Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #91
anto
Za Dom spremni

wow, that would sway you to a HSV ? with loyal customers like that no wonder they cant sell cars !
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #92
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
wow, that would sway you to a HSV ? with loyal customers like that no wonder they cant sell cars !
If I were to spend $60k+ on a car I want to make sure I get the car that I feel fits my needs and my budget. Blind loyalty doesn't come into it at all. Did it once and was deservedly burnt badly from the experience.
Whoever has the car in my price range and with the features I'd like gets my $$.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #93
BOSHOG
avenge me

i dont know how useful this feature would be to me, but i sure do like the fact HSV are doing something like this for their customers
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #94
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
I think in all the cafuffle about the Motec data logger people have missed the BISS (uber important when your glasshouse is tiny) and self-park on Caprice (one f the few cars that will be handy to have it).

Good on HSV for trying to deliver something when they're parent company went bankrupt and left a 2 year hole in the powertrain development
Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #95
HSE2

For those that might not remember this is simply a continuation of the John Cretin plan that was stolen from the desk of our very own David Flint.

It’s a blueprint from Blueprint. It came out around the same time as Skaife published his 100 or so point road map to success but it essentially signalled HSV’s retreat from simply being a badge on the boot to the intention to move towards an emphasis on torque and technology based advancement. Brand identification and separation over that of the donor product also made the list as priorities.

Obviously having ready access to one essential ingredient of the performance cake expedited the process somewhat, but credit where it’s due from me. They have continued on that path with reckless abandonment.

It’s not really new or innovative in terms of the industry as a hole.

We have had our own discussion over the years, and on multiple occasions, to have suggestions like we see today in the HSV product engraved on our wish list. They aren't really original thoughts but a nod towards features that define performance products the world over.

As FTe heralded a new owner-> company relationship, these so called gimmicks are designed to usher in a new generation of owner to product relationship and involvement.

The design of these cars essentially makes it impossible for HSV and FPV to really go about redesigning the interior to create the illusion consumers are buying something that is truly representative of the branding they are now marketed with.

When reviews and consumers alike comment that the GT or the R8 don’t provide enough interior distinction over their cheaper donor bases, it drives those respective companies to look at features that add member based appeal but add that separation that has been identified as important.

We, this forum, have identified the HMI as a point of development in exactly the same way as HSV have done with E3, possibly not to the same extent, but we have called it many times in the past.

Things like selectable programs that change the cars performance and behaviour to suit conditions, bespoke steering wheels with possible shift or data acquisition also suggestions in similar vain. HSV went the cost effective route to provide that one upmanship and give the home-grown product some world stage endeavour.

Many have asked for this direction with the FPV product, the original formation of the company to push in this sort of direction. It hasn’t gone to plan for the boys in blue but that does not diminish from the commitment to the brand or product.

Adaptive dampers were a considerable investment as were the HSV specific taillight, but that money was about 25% of what FPV have spent on this new engine. The effort in the engine the equal of what HSV have had the luxury of spending in multiple areas in the same time frame.

We have had to be patient. If you are providing a performance product you firstly have to make sure the product does actually perform and rightly so has been the focus on our side. But never forget it is our side that have always championed total performance and total packaging. We might be slow to the party at times but when we arrive it is with a superior, better engineered, product. As Ford enthusiasts that’s a quality embraced early at age but my full compliments go to the people at HSV. One can’t help look over that proverbial fence and feel a slight tinge of envy at the embracing of a direction that was originally the sole mantra of Tickford and initially FPV.

Today we might get beaten at some of our own game. Tomorrow we reinvent it.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 07-09-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: I can't type. Brain and fingers are not team mates.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #96
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
For those that might not remember this is simply a continuation of the John Cretin plan that was stolen from the desk of our very own David Flint.

It’s a blueprint from Blueprint. It came out around the same time as Skaife published his 100 or so point road map to success but it essentially signalled HSV’s retreat from simply being a badge on the boot to the intention to move towards an emphasis on torque and technology based advancement. Brand identification and separation over that of the donor product also made the list as priorities.

Obviously having ready access to one essential ingredient of the performance cake expedited the process somewhat, but credit where it’s due from me. They have continued on that path with reckless abandonment.

It’s not really new or innovative in terms of the industry as a hole.

We have had our own discussion over the years, and on multiple occasions, to have suggestions like we see today in the HSV product engraved on our wish list. They aren't really original thoughts but a nod towards features that define performance products the world over.

As FTe heralded a new owner-> company relationship, these so called gimmicks are designed to usher in a new generation of owner to product relationship and involvement.

The design of these cars essentially makes it impossible for HSV and FPV to really go about redesigning the interior to create the illusion consumers are buying something that is truly representative of the branding they are now marketed with.

