an FGII.

Sounds like the 2022 Ford Ranger has finally caught up to the ride and compliance of the AU Falcon ute

Out of curiosity, what did a PG Ford Courier ute cost new for a povvo spec 4x2 and what was a povvo spec tray back AU Falcon ute worth?

Curious to see the turn around in pricing, say compared to FGX tray back ute to PXII/PXIII Ranger 4x2 and now that there's no Falcon what the new Ranger in povvo spec 4x2 is worth.
Yes, but none of those utes are 4X4. Apples and oranges.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 05:31 PM   #92
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I'm more curious to know why every dual cab 4X I've spotted lately has roll out awnings, dual spare wheels, jerry cans, steel dog boxes, huge roof racks, vast external lighting and general camping gear hanging off them and that's the cities ones.
By the time the passengers get in, it would be close to GVM.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #93
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I'm more curious to know why every dual cab 4X I've spotted lately has roll out awnings, dual spare wheels, jerry cans, steel dog boxes, huge roof racks, vast external lighting and general camping gear hanging off them and that's the cities ones.
seems there is big money in 4x4 accessories
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #94
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Yes, but none of those utes are 4X4. Apples and oranges.
Doesn't matter - the 4x2 versions also ride like **** compared to a Falcon.

So why do they still ride so badly in comparison?

Both Falcon utes and the 4x2 Thailand Specials are RWD, have leaf springs and have 1000kg+ payloads.

But one steers, stops and rides much better than the other - why could that be?

Its not apples and oranges at all because they're all 4x2 and 'commercial vehicles'.

If you want to go one bigger - how come the American utes ride much more comfortably than the Thailand Specials? Those also come in 4x4 variations.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-08-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #95
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
If you want to go one bigger - how come the American utes ride much more comfortably than the Thailand Specials? Those also come in 4x4 variations.
Nice long wheelbase helps without the payload area sticking out beyond the rear axles.

Old 29-08-2022, 06:37 PM   #96
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Pre-pandemic I went for a ride in my cousin's NP300 Navara, it was bloody rough compared to the Ranger, I was really surprised, I considered buying one because of the 4 coils, but the ****y 2 litre put me off. My cousin had changed the wheels and tyres to some aftermarket things, so I am not sure if that is what buggered the ride, but it was terrible
The earlier versions of the NP300 were too soft in the rear, customers were annoyed because they rode on the bump stops, even with minimal weight. Nissan responded and the result is a harsher ride.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #97
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because they take them out on weekends? Out near me they are everywhere getting them muddy.
Main roads out of the blue mountains on a Sunday is full of muddy 4wds with all the gear.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 06:59 PM   #98
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Because they don't attract attention from police (yet).

Quote:
Queensland caravan crackdown reveals majority of rigs noncompliant

Caravan owners are being urged to weigh their rigs after a recent blitz found most of the vehicles were either over the weight limit or had issues with load distribution.

He said the most common cause was people adding accessories to their vehicle and caravan without factoring in the impact it had on their load.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-...ance/101130762

No one knows what any of that **** means when you buy a new car and a caravan then put everything including the kitchen sink in it.

Until someone directs you over a weigh bridge.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-08-2022 at 07:07 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 07:38 PM   #99
GT1533

Quote:
Almost every privately owned Ranger I see has some type of supplementary headlights - either spots or LED bars - because the OE lights are just pathetic. About equivalent to candles inside jam jars. Another area where we took a big backward step from the Falcon.
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #100
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Haha some of you guys are funny….
Once upon a time people would whinge about the noisy and lowered utes not done to compliance - remember those days.
We even had dufess’s lower coils with welders and or lowered without shortened shocks and coils untrapping over speed humps or when airborn and let’s not forget talking about dual cab drum brakes over powered utes but still with the stock brakes.
Too funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 12:23 AM   #101
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

Both Falcon utes and the 4x2 Thailand Specials are RWD, have leaf springs and have 1000kg+ payloads.

Its not apples and oranges at all because they're all 4x2 and 'commercial vehicles'.

still doesn't compare apples with apples.
One is a Jap OE who only cared about selling their range of commercial vehicles, nothing was about the ride but for doing the job.
They buck like a horse because they are lighter than a Falc and their OE suspensions are crap.
Compare say a 85 2WD Hilux weight to a 85 XF ute.
Anyone correct me no worries but that Lux is around 1165 the XF 1400 to 1600 ?
Falcon even in ute form has always been known as smoother riding vehicle for what they were whereas as the Holden DNA here was firmer suspension settings.
Strangley both being OE American owned companies were opposite to their mother land though FOA was closer to a degree.
As I mentioned, pick any yanky vehicle from sedan to large pick up the term boulevard ride came to be known long ago.
Their pick ups have always had soft shock damping forces matched to their coils and leafs.
I've sent countless sample shocks form here on behalf of customers and the Engineering guys would always say how firm damping forces were compared to their market generally.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 02:22 AM   #102
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because they don't attract attention from police (yet).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-...ance/101130762

No one knows what any of that **** means when you buy a new car and a caravan then put everything including the kitchen sink in it.

Until someone directs you over a weigh bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
Easy to check, drive by a weighbridge to disprove him. Wouldn't you be carrying a manifest showing payload weight anyway.

