Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #61
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford to Make Early Exit?

Surely a few adds on T.V for the FGX would have helped sales?

I have only seen two on the road and they haver been out for a couple of months already.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #62
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
Surely a few adds on T.V for the FGX would have helped sales?
falcon sold more than they built in january.

the line rate is set at about 80odd cars a day. thats unlikely to change (increase) between now and shutdown. Ford know what they need to do, and have said many many times they won't pull out early.

they are in shutdown mode, which means things will be done a bit differently due to stock levels and suppliers etc.

those that want a large car are well aware of the players in the market. anyone who thinks there are potential customers out there who aren't aware of 'falcon' are kidding themselves. anyone who isn't aware of falcon isn't going to buy one anyway.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #63
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
anyone who thinks there are potential customers out there who aren't aware of 'falcon' are kidding themselves. anyone who isn't aware of falcon isn't going to buy one anyway.
the issue is more that there will be plenty of people who aren't aware there is a new model. at 300-odd units/month, its going to take many months before people see their first one..... I guess I cant fathom the logic of being willing to spend $150mil on RD but not even 1-2% of that to market it.

then again, if Ford do go the distance, on current sales rates there'll be a stockpile of cars in the Ford yard eventually being flogged at 'going out of business' prices. maybe that's what people are counting on. anyone want an XR6 for $19990? ;)
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #64
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
the issue is more that there will be plenty of people who aren't aware there is a new model.
rubbish! anyone seriously looking at a new car, and considering the large car market, would be well aware of falcon (given its one of the longest standing nameplates in the automotive world) and a 2 second internet search will reveal a new model, whether they knew previously or not.

anyone looking to buy a new car would browse the internet.

as for sales, ford are selling all they make. whats the problem? they have a target, and are currently meeting that target.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #65
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
I guess I cant fathom the logic of being willing to spend $150mil on RD but not even 1-2% of that to market it.
A third of that was paid for by the government. Another third was paid by Ford HQ in America. 150mil is tiny for a new model and Ford Aus only put in 50mil
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #66
V8 6I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
That's all good and well however my point was which mate is going to buy a new large sedan between now and next years shutdown?
I am not their accountant so no idea, none of my or your business anyway.Just making a point they drive big Fords but didnt know about FGX.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #67
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's funny how the its no market for 'large' sedans but there is a market for 'medium' sedans which happen to be as large, cost about the same, use similar amount of fuel. The problem in the marketing was they didn't down play the size and they weren't patriotic enough. Go to the USA and every second ad is saying by American. We haven't had an aussie is charge for a while and those that were had sold out to further their career. Throw in governments that support the manufacturing by the least amount of every developed nation put the nail in the coffin. Final question is whether they are making money on the Falcon? If not then they will close. Companies no longer rely on customer satisfaction. Their 'customers' are the share holders, and they don't care about you and me, only the bottom line.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #68
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
rubbish! anyone seriously looking at a new car, and considering the large car market, would be well aware of falcon (given its one of the longest standing nameplates in the automotive world) and a 2 second internet search will reveal a new model, whether they knew previously or not.

anyone looking to buy a new car would browse the internet.

as for sales, ford are selling all they make. whats the problem? they have a target, and are currently meeting that target.
You assume people are doing internet searches using the words "Ford" &/ or "Falcon". With dropping sales of both, I wouldn't call this as a given to start with... If your only thought of marketing is "People do internet searches & if they are series know about our product" then you must by the Marketing director at Ford Australia!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #69
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
You assume people are doing internet searches using the words "Ford" &/ or "Falcon". With dropping sales of both, I wouldn't call this as a given to start with... If your only thought of marketing is "People do internet searches & if they are series know about our product" then you must by the Marketing director at Ford Australia!!
are you suggesting those looking for a large car are unaware of a car called a ford falcon??

give me a break!
Old 16-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #70
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
are you suggesting those looking for a large car are unaware of a car called a ford falcon??
they are unlikely to know there's a new one, so probably aren't even bothering to search for an FG. not everyone is a car fan, not everyone follows what's going on in the market.
Old 16-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #71
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
falcon sold more than they built in january.
how many days of downtime in January?