When reviews and consumers alike comment that the GT or the R8 don’t provide enough interior distinction over their cheaper donor bases it drives those respective companies to look at features that add member based appeal but add that separation that has been identified as important.

We, this forum, have identified the HMI as a point of development in exactly the same way as HSV have done with E3, possibly no to the same extent, but we have called it many times in the past.

Things like selectable programs that change the cars performance and behaviour to suit conditions, bespoke steering wheels with possible shift or data acquisition was also a suggestion in similar vain. HSV went the cost effective way to provide that one upmanship and give the home-grown product some world stage endeavour.

Many have asked for this direction with the FPV product, the original formation of the company to push in this sort of direction. It hasn’t gone to plan for the boys in blue but that does not diminish from the commitment to the brand or product.

Adaptive dampers were a considerable investment as were the HSV specific taillight, but that money was about 25% of what FPV have spent on this new engine. The effort in the engine the equal of what HSV have had the luxury of spending in multiple areas in the same time frame.

We have had to be patient. If you are providing a performance product you firstly have to make sure the product does actually performance and rightly so has been the focus on our side. But never forget it is our side that have always championed total performance and total packaging. We might be slow to the party at times but when we arrive it is with a superior, better engineered, product. As Ford enthusiasts that’s a quality embraced early at age but my full compliments go to the people at HSV. One can’t help look over that proverbial fence and feel a slight tinge of envy at the embracing of a direction that was originally the sole mantra of Tickford and initially FPV.

I must say, that's one of the best posts I've ever seen on this forum. Rep points to HSE2
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #97
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
That pretty much sums it up .
Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #98
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool LPI? Dual fuel

What do they mean when they say
seemless between petrol and LPG (propane)
dont they call it LPG anymore
well I have a Hitech for the day LPG dual fuel system
from the factory in my AU series one 1998 model
and mine changes "seemlessly" from petrol to LPG
with no disernable difference in power
and swaps from petrol to LPG on startup so whats new?
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #99
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
What do they mean when they say
seemless between petrol and LPG (propane)
dont they call it LPG anymore
well I have a Hitech for the day LPG dual fuel system
from the factory in my AU series one 1998 model
and mine changes "seemlessly" from petrol to LPG
with no disernable difference in power
and swaps from petrol to LPG on startup so whats new?
thanks John

LPG can be comprised of propane, or butane, or mixtures of both. Only real difference is boiling point.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #100
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Not taking the bait........and totally irrelevant......06 model v an 2010 model.....WTF and WHY ???

I would love to see the new S/C COYOTE with all its striped livery ( if you're that way inclined ) and no EDI ricer W A N K ......go head to head with a GRANGE..........would you like to see that.

Anyways, we're waaaaay of topic so don't bother responding again.
You have to admit the vinyl stickers on these FPV's is trying a bit too hard to replicate the real thing if you know what i mean.I suppose you got to give em some sort of credit they are trying.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #101
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
You have to admit the vinyl stickers on these FPV's is trying a bit too hard to replicate the real thing if you know what i mean.I suppose you got to give em some sort of credit they are trying.
The only "real thing" in my book were the bathurst models that were homologated to be raced and won the race. Anything else is only trying to replicate the breed.

Here ate the real things IMHO

Ford Cortina Mk 1 GT
Ford Cortina GT 500
XR Falcon GT
XW Phase II
XY Phase III
XA GT
XC Falcon Cobra homologated special....you know the one !

Anything else is only trying to capture the essence of the PURE RACE WINNING homologated specials.

The newer GT's are fine road cruisers - anything that can get to 250+ Klmh ( potentially in a controlled environment of course ) is still damned impressive in my book - with or without stickers..........

Now the new S/C GT's may rewrite the performance benchmark for any Australian performance car period. We'll wait and see what the stickers on that package look like.............LOL

Its all good....enjoy what you have.

Last edited by Whitey-AMG; 08-09-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #102
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Another 1971 hardcore?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #103
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

curious, how fast would 3480rpm in 5th gear be?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #104
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

180km/h on the nose, assuming ZF6 and diff ratio's aren't changed from current.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #105
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
The only "real thing" in my book were the bathurst models that were homologated to be raced and won the race. Anything else is only trying to replicate the breed.

Here ate the real things IMHO

Ford Cortina Mk 1 GT
Ford Cortina GT 500
XR Falcon GT
XW Phase II
XY Phase III
XA GT
XC Falcon Cobra homologated special....you know the one !

Anything else is only trying to capture the essence of the PURE RACE WINNING homologated specials.

The newer GT's are fine road cruisers - anything that can get to 250+ Klmh ( potentially in a controlled environment of course ) is still damned impressive in my book - with or without stickers..........

Now the new S/C GT's may rewrite the performance benchmark for any Australian performance car period. We'll wait and see what the stickers on that package look like.............LOL

Its all good....enjoy what you have.
I think you will find that the 77 cars were XBGT's so you missed a couple.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #106
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
I think you will find that the 77 cars were XBGT's so you missed a couple.
Yep .......technically speaking it was a rebodied XB 2 door coupe disguised as the XC Coupe.
Wouldn't you kill for one of those now !!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #107
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Yep .......technically speaking it was a rebodied XB 2 door coupe disguised as the XC Coupe.
Wouldn't you kill for one of those now !!
I think you will find they were JG66 cars so technically they were XBGT coupes.Other give aways were body differences that the XBGT coupes had over XC's a little off topic but it's good to let guys like yourself know about the true roots of the GT.Unfortanately these days it's only a sticker that defines a GT in a FPV. a true grand tourer yes but lacking in race heritage.Just own both and have best of both worlds.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 09-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #108
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Unfortanately these days it's only a sticker that defines a GT in a FPV. a true grand tourer yes but lacking in race heritage.Just own both and have best of both worlds.
Yes...too true and 100 % agreed.......but I'd rather have any of the new crop of GT's as my daily driver any day of the week over the old clunkers....been there and done that with the old ESP.....MUCH HAPPIER NOW......catchya.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #109
GTP-03

ita a good little feauture that will add to the driving experience of the car, as far as hsv hitting a performance ceiling, dont be fooled, remember they have the capacity to stretch there alloy v8 to 7 litres!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #110
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03
ita a good little feauture that will add to the driving experience of the car, as far as hsv hitting a performance ceiling, dont be fooled, remember they have the capacity to stretch there alloy v8 to 7 litres!
But they wont.... rumor is moving forward they're going to use smaller capacity engines with newer technology....

Old 10-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #111
Chopped
as in chopped

Superchargers, Turbos, More Tech, Less Tech, Larger Capacity, Smaller Capacity etc etc / All either side needs to do is drop 200-300kg of lard.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #112
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Heh, that's pretty cool. You could time your trip to Woolies and back.
HAHA good one!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #113
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
All either side needs to do is drop 200-300kg of lard.
Not going to happen, buyers want all the luxo features, and laws dictate all the safety features.

Alu or Carbon panels are too expensive to design, test, mass manufacture (in the small quantities Ford Aus do).

Old 10-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #114
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
Not going to happen, buyers want all the luxo features, and laws dictate all the safety features.

Alu or Carbon panels are too expensive to design, test, mass manufacture (in the small quantities Ford Aus do).
Agreed - and realistically - how much weight saving would there be from an aircon unit and premium stereo and sound deadening materials - at best 20 - 40 kg for the whole lot ? Bulkier and stiffer chassis - safety equipment and general size of the whole car would need to be compromised to really get a substantial weight saving. Either that or alu panels as you suggest........but can you imagine what the price of an XT would be - let alone a GT with these ?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #115
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
But they wont.... rumor is moving forward they're going to use smaller capacity engines with newer technology....
There working/testing ideas, including turbo charging, S/C and we all know the direct injection gas is coming..
When you have the quantity output of what they move in the states and so many users they will always have nice performance package, now FPV will reap similar rewards using an engine from the Sates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
180km/h on the nose, assuming ZF6 and diff ratio's aren't changed from current.
Hi Chris, your fairly handy with electronics, navigation company Garvin now have dongle that plugs into the OB2 port shows the diagnostics on 4 models of there sat nav, if someone could get these diagnostics to show up on our ICC screen like the Nissan GTR there would be plenty of buyers..... I think the money spent getting this done would come back to a after market developer in a hurry.
People spend $400 to $1200 on those OB2 port gauges, as you now all the info comes direct from or OB2 port its just how do we get it on to our ICC screens...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #116
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Hi Chris, your fairly handy with electronics, navigation company Garvin now have dongle that plugs into the OB2 port shows the diagnostics on 4 models of there sat nav, if someone could get these diagnostics to show up on our ICC screen like the Nissan GTR there would be plenty of buyers..... I think the money spent getting this done would come back to a after market developer in a hurry.
People spend $400 to $1200 on those OB2 port gauges, as you now all the info comes direct from or OB2 port its just how do we get it on to our ICC screens...
Why thank you.. lol.

I'm already doing such on my phone now. My old phone (still on my desk) has a video output, I've got video input on the ICC.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #117
JimNiki
71Mach1

That display looks like the Star Trek Lcars interface ...

I say it should have voice activation and all I have to do is say:

Engage Warp drive ...
(as long as it doesn't regularly warp the front rotors like my Mrs BA XT!)
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #118
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New E3 Pics have been released on Drive.

http://news.drive.com.au/photogaller...913-157qv.html
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #119
HSE2

New bonnet for Maloo.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #120
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And looks like new gills for Maloo aswell. Though I think that could be just the anniversary model.

Not too sure on the gauges on top of the new screen though.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post