Not a lot of them understand the consequences.....you go over the GVM no insurance plus everyone's life's put at risk , insurance companies go through them with a fine tooth comb and anything can catch you out low rated tow balls brake systems Tyre ratings etc

Years ago a fella over here had a big accident closed the highway for half a day ....he was in a land cruiser or range rover some sort of SUV had a trailer behind with a dismantled Cessna on it and other bits and pieces ....lost control down a big hill (probably loaded wrong) had a head on took out a late model BMW or similar about 3 people in hospital....exceeded the GVM ,no insurance lost the plane trailer and the 2 vehicles would have been a huge bill ......people don't think of the consequences or even understand the rules

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 07:41 AM   #103
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Funny you should mention that as I recently had an interesting exchange with my Manager when discussing payloads.
They have a small Hino truck with a 3.1t payload, I turned up one day to see 3 pallets of copy paper on it. A box of paper weighs 13kg, x 80 boxes on a pallet is 1040kg, plus pallet of 30kg for a total of 1070kg.
3 pallets of it weighs 3.21t.
I questioned it and the Manager says I buy 24 pallets at a time and the receipt says 24 pallets weighs 24t so each pallet of paper is 1t and 3 is 3t so youre legal.

I said great, if i get pulled over the scales I'll tell them you'll bring your invoice down and that should override the over weigh its showing...NOT.
And is that payload before or after you account for the tray/body it's fitted with?
Had one courier turn up once with a pallet of 25Kg bags on the back....turned out there was 39 on the pallet and one on the front seat so that if pulled over by VicRoads he had less that 1 tonne on the tray....and probably would have prayed they didn't look in the cabin....or weigh him as well.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 07:43 AM   #104
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's a bit like comparing a Caprice to a Commodore....which one rides better if both using same spring/shock rates.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #105
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
And is that payload before or after you account for the tray/body it's fitted with?
Had one courier turn up once with a pallet of 25Kg bags on the back....turned out there was 39 on the pallet and one on the front seat so that if pulled over by VicRoads he had less that 1 tonne on the tray....and probably would have prayed they didn't look in the cabin....or weigh him as well.
Body included.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #106
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
Almost every privately owned Ranger I see has some type of supplementary headlights - either spots or LED bars - because the OE lights are just pathetic. About equivalent to candles inside jam jars. Another area where we took a big backward step from the Falcon.
SZII territory also has pretty bad Headlights, was the FG any better? sorry this argument doesn't stack up.
Old 30-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #107
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Because they take them out on weekends? Out near me they are everywhere getting them muddy.
Main roads out of the blue mountains on a Sunday is full of muddy 4wds with all the gear.
Do you really need all that crap for a weekend away.
You would think they would make this stuff quick release so you can take it off for the weekdays, would save a few buck in fuel I would imagine or is it pose value.

This user likes this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 10:02 AM   #108
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You would think they would make this stuff quick release so you can take it off for the weekdays, would save a few buck in fuel I would imagine or is it pose value.
Why does it bother you how other people choose to do things?
Old 30-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #109
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Having been camping with one of these 4wds with all the “crap”. I can absolutely say yes. All very handy makes for a better and easier experience.

Those with all this “crap” attached to them are generally pretty passionate about 4wding and camping. Who are you to question that?
Old 30-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #110
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Having been camping with one of these 4wds with all the “crap”. I can absolutely say yes. All very handy makes for a better and easier experience.

Those with all this “crap” attached to them are generally pretty passionate about 4wding and camping. Who are you to question that?
I'm questioning it from a safety point of view. Those awnings stick out beyond the vehicle dimension are a good example.

Old 30-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #111
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm questioning it from a safety point of view. Those awnings stick out beyond the vehicle dimension are a good example.
Aw c,mon Rok now you are being realistic.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 10:27 AM   #112
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe just stay at home. It’s dangerous out there.
Old 30-08-2022, 10:34 AM   #113
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Maybe just stay at home. It’s dangerous out there.
Will do. It is. Jacked up, overweight, top heavy 4x4 rolling over blocking the freeways every weekend.

Old 30-08-2022, 02:46 PM   #114
Swordie

The Mux sounds like it would handle better than the D-Max.

I'd consider Mux if needed to do allot of touring with 4wd capability.

I was surprised when I herd old gen (now) Ranger was only 2wd in normal driving.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #115
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post

I was surprised when I herd old gen (now) Ranger was only 2wd in normal driving.

I thought there were full time 4WD

but assuming it has an Auto setting I don't actually know.

Switching from 4wd to 2wd when 4wd is not required is a good thing, it will save fuel usage and tyre wear.

certainly not a negative.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #116
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I m with Rokwiz. I guess as we are both driving commercial vehicles we do (well I do) have an inbuilt bias against 4x4 utes.
A significant proportion of the drivers of these vehicles tailgate brake late change lanes late and speed and when you are on the road all day its just gets to be a massive fxxkfestival.
And again as commercial vehicles drivers we might drive to minimise fuel useage. Again a significant proportion of 4x4 drivers drive to maximise fuel useage.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #117
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
I m with Rokwiz. I guess as we are both driving commercial vehicles we do (well I do) have an inbuilt bias against 4x4 utes.
A significant proportion of the drivers of these vehicles tailgate brake late change lanes late and speed and when you are on the road all day its just gets to be a massive fxxkfestival.
And again as commercial vehicles drivers we might drive to minimise fuel useage. Again a significant proportion of 4x4 drivers drive to maximise fuel useage.
Watch out mate, they might start throwing jerry cans at us.

Old 30-08-2022, 05:31 PM   #118
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Yep nothing like being stuck behind a convoy of 8x Maui camper vans loaded to the max with tourists with no idea where they're going and thinking it's OK to all stop in the middle of the highway when ever they want to look at something

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #119
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Yep nothing like being stuck behind a convoy of 8x Maui camper vans loaded to the max with tourists with no idea where they're going and thinking it's OK to all stop in the middle of the highway when ever they want to look at something
Just the ticket on a winding hilly mountainous road in Aotearoa
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2022, 08:02 PM   #120
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
I find the bigger safety issue when I'm driving my lifted Patrol that's setup for offroad use on the highway is the glare from and the annoyance of watching a truck with a thousand extra clearance lights on it rocking from side to side when travelling.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post