Quote:
the line rate is set at about 80odd cars a day.
for just Falcon or sedan/ute/Territory? if the latter, its still a surplus of around 25 cars per day. that extrapolates to an awful lot of surplus stock.

that's not a criticism, just an observation and a guess at what might happen with stock over the coming months. honestly, if there's a fire sale towards the end on some of this stock, some people may find it hard to resist a second Falcon in the garage.
Old 16-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #72
prydey
Rob

Quote:

for just Falcon or sedan/ute/Territory? if the latter, its still a surplus of around 25 cars per day. that extrapolates to an awful lot of surplus stock.

t
from the 'falcon sales january' thread

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...78&postcount=5

7 days production in january.
Old 16-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #73
prydey
Rob

Quote:
they are unlikely to know there's a new one, so probably aren't even bothering to search for an FG. not everyone is a car fan, not everyone follows what's going on in the market.
like i said, a 2 sec internet search will reveal all
http://www.ford.com.au/vehicles

you are right, the bulk of people wouldn't keep abreast of what new models are on offer, so i doubt it would be just ford's new models people are unaware of, esp considering there are 60+ brands on sale here.
Old 16-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #74
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
like i said, a 2 sec internet search will reveal all
http://www.ford.com.au/vehicles

Why do they still show the old model Falcon on the website ?? Are they still building them??

I clicked on it first ...took me a while to find the new model.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #75
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
the issue is more that there will be plenty of people who aren't aware there is a new model. at 300-odd units/month, its going to take many months before people see their first one..... I guess I cant fathom the logic of being willing to spend $150mil on RD but not even 1-2% of that to market it.

then again, if Ford do go the distance, on current sales rates there'll be a stockpile of cars in the Ford yard eventually being flogged at 'going out of business' prices. maybe that's what people are counting on. anyone want an XR6 for $19990? ;)
Seriously the most they make is about 550 sedans a month (for a full 20 days of production) give or take a few. This drops when you have public holidays, and shutdowns.
Old 16-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #76
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

give me a break!
Quite possible so!!! There was wide spread announcements Falcon was stopping production. Why would the average person know Ford was still building them for 2 more years & was actually releasing a new model? Considering some took that as Ford was leaving Australia altogether, why can't you understand that some don’t know anything about Falcon. If your whole point is "any one that is in the market, should know because they'll do an internet search". Why does any company brother to advertise anything then... Customers will just do an internet search & find them.

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter as it will be gone soon. I’ll enjoy mine for as long as I can..
Old 16-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #77
prydey
Rob

Quote:
There was wide spread announcements Falcon was stopping production. .
oh, you mean that announcement where they said they would continue production right up until october 2016?
Old 16-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #78
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
oh, you mean that announcement where they said they would continue production right up until october 2016?
that wasn't the headline!!
Old 16-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #79
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
that wasn't the headline!!

Pick your BS media headline then .......
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #80
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

that's not a criticism, just an observation and a guess at what might happen with stock over the coming months. honestly, if there's a fire sale towards the end on some of this stock, some people may find it hard to resist a second Falcon in the garage.
Theres very little excess stock laying around...
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #81
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When they were making 400 cars a day, they were open. Now that they make 80 cars a day, they are 20% open, 80% closed, doesnt really matter now when it reaches 100%.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #82
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Looks like the question has been answered..............

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11432719
Old 19-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #83
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Looks like the question has been answered..............

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11432719
Nope. That means nothing. The ever expanding Ford Oz engineering team will take over the building. Currently there double stacked.
Old 19-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #84
Elements

Can someone please enlighten me as to how sales & marketing moving to Richmond, with more of the (ever-expanding) Asia Pacific PD Engineering functions moving into a reno'd ex-HQ building, means that manufacturing will cease early?

Really clever, some people.
Elements is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #85
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements View Post
Can someone please enlighten me as to how sales & marketing moving to Richmond, with more of the (ever-expanding) Asia Pacific PD Engineering functions moving into a reno'd ex-HQ building, means that manufacturing will cease early?

Really clever, some people.
It won't.

October 2016 is it !!
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #86
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
It's funny how the its no market for 'large' sedans but there is a market for 'medium' sedans which happen to be as large, cost about the same, use similar amount of fuel. The problem in the marketing was they didn't down play the size and they weren't patriotic enough. Go to the USA and every second ad is saying by American. We haven't had an aussie is charge for a while and those that were had sold out to further their career. Throw in governments that support the manufacturing by the least amount of every developed nation put the nail in the coffin. Final question is whether they are making money on the Falcon? If not then they will close. Companies no longer rely on customer satisfaction. Their 'customers' are the share holders, and they don't care about you and me, only the bottom line.
i dont think so old mate, the locals are so used to losing money the small amount of time left with the doors open it wont make any difference, and aside from all that they said they will employ x amount till stumps.............. and the good will keeping their word is probably worth way more than the few bucks that might be gained by closing early.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #87
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think people NOT in the FULL know got wind of the HQ relocation to Richmond and stopped listening about some of the PD team moving in to the renovated HQ building and from there the rumour spread about manufacturing shutdown. I actually heard one caller on 3AW claim his father told him the plant was shutting down. Next minute it became a news headline for a few hours. Now that we know the full story we can see how those whispers get so far out of hand and lead to misinformation.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: