Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #91
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
If he had that many near misses, i think its him we should look at not others, i cover close to 4 times that amount of km a week and im lucky to have one 'close' call a month.
I tend to agree with you, im not sure what some people do to get themselves into "near death" experiences on a daily basis but its a concern there are people out there either pushing the limits that finely or that bad at anticipating or avoiding those situations....

Last edited by 4Vman; 25-01-2010 at 09:49 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #92
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was thinking, some of us after work every now and then like to do a few burnouts in the work carpark, this is off the street, the company owns the land and its completely ashphalted, the boss doesn't mind us doing it every now and then and when there is no customers around (after closing time), it's never dangerous as its a big car park and there are no pedestrians around or other cars as the other cars are behind the burnout line, there are 2 main roads adjacent my work, if the police saw us doing the burnouts and pulled in would they be able to charge us with anything or place us under the hoon laws?
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #93
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Was thinking, some of us after work every now and then like to do a few burnouts in the work carpark, this is off the street, the company owns the land and its completely ashphalted, the boss doesn't mind us doing it every now and then and when there is no customers around (after closing time), it's never dangerous as its a big car park and there are no pedestrians around or other cars as the other cars are behind the burnout line, there are 2 main roads adjacent my work, if the police saw us doing the burnouts and pulled in would they be able to charge us with anything or place us under the hoon laws?
Yes.... you'll be in big strife if the police catch you.

Old 26-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #94
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, going to have to be a bit more careful from now on.
So even if you do a small patch on your own property then your breaking the law?
Old 26-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #95
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks, going to have to be a bit more careful from now on.
So even if you do a small patch on your own property then your breaking the law?
A registered motor vehicle is governed by the road traffic act even on private property.....

Its even more cut and dry in car parks.

Old 26-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #96
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an interesting one, thanks for clearing it up 4VMan, I honestly thought we couldn't get in trouble as it wasn't on a public road but private land and the burnouts were ok with the owner of that land, imagine all the people on farms who do some silly things with cars (I know of a few) that probably don't even realise they are breaking the law.
Old 26-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #97
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's an interesting one, thanks for clearing it up 4VMan, I honestly thought we couldn't get in trouble as it wasn't on a public road but private land and the burnouts were ok with the owner of that land, imagine all the people on farms who do some silly things with cars (I know of a few) that probably don't even realise they are breaking the law.
You can get done for drink driving on private property e.g: driving in a paddock....

Old 26-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #98
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
A registered motor vehicle is governed by the road traffic act even on private property.....

I was in Canberra recently, there was a group of louts performing burnouts on private property. I will notify the event organisers that this kind of conduct is illegal.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #99
menil
fg pursuit

Quote:

so if you do a burn out in a registered vehicle on a drag track (privately owned land ) the police can charge you under the hoon laws
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #100
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by menil
so if you do a burn out in a registered vehicle on a drag track (privately owned land ) the police can charge you under the hoon laws
I think you'll find there are waivers and exclusions that come into place for registered licensed motorsport venues and activities.

Similar to how the police view assault laws and sport...

Last edited by 4Vman; 26-01-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 26-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #101
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you'll find there are waivers and exclusions that come into place for registered licensed motorsport venues and activities.

Similar to how the police view assault laws and sport...
Is there anything you don't know?
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #102
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...728-10v4v.html

Quote:
First hoon car crushed MATT CAMPBELL
July 28, 2010 - 11:38AM

Victorian Police have used Twitter to warn young drivers about what could happen to their cars if they misbehave on the road.

Victorian Police have just crushed the first ‘hoon’ car since its tough anti-hoon policy came into play in 2006.
The Holden Commodore was videoed being crushed, and posted on social networking site Twitter, along with a number of choice captions, including “The result of hoon behavior (sic).”

The car belonged to a 22-year-old driver from Hamilton in Victoria who had caught driving recklessly on three occasions and was considered a public danger.

A media release from Premier John Brumby’s office said the driver of the car was a “serial hoon”, and Police Minister Bob Cameron says that the government is taking the firm stance to show drivers that “if they can’t learn to use their cars in a safe and responsible way, then we’ll take it off them.”

“Serial hoon drivers pose a serious threat to law-abiding road users,” says Mr Cameron.

“In the four years since we introduced our tough anti-hoon laws, Victoria Police have taken more than 11,370 hoon drivers off the road by impounding their cars.”

According to Mr Cameron, males under the age of 31 make up 81 per cent of hoon offenders, while 40 per cent of impounded cars are from P-platers.

“With a road toll that is higher than the same time last year and as part of our ongoing efforts to save lives on the roads, we are taking our laws further which will see hoon cars such as this one today crushed for good,” he says.

“Any car that is unfit for the road and fits the penalty criteria will be crushed, with others that are fit to drive sold and the proceeds directed towards victims of crime.”

The most common makes of car impounded by Victoria Police are – Holden (46.3 per cent); Ford (16.7); Nissan (7.8); Toyota (5.1); and Honda (4.3).

