Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #91
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XR8 pricing announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Basically the same colours as now, victory gold is the new one.
Yeh just found the article on car advice "Available in eight colours – Emperor; Kinetic (pictured); Lightning Strike; Silhouette; Smoke; Vanish; Winter White; and Ford’s new Victory Gold"

What's Vanish?
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #92
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a really dark blue
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #93
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint347 View Post
I'm curious how existing GT/GS owners feel about the new spec/price?
Considering i picked up my 2014 GT for $65k drive away with stripes, leather, sat nav, Brembos etc and I now have Shockworks coilovers and some 275's on the rear...it honestly doesn't phase me in the slightest. Sure, the XR8 is a bargain...but it'll never be a GT and I, personally, much prefer the looks of my GT over the FGX. I'm sure Mr FPV will find a way to swap the ICC in the FG over to a sync 2 unit at some point anyway, if it really bothers me.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #94
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford have massively underestimated demand for the XR8. They plan on building like 46 a month.

And I don't think they can or will increase it. Great car, brilliant price, but good luck getting one. And that applies for autos and manuals too. They have done one time buys on a lot of equipment so once that runs out it's all over rover, no more can be built.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #95
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
When I opened the thread and saw the RRP my first thought was...'That's a steal'
Then I thought 'wonder how that price will sit with a particular section of the forum.

Been fairly quiet I thought...
Thats cause we're too busy enjoying our GTF's to come online!

I havent lost any sleep over the XR8. Its great! I'm happy they built it. But its no GTF!

Heck, I might buy a XR8 to mod and will leave the GTF stock. Either way, I think its silly for people to compare the two. Very different cars and their appeal is very different.

GTF is the most powerful Falcon EVER! The XR8 is NOT!

But if you have to ask, you've already missed the point...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #96
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ford have massively underestimated demand for the XR8. They plan on building like 46 a month.

And I don't think they can or will increase it. Great car, brilliant price, but good luck getting one. And that applies for autos and manuals too. They have done one time buys on a lot of equipment so once that runs out it's all over rover, no more can be built.
Hopefully they have also provisioned for sufficient spares for the next 10 years, or whatever the requirement is.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #97
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Of course, there are legal requirements surrounding that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #98
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG2-XR6 View Post
I got a contract.
$57.506 drive away

The only extra I asked for was matching spare wheel.
The dealers paperwork said it was standard
On Fords web page its $250 extra
According to the OP, the matching spare wheel is standard.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #99
Paul302351

if only they had a xr8 ute
Paul302351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #100
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post

GTF is the most powerful Falcon EVER! The XR8 is NOT!
I wouldnt get too far ahead of yourself, wait until this thing is tested before you make those claims. My idea of powerful is down the quarter and i think the XR8 will give the GTF a run for it's money.

What an awesome car, it's a real credit to ford, they have done this last XR8 justice. I wish the MRS could drive a manual and i would sell the FGXR6T in an instant for the XR8.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #101
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course it will give it a run, it's the same engine. The gtf is tuned to be more powerful though (not by much but it is)

Either way 1 is a gt the other an xr. There are inherent differences for those badges and what they deliver.

Edit: there is one badge that leads the way and the other follows. Nothing wrong with that it's a natural progression.

Current Rides
Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #102
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Kempy has just been quoted XR8 with prestige paint and auto $65k drive away.... 3.5k stamp duty+ dealer deliver + 12 month rego apparently it is

i think its a bit over the top ..what the hell are they charging for dealer delivery
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #103
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If we are talking 46/month then that still will be 1000 or so.
That is about double what the T3 production was.

Keep in mind there is alot of good quick cars at that price range, stuff like the Audi RS3, BMW M135, Golf R, WRX STI, SSV etc
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #104
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No surprise there, limited numbers available, desirable motor, I'd say quite a few dealers will charge a bit more. I had the same problem when I bought my car.

I can highly recommend coffee ford in Vic as a non gouging dealer.

