Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #1111
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Drove my mates 1500 laramie with a 2700 Van and was very impressed. we went off road with it too all on standard tyres.

Its stacked with Luxuries and infotainment & has a feature called Etorque which kypez should like

it is a very big thing though but well suited to the NT where my mate lives.
I think they've improved the rear axle weight limit, which was a major hurdle originally for those who liked to be legal.

For kypez, I'm assuming only 1or 2 people on board and towing a car trailer plus car. Would be very well suited but yes, it is large.

I guess that's why landcruiser is popular as there are still a few people about that do like to have their cake and eat it too.
Old 21-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #1112
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
I'm annoyed that they have apparently deleted the low ride 4X2 Single Cab Chassis. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO LOOK LIKE BOB THE BUILDER FORD!

Ok, with that off my chest, reading the specs is interesting.

PX MK II XL C/C 4x2 2.2 -

118 kW @ 3200rpm
385 Nm @ 1600rpm
Kerb Weight: 1666 kg

New Gen XL C/C 4x2 2.0 -

125 kW @ 3500rpm
405 Nm @ 1750rpm
Kerb Weight: 1789kg

New Gen XL C/C 4x4 2.0TT -
154 kW @ 3750rpm
500 Nm @ 1750rpm
Kerb Weight: 1903kg

So while power and torque are up, it's only compensating for the new model being a fat bastard. And that's before adding a tray.

If I'm forced to have the high ride suspension, then I think I would just go for the 4x4 so that I can get the 2.0TT engine and 10-speed. But then I'm faced with the prospect of a $50,000 single cab work car. Not a spend I can really justify on a car that is meant to earn me money, not cost me money. And people wonder why Toyota sell so many 4x2 Hilux's each month.

Sorry, I really like the new Ranger, its the best in class as it has been for a long time now. I know Ford have access to the things I'm asking for, they just choose to ignore the little guy.
Ford are focusing on the high profit models. Even when they had the cheap petrol 4x2's they sold stuff all, so they ditched them. Toyota have that market stitched up with fleets as well.

Even the cheapy 4x2 Hilux's aren't cheap anymore though, cause they recently jacked up the price of them. Considerably if I remember correctly. In the region of 36k driveaway now, when they used to be under 30k not that long ago.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2022, 03:28 PM   #1113
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It’s almost time that Ford considered Maverick as a vehicle to sell below the new larger Ranger.
I think that would be more appropriate/ bigger market than trying to sell Single cab RWD tradie Utes.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #1114
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It’s almost time that Ford considered Maverick as a vehicle to sell below the new larger Ranger.
I think that would be more appropriate/ bigger market than trying to sell Single cab RWD tradie Utes.
Would require a new location to build it. Mexico is flat out just trying to supply even a fraction of the demand. They severely under called it.

But it might become an option as the Ranger continues to move upmarket.
Old 21-07-2022, 07:30 PM   #1115
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
I can't believe they completely missed the mark with Maverick. And Bronco Sport. And Bronco..........

They told us several years ago that they were going to focus on trucks and SUV's. They bring back legacy nameplates that would have resonated all around the world, then took the easy road and made them USA only. Typical lazy American syndrome.

I have defended Ford and their decisions over the years, but they just keep under calling themselves. How is a supporter supposed to believe in the product when Ford won't even have the confidence to back themselves and give buyers what they want? And I'm over the excuses for product not being engineered for sale outside of the US, every other car company can do it, yet Ford have no interest.

So, good news if you want to buy a diesel dual cab pickup or 4WD, too bad otherwise.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2022, 07:33 PM   #1116
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
The second row in the Ranger is not all that roomy. I had hoped this next gen increased rear leg room but from all accounts, the cabin is as tight as before. A smaller ute in dual cab form would be not very useful. Maybe in single cab for sure.

I wish they had increased second row space. Hard to get anyone in the back with my seat in my driving position. Everest has a bit more room. Also, I hope they fixed the seat belt location; rear passengers would kick the bottom anchor point pulling on the front passengers belts. Annoying as hell in the Everest.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2022, 07:52 PM   #1117
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ford are focusing on the high profit models. Even when they had the cheap petrol 4x2's they sold stuff all, so they ditched them. Toyota have that market stitched up with fleets as well.

Even the cheapy 4x2 Hilux's aren't cheap anymore though, cause they recently jacked up the price of them. Considerably if I remember correctly. In the region of 36k driveaway now, when they used to be under 30k not that long ago.
Diesel 4x2 workmate is, as of about a month ago, $35k D/a in QLD at least.. Bro in law purchased 2 of them for his small business. The petrol was cheaper, not sure by how much, I can just confirm the Diesel price... Triton 4x2 base model (but hi-rider) is less than $30k for the petrol, low $30k for the diesel.

Cant be much margin at that sort of level, cant blame ford for sticking to the more expensive, higher margin stuff.... Seems to work for them..