Just over five per cent (583 impoundments) were for a second offence, while less than two per cent (184) were for a third offence.

If you’re unsure why the car was missing one of its doors, that’s because the Commodore had been used by Victorian SES volunteers to practice their road rescue skills before it was crushed.
Old 28-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #103
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Age
“With a road toll that is higher than the same time last year and as part of our ongoing efforts to save lives on the roads, we are taking our laws further which will see hoon cars such as this one today crushed for good,”
I'd like to see a break down of how many road deaths were caused by 'hoon' behaviour.
I'm sick of this 'hoon' label, it's not hooning that kills on the road, it's not speed that kills on the road, it's someone doing something absolutely dickheadedly stupid that kills on the road.
I near want to throw something at the TV every time I see this new "Everybody hurts when you speed" campaign. It should be renamed "Everybody hurts when you die a stupid death and take your mates with you".
Every single headline grabbing road death involving multiple teenagers has been the result of total stupidity, not speed.

Dont get me wrong, I'm totally for the idea of crushing the cars of a multiple dick head offenders, just drop the 'hoon' label.
Old 28-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #104
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

I can already see it saving lives....

about as effective as Ken "needs to be lay'd" continual commitment to 'safety cameras'

would prefer to see him and a few polly's put in that same machine.

and I am going to laugh when they crush the first one under finance ;) who wants to be sued first? vic pol or vic gov?

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #105
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ok its off topic but you are wrong.... about private property (at least in QLD).

You can do what you like on private property, however if your farm has for instance a road which is a designated road/track open to your neighbour for access to his farm/paddock etc... then yes you can be booked.

However private property is not a road as definted by the Road ACT.

I can drive up and down my driveway within the boundaries of my property in my unregistered car blind drunk. If i make it to the footpath then im screwed..

Here is the relevant act in its glory:

Quote:
Division 1 Roads and road-related areas
11 Regulation applies to vehicles and road users on roads
and road-related areas
(1) This regulation applies to vehicles and road users on roads
and road-related areas.
(2) A reference in this regulation (except in this division) to a
road includes a reference to a road-related area, unless
otherwise expressly stated in this regulation.

Quote:
13 What is a road-related area
(1) A road-related area is any of the following—
(a) an area that divides a road;
(b) a footpath or nature strip adjacent to a road;
(c) an area that is not a road and that is open to the public
and designated for use by cyclists or animals;
(d) an area that is not a road and that is open to, or used by,
the public for parking vehicles.

Quote:
(2) However, unless the contrary intention appears, a reference in
this regulation (except this division) to a road-related area
includes a reference to—
(a) any shoulder of a road; and
(b) any other area that is a footpath or nature strip as defined
in the dictionary.
(3) In this section—
shoulder, of a road—
(a) includes any part of the road that is not designed to be
used by motor vehicles in travelling along the road; and
(b) includes—
(i) for a kerbed road—any part of the kerb; and
(ii) for a sealed road—any unsealed part of the road,
and any sealed part of the road outside an edge line
on the road; but
(c) does not include a bicycle path, footpath or shared path.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #106
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Ok its off topic but you are wrong.... about private property (at least in QLD).

You can do what you like on private property, however if your farm has for instance a road which is a designated road/track open to your neighbour for access to his farm/paddock etc... then yes you can be booked.

However private property is not a road as definted by the Road ACT.

I can drive up and down my driveway within the boundaries of my property in my unregistered car blind drunk. If i make it to the footpath then im screwed..

Here is the relevant act in its glory:

READ what i said again and then look at your example..... I said a REGISTERED vehicle, your example is of an unregistered vehicle.....

YOU are wrong, the act leaves enough area for open interpretation to ping you anywhere....

Here's one for you... try driving a tractor on your property blind drunk... not only will the police ping you but so will worksafe....

Last edited by 4Vman; 28-07-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 28-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #107
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
READ what i said again and then look at your example..... I said a REGISTERED vehicle, your example is of an unregistered vehicle.....

YOU are wrong, the act leaves enough area for open interpretation to ping you anywhere....
Ok here we go again....

You are saying it is illegal to drive a registered car on a private property while drunk.
However you are also saying its legal to drive drunk in an unregistered car as well?

Sorry but you cant have it both ways.
That act covers all... I.E: ALL the rules apply on a road and a "road related area".

Please explain where the act says that drink driving is illegal anywhere on private land in a "registered car" and legal in an unregistered car??
Id like to see this law.

And now to reply to the bit you just added after i replied:

Quote:
Here's one for you... try driving a tractor on your property blind drunk... not only will the police ping you but so will worksafe....
Wrong... Police cant do you for it.
Are you working as a contractor on a job?
Or does the tractor belong to you and your on your own property?
Be MORE specific.

