Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 18-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I really REALLY hope and pray that the deniers and those calling “chicken little” are correct with their prophesies!
BUT, what if you’re NOT?
This isn’t just Australia spruiking your so called “media fear”!..
So far 140 countries are infected World feckin wide! Are they ALL part of this massive conspiracy??
Where I live, even though our numbers are low at 41 infected, zero deaths (SO far) it has been taken incredibly seriously! (As it has in the rest of Central America) Borders closed, bars, nightclubs, farmers markets and most social gatherings totally shut down!
This will be absolutely devastating for an economy like Costa Rica that’s so reliant on tourism... WHY would they commit economic suicide, if they didn’t believe the threat to be genuine???
As for my earlier post on possible Australian fatalities... This was released by Australia’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer... Not conjured up by some sensationalistic 2nd rate newspaper!
You guys shunning all the suggested public advice about social distancing and interaction guidelines with others (because you’ve heard it’s all a “con” and/or doesn’t affect your age group) Is just plain bloody selfish, and possibly even DEADLY to the rest of the population!
You want to take that risk???
I’m one of the biggest conspiracy theorists, and was also a doubter when this Coronavirus thing first broke...
Not anymore! These are dire, history changing times people!
Treat it seriously at your own peril!!!
We will soon know who is right Charlie.

Apparently Holland is using the herd immunity approach.

Get infected, get over it and life goes on.

Or something like that.

The Dutch government aims to build COVID-19 immunity in its population by letting large numbers get the virus at a controlled pace, while the UK's chief science officer has previously said its government would aim to build up a "herd immunity".

Discussions of "herd immunity" are different when it comes to COVID-19, because it's not known what percentage of the population needs to be immune to protect people who are vulnerable.

Right now, it's being suggested between 70 and more than 80 per cent of people could need immunity from COVID-19 to protect the rest of the community.

Medical experts are still uncertain whether coronavirus infection creates immunity, or how long that immunity might last. There's no vaccine, so there's no option to build immunity in the population without people developing the illness and therefore the possibility of severe consequences.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...y-on-covid-19/
Old 18-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
XC-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
We will soon know who is right Charlie.

Apparently Holland is using the herd immunity approach.

Get infected, get over it and life goes on.

Or something like that.

The Dutch government aims to build COVID-19 immunity in its population by letting large numbers get the virus at a controlled pace, while the UK's chief science officer has previously said its government would aim to build up a "herd immunity".

Discussions of "herd immunity" are different when it comes to COVID-19, because it's not known what percentage of the population needs to be immune to protect people who are vulnerable.

Right now, it's being suggested between 70 and more than 80 per cent of people could need immunity from COVID-19 to protect the rest of the community.

Medical experts are still uncertain whether coronavirus infection creates immunity, or how long that immunity might last. There's no vaccine, so there's no option to build immunity in the population without people developing the illness and therefore the possibility of severe consequences.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...y-on-covid-19/
It’s been quoted so many times already, there’s no scientific evidence that herd amunity will work... why take the risk?
Old 18-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC-351 View Post
It’s been quoted so many times already, there’s no scientific evidence that herd amunity will work... why take the risk?
And the proof that locking ourselves away for period wont just extend the total duration?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
This user likes this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is very illuminating.

That Covid 19 in most young, healthy, people with no other co-morbidities will result in some 2 weeks of possibly feeling a little lousy only, misses the point.

Covid 19 is a virus that has a long shelf life for hands to pick up, and it now appears able to be transferred from Covid 19 asymptomatic person to healthy person- within a couple of metres radius of the asymptomatic Covid 19 person.

What the self isolation policy is directed at is slowing the spread of Covid 19 to a steady manageable stream so that our health facilities can deal with the old, feeble, co-morbidity patients who need oxygen and intensive medical assistance as well as the usual case load unrelated to Covid 19.

If the country does not self isolate and attempt to do so, we end up in a situation like Italy, where infection rates have ballooned, the medical facilities are totally overwhelmed, the medical staff make an assessment that a very sick old person with Covid 19 is not worth the meagre medical resources available as against a young person with co morbities and Covid 19, and provide the old person with no medical treatment and that person is left to their own resources- namely leave that poor sod to die.

Australia is trying to prevent this, string out the Covid 19 infections so that our health facilities can cope and can provide ALL AUSTRALIANS with medical help if they need it.