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2022, 08:06 PM   #1118
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
The second row in the Ranger is not all that roomy.
you're kidding right? I have the seat right back and there's plenty of knee room and elbow room for rear seat adult passengers.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-07-2022, 08:14 PM   #1119
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Diesel 4x2 workmate is, as of about a month ago, $35k D/a in QLD at least.. Bro in law purchased 2 of them for his small business. The petrol was cheaper, not sure by how much, I can just confirm the Diesel price... Triton 4x2 base model (but hi-rider) is less than $30k for the petrol, low $30k for the diesel.

Cant be much margin at that sort of level, cant blame ford for sticking to the more expensive, higher margin stuff.... Seems to work for them..
Margins would still be high even at those $25K-$35K prices the povvo spec cab chassis Thailand Specials were at, given they've all been using the same petrol and diesel engines for yonks, with drum brakes in a body on frame vehicle it can't be too expensive to build. You look under the bonnet of those things and there's nothing there, they don't have heaps of electronics either.

Schrodinger's Thailand Special, simultaneously the best and worst vehicles

Just the margins are even higher on the dual cab 'fancy' Thailand Specials.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2022, 08:43 PM   #1120
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The second row in the Ranger is not all that roomy. I had hoped this next gen increased rear leg room but from all accounts, the cabin is as tight as before. A smaller ute in dual cab form would be not very useful. Maybe in single cab for sure.

I wish they had increased second row space. Hard to get anyone in the back with my seat in my driving position. Everest has a bit more room. Also, I hope they fixed the seat belt location; rear passengers would kick the bottom anchor point pulling on the front passengers belts. Annoying as hell in the Everest.

Rear legroom in the Maverick is quite good apparently.
It's the same length as the Falcon wagon, but has a much shorter front end.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2022, 08:46 PM   #1121
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maverick rear room.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/fo...64-tested.754/
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2022, 09:22 PM   #1122
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

This might shock you but the new Maverick has similar hip, shoulder and leg room as a PX3 Ranger.
I used the American cars.com/research/compare vehicles tool to see this…

So be prepared to be shocked by a so-called mid sized Ute being shown up by a compact Ute
With similar interior space….doesn’t seem right does it?

And this is why Gen 2 T6 Ranger needed to grow in size…..

Front shoulder room
Ranger……………56.7”
Maverick……….57.3”

Front Hip Room
Ranger…………..55.8”
Maverick………..55.4”

Front Leg Room
Ranger……………43.1”
Maverick……….42.8”

Rear Shoulder Room
Ranger……………56.3”
Maverick………..55.3”

Rear Hip Room
Ranger……………53.5”
Maverick……….54.1”

Rear Leg Room
Ranger…………..34.5”
Maverick……….35.9”

Last edited by jpd80; 21-07-2022 at 09:28 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2022, 11:22 PM   #1123
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the topic of the gear stick I saw a video today that showed it moving like a traditional automatic gear stick. That's good news since I thought it was one of those dodgy ones that always sit in the centre position no matter what gear it's in.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2022, 12:28 AM   #1124
GT1533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Just the margins are even higher on the dual cab 'fancy' Thailand Specials.
Not wrong there. The Ranger is assembled in Thailand using engines, transmissions and parts made in Thailand, India or China — all countries with labour rates of about one dollar per hour. My educated guess is that the factory cost of production has to be less than $20k per copy. With the average price around $70k each, Ford is taking in $56k after GST and dealer margin, so about $30k+ gross margin.

Anybody buying a Thailand special is getting their pants pulled down….
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 01:14 AM   #1125
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Rear legroom in the Maverick is quite good apparently.
It's the same length as the Falcon wagon, but has a much shorter front end.
Quote:
This might shock you but the new Maverick has similar hip, shoulder and leg room as a PX3 Ranger.
I used the American cars.com/research/compare vehicles tool to see this…

So be prepared to be shocked by a so-called mid sized Ute being shown up by a compact Ute
With similar interior space….doesn’t seem right does it?

And this is why Gen 2 T6 Ranger needed to grow in size…..

Front shoulder room
Ranger……………56.7”
Maverick……….57.3”

Front Hip Room
Ranger…………..55.8”
Maverick………..55.4”

Front Leg Room
Ranger……………43.1”
Maverick……….42.8”

Rear Shoulder Room
Ranger……………56.3”
Maverick………..55.3”

Rear Hip Room
Ranger……………53.5”
Maverick……….54.1”

Rear Leg Room
Ranger…………..34.5”
Maverick……….35.9”
There you go. It's got more leg room than the Ranger by a little! I stand corrected! Bring on the Maverick!

Old 22-07-2022, 01:16 AM   #1126
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
you're kidding right? I have the seat right back and there's plenty of knee room and elbow room for rear seat adult passengers.
No, not kidding. It's why we went with the Everest for the better second row. Tall family and we just weren't comfortable in the Ranger. Everest was better but needed more. Let's see what the new one brings.

Old 22-07-2022, 05:40 AM   #1127
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fair enough. I think my expectations are too high for what we can engineer in this product category.

I'll just wait till someone releases something that fits the bill for what I want like the F150 promises. Or Rivian. 0-100 in 3 seconds and can tow more than the Ranger (probably not for the same distance but it would work a treat for what I'd use it for!). Till then, we wait.

