Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #91
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
People do realise there is an endless plethora of driver training avaliable to everyone right now dont they??
Many use these driver training or 'Advanced driving' as a way to improve their love of driving and see it as an extension of being a car enthusiast ..... those who do the daily trudge to work in their Echo wouldn't even consider doing one and would argue they are doing fine sitting in the RH Lane slowing down all those fast dangerous drivers who are the main problem.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #92
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

I totally agree with Skafie, but a lot of people need more driver training, & not just new learners, but experienced drivers too, & the police need to be out there enforcing the rules & coming down hard on those who break them, before this would work.
I do totally agree that the amount of speed limit changes needs to be addressed (especially in NSW), & school zones have to go. Yes I may do less damage to a child hitting them at 40 kph, but the fact that I'll hit them without even seeing them because I'm watching my spedo & not the road is a real possibility. I do actually spend more time watching the spedo than the road while I'm driving though school zones & I'd say most law o biding people do. Same with 40 kph "high pedestrian areas". When I was young I was taught about the dangers of the road & how to cross it safely, why isn't that taught to kids any more? These speed limits may be fine if cars were driving on the footpath, but the don't (normally), so why do people insist on walking on the road?
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #93
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Many use these driver training or 'Advanced driving' as a way to improve their love of driving and see it as an extension of being a car enthusiast ..... those who do the daily trudge to work in their Echo wouldn't even consider doing one and would argue they are doing fine sitting in the RH Lane slowing down all those fast dangerous drivers who are the main problem.
These right lane snails are so damn frustrating.... and their ambivalence, ignorance and at times contemptible arrogance to what they're doing is even worse...

Old 14-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #94
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Its allot harder to get your licence today than it was when i got mine 24 years ago...

For a recent example, got my licence in 2006, test lasted 10 mins of driving around and reverse park, back to vicroads, print licence... my test was over 20mins quicker than any friends of mine at the same age too.

Not sure if it has changed but there really should be a minimum period of testing duration.

Higher speed limits are a good idea 140km/h might be pushing it unless it for many people & older cars, which with Right lane syndrome in Australia is going to be a problem.

I'd be happy with a boost to 120km/h on Freeways and boosted to 110km/h on Highways inline with SA & WA (can't speak for other states)
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #95
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Higher speed limits are not the solution, eliminating bottle necks at either
end of the trip and shifting slow boof heads out of the right lane would be
a far more practical solution to motorists' daily frustrations.

The above would mean that governments and public servants would have
to actually do something and spend money...

Looks like the most practical solutions that eliminate problems also cut into
government revenue. So I guess we're fated to suffer wind bag politics....

Last edited by jpd80; 14-06-2010 at 11:08 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #96
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couple of bonnet mounted rocket launchers would fix up the oblivious right lane idiots......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #97
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Is there a link to the Channel 7 interview with Skaife anywhere? I missed it.
Old 14-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #98
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunday-night/video/#fop

There is also a poll on if enough is being done about speeding. If anything it should be asking if the 'right' things are being done and not blatant revenue raising etc.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #99
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tray
).most people i'd expect they would be too confident in them selves but loosing control of your car at 140km/h is much more dangerous than doing 100km/h. and incomming traffic it would be like 280km/h if you were to hit someone- which im sure you will be dead instantly.
Maybe if the car in the other lane had infinite mass... Look, this has been delt with before, two cars hitting head on at 140 is not equal to a 280 kph accident.
Old 14-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #100
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Higher speed limits are not the solution, eliminating bottle necks at either
end of the trip and shifting slow boof heads out of the right lane would be
a far more practical solution to motorists' daily frustrations.

The above would mean that governments and public servants would have
to actually do something and spend money...

Looks like the most practical solutions that eliminate problems also cut into
government revenue. So I guess we're fated to suffer wind bag politics....
And here is the problem.

Mention increasing speed limits and some people see wide open spaces and long distances.
Higher limits will make a huge difference here.

Others see short congested highway trips near major cities.
Higher limits will do very little here.

The loony car haters see (//) signs outside schools with kids being knocked over by sonic booms.

It is all about perception and most people only ever think about where they regularly drive. They only want to solve their own problems and ignore others.

Even in NT when the (//) was around it did not start until you were about 50km south of Darwin far away from any commuter traffic.

In QLD the only sections of the Bruce Hwy that could safely use greater than 110 are Caboolture to Coory (and then Curra by 2015) and Rockhampton to Sarina. All of the rest of it is far too congested or has too many little towns and blind intersections.

On the other hand once west of the Great Dividing Range the major highways could easily support higher speeds, long straight wide roads with little bush encroachment.

I suspect the other states are fairly similar but as almost all of the politicians and "academic experts" live in the major cities that is all they ever see.

Also there are many in power for whom any solution that reduces income is anathema and therefore will never be considered.