This attitude of bugger me I am right jack -I am healthy- so what if old or sick farts die from Covid 19, is so at odds with our grandparents who went and fought in the First World War who did so believing they were defending their country- put their country and family in front of themselves.

To a certain extent this self interested me first bugger the rest attitude in Australia has also pervaded our politics- playing on the selfish self interest instead of the greater good.

At least now Australia has realised what this is all about, acting a bit less selfish, self isolating and being careful, to help our health systems be in a position to provide treatment to those truly in need of medical treatment.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
4 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
And the proof that locking ourselves away for period wont just extend the total duration?
Yes and that is the idea...spread the total duration so the medical system can cope with the number of cases instead of being flooded with thousands at once and having to make decisions on who lives and dies.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 02:58 AM   #6
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I liken the approach by some of the “gung ho”, “she’ll be right mate” attitudes in this thread to someone possibly infected with AIDS, not telling their sexual partners!!
A possible death sentence because of one’s own greed, and perceived infallibility!
Wake up guys!!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 18-03-2020, 03:20 AM   #7
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Another reason that this virus has the capability to be particularly devastating to Australia (and the Southern Hemisphere) is our seasons.
Whilst the North is coming into warmer months, Winter in Australia is not that far away, when every 2nd person has the sniffles etc...
We are far from the eye in the storm yet... I hope not, but I fear this is going to get a hell of a lot worse, before better?
Take care all, and for once... let’s abide by the advice the authorities are pushing!
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 18-03-2020, 04:06 AM   #8
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

covid 19 is a problem because it can cause respiratory failure in the elderly or those with pre-existing conditions.
Instead of doing what we can/could to protect the elderly, healthier younger people at less risk are raiding the supermarkets, or were freely travelling to and from Europe or the USA recently - including dumbarsed dutton.
Biggest threat to humanity is and has always been humanity.

Would have been better to suspend travel/forced isolation earlier, look after the vulnerable (no exposure to them if been overseas, been in contact from anyone overseas, or even later (now) been out in large group events. The only people needing isolation right now is people that visit or work with the risk groups, and that group themselves take measures themselves.

To have everything presented to us in drips and drabs as it was is pathetic. Advice keeps changing because they want to keep the status quo because that's always been good for the conservatives and they know no different (they fight to protect the good thing they've got going on).

The core message I said above should have been said and carried out very early on. But quick early steps aren't the hallmark of a conservative gov in general, and not morrison especially.
how good is that?

Last edited by oldel; 18-03-2020 at 04:17 AM.
Old 18-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

...plus it'll be interesting to see if 'herd immunity' becomes 'thinning the herd'.

It all sounds a bit anti-vaxxer to me.
Old 18-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If things get bad enough and we have to resort to cannibalism, just remember to eat the vegans first, cause they are the closest thing to grain fed.
Old 18-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #11
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just thinking well, it's a man made virus thing that has got out of control.
Now I may be wrong. but who is talking about such being the foundation of this that should be talked about and not hidden from such a view, why I say this is if the handful of people who truly control the world, like Rothschild's and their ilk, well this could destroy the economy, not just a recession but a full on depression, the foundations of the worlds economy are built on pure BS if anyone bothers to look into such, so it can crash that bad that every ones Super will be wiped out even totally.

Now if we let the virus run free, maybe most of the filthy dregs will be killed and the old and that would bring back the regrowth much better, I will be dead if I get it because my lungs are RS but I not worried about myself as I am ok to go and I do not like the new age world at all in fact I despise it all as it's become a creep show as morals have been turned upside down to service all the degenerates.

Look at Italy the hospitals have a system of who will be set aside to die, now do the people know the protocols, is it news worthy ? hushed up ? or is it minority's looked after first to apply Politically correct hell bent agendas. well I would not be surprised at all, just saying.
Old 18-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #12
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It feels Like I am living a science fiction film in real time ….