The Patrol is bigger than the Everest and does a great 7.5 second drive. Its a great car let down by aging tech. New one is rumoured soon so lets see what it brings.

Or even the Land Rover Disco which is 6.8 to 100 with a Diesel and about the same weight as an Everest.

I don't buy second hand cars. Its just something I don't do.
My son sold his Y62 Patrol, too many tech issues, including having to fit a new trans under warranty. yesterday he put a deposit on a grey Wildtrak - but an 8 month wait
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2022, 08:03 AM   #1128
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
Not wrong there. The Ranger is assembled in Thailand using engines, transmissions and parts made in Thailand, India or China — all countries with labour rates of about one dollar per hour. My educated guess is that the factory cost of production has to be less than $20k per copy. With the average price around $70k each, Ford is taking in $56k after GST and dealer margin, so about $30k+ gross margin.

Anybody buying a Thailand special is getting their pants pulled down….
If you think all the parts going into one of these rangers, plus labour, plus facilities expenses, plus transport plus R&D is $20k worth your absolutely kidding yourself. Educated
4 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #1129
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
No, not kidding. It's why we went with the Everest for the better second row. Tall family and we just weren't comfortable in the Ranger. Everest was better but needed more. Let's see what the new one brings.

I tend to think all dual cabs suffer from this. Our Pajero Sport is also tight (for my liking, its basically a Triton) in the second row but I didnt want to spend the extra for a full blown 4x4.

Not sure how the RAM or F150 differs, I assume they would sort that issue out.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #1130
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
If you think all the parts going into one of these rangers, plus labour, plus facilities expenses, plus transport plus R&D is $20k worth your absolutely kidding yourself. Educated
Dont forget warranty costs have to be factored in as well, so any issues for the next 5 years are covered dollar wise.
GTLEGEND is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #1131
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
My son sold his Y62 Patrol, too many tech issues, including having to fit a new trans under warranty. yesterday he put a deposit on a grey Wildtrak - but an 8 month wait
That's a worry that it has tech issues with not a lot of tech!

Old 22-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #1132
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I tend to think all dual cabs suffer from this. Our Pajero Sport is also tight (for my liking, its basically a Triton) in the second row but I didnt want to spend the extra for a full blown 4x4.

The bigger utes have a lot more second row room and by the sounds of it, so does the smaller Maverick!

Width is also one. The territory was wider than the Everest. I wish they maintained at least Territory width (if you remember the Everest test mule with the wider territory rear section showed how much wider it was). Can fit 3 in the second row comfortably. Can't do that in the Ranger/Everest. Even the ads for the Ranger, they have two men in the outward seats and a smaller woman in the middle seat.

3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #1133
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Educated not, Profit would be lucky to be 10 %, and probably less.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #1134
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The bigger utes have a lot more second row room and by the sounds of it, so does the smaller Maverick!

Width is also one. The territory was wider than the Everest. I wish they maintained at least Territory width (if you remember the Everest test mule with the wider territory rear section showed how much wider it was). Can fit 3 in the second row comfortably. Can't do that in the Ranger/Everest. Even the ads for the Ranger, they have two men in the outward seats and a smaller woman in the middle seat.

Friends of ours just upgraded to a territory from a Subaru forester due to needing to fit 3 child seats in the car and not wanting to go to a van or much larger 4wd.

The ability to fit 3 across the seat used to be standard. I guess some of that loss of room is side impact safety.
Old 22-07-2022, 10:24 AM   #1135
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I haven’t looked into the Maverick much, but unsure what the point of a slightly smaller than Ranger Ute is?

It would be funny if the size of trucks keep trending down and we end up with an almost sedan based ute again ��

Hope Ford kept a hold of the FGX ute plans
Old 22-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #1136
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

The Ram has enough space to lay on the floor in the 2nd row - seats all fold up for storage underneath they really are that much bigger
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #1137
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
The Ram has enough space to lay on the floor in the 2nd row - seats all fold up for storage underneath they really are that much bigger
Not in the Express only in Laramie and Limited..
Old 22-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #1138
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1
Educated not, Profit would be lucky to be 10 %, and probably less.
Somewhere in the region of 7-8% is most likely from what I can gather. It cost approx $1 billion to develop a new model, and that development cost has to be spread over every vehicle they make. A lot of people just assume that making a car just costs whatever the parts and labour are. Forgetting a thousand other things that cost the company money getting it into the buyers hands.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2022, 01:41 PM   #1139
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Somewhere in the region of 7-8% is most likely from what I can gather. It cost approx $1 billion to develop a new model, and that development cost has to be spread over every vehicle they make. A lot of people just assume that making a car just costs whatever the parts and labour are. Forgetting a thousand other things that cost the company money getting it into the buyers hands.
There's a reason makita cost more than ozito.
Old 22-07-2022, 01:57 PM   #1140
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And shipping Thailand to Aus and roadfreight in Thailand to port and Aus Ports to hold pd centre then roadfreight to dealer, there would be a fair $ amount in those cost items.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post