It comes down to replacing the recalcitrant with those who are more receptive to new ideas. Remember when you vote and if we all push hard enough, in the word of Rachael Hunter, "It won't happen overnight but it will happen".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #101
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

i am a believer that if your going to set a speed limit or then argue its merit in parliament to have any credibility you need to have DRIVEN it first.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #102
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And here is the problem.

Mention increasing speed limits and some people see wide open spaces and long distances.

The loony car haters see (//) signs outside schools with kids being knocked over by sonic booms.

It is all about perception and most people only ever think about where they regularly drive. They only want to solve their own problems and ignore others.

Even in NT when the (//) was around it did not start until you were about 50km south of Darwin far away from any commuter traffic.

In QLD the only sections of the Bruce Hwy that could safely use greater than 110 are Caboolture to Coory (and then Curra by 2015) and Rockhampton to Sarina. All of the rest of it is far too congested or has too many little towns and blind intersections.

On the other hand once west of the Great Dividing Range the major highways could easily support higher speeds, long straight wide roads with little bush encroachment.

I suspect the other states are fairly similar but as almost all of the politicians and "academic experts" live in the major cities that is all they ever see.

Also there are many in power for whom any solution that reduces income is anathema and therefore will never be considered.

It comes down to replacing the recalcitrant with those who are more receptive to new ideas. Remember when you vote and if we all push hard enough, in the word of Rachael Hunter, "It won't happen overnight but it will happen".

Couldnt have said it better myself.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #103
Spinner77

I sometimes wonder why a single-issue Drivers Party has not been set up, especially in NSW, where election to the Upper House is the easiest in Australia.

The idea would be in general to support the government of the day, of whatever complexion, but to bargain its vote to get progress on a small number issues of interest to drivers.

You need only 4.55 per cent of the vote to win a seat in the NSW Upper House, the Legislative Council.

(Here's how you work it out. Of the 42 seats, 21 come up for election every 4 years. So the quota for election to a single seat is 100/(21+1)=4.545. Like the Senate)
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #104
rodderz

Just watched the video, I agree 100% with what he has put foreward in the story. But how many pollies and people have/will watch it?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #105
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
And here is the problem.

For the record I live in Central Queensland, I apply my belief equally to city and country.
Increasing the average speed over most distances is key, we have situations where people
say, travelling the Bruce highway cannot average 100 kph over their journey due to the
myriad of small town bottle necks and local traffic, if more bypasses and overtaking lanes
were made, things would be better.
It's less about a 140 kph limit and more about 100 or 110kph uninterrupted...
Old 14-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #106
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
It is all about perception and most people only ever think about where they regularly drive. They only want to solve their own problems and ignore others
as you said - there is the problem. everyone complains their buts off, yet only about the things they see as injustice to them - injustice to anyone else does not and never has mattered

the nanny state thread is an example. some people want to sue others for their own mistakes and yet complain that we are too regulated
just recently a true nanny state issue rose in the sporting world and no body cared - why because it did not affect them, and yet it takes away our rights to free speech that we feel is so important

the 2nd paragraph is off topic i know, but it is all relevant. nobody cares for anyone but themselves and as you pointed out earlier - the majority want higher limits - but do not want to look into their own skill levels, do not want to pay more money for licensing, do not want to take old cars off the road etc. etc. etc.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #107
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
For the record I live in Central Queensland, I apply my belief equally to city and country.
Increasing the average speed over most distances is key, we have situations where people
say, travelling the Bruce highway cannot average 100 kph over their journey due to the
myriad of small town bottle necks and local traffic, if more bypasses and overtaking lanes
were made, things would be better.
It's less about a 140 kph limit and more about 100 or 110kph uninterrupted...
When you say Central QLD do you mean Rockhampton or Longreach?

Yes I agree the Bruce is a mess but from about Dingo west there is no reason why 130 or more cannot be traveled.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #108
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi the only way it will happen will be when all of OZ brings in a licence test like the German example and a car replacement program of the same order and it has 20 to 30 years behind it so most of the drivers on the road can handle the speeds we do now then increase the speeds on suitable roads Australia wide. Unluckily Mark wont sell this to a politician and the pollies wont be able to sell it to the public. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #109
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

I knew it would finally happen, after waiting so many years Skaifey has finally said something worthwhile.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #110
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
And here is the problem.

nailed it!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #111
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
These right lane snails are so damn frustrating.... and their ambivalence, ignorance and at times contemptible arrogance to what they're doing is even worse...
Yes, but on three laned sections where the left-lane is devoid of traffic for 26 million kilometres, the "keep-middle" brigade are just as much so.