The images of the Yanks lining up to buy guns just cause they are preparing to blow everyone else away....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

The images of the Yanks lining up to buy guns just cause they are preparing to blow everyone else away....
Guns are useless against zombies! A sharpened stake through the heart (or is that vampires?)
5 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #14
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Guns are useless against zombies! A sharpened stake through the heart (or is that vampires?)
Zombies won't be an issue with all the brain dead people around.
Old 18-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #15
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:

Erngh! Wrong answer. They are buying guns to PROTECT what they have.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #16
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Erngh! Wrong answer. They are buying guns to PROTECT what they have.
Toilet Paper?
Old 18-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:

Read "The Death of Grass" as you don't understand why people buy guns.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 18-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #18
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
I was just thinking well, it's a man made virus thing that has got out of control.
Now I may be wrong. but who is talking about such being the foundation of this that should be talked about and not hidden from such a view, why I say this is if the handful of people who truly control the world, like Rothschild's and their ilk, well this could destroy the economy, not just a recession but a full on depression, the foundations of the worlds economy are built on pure BS if anyone bothers to look into such, so it can crash that bad that every ones Super will be wiped out even totally.

Now if we let the virus run free, maybe most of the filthy dregs will be killed and the old and that would bring back the regrowth much better, I will be dead if I get it because my lungs are RS but I not worried about myself as I am ok to go and I do not like the new age world at all in fact I despise it all as it's become a creep show as morals have been turned upside down to service all the degenerates.

Look at Italy the hospitals have a system of who will be set aside to die, now do the people know the protocols, is it news worthy ? hushed up ? or is it minority's looked after first to apply Politically correct hell bent agendas. well I would not be surprised at all, just saying.
FMD... will someone close this stupid thread
4 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #19
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Now I may be wrong. but who is talking about such being the foundation of this that should be talked about and not hidden from such a view, why I say this is if the handful of people who truly control the world, like Rothschild's and their ilk,
You left a few off the list of who controls the world https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMS6tGOACo
Old 18-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #20
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yikes first time look at this thread and the last. I'll close the door on my way out....

happy little bunch of Vegemites.....NOT
Old 18-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #21
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm right. I just purchased 5 years worth of Australian Army MREs off Guntree:

Old 18-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #22
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I'm right. I just purchased 5 years worth of Australian Army MREs off Guntree:

What's your address?
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #23
Pis-ton broke
Banned

for those that can,t get food.
try ; bikie stew, its one can of dog food, one can of baked beans and some tomato sauce. enjoy.
Old 18-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #24
Hippy
Man from Ironbark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
for those that can,t get food.
try ; bikie stew, its one can of dog food, one can of baked beans and some tomato sauce. enjoy.
no ya ***** geez its good , ya have not sucked tha milk
bloody city snowies ..
Old 18-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #25
marty351

Food is food!
Old 18-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #26
HIPO
Al

You'll all know the truth after the 10 days of darkness, which finishes 10-4-20.
This "virus" is quite mild..... not really Chinese either...…….the world is about to change for the better, for average "normal" peeps!..... flame away, this is my marker!
Old 18-03-2020, 04:48 PM   #27
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
You'll all know the truth after the 10 days of darkness, which finishes 10-4-20.
This "virus" is quite mild..... not really Chinese either...…….the world is about to change for the better, for average "normal" peeps!..... flame away, this is my marker!
And the first of the 10 days falls on April Fools' day.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Anyone else see that page from a book? Something about a virus originating in Wuhan in 2020.

Book is old, like 80's old.

Saw it on FB but can't find it now, wondering if it was legit?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 18-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Anyone else see that page from a book? Something about a virus originating in Wuhan in 2020.

Book is old, like 80's old.

Saw it on FB but can't find it now, wondering if it was legit?
Dean Koontz, 'The Eyes of Darkness' is the book you refer to.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #30
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Something I find very contradictory with regards to keeping the schools open is that schools have cancelled all off campus excursions bringing private transport companies to their knee's, yet the Government continue to tell us that mass gatherings of children in school environments is supposedly safe because word out of China is that Children are safe from the bug.
If children are safe from the bug and can congregate at school, why cant they congregate with fellow students on excursions and save an entire industry from collapse.
The mob I work for have a dozen coaches sitting idle as of last Monday morning and laid off as many drivers.

Another thing which makes me sceptical of the government stance with regards to children attending school is the regulations introduced yesterday about cleaning every surface after every school run with antibacterial solutions on the few remaining buses actively carrying children still , if the children are safe enough to go to school, why would they be susceptible to anything they can pick up on the bus all of a sudden if its the same children on the same bus every run.

It just doesn't make sense to me, those 15 children are no worse off sitting together on the bus than they are sitting together in class and I seriously doubt they're cleaning every school surface every day.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread