Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #91
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
All of this talk about the FG not having curtain airbags whilst other cars do is forgetting that the FG is still the safest family car with the highest ANCAP pointscore without requiring/having them.

The VE now scores 5 stars, but it's actual pointscore even - with the ridiculous viewrobbing A pillars and curtain airbags - is less than FG Falcon.
The score is for the front seat passengers only. ANCAP do not test rear seat passenger safety.

The VE protects the rear seat passengers with curtain airbags, the Falcon does not.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #92
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The score is for the front seat passengers only. ANCAP do not test rear seat passenger safety.

The VE protects the rear seat passengers with curtain airbags, the Falcon does not.

if ancap doesn't test passenger safety, how do you know the ve is better just because it has airbags?? couldn't the same be said for the rear as it is for the front?

airbag count is overrated.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #93
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup. These days, people just assume 20 airbags will save them, and DSC will stop them driving into a tree. The truth is, there's no constitution to a very well designed passenger safety cell. But that's not to say a curtain airbag won't save lives, even a well designed car cell cannot withstand the full force of human error, and in some cases, an airbag can mean the difference between life or death. It's a tough call. If Ford can offer both a secure passenger cell (they have that) with the benefit of a side curtain airbag then we get the best of both worlds. The fact is curtain airbags could potentially save a life, and if you can't afford $300 for this on a $40,000+ car, then there is a bigger issue than Ford not making it standard in the first place.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #94
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Yup. These days, people just assume 20 airbags will save them, and DSC will stop them driving into a tree. The truth is, there's no constitution to a very well designed passenger safety sell that's strong. But that's not to say a curtain airbag could save lives, even a well designed car cannot withstand the full force of human error, and in some cases, an airbag can mean the difference between life or death. It's a tough call. If Ford can offer both a secure passenger cell (they have that) with the benefit of a curtain airbag then we get the best of both worlds. The fact is curtain airbags could potentially save a life, and if you can't afford $300 for this on a $40,000+ car, then there is a bigger issues than Ford not making it standard in the first place.

Air bags are more to stop injuries, as a person moves around in the cabin they tend to hit things that a seatbelt will not prevent.

Either way the XT is the only one without the curtain air bags. Most families would be buying something better then an XT when Ford are doing good deals on G6's and XR6's.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #95
prydey
Rob

i sometimes wonder how people have survived up until now. the way some people carry on you'd think a car without airbags is a death trap. how did people manage to stay on the black stuff before airbags and electronic aids?? absolute miracle!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #96
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My first car was a Morris 1100 !!!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #97
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Air bags are more to stop injuries, as a person moves around in the cabin they tend to hit things that a seatbelt will not prevent.

Either way the XT is the only one without the curtain air bags. Most families would be buying something better then an XT when Ford are doing good deals on G6's and XR6's.
XR's dont come with curtain airbags.. And they are supposedly the performance models where people might try a bit harder... Makes no sense.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #98
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Unless it has changed (and Ford's website not updated), the curtain airbags are only standard on the G6E, optional below that even XR6T/XR8. I agree, I don't understand why ford leave themselves open for this sort of criticism for $300 per car. Not to mention it shows a compromise that for example the Mondeo does not have.

Will be interesting to see the pricing and also the new Havana colour.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #99
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I thought the updated series will have curtain, but the XT's won't.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #100
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought the updated series will have curtain, but the XT's won't.
Nope. The utes got side/thorax airbags (the XR6 and XR6T I'm sure got it, not sure about R6) as standard making their count four.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #101
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Ahh, must have misread this:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mel...A2576FE0025F729

Quote:

Similarly, while head-protecting front side airbags are standard across the Falcon sedan range, curtain airbags that also protect rear passengers remain optional at base level in the Falcon, unlike its locally-built large-car rivals
Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #102
macarthurford
Starter Motor

I dont think 6 different models is a problem as long as Ford promote it as a value added product??......ie same good price $36990 d/a plus these extra features!!
macarthurford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #103
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
My first car was a Morris 1100 !!!
I 1st learn't to drive in a Morris 1100.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #104
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

i don't know about you guys, but i was looking forward to hearing about the 50th anniversary falcons & i've got to admit i'm a bit dissapointed. I assumed (& we all know the saying) that the model would be based on the base model FALCON & celebrate 50 years of a FALCON not of a XR or the G series..(have either of these been around for 50 yrs). I was thinking they would do something similar to the 25th anniversary falcons which were dressed up base models which stood out on the road & still do when you see them not just tart up a version which has not been around as long. Who would have liked a falcon with G6E rims, XR height, leather interior, nice 50th anniversary badging as per the first logo seen a little while ago, selected colours (2 or 3) maybe a build plate & finally a choice of in line 6, turbo of an 8? to me it seems like a hollow celebration, xr6 & G series bases just don't feel right to me.
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #105
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why anyone would want to "dress" up an XT is crazy talk!!! Talk about missing 90% of what your customers are buying!

You want a dressed up XT, buy an XR6!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #106
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000
I assumed (& we all know the saying) that the model would be based on the base model FALCON & celebrate 50 years of a FALCON not of a XR or the G series.
This isn't what the Falcon is about anymore, and to base it on the XT would have missed what the market wants. What they have done is based these models of the highest selling models, made them a bit more special, they have different wheels, new colours, badging and tons of kit. I think they have done well, especially spreading it across a range of vehicles. I'd love a whole new look for the 50th Version, but that's unrealistic. They are more than just badge cars, they are packed full of features! The days of XT based SR and Classic models is over, people want feature packed G Series models and XR models that pack a punch.

While this doesn't pay a great a tribute to the Falcon of old, as they were affordable, packed cars, it's a reflection of what the Falcon has transformed into, in the 21st century. It's no longer a fleet hack, not a taxi car, it's a premium Australia built car that's desirable to private buyers now too.
Old 24-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #107
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

Just a heads up, I have noticed we have been selling a few turbo utes and G6ET's in 50th Anniversary already, and these particular models are very limited in numbers from what I can see compared to NA 6 models. So if you are keen on one I wouldn't wait too long and pop in to your local dealer.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #108
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Any real pictures of those 19'' rims..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #109
BeansNoMore

...and whilst we are searching for a real pic of the rims, could we also look for a real pic of "Sunburst" - Thanks
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #110
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...92#post3210092

Quote:
Car Pool: Ford G6E 50th Anniversary Edition
Steve Colquhoun
September 4, 2010

What we've been driving lately.

The price: From $47,950 drive away

Vital statistics: 4.0-litre, 6-cyl petrol; 195kW/391Nm; 6-sp auto; 9.9L/100km, 235g/km CO2; RWD.

The tester: Steve Colquhoun

Why we're driving it:

Ford is celebrating the Falcon's 50th anniversary with limited-edition runs of some models, including the premium G6E sedan.

Sharp drive-away pricing and extra goodies including sat-nav, 19-inch alloy wheels, 50th anniversary-embossed leather seats and unique badges, accents and interior trim add up to savings of more than $10,000, the company says.

The sat-nav on a large, legible screen adds to the premium feel, while the smoky-grey cabin trim and body enhancements look classy.

The effortless pulling power of the torquey inline six impresses. The intuitive six-speed auto is one of the smoothest around.

The steering feels meaty and responsive. The customisable trip computer is one of the best in the business.

Dislikes:

The steering wheel doesn't look or feel as premium as it should. The driver's footrest is on the wrong angle.

Using your phone via Bluetooth doesn't automatically mute the audio volume. Boot floor has an odd indentation that makes packing large items difficult.

Would I buy one?

What I like about the G6E are the big-ticket items — eager engine, smooth transmission and confident ride.

The things I don't like are relatively minor quibbles. Are they enough to bring the whole package down?

Well, Holden's Calais is the logical competitor and it, too, has a few minor annoyances but lacks the overall polish of the Falcon drivetrain or cabin ambience.

As large, locally built sedans with a premium feel go, it's the one to choose at this price.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald
Old 05-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #111
g220ba
FGX XR8

I don't understand why they continue to complain about the indentation in the boot floor. I've always found it to be extremely helpful in keeping smaller items from roaming the boot floor.

It seems it's no good just because it's different.

However not a bad write up and if they're the only negatives they can come up then it's not bad at all.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #112
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
I don't understand why they continue to complain about the indentation in the boot floor. I've always found it to be extremely helpful in keeping smaller items from roaming the boot floor.

It seems it's no good just because it's different.

However not a bad write up and if they're the only negatives they can come up then it's not bad at all.
I agree, the boot floor is perfect for grocery shopping making it easy to stack things against the lip. Only problem I had was when travelling OS and had large suitcases. Took 2 goes to fit them. Unfortunately I don't travel OS every week so it might be a once-a-year problem, lol. As for the bluetooth, it mutes as soon as the call connects which I agree as a preference should take place earlier when you hit your phones call button, once again you get used to it even though I alternate between my Ford and another vehicle which mutes on pressing the call button.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #113
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Not sure why this isn't working for them, maybe he didn't actually take or received a call, the blue-tooth doesn't knock the sound out until the call has acctally connected.
You dial it rings and the music is still playing soon as the connection is there the music is cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Source: The Sydney Morning Herald
Using your phone via Bluetooth doesn't automatically mute the audio volume.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 05-09-2010 at 10:47 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #114
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
I don't understand why they continue to complain about the indentation in the boot floor. I've always found it to be extremely helpful in keeping smaller items from roaming the boot floor
I agree, I love the boot design... great for shopping
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #115
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a few 50th Anniversary XRs here (Brad Garlick Ford, Ryde). If i can find my damn camera cable i'll put a few pics up

Note: Silhouette XR6T 50th Anni with 19's looks HORN.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post