Attachment below is Euro training diagram, used here at forum before, HK-China also uses it in their driver manual:-

See Rule 259 point 4, then "Lane Discipline" at Rule 264, Rule 265 will be of interest.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069862

And so it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Motorway Use 3 lane.gif (4.2 KB, 81 views)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 14-06-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #112
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
...and yet it takes away our rights to free speech that we feel is so important
I'm not arguing with anyone here, but do we constitutionally have the right to free speech in this country?
Old 14-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #113
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Yes, but on three laned sections where the left-lane is devoid of traffic for 26 million kilometres, the "keep-middle" brigade are just as much so.

Attachment below is Euro training diagram, used here at forum before, HK-China also uses it in their driver manual:-

See Rule 259 point 4, then "Lane Discipline" at Rule 264, Rule 265 will be of interest.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069862

And so it goes.
Yes.. strangly enough on most arterial roads around melbourne the left lane seems to be the one with the least congestion, and seems to flow the best.. its almost like people have the mindset "keep right" unless undertaking...

Old 14-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #114
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Whilst I commend Skaife (what am I saying) on the general intent of the program/report, its like comparing apples with oranges - Germany to Australia. A small land area with more population = much better roads.

Skaife drives down a section of the newest hwy in Oz and says he can't understand why its only 100kph posted. I'll tell you why - its only two lanes each direction and its carrying many trucks in/out of industrial areas. A little different to a 4 lane autobahn where the trucks are over there in lane 1 and cars doing 160kph in lane 4

On a funny note, they showed Skaife standing on the side of the road watching the traffic. I half expected Russell Ingall to appear!
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #115
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When you say Central QLD do you mean Rockhampton or Longreach?

Yes I agree the Bruce is a mess but from about Dingo west there is no reason why 130 or more cannot be traveled.
Gladstone but I travel to the central Highlands and Brisbane quite a bit.
People tend to make up their own rules when the law is not around and that's
fine provided they are aware of hidden dangers. A few years back on a quick
night run back to the Central Coast, I nearly ran into a heard of cattle on the
road a about 10 pm at night...

I believe Skaife was not talking about speed limits back of whoop whoop,
he was talking about different speeds for heavily trafficked areas.

Look out for the speed camera coming into Duringa,
all the locals know about it but the city folk get hammered...

Last edited by jpd80; 14-06-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 14-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #116
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
I'm not arguing with anyone here, but do we constitutionally have the right to free speech in this country?
I read on another forum that technically we don't have free speech constitutionally here.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #117
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
I read on another forum that technically we don't have free speech constitutionally here.
Correct,we do not have a 'Bill of Rights' as many other countries do. Therefore we have no rights per se.

Anyway BOT,Skaife is right but we do need to tighten up the learning/ testing system. Then we can start on the roads and cars.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #118
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
AND THOSE DRIVING IN THE RIGHT HAND LANE ON EAST LINK AT 97mph ...... MOVE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeez how fast are you driving down eastlink....

I agree with the increase, but people's attitude on driving have to change. Also making sure the vehicle is up scratch is very important. It is funny that as cars are getting much safer (well most), handle better and can handle higher speeds that we are driving slower now!

Also if this were done in the country (where it would be very beneficial), the roads would need to be at least two lanes on each side and some sort of barrier in the middle.
Old 14-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #119
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Jeez how fast are you driving down eastlink....

I agree with the increase, but people's attitude on driving have to change. Also making sure the vehicle is up scratch is very important. It is funny that as cars are getting much safer (well most), handle better and can handle higher speeds that we are driving slower now!

Also if this were done in the country (where it would be very beneficial), the roads would need to be at least two lanes on each side and some sort of barrier in the middle.
Its the low limits at the moment causing the poor attitude. Attitudes will change if the driving conditions change. If the speed limits are low, people dont give a stuff. If limits increase, people will pay attention more. Its simple human behaivour, we have a canny way adapting to the task at hand. You cant change behaviour then decide to increase the limits, you'll be waiting a while...

I also think that in many parts of Australia having increase limits only on divided roads is not appropriate. Many single-lane roads for all intents and purposes are divided because there is very little oncoming traffic. Many roads im on 99% of the time there is no car next to me going the other way.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #120
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Its the low limits at the moment causing the poor attitude. Attitudes will change if the driving conditions change. If the speed limits are low, people dont give a stuff. If limits increase, people will pay attention more. Its simple human behaivour, we have a canny way adapting to the task at hand. You cant change behaviour then decide to increase the limits, you'll be waiting a while...
I also find many people are quite scared to start driving faster and faster, especially when others are around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I also think that in many parts of Australia having increase limits only on divided roads is not appropriate. Many single-lane roads for all intents and purposes are divided because there is very little oncoming traffic. Many roads im on 99% of the time there is no car next to me going the other way.
I do agree in areas where there is very little traffic, but there are a lot of highways that would need an upgrade for a 140kph limit be implemented.