Current Rides
Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #105
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
Kempy has just been quoted XR8 $65k drive away.... 3.5k stamp duty+ dealer deliver + 12 month rego apparently it is

i think its a bit over the top ..what the hell are they charging for dealer delivery
Looks like a few dealers are out to make some big bucks on this XR8, just like the GTF, what a joke some dealers are, really annoys me
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #106
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dealer delivery charges ***** me to tears. Such a croc

Everything we consume is delivered to a dealer, yet the automotive sales industry is the only one that holds it's hand out for it.

And they won't let you fly down and pick it up either.

They reckon "dealer delivery" is also to cover the time spent putting all those swirl marks in the paint etc
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #107
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And because the Australian dollar keeps slipping even if they did import more Coyote motors the price would probably have to be adjusted up to pay for the conversion rate.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #108
Tbm1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX335 View Post
Mate, I got onto them but I'm still not sure if I have one in the first allocation or not. I'm told that the model codes still aren't in the system, and that there is an allocation system that is currently down but should be back up on Monday.

When I spoke to them last week, I was told they had one in White, but they called around and secured one in Smoke for me. Now they aren't so sure and they need to wait for this system to come back up, and therefore unable to ascertain the BCB (?)

So tell me - were you able to get a firm price, were you able to actually order it and get a contract, and does the above line up with what you know? I feel like they have my deposit and know I only want Smoke, and I'm on the hook. Nothing is ever easy for me! :P

Just want to clarify for you,

The rrp pricing has been announced but not dealer pricing, so at this stage all they can do is price it at full rrp,

Also yes the ford Australia stock control system is down until Monday and back online on Tuesday as they are updating it,

I know my dealership can see what we have on order for the first allocation (finishes in feb), and it is not much at all, 5 cars until feb, two of which already have a name against it.

The cars that your dealer has coming should be able to have the colour you want put onto it.

But they can't make you a contract yet as there is no dealer model code, only ford ordering code.

Dealers order cars months in advance, they build each car the way they want it, and until it is locked in plant the specifics of the car can be changed, which is all done via the stock control system, which is currently down for updates, also means that we can't see the cars we have on order or get its NSC number to give some form of info to the committed customer
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #109
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbm1121 View Post
Just want to clarify for you,

The rrp pricing has been announced but not dealer pricing, so at this stage all they can do is price it at full rrp,

Also yes the ford Australia stock control system is down until Monday and back online on Tuesday as they are updating it,

I know my dealership can see what we have on order for the first allocation (finishes in feb), and it is not much at all, 5 cars until feb, two of which already have a name against it.

The cars that your dealer has coming should be able to have the colour you want put onto it.

But they can't make you a contract yet as there is no dealer model code, only ford ordering code.

Dealers order cars months in advance, they build each car the way they want it, and until it is locked in plant the specifics of the car can be changed, which is all done via the stock control system, which is currently down for updates, also means that we can't see the cars we have on order or get its NSC number to give some form of info to the committed customer
Awesome! So he is telling me what is really happening, now I can rest easy!

Thanks so much!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #110
Tbm1121

Quote:
Awesome! So he is telling me what is really happening, now I can rest easy!

Thanks so much!
No worries,

It is really quite frustrating for us too,

Our pricing comes out on the 17th, then you can talk about signing contracts shortly after that,
Keep in mind colour and tranny are the only options on the xr8, do get them to put fuel and mats on your contract.

Also with the stock system being down we can't amend orders for the 7days it's down, which puts everything behind schedule by a week on our end. Production starts for on sale cars real soon too
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #111
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbm1121 View Post
No worries,

It is really quite frustrating for us too,

Our pricing comes out on the 17th, then you can talk about signing contracts shortly after that,
Keep in mind colour and tranny are the only options on the xr8, do get them to put fuel and mats on your contract.

Also with the stock system being down we can't amend orders for the 7days it's down, which puts everything behind schedule by a week on our end. Production starts for on sale cars real soon too
I'm normally understanding but he wouldn't get back to me and it seemed a little off. But it was accurate so I'll sit back and let him do his job.