Old 28-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #108
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

about time they fired that bloody crusher up.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #109
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

I'm not a Hoon, I'm a Driver... I have all 12 points and have had for several years and yet still peoplke class me as a hoon because I have big shiny wheels and a sports exhaust... This whole thing sucks, they should be called Road Abusers or something and +1 for adding REPEAT DRINK OFFENCES into the Mix

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #110
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theyll never do it for drink driving.. politicians, judges, lawyers and off duty cops flash new cars off to the CRUSH..??......
Old 28-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #111
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Goose stop acting like your user name

I got done many years ago for being asleep in my cay ( here in vic ) on our family farm blew .06 so yes you can get done for both being drunk and having an unregoed vehicle why do you think we have rego for farm equipment and vehicles

I was lucky i was just cautioned at court so no conviction

I beleive that if this stops morons being tools on the road then so be it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #112
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Hoon car?

A Standard VT Commodore Executive

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #113
xr6tmatty
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I'd like to see a break down of how many road deaths were caused by 'hoon' behaviour.
I'm sick of this 'hoon' label, it's not hooning that kills on the road, it's not speed that kills on the road, it's someone doing something absolutely dickheadedly stupid that kills on the road.
I near want to throw something at the TV every time I see this new "Everybody hurts when you speed" campaign. It should be renamed "Everybody hurts when you die a stupid death and take your mates with you".
Every single headline grabbing road death involving multiple teenagers has been the result of total stupidity, not speed.

Dont get me wrong, I'm totally for the idea of crushing the cars of a multiple dick head offenders, just drop the 'hoon' label.
You have got to be kdding yourself if you dont think hoons have to do with fatal car accidnes. Yeah a burnout aint going to kill on many occasion but it is these same ****** sticks that are killing people on the road and it is with speed. ive been to many fatal car accidents , as it is my job, and alot have to do with speed and when ya check these regos. bingo they have got many tickets for 'hooning' things.
xr6tmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #114
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Hoon car?

A Standard VT Commodore Executive
The car that got crushed is a mate of mine.. Any car that has the power to spin the wheels or get caught speeding is capable of being a hoon car. And for the record it wasnt standard, they took everything valuable off it before they crushed it.
Was impounded at the start of the year, suprised it took them up until now to do it.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #115
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_rossy
And for the record it wasnt standard, they took everything valuable off it before they crushed it.
But they left the red grill!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #116
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
Goose stop acting like your user name

I got done many years ago for being asleep in my cay ( here in vic ) on our family farm blew .06 so yes you can get done for both being drunk and having an unregoed vehicle why do you think we have rego for farm equipment and vehicles

I was lucky i was just cautioned at court so no conviction

I beleive that if this stops morons being tools on the road then so be it
Well im sorry if pointing out the law as it stands here in QLD is different to the rest of the country.
But I have never legislation which says that its illegal to operate a vehicle on private land.

The Road Act only covers roads.

By your definition and 4Vs then all road rules apply on private land.
Tell me when were the tracks on your property gazzetted?
What is the speed limit on your property?
Who says you need ot have a vehicle registered on a property?
Your insurance company or the road laws?

There is NO LAW saying YOU MUST have a vehicle registered to drive on private land.

Please prove otherwise...

The mere fact you admit Police just cautioned you proves they didnt have a leg to stand on.
And please tell us all the facts.
Did Police enter your property uninvited?
Where were you parked?

Old 28-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #117
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well in last weeks local paper a woman rang 000 to report some people drinking/causing trouble in public and was informed to ring the hoon hotline,she then informed them that they were not in vehicles and was then informed that it all comes under hoon laws now.this is why the hoon lwas are a total joke.dheads will always find a way to kill themselves no matter what
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #118
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for 1 the property is in the middle of country vic ( ballarat area well colac well geelong well i dont need it known where ) and the reason i got off it with a caution was the fact that even though i had a high powered car at the time I never had a conviction for anything not even no seat belt ect

I don't give a rats about any other part of aus in regards to these laws i know i have copped it and we need to educate people that there is things that can change if they drive right

I dont want to get into an argument over this just listen to what is said thats all

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #119
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jim... READ up:http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gPenalties.htm

The bit you need to pay attention to:

"Drink driving offences are not limited to public roads. They can be committed on private property."

Jim.. LOOKY HERE:

Driving a motor vehicle on land which is not a highway (e.g. private property not open to the public).

All of the usual drink driving laws apply to driving on private property.
All of the motor vehicle accident laws apply to accidents on private property.
The majority of driving laws do not apply on private property (e.g. seatbelts, speeding).
You are not obliged to state your name and address upon request unless you are found driving on a "highway".
You are not obliged to produce a drivers licence (or be licenced) unless you are found driving on a "highway".
A private road or driveway on a farm might still be a highway if it is open to the public for driving.
The offence of 'driving in a manner dangerous to the public' can be committed anywhere. Careless driving can be committed on a highway only.
Drink driving offences can be committed anywhere within the State, even in your locked garage.

SATISFIED JIM???

Last edited by 4Vman; 28-07-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 28-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #120
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holy crap.. i can be done for moving cars in my backyard ****ed...