I really hope he can confirm a Smoke auto in the first run, as that is what I thought I secured last week. Not long to go now!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #112
Tbm1121

Quote:
I'm normally understanding but he wouldn't get back to me and it seemed a little off. But it was accurate so I'll sit back and let him do his job.

I really hope he can confirm a Smoke auto in the first run, as that is what I thought I secured last week. Not long to go now!
Just as an example, if this was the new mondeo, we wouldn't discuss price or ordering until we had model codes in the computer to do a contract against, due to the special circumstances we are trying to keep everyone happy and do things earlier than usual,makes us seem a little backwards, but that is because right now, it is.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #113
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint347 View Post
I'm curious how existing GT/GS owners feel about the new spec/price?
I paid $40k for a 3 year old GTE in April. I stretched to get it, so the XR8 would still be out of my price range. I am happy with what I got, and am happy for the lucky FGX XR8 owners - they are getting an awesome car; not a GT in name, but perhaps in spirit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #114
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I paid $40k for a 3 year old GTE in April. I stretched to get it, so the XR8 would still be out of my price range. I am happy with what I got, and am happy for the lucky FGX XR8 owners - they are getting an awesome car; not a GT in name, but perhaps in spirit.
Well said, the thing that makes the FGX XR8 significant is the fact that it is Ford Australia's LAST tilt at building a high performance V8 4 door saloon, LAST, no more, nana, that's it, but some don't seem to get........................those interested in buying one are so because the FGX XR8 is definitely NOT a FPV GT, but at the same time steals a little bit of its DNA in a cheeky way and also at a cracker price

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2014, 03:08 AM   #115
Pube Fury
Starter Motor

I have lost count of the number of times I have read the words "it will never be a GT" on this forum.

It goes without saying that something which is not a GT will never be a GT.

In the same way that a moped will never be a GT.

A Mars Bar will also never be a GT.

It appears that the self-worth of some is heavily dependant on having a badge on their boot depicting the 7th and the 20th letters of the alphabet.
Pube Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 AM   #116
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're right, to some the letters don't matter. And I never intended to say the XR8 is going to be bad as a result of it not being a GT. The XR8 will, I'm sure, be an awesome car and is fantastic value for money. If I hadn't of impulse bought a GT 6 months ago I'd probably be seriously considering an XR8. My post earlier, however, was in retort to the question that was posed by another user about how the XR8 makes those of us who bought GT's or GTF's feel.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #117
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pube Fury View Post
I have lost count of the number of times I have read the words "it will never be a GT" on this forum.

It appears that the self-worth of some is heavily dependant on having a badge on their boot depicting the 7th and the 20th letters of the alphabet.
There have been quite a few questions directed at GT owners. It's fair to respond to those, I think most responses have been polite while showing respect to both badges. Perhaps you should try it?

The way I see it one car always leads performance development of the falcon. That's the GT, that's why it has the prestige associated with its badge and that's why it costs more.

Then there is a car that follows. That's the XR8, that's why it's cheaper and doesn't get the goodies until a few years after the GT. That's also why there is no more Gt, the cost to develop one on FGX would be too great.

They are completely different vehicles for completely different markets.

As for self worth, nothing to do with it, it seems important to you though...

Current Rides
Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #118
GTMOND

Yep I agree the xr8 is excellent value, but you can not compare the XR8 and the GT even though they share similar DNA. The GT will always be distinctive from the XR8.
Either way we all should be happy and should not be arguing over this.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #119
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The XR8 isn't a GT, but to many in their late 20's through to late 30's it's our generations performance Icon, it has returned and the GT is no more.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #120
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

33 here, the GT is the performance icon for me. The XR8 is a fantastic bargain performance v8. Please don't generalise what the cars mean to entire age brackets.

Edit my 22yo brother in law and many of his mates also think the GT is the car to get. Before you ask, no I don't think this applies to everyone in that age bracket.